Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knoxville Catholic 45 Belfry 20
I got to laugh at some people that get on here
Belfry will be fine. They will learn from this game and move on.
The fumbles are disappointing and concerning. Especially the unforced ones. The First Half penalties are more irritating than anything,

With that said, if we isolate those things I actually feel pretty good with what I saw in retrospect.

That is a REALLY good football team that beat Belfry.

Despite turnovers and fumbles costing them yardage Belfry went for over 320 rushing yards and converted First Downs at an alarming rate. Had the Hunter run not gotten flagged for a penalty that was unnecessary to the play (the replay on the broadcast showed it was 100% the correct call, but that it happened once Hunter had cleared the block)..we are talking about 4 TD's and 400 rushing yards against one of the Top 3 teams in Tennessee regardless of class.

The big olays to Rodgers I just have to write off. There is no receiver in Kentucky as talented as him and the only QB's who could even make those perfect deep throws Belfry will never have to face (Walker Wood, Clark Payne, Tanner Morgan). Belfry also will not see an Oline like that with 3 4* players protecting the QB.

Does the loss suck? Yes.. for selfish reasons I wanted this game for the legacy of these Seniors. Does the way Belfry lost raise concern? Absolutely... when you fumble 9 times (and had no less than 5 other snaps or exchanges that were nearly fumbles) then you need to improve.

I still have to look at the silver lining though and say...that even with Belfry playing for all rights mind numbingly bad,,, they still made an elite level team look silly at times when they did play well.

Back to drawing board and no rest for the weary against a team who stomped them last year.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I got to laugh at some people that get on here

I agree! I'm still laughing about Big Don peeking in Dougie's Mom's basement. That was hilarious! :hilarious:

Originally Posted by Big Don
Good to see pjdoug is still trolling from his mommy's basement! What will he do when she takes his Jergens lotion and JCPenny catalog?

He got you Dougie...Confusednicker:

I also agree with the quotes that a ball control team can't fumble/turnover and win ball games. Also, that losing a game to an excellent team only makes your good team stronger if you can keep it competitive. Tends to humble the ones that need it and make them hungrier.

I still root for the Kentucky team when they play out of state teams....even the teams like Highlands, Belfry, Trinity and Mayfield where I'd normally root for the underdogs in Kentucky. Don't matter who they play, I'm a home state fan. Hate that Belfry lost. I'd like to have seen them win against the Tennessee team.
papagrit Wrote:I agree! I'm still laughing about Big Don peeking in Dougie's Mom's basement. That was hilarious! :hilarious:

Good to see pjdoug is still trolling from his mommy's basement! What will he do when she takes his Jergens lotion and JCPenny catalog?

I also agree with the quotes that a ball control team can't fumble/turnover and win ball games. Also, that losing a game to an excellent team only makes your good team stronger if you can keep it competitive. Tends to humble the ones that need it and make them hungrier.

I still root for the Kentucky team when they play out of state teams....even the teams like Highlands, Belfry, Trinity and Mayfield where I'd normally root for the underdogs in Kentucky. Don't matter who they play, I'm a home state fan. Hate that Belfry lost. I'd like to have seen them win against the Tennessee team.
I'm near Tennessee so I never like to see a West Virginia team beat a Tennessee team Confusednicker:
Belfry has a great team, but the talk about them being the best ever at Belfry and the best ever mountain team needs to stop for now! True they still have a great shot at winning their 4th state title in a row, but to go and get punched in the mouth like they did in Knoxville and then lay the ball on the ground 8 or 9 times makes it very hard to make a case for all time greatness. This kind of performance disqualifies them for that type of recognition IMO, but they are still a great team..... All time greatest teams don't fumble 9 times in a single game however!
papagrit Wrote:I agree! I'm still laughing about Big Don peeking in Dougie's Mom's basement. That was hilarious! :hilarious:

It's not a big deal if you play you lose sometimes it's a part of it
Belfry laid it on the ground a lot against Cabell Midland to. Great teams make you do that with hard hits, and plus they can get to you mentally, and get your nerves on edge. To many people saying belfry had a bad game well that team they played had a lot to do with it. Belfry didn't purposely fumble it. The last 2 great teams belfry has played this has happened, and there's a reason why. You beat a great team that is 90% run by making them cough the ball up, and getting in there heads if you don't do that then they keep the ball and usually beat you. This is twice for belfry now, mayfield did it to the record breaking fairview team, and union city TN had there 38 game win streak snapped last year in the playoffs when they coughed it up a few times. These are all heavy run teams that where dominating the competition.
Didn't Belfry beat this team fairly easily last season? I find it hard to believe they got that much better over the off season with the fact that Belfry should be a little better then last year also with just about everyone back. Did they have a lot of new talent or we're they just young and inexperienced last season?
Team wasn't really better. They hit a big play right off the bat and got it rolling from there. The fumbles killed us point blank.
I tried and tried to tell all you Belfry folk..... you can be beaten!!!! And it looks like they really made ya like it down in Tenn!! They must've bearcrawled or y'all must've had 11 D-1 recruits not dress this week.
As for fumbles, Good teams force those. They aren't all gifts....
HighViz Wrote:I tried and tried to tell all you Belfry folk..... you can be beaten!!!! And it looks like they really made ya like it down in Tenn!! They must've bearcrawled or y'all must've had 11 D-1 recruits not dress this week.

Yes we knew we had a chance to get beat here in this one but that it's going to stop that Gold Trophy from coming back to Ol Pond Creek no matter how much it kills you haters :1::1::1::1::1::1:
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:Belfry has a great team, but the talk about them being the best ever at Belfry and the best ever mountain team needs to stop for now! True they still have a great shot at winning their 4th state title in a row, but to go and get punched in the mouth like they did in Knoxville and then lay the ball on the ground 8 or 9 times makes it very hard to make a case for all time greatness. This kind of performance disqualifies them for that type of recognition IMO, but they are still a great team..... All time greatest teams don't fumble 9 times in a single game however!

You may have some legitimate points, but the so called "best team ever" in the mountains didn't play anyone near the caliber of Catholic. Belfry is one of the few teams to actually hunt for teams to play and challenge themselves. It would have been easy to schedule another team close by and have an easy win. The might Panthers of 87 could not have formed an all star team from their schedule and had as much talent as Catholic had. And don't tell me Henry Clay. They were very average. Beechwood during their prime might have been the best team they faced and this was almost 30 years ago. I love how people who have no relationship to the Belfry program claim they know who the best team is ever. Watch as much Pirate football as I have then I will give you a voice.
This Catholic team was way better... let me list how they were.
1. They played at home
2. They were healthy
3. They were more prepared against Belfry's style. The fact Belfry still ran as well as they did is a testament to the Pirates.
4. Catholic had a huge chip on their shoulder.
5. Catholic was much more physical than last year.
bucslover68 Wrote:You may have some legitimate points, but the so called "best team ever" in the mountains didn't play anyone near the caliber of Catholic. Belfry is one of the few teams to actually hunt for teams to play and challenge themselves. It would have been easy to schedule another team close by and have an easy win. The might Panthers of 87 could not have formed an all star team from their schedule and had as much talent as Catholic had. And don't tell me Henry Clay. They were very average. Beechwood during their prime might have been the best team they faced and this was almost 30 years ago. I love how people who have no relationship to the Belfry program claim they know who the best team is ever. Watch as much Pirate football as I have then I will give you a voice.

Well said bucslover
Do-double-gg Wrote:Didn't Belfry beat this team fairly easily last season? I find it hard to believe they got that much better over the off season with the fact that Belfry should be a little better then last year also with just about everyone back. Did they have a lot of new talent or we're they just young and inexperienced last season?

Both young talent and got some more players they are a good team
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Yes we knew we had a chance to get beat here in this one but that it's going to stop that Gold Trophy from coming back to Ol Pond Creek no matter how much it kills you haters :1::1::1::1::1::1:

Hard for me to believe that you ever think u will be beaten. We could always scroll back and see what you said last week... I am a hater, not a hater of your program... the boys in pond creek can play and are very disciplined team. I am a hater of the attitudes of the posters, the nonstop excuses..... you got beat, to death!!! Wake up. You guys aren't invincible!! The fall off your high horses hurt ya too.
My exact statement was it could come down to whoever had the ball last. If we don't fumble it would've came down to it. But should've, could've, would've didn't happen we got embarrassed somewhat. But we won't play another team with a QB like theirs and receiver like Rodgers. We could fumble that many times on almost any 3A team in KY and we still kick a mud hole in them. Just picked the wrong team to do that against.
HighViz we already have our 4th straight ring picked out. Actually 5th straight for this group of seniors counting their 8th grade year.
That's 5 games belfry needs next year how many resign there contracts

Newport Catholic No
Harlan county no
Cable Midland _____
Knoxville Catholic ______
Johnson central. I'm hearing matney wanting two play week 2 or week 4 instead of week 10
eagles2011 Wrote:That's 5 games belfry needs next year how many resign there contracts

Newport Catholic No
Harlan county no
Cable Midland _____
Knoxville Catholic ______
Johnson central. I'm hearing matney wanting two play week 2 or week 4 instead of week 10

Why would anyone resign? Simple fact of the matter is that football is a losing proposition for all most all of the teams in Eastern Kentucky. Due to many factors, there are only a few teams each year that can be competitive and have a real chance at winning a state championship. We all know which teams they are. Simply not much competition in mountain football. The football scores each week are 80% lopsided.
I no
Newport Catholic looking for a game
Harlan county looking for a game
Warrenville heights one year deal
So there's 3 games for sure
Cabell Midland last of two year deal
Johnson central wants to move the game two week 2
Knoxville Catholic last of two year deal
So how many teams will renew contracts out this list
Possibly 5 games belfry looking for
Johnson county looking for two right now not having no luck
eagles2011 Wrote:I no
Newport Catholic looking for a game
Harlan county looking for a game
Warrenville heights one year deal
So there's 3 games for sure
Cabell Midland last of two year deal
Johnson central wants to move the game two week 2
Knoxville Catholic last of two year deal
So how many teams will renew contracts out this list
Possibly 5 games belfry looking for
Johnson county looking for two right now not having no luck

They talked about changing the game before and Haywood said no so I don't know what will happen Belfry might be looking for six and JC looking for 3
proud44pirate Wrote:HighViz we already have our 4th straight ring picked out. Actually 5th straight for this group of seniors counting their 8th grade year.

Glad u do, I'd save that till after December tho. You just never know... Proud 44 evidently your high horse wasn't tall enough. It's talk like this that will get u Another L. On paper u should win, but in no way, shape, form or fashion is it a sure thing. Corbin and Central will have something to say about it in the end......
[quote=HighViz]Glad u do, I'd save that till after December tho. You just never know... Proud 44 evidently your high horse wasn't tall enough. It's talk like this that will get u Another L. On paper u should win, but in no way, shape, form or fashion is it a sure thing. Corbin and Central will have something to say about it in the end......[/QUOTE
Can't want
I was fortunate enough to find the game on TV. Actually, my husband found it and yelled the channel for me to tune; I was surprised and delighted!!

Catholic is a machine! They were very disciplined and athletic. There were very few tackles made by Catholic where they didn't hold up the Belfry RBs while another Catholic player would pull, tug, hit with their helmets, etc...toward the ball. It paid off, too. However, even with that kind of physical play, 9 fumbles just cannot happen if you are going to win that game. I imagine Coach Haywood has addressed this already. Smile

The ONLY other thing that happened in that game that still bothers me is that Belfry seemed terribly fatigued during the 4th quarter. I have never ever seen that before. There were a couple of times that I saw players just go through the motions with no emotion or direction at all. Again, I have NEVER seen that on a Belfry team.

Bottom line is simply this. Belfry will compete in the state title championship game. I'm already planning to be there to watch them! If they get their 4th ring, I won't be surprised in the least.

Great teams make adjustments and learn from their defeats. Belfry is a great team.
Granny Bear Wrote:I was fortunate enough to find the game on TV. Actually, my husband found it and yelled the channel for me to tune; I was surprised and delighted!!

Catholic is a machine! They were very disciplined and athletic. There were very few tackles made by Catholic where they didn't hold up the Belfry RBs while another Catholic player would pull, tug, hit with their helmets, etc...toward the ball. It paid off, too. However, even with that kind of physical play, 9 fumbles just cannot happen if you are going to win that game. I imagine Coach Haywood has addressed this already. Smile

The ONLY other thing that happened in that game that still bothers me is that Belfry seemed terribly fatigued during the 4th quarter. I have never ever seen that before. There were a couple of times that I saw players just go through the motions with no emotion or direction at all. Again, I have NEVER seen that on a Belfry team.

Bottom line is simply this. Belfry will compete in the state title championship game. I'm already planning to be there to watch them! If they get their 4th ring, I won't be surprised in the least.

Great teams make adjustments and learn from their defeats. Belfry is a great team.
We looked just like that last year when we play Cabell
There's no team in 3 4 or 5A in Ky that is like Knoxville were the same team just like last year 3A was ours and it is this year
For little ol Belfry to be so bad and not live up to all the expectations, it was still 35-20 with 7 minutes in the ballgame. I'm sorry but with 9 fumbles to still be within 2 scores of a top 50 nationally ranked team with just 7 minutes to go is pretty impressive. A team that averages over 60 points a game had to throw a TD pass in the last few seconds of the game just to get over 40 points. I actually came away very impressed with Belfry and would put them up against ANY team in KY.
HighViz Wrote:Glad u do, I'd save that till after December tho. You just never know... Proud 44 evidently your high horse wasn't tall enough. It's talk like this that will get u Another L. On paper u should win, but in no way, shape, form or fashion is it a sure thing. Corbin and Central will have something to say about it in the end......

Hey stupid what a bunch of grown up's get on here and say don't have one thing to do with a outcome of a ball game Haywood don't allow our kids to get on these sites and you'll see just like last year who the team is in 3A hope to get to see ya maybe at a game