Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Geordon Blanton from Johnson Central commits to Marshall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.jcgoldeneagles.com/main/adnews/ID/41975616

Johnson Central all world athlete Geordan Blanton has verbally committed to play baseball for Marshall University. Blanton is a state champion wrestler who is expected to win his 2nd title this season, an all state WR and current QB/WR/DB for the top ranked 4A team in the state on the gridiron, and a two time all state baseball player who will likely be a finalist for Mr. Baseball this upcoming season on what is expected to be a highly ranked preseason baseball squad. Needless to say, Blanton has excelled at everything he has ever done athletically.

Blanton had offers from Division 1 programs for football, wrestling, and baseball but settled on what many consider his best sport in baseball. His long list of offers across all sports for all divisions was over 60 and growing.

Blanton's unique athletic gifts have made him a candidate for the Wha-Wha Jones award (best all around male athlete in the state of Kentucky) to be awarded the week of the boys basketball state tournament. In baseball alone last season, Blanton led his team in HR's, RBI's, steals, fielding percentage, and batted over .500 while playing shortstop. This earned him numerous POY awards to include the prestigious Ashland Daily player of the year.

[Image: GeordanBlantonSigns.jpg]
Congratulations. A nice player who plays 100 mph 100% of the time. Fun to watch.
Congrats to him, sounds like a solid player
Geordon will go down as the best all around athlete to ever at JC..High school wrestling state champ, middle wrestling state champ, all-state in football, and all-state in baseball...

Congratulations to him on the Marshall selection.
Best of luck to the boy on the field AND in the classroom at Marshall!
He is a very nice player. But, why is he not mentioned on the recruiting write up dated 11-30-16? I find that odd....

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-basebl/...15aaa.html
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:He is a very nice player. But, why is he not mentioned on the recruiting write up dated 11-30-16? I find that odd....

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-basebl/...15aaa.html

Probably because it looks like that article is a year old. It's dated 11-30-2015. He wills still be in high school for the 16-17' season. His recruiting class, the way it is written, would be 17-18.'

Every player in that article is listed on their 2017 roster, which is this year.

Boy, jealousy runs deep in Louisa.
Bob Seger Wrote:Geordon will go down as the best all around athlete to ever at JC..High school wrestling state champ, middle wrestling state champ, all-state in football, and all-state in baseball...

Congratulations to him on the Marshall selection.

Where does he rank among all-time best athletes in Eastern Ky? He's definitely one of the most accomplished, especially considering the baseball team's expectations this year.
baseball1974 Wrote:Where does he rank among all-time best athletes in Eastern Ky? He's definitely one of the most accomplished, especially considering the baseball team's expectations this year.

Aaron Anderkin, Rockcastle County. 2001 and 2002 played QB on carpet in Louisville, state runner-up both years. 2002 played at Rupp and Applebee's Park. Excellent high school pitcher. Didn't get to pitch at state due to the semi-state series with Hazard being pushed back due to rain.

Joey Couch, Paintsville 2,000+ points in bball at Paintsville, UK Defense
Freddie Maggard, Cumberland Drafted by KC Royals, UK QB
Steven Sizemore, Hazard EKU TE, QB/P-OF/PF-C at Hazard
Tewayne Willis, Perry Central Football at UK, Professional Baseball
Geordon will go down in history as the best all-around athlete in JC history.

I'll post his list of awards later.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Geordon will go down in history as the best all-around athlete in JC history.

I'll post his list of awards later.

Football
2013: 11-1; 10-0 Regular Season & District Champions.
2014: 11-1; 10-0 Regular Season & District Champions.
2015: 12-2; District, Region, Semi-State Champion. Class 4A state runners-up
2016: 14-1; District, Region, Semi-State and Class 4A State Champions.
Final record of 48-5.
Class 4A POY in Class 4A. 2nd Team All-State Courier-Journal as a DB.
Mr. Football Finalist.
Daily-Independent POY. The first athlete to hold the All Area POY awards in multiple sports ('16 Baseball & '16 Football) at the same time since Gerad Parker in 1998 (Lawrence County).

Baseball
2014: District & Region Champions. State Tournament Elite 8.
2016: District & Region Champions. State Tournament Elite 8. Daily-Independent POY.
2017: TBA
Committed to play baseball at the University of Marshall.

Wrestling
2014, 2015 & 2016 Regional Team Champions. 2017 TBA.

2014: Regional Individual Champion, 138 lbs. Voted Most Outstanding Wrestler in the Regional Tournament. Final record of 54-6.
2015: Regional Individual Champion, 145 lbs. Won the KHSAA 145 lbs. State Wrestling Championship. Final record of 54-3.
2016: Regional Individual Champion, 152 lbs. 3rd place at the KHSAA State Tournament. Final record of 40-1.

I don't have any stats, but his Interceptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TD's, Tackles/TFL.... Batting %, Runs Scored.... and his Wrestling record has to be one of the best in JC history.

When you add it all up, it equals, IMO... the best All-Around athlete to ever wear the Black & Gold.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Aaron Anderkin, Rockcastle County. 2001 and 2002 played QB on carpet in Louisville, state runner-up both years. 2002 played at Rupp and Applebee's Park. Excellent high school pitcher. Didn't get to pitch at state due to the semi-state series with Hazard being pushed back due to rain.

Joey Couch, Paintsville 2,000+ points in bball at Paintsville, UK Defense
Freddie Maggard, Cumberland Drafted by KC Royals, UK QB
Steven Sizemore, Hazard EKU TE, QB/P-OF/PF-C at Hazard
Tewayne Willis, Perry Central Football at UK, Professional Baseball

Tim Couch could be on that list as well.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Football
2013: 11-1; 10-0 Regular Season & District Champions.
2014: 11-1; 10-0 Regular Season & District Champions.
2015: 12-2; District, Region, Semi-State Champion. Class 4A state runners-up
2016: 14-1; District, Region, Semi-State and Class 4A State Champions.
Final record of 48-5.
Class 4A POY in Class 4A. 2nd Team All-State Courier-Journal as a DB.

Baseball
2014: District & Region Champions. State Tournament Elite 8.
2016: District & Region Champions. State Tournament Elite 8.
Committed to play baseball at the University of Marshall.

Wrestling
2014, 2015 & 2016 Regional Team Champions. 2017 TBA.

2014: Regional Individual Champion, 138 lbs. Voted Most Outstanding Wrestler in the Regional Tournament.
2015: Regional Individual Champion, 145 lbs. Won the KHSAA 145 lbs. State Wrestling Championship.
2016: Regional Individual Champion, 152 lbs. 3rd place at the KHSAA State Tournament.

I don't have any stats, but his Interceptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TD's, Tackles/TFL.... Batting %, Runs Scored.... and his Wrestling W/L record has to be one of the best in JC history.

When you add it all up, it equals, IMO... the best All-Around athlete to ever wear the Black & Gold.

I'm sure he is the best of all-time at JC. Thats amazing. I feel like with everything that I've heard he has to be among the best all-around/most accomplished athletes to ever come out of Eastern KY. The accomplishments alone will put him ahead of several people.

Did he pick baseball because it's his favorote, or does he feel like he has a chance to get picked-up in the draft?
baseball1974 Wrote:Probably because it looks like that article is a year old. It's dated 11-30-2015. He wills still be in high school for the 16-17' season. His recruiting class, the way it is written, would be 17-18.'

Every player in that article is listed on their 2017 roster, which is this year.

Chill out man. I was simply looking at reading up on what others, outside this 15th region, wrote about him and couldn't find it. He's a GREAT player. The only jealousy was the words you typed. That was not my intent. Geez, now I know why I stayed away from this board as much as I have. You can't let it go. :ChairHit:
baseball1974 Wrote:Probably because it looks like that article is a year old. It's dated 11-30-2015. He wills still be in high school for the 16-17' season. His recruiting class, the way it is written, would be 17-18.'

And, you sited the year and I was wrong. However, this is dated for this year. I still don't see him mentioned. Did someone at MU or JC drop the ball on this? (Yeah, I'm doing this because I'm "jealous"......:Thumbs:.....not because he's an EKY guy who isn't receiving publicity he deserves.....)

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-basebl/...16aaa.html
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:And, you sited the year and I was wrong. However, this is dated for this year. I still don't see him mentioned. Did someone at MU or JC drop the ball on this? (Yeah, I'm doing this because I'm "jealous"......:Thumbs:.....not because he's an EKY guy who isn't receiving publicity he deserves.....)

I call myself to check on that and was told by his coach it was due to additional paper work need to be done for him to be cleared. This is also true for Jaren Lovely.

NO JEALOUS, Geordon is proud of his relationship he had with LC. He played summer ball with them for two years and still has a few of his peers on the team. Geordon continues to text C. Shepherd support and advise and are hoping he make the bigs this year for the REDSOX. Thanks
Eagle84 Wrote:I call myself to check on that and was told by his coach it was due to additional paper work need to be done for him to be cleared. This is also true for Jaren Lovely.

NO JEALOUS, Geordon is proud of his relationship he had with LC. He played summer ball with them for two years and still has a few of his peers on the team. Geordon continues to text C. Shepherd support and advise and are hoping he make the bigs this year for the REDSOX. Thanks

There are at least four kids that I personally know that are committed to Marshall and will be on their 2017-2018 roster that were not in press release due to NCAA regulations that must be satisfied before school can put in press release. Jaren, Geordon, their summer teammate Kirk Jennings from Cabell Midland (No. 3 ranked player in WV) and pitcher from Cleveland, OH.

Jaren and Geordon summer team now have 6 D1 Commitments 3 D2 Commitments and 1 NAIA commitment with more expected.

If you don't believe Geordon will be at Marshall just bide your time and in Feb. 2018 you can buy a ticket and watch.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Chill out man. I was simply looking at reading up on what others, outside this 15th region, wrote about him and couldn't find it. He's a GREAT player. The only jealousy was the words you typed. That was not my intent. Geez, now I know why I stayed away from this board as much as I have. You can't let it go. :ChairHit:

Let "it" go? I'm confused what "it" is? The way your comment was worded made it sound like you were downplaying his accomplishment. I was just letting everyone know the article you were referring too was a year old. That's all. Nothing more than that. If I got your intent wrong then I apologize for the "jealousy" remark. Don't make it any bigger than what it is. I will be more selective with my "word choices" from now on. I do not want you to feel like I am attacking you. I do apologize.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:And, you sited the year and I was wrong. However, this is dated for this year. I still don't see him mentioned. Did someone at MU or JC drop the ball on this? (Yeah, I'm doing this because I'm "jealous"......:Thumbs:.....not because he's an EKY guy who isn't receiving publicity he deserves.....)

The article refers to it as being an "early signing." I'm assuming this article was written before he let them know.
Eagle84 Wrote:I call myself to check on that and was told by his coach it was due to additional paper work need to be done for him to be cleared. This is also true for Jaren Lovely.

That would be a great friend to have coming up. Hopefully, Geordon will have similar success.

kai Wrote:There are at least four kids that I personally know that are committed to Marshall and will be on their 2017-2018 roster that were not in press release due to NCAA regulations that must be satisfied before school can put in press release. Jaren, Geordon, their summer teammate Kirk Jennings from Cabell Midland (No. 3 ranked player in WV) and pitcher from Cleveland, OH.

Jaren and Geordon summer team now have 6 D1 Commitments 3 D2 Commitments and 1 NAIA commitment with more expected.

If you don't believe Geordon will be at Marshall just bide your time and in Feb. 2018 you can buy a ticket and watch.

Wow! That's a pretty impressive resume for the summer ball team. What team do they all play for? It would be great if Eastern KY could get a couple of elite travel teams so the players don't hav to travel to play. I have always loved that area, and they are always very competitive. The main issue I've always had with summer travel teams is how they separate the players from their high school teammates during the off-season.
Both play d for Huntington Hounds. I understand your issue with HS team. But simple fact is exposure to scouts and colleges come in the summer in addition to playing the top competition. With the exception of the very top players in the country scouts and college coaches rarely come see HS games and then have usually watched kids play at one of the big summer tournaments.
kai Wrote:Both play d for Huntington Hounds. I understand your issue with HS team. But simple fact is exposure to scouts and colleges come in the summer in addition to playing the top competition. With the exception of the very top players in the country scouts and college coaches rarely come see HS games and then have usually watched kids play at one of the big summer tournaments.

That's only true if you have a high school coach that doesn't promote his players. If that's the case, then by all means play. However, with technology being what it is, college coaches very rarely travel at all. I know college coaches that have completely cut their recruiting budget and put it in other areas because they can call and have a video sent of any player they want. Maybe what you are saying was true 10-15 years ago and these kids have bought into that idea, but it's not needed. What it is actually doing is putting these young teenagers at risk for early injury. Their physical makeup hasn't stopped developing, and yet they are expected to throw a baseball 10-months out of the year overhand, which is a very unnatural act for the human body especially when you are still growing. They have no business playing more than 6-7 moths out of the year, especially if they are pitching. There is a reason arm surgeries have gone up 700% in the past 15-20 years, and the reason is overuse before you have physically matured. There are ways to counter that and still work on your game during the off season. The key is to not go everyday, and the biggest key is to not throw from an elevated surface during the offseason. Any pitcher will tell you the main things you need to work on can all be done on flat ground.
1974 not sure what college coaches your talking to. But as I watched the boys play in several games with well over 50 college scouts present. Including Scouts from Morehead (in Atlanta, Nashville and Indianapolis) EKU Murray and Head coaches of Florida, TN, UK and those are just ones I know by sight. Boys played in one tournament with over 170 DI and professional scouts on one location. In Lexington, Cincy or Louisville they may get out to see you, but still less likely unless they see you in the summer. HS coaches are great but becoming more and more irrelevant as far as recruiting is concerned. Of course this is jut my opinion from being in middle of it for past 4 years. Only time I have seen a throng of scouts at HS game was to watch Ben Jordon and Cameron Planck pitch last year, and that was rare and special.

Players get seen with programs like Kentucky Baseball Club, Elite Baseball in Richmond, Irmonmen in Louisville, CBC or Midland in Cincy or Hounds in Huntington. This is not the past it is now and becoming more and more of the norm every year.

Some HS coaches still have some say, but most of them Coach one of the summer teams. Kevin Clary being great example.
kai Wrote:1974 not sure what college coaches your talking to. But as I watched the boys play in several games with well over 50 college scouts present. Including Scouts from Morehead (in Atlanta, Nashville and Indianapolis) EKU Murray and Head coaches of Florida, TN, UK and those are just ones I know by sight. Boys played in one tournament with over 170 DI and professional scouts on one location. In Lexington, Cincy or Louisville they may get out to see you, but still less likely unless they see you in the summer. HS coaches are great but becoming more and more irrelevant as far as recruiting is concerned. Of course this is jut my opinion from being in middle of it for past 4 years. Only time I have seen a throng of scouts at HS game was to watch Ben Jordon and Cameron Planck pitch last year, and that was rare and special.

Players get seen with programs like Kentucky Baseball Club, Elite Baseball in Richmond, Irmonmen in Louisville, CBC or Midland in Cincy or Hounds in Huntington. This is not the past it is now and becoming more and more of the norm every year.

Some HS coaches still have some say, but most of them Coach one of the summer teams. Kevin Clary being great example.

Those numbers you are giving are not even close to being accurate. I have never, in the 30+ years I coached atvthe college level, ever saw more than 15 schools in one place. When you do see that it is because they are already tecruiting players that are there and they don't want other coaches moving in on them. Division 1 talent will be recruited no matter where they play. There is no way a college recruiter is going to show up at an event nowadays blind. Meaning they already know who they are going there for. How these travel teams get players is by telling them outrageous claims like you just made regarding the amount of college coaches that will be at games. The truth is, and I know this for an absolute fact, is that tournament directors invite schools, and everytime they send an invite they put that school down as "attending." They have to justify what you are paying and that's how they do it. I'm sorry you've been in the middle of it, but the truth is, you can send a video of a player out to 100 college programs, and it will do more than any game or tourny you play in. Sometimes pitchers are different and they want to see them live, but like I said, those coaches are showing up already knowing who they're looking at. Players that are being recruited regardless.

I hope you don't honestly believe those numbers you gave. You even said yourself that you could only name a couple, and I promise that's all that was there.

Let me be clear about something. It can benefit an athlete when you have a travel coach with a lot of contacts. If they will work for their players, but even then they are exchanging videos and word of mouth.
74 numbers are accurate. I have pics if you want me to send to ya. I have no reason to exaggerate. Not sure who you are and don't really care. You have obviously never been to the Perfect Games WWBA tournament at Lakepoint facility in GA or to the PBR Future Games at the facility outside Indianapolis. When you attend one of these and think my numbers are wrong please let me know.
baseball1974 Wrote:That's only true if you have a high school coach that doesn't promote his players. If that's the case, then by all means play. However, with technology being what it is, college coaches very rarely travel at all. I know college coaches that have completely cut their recruiting budget and put it in other areas because they can call and have a video sent of any player they want. Maybe what you are saying was true 10-15 years ago and these kids have bought into that idea, but it's not needed. What it is actually doing is putting these young teenagers at risk for early injury. Their physical makeup hasn't stopped developing, and yet they are expected to throw a baseball 10-months out of the year overhand, which is a very unnatural act for the human body especially when you are still growing. They have no business playing more than 6-7 moths out of the year, especially if they are pitching. There is a reason arm surgeries have gone up 700% in the past 15-20 years, and the reason is overuse before you have physically matured. There are ways to counter that and still work on your game during the off season. The key is to not go everyday, and the biggest key is to not throw from an elevated surface during the offseason. Any pitcher will tell you the main things you need to work on can all be done on flat ground.

Unfortunately none of the coaches promotes their players in the 15th. Travis Feltner probably does the best but most dont want to go out of their way to help them. Sorry if I stepped on toes but this is true.
Geordon can Wrestle, play Football or Baseball at the Division I level.
kai Wrote:74 numbers are accurate. I have pics if you want me to send to ya. I have no reason to exaggerate. Not sure who you are and don't really care. You have obviously never been to the Perfect Games WWBA tournament at Lakepoint facility in GA or to the PBR Future Games at the facility outside Indianapolis. When you attend one of these and think my numbers are wrong please let me know.

I have been to those events, several of them. All I am saying is that coaches will never show up "blind" to an event. They have assistants that "handle" players and they will show up to make sure they are seen by that recruit. Not any today's era anyway. 15-20 years ago, yes they did things like that.

I have been on both sides of this issue and I'm telling you something from experience. If you chose not to believe it then keep pouring money into it. My advice, get a list of schools, make a video, put down coaching references, and then send it to every college coach and recruiter you are interested in. That is way more effective. I can't think of one coach that doesn't like that from a player.

If you think I am wrong, then name me one player, who was not previously being recruited, that got discovered at one of these events. I am saying somebody that hasn't sent a video or been approached by any college team. After more than 30 years of doing both sides of this, I can't name one.
Aaron Perry from Hurricane WV. Great example. Senior this year. Played on Hounds pitched this summer in all big events, fastball up 90. Committed to UK now up to 60 ranked player in Country. Pitched at WWBA event in Fall with KY Baseball Club up to 94 on gun. Now potential top 10 round draft pick. All started rolling due to be performances in front of scouts this summer. Great kid great family.
kai Wrote:Aaron Perry from Hurricane WV. Great example. Senior this year. Played on Hounds pitched this summer in all big events, fastball up 90. Committed to UK now up to 60 ranked player in Country. Pitched at WWBA event in Fall with KY Baseball Club up to 94 on gun. Now potential top 10 round draft pick. All started rolling due to be performances in front of scouts this summer. Great kid great family.

I will say Aaron would be recruited anyway =, if you throw 90 someone going to hear about it. He would not have opportunities he has now though.

Playing name the Kid, name kids from 14 15 regions form last 10 years or so to Play baseball at D1 level. Chandler Shepard be obvious one. Hamilton from Pikeville at UK now. There are not many, why? Baseball talent not great, could be part of it. Lack of exposure, in my opinion, is part of it.

I will agree with 74 that if our HS coaches took more active role in promoting kids it would help. Feltner appears to do decent job at it JC does good job promoting all their players and that about it.

I will also agree with 74 that strictly playing travel ball is not answer, player and parents need to be selfish. What I mean by that is they need to self promote like 74 suggests with video and social media. I would/have do/done this in addition to travel.

JC (Greg Horne I believe) did a very good video for Geordon.
Pages: 1 2