Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geordon Blanton from Johnson Central commits to Marshall
kai Wrote:I will say Aaron would be recruited anyway =, if you throw 90 someone going to hear about it. He would not have opportunities he has now though.

Playing name the Kid, name kids from 14 15 regions form last 10 years or so to Play baseball at D1 level. Chandler Shepard be obvious one. Hamilton from Pikeville at UK now. There are not many, why? Baseball talent not great, could be part of it. Lack of exposure, in my opinion, is part of it.

I will agree with 74 that if our HS coaches took more active role in promoting kids it would help. Feltner appears to do decent job at it JC does good job promoting all their players and that about it.

I will also agree with 74 that strictly playing travel ball is not answer, player and parents need to be selfish. What I mean by that is they need to self promote like 74 suggests with video and social media. I would/have do/done this in addition to travel.

JC (Greg Horne I believe) did a very good video for Geordon.

Lawrence County has their own baseball YouTube page. As a parent, and fan, it's great to watch highlight videos. My kid loved them.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Lawrence County has their own baseball YouTube page. As a parent, and fan, it's great to watch highlight videos. My kid loved them.

I completely agree with what Kai said. You do a great job promoting players. The YouTube channel is a great idea.

I know most high schools also have websites now for their teams, and that is another great way to introduce players to people. Instead of having to sending coaches videos, you can send them a link and they are able to see other players from your teams as well.
kai Wrote:I will say Aaron would be recruited anyway =, if you throw 90 someone going to hear about it. He would not have opportunities he has now though.

Playing name the Kid, name kids from 14 15 regions form last 10 years or so to Play baseball at D1 level. Chandler Shepard be obvious one. Hamilton from Pikeville at UK now. There are not many, why? Baseball talent not great, could be part of it. Lack of exposure, in my opinion, is part of it.

I will agree with 74 that if our HS coaches took more active role in promoting kids it would help. Feltner appears to do decent job at it JC does good job promoting all their players and that about it.

I will also agree with 74 that strictly playing travel ball is not answer, player and parents need to be selfish. What I mean by that is they need to self promote like 74 suggests with video and social media. I would/have do/done this in addition to travel.

JC (Greg Horne I believe) did a very good video for Geordon.

I agree exposure is important. I guess what I am trying to get at is that the inflated prices it takes to get exposure isn't worth it. When you add in the variable of those teenage kids having to play 9-10 months a year, it is definetely not worth it. They let it get way out of control and it has led to more and more injuries from overuse. They need to be brought along slowly and when I see a 19-20 year old pitcher getting called up it makes my stomach turn. They are not physically ready to take on 250 innings a year while they are still growing. That is what minor leagues are for. So when they get exposed to even more of that an early age it will always lead to some type of surgery. The argument has always been those D1 prospects need to pitch that much at an early age so they can get use to it, but they are not taking in to account how their body develops. There is a reason when you look at pictures from guys in high school to when they are seniors in college that they look tiny. It's because they are still kids and all of this "exposure" will lead to injury, especially if they are throwing 100+ pitches a game in 7 innings.

You brought up Chandler Shepherd. He began pitching at a high level while still in middle school. Granted, he was the best pitcher in the town so obviously he would be brought up. If we would have known the risks more throughly then his parents might have decided not to let him pitch until he was a freshman. No fault really, it is an evolving science and we are just now seeing the results of the past 15 years or so in regards to arm stress at an early age.
baseball1974 Wrote:I completely agree with what Kai said. You do a great job promoting players. The YouTube channel is a great idea.

I know most high schools also have websites now for their teams, and that is another great way to introduce players to people. Instead of having to sending coaches videos, you can send them a link and they are able to see other players from your teams as well.

My kid graduated a few years ago. I'm just a parent, nothing else nothing more. I don't promote or have anything to do with this page.
Past time, pbr, cincy flames: ive seen 15+ scouts at these summer showcase tourneys in the past 10 year.
It may not be the head coach always. But you can bet they got scouts at these tourneys by the handful.
[Image: http://favim.com/orig/201105/01/Favim.com-30930.jpg]

This thread has the 'rails' to go many different ways, so before we get to far off the original topic of Geordon Blanton committing to play baseball at Marshall.... let's try to stay as close to that as possible.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:My kid graduated a few years ago. I'm just a parent, nothing else nothing more. I don't promote or have anything to do with this page.

I didn't mean it like that, I apologize. When I said "you," it was actually suppose to say "you all." I meant "LC" in regards to their program as a whole and that they do a great job promoting players, not at all how it sounded.
stripedofficial Wrote:Past time, pbr, cincy flames: ive seen 15+ scouts at these summer showcase tourneys in the past 10 year.

stripedofficial Wrote:It may not be the head coach always. But you can bet they got scouts at these tourneys by the handful.

15 scouts for a tournament that size sounds about right. I am agreeing with you all that scouts attend these events. The only thing I am trying to get across is that; 1.) the numbers are nowhere near accurate, and 2.)the motive for these scouts attending isn't at all what you are led to believe.

The idea in-which these scouts are sent to these events to "find" talent is not correct. They have a list of players they take with them that has a small paragraph for each player they have been recruiting that tells you their parents names and other pertinent information about that recruit in order for them to look good in front of their family. They are there to watch kids they have already made contact with. ALL of the players they are there to see would have been recruited regardless of travel ball.

They have brainwashed players and parents into believing that in-order to play baseball in college you have to pay an enormous amount of money so they can be on a travel team. Nothing could be further from the truth.
To me theirs a difference in travel ball and showcase events.
Travel ball you travel and play some tourneys. May see some scouts, may not.
But the scouts are always at the showcase events.

And sorry pulp, Blanton is a great athlete and kid. Ive interacted with him many times across the span of his career. As good of an athlete that he is, hes a better person. He will succeed at whatever he chooses to do in life. I have no doubts about that.
Congrats to Mr. Blanton, I hope he does well at Marshall. Good school, close to home!