Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers hire Mike Tomlin
Who was the second baseman who missed,,maybe the only error he had had in the second half of the season,against the Braves that cost them the series.
man, i wish they would pick up TJ Duckett as a free agent. He would be a perfect fit for our system. I love Fast Willie but they need that 3rd down short yardage back to pound out those first downs..TJ would be a perfect fit.
Old school Dawg Wrote:Hoss I think Michael Bush from Louisville would fit into Pittsburgh,s style.I know Parker had good numbers and some fine runs but hes not Old school Is He?
Jose Lind
Old school Dawg Wrote:Who was the second baseman who missed,,maybe the only error he had had in the second half of the season,against the Braves that cost them the series.
I know we are breaking rules but I dont find any Pittsburgh fans around here so I will up my donations,Now saying that I will say this,,Roberto Clemente ol number 21 was the greatest player to ever play the game.Willie Stargell,Al Oliver and Clemente in right.Richie Hebner,Dave Cash,Manny Sangeeun "sp",Steve Blass,Dave Gusti,Manny Alou,Bob Robertson and way back they had Fred Patek at SS.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Jose Lind
That was not as bad as when Johhny Bench hit a two run homer off a Dave Gusti in the 9th.Bob Prince the Pirate announcer left the booth to go to the locker room to celebrate when they came through the door in stunned silence.Bob Prince was the greatest.The year I was born,also the year JFK was elected president over Richard Nixon ,,,Bill Masoroski "sp" hit a home run in the ninth to beat the mighty Yankees.
When I was 9 and 10 years old we had season tickets at old Forbes Field.My dad would ride us up sometimes on the Elks Club Bus.Me and my brother would get 10 bucks a piece and we ran wild.After Roberto got killed in the plane crash,Willie Stargell was our hero.
the Yankees beat us three games that looked like football scores, lol ..that was the greatest homerun in the history of baseball. Without question. My alltime favorite Pirate was Andy Van Slyke, and I loved Kent Tekulve too..Clemente was unbelievable man, no kidding..and his life ended so tragically...John Candelaria was a good one too. Madlock and Ray..had some darn good teams in the 70s. I was hoping they would go after Leyland when they got Tracy.
Old school Dawg Wrote:That was not as bad as when Johhny Bench hit a two run homer off a Dave Gusti in the 9th.Bob Prince the Pirate announcer left the booth to go to the locker room to celebrate when they came through the door in stunned silence.Bob Prince was the greatest.The year I was born,also the year JFK was elected president over Richard Nixon ,,,Bill Masoroski "sp" hit a home run in the ninth to beat the mighty Yankees.
Pops was another one that went too early.
Old school Dawg Wrote:When I was 9 and 10 years old we had season tickets at old Forbes Field.My dad would ride us up sometimes on the Elks Club Bus.Me and my brother would get 10 bucks a piece and we ran wild.After Roberto got killed in the plane crash,Willie Stargell was our hero.
My dad got a little agravated when the Pirates took the song We Are Family and danced all over Three Rivers Stadium.When he wasnt watching,,we danced too.
LOL..yeah..that was a little off the wall, but they earned the right to dance to whatever they wanted to that year, lol...
Bill Matlock picked up more than one batting title.When I would get tired pitching in High School I tried that Kent Tekulve style.Bonds didnt like Van Slyke.I am going to use Fritz,s favorite word and hope he misses this but Bonds and Bonilla flat out choked in the playoff.Something like 3for 30.
Dock ellis is a pitcher that just popped in my mind.He had sickle cell anemia but was a great pitcher.Bob Moose was another good pitcher.
I liked ol Chuck Tanner and I still have one of those square shaped Pirate Hats.
Van Slyke was great on catching fly balls Willie Mays style,,running straight away and catching the ball on a dead run over both shoulders.
My gosh TidesHoss32 and Old School Dawg..You 2 are 2 pees in a pod!
lol..Doc Ellis pitched a no hitter while on LSD, lol
Old school Dawg Wrote:Dock ellis is a pitcher that just popped in my mind.He had sickle cell anemia but was a great pitcher.Bob Moose was another good pitcher.
i do too!! the old painters caps..Chuck Tanner was a good manager, but had so much talent to work with, then went to Atlanta and didnt do anything..we forgot to mention Dave Parker and I liked watching Tony Pena too..you are right, Bonds and Bobby Bonilla would always have great regular seasons and then bomb in the post season. I hated Bonds, and I still do. I loved when Leyland set him straight. I hope to GOD he doesnt break that homerun record. It was bad enough when he passed the Babe, but Im hoping he gets put in prison forever for some reason while he's one away.
Old school Dawg Wrote:I liked ol Chuck Tanner and I still have one of those square shaped Pirate Hats.
lol, its hard to find another Steelers or Pirates fan to talk too..Ill never shut up now
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:My gosh TidesHoss32 and Old School Dawg..You 2 are 2 pees in a pod!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:i do too!! the old painters caps..Chuck Tanner was a good manager, but had so much talent to work with, then went to Atlanta and didnt do anything..we forgot to mention Dave Parker and I liked watching Tony Pena too..you are right, Bonds and Bobby Bonilla would always have great regular seasons and then bomb in the post season. I hated Bonds, and I still do. I loved when Leyland set him straight. I hope to GOD he doesnt break that homerun record. It was bad enough when he passed the Babe, but Im hoping he gets put in prison forever for some reason while he's one away.
Tidehoss32 that altercation between Bonds and Leyland was in spring training well their first altercation that year, and it took about four of them to keep the Leyland from getting his hands on him.
When Dave Parker went to the Reds I quess thats when I quit hating the Reds.Where I grew up in Sistersville West Virginia we got the Wheeling newspaper with Pittsburgh always front page news in the sports.We move to Louisa Kentucky and it was nothing but Cincinnati.I like alot of you younger fans really hated teams.I quit that around 32 or 34 years old.Hate really clouds your judgement when assessing teams.I used to say,which got me slapped up side my head,,things like I wish they would break Kenny anderson,s leg or I would hit Pete Rose right in the face.When Rose basically helped finish off Ray Fosse,s career when he ran him over in an all-star game I didnt see that as a hustle play as much as I did a redneck hyped up on speed.Alot of players would have hustled like Pete if they took bennies like he did.He is one Cincinnati player and the only player really of the bengals or reds I dispise.Gee whiz Tidehoss32 you have made my week bringing up Pittsburgh stuff and jostling my memory.Thank You Thank You Let me know if you ever need a job in the mines.
Tidehoss32 how did you become a bama fan.
im as diehard Bama as i am Steelers man..Ive always loved the Tide. I started liking them when I guess I was around 7 or 8. Ray Perkins was their coach. Me and Playboy5 started playing 5th and 6th grade football when we were in the first grade (no pee wee teams here), and while all the other kids were loving UK or UT, I was a Tide fan. No particular reason, just always loved them and Ive always been a student of their history too...
although ill never like the Reds, I dont hate them anymore. Ill always hate the Braves though. I got so tired of them being called "America's Team" and Hanoi Jane Freakin Fonda over there singing the national anthem. That always made me puke. However, as much as I despised Pete Rose, and still do, he deserves to be in the HOF. And, its easier to hate the new Bengals than it is the old, lol...and I can assess teams and still hate them, I dunno man, maybe its a gift, lol...but its been great talking old Steelers and Pirates stuff. I didnt know there were any other Pirates fans out there. Most people jumped off their bandwagon 15 years ago (like most jumped off the Steelers after about the 4th game this year, lol)..thats the only positive out of poor seasons, all the fairweather fans jump ship until you make the playoffs or have a great season again, then all those "closet" Steelers or Bama fans come out of hiding, right after they throw their Colts jerseys away, lol
Old school Dawg Wrote:When Dave Parker went to the Reds I quess thats when I quit hating the Reds.Where I grew up in Sistersville West Virginia we got the Wheeling newspaper with Pittsburgh always front page news in the sports.We move to Louisa Kentucky and it was nothing but Cincinnati.I like alot of you younger fans really hated teams.I quit that around 32 or 34 years old.Hate really clouds your judgement when assessing teams.I used to say,which got me slapped up side my head,,things like I wish they would break Kenny anderson,s leg or I would hit Pete Rose right in the face.When Rose basically helped finish off Ray Fosse,s career when he ran him over in an all-star game I didnt see that as a hustle play as much as I did a redneck hyped up on speed.Alot of players would have hustled like Pete if they took bennies like he did.He is one Cincinnati player and the only player really of the bengals or reds I dispise.Gee whiz Tidehoss32 you have made my week bringing up Pittsburgh stuff and jostling my memory.Thank You Thank You Let me know if you ever need a job in the mines.
Old School, I may not be able to quote the statistics or history like you, and I sure never got to go to a Steelers game at Three Rivers like you did but I guarantee you that I am just as big a fan of them as you are, maybe a bigger one.lol:lmao:
Dawgmom is my little sister guys and gals.She is a little immature in her rooting and hollering ways but she will learn to control that someday like I did.She is a bigger fan at this stage of the game if getting sick after a loss is a measuring stick.No one knows the game of football any better than my sister in lawrence county kentucky.She could coach too if the boys wouldnt quit because she is tough and Im very proud of her.
Im a die hard Pitt Fan too but im a little bit too young for the steel curtain but i would give just about anything to go back and watch them play just one game in person...There wouldnt be anything else like it!!
Old school Dawg Wrote:Dawgmom is my little sister guys and gals.She is a little immature in her rooting and hollering ways but she will learn to control that someday like I did.She is a bigger fan at this stage of the game if getting sick after a loss is a measuring stick.No one knows the game of football any better than my sister in lawrence county kentucky.She could coach too if the boys wouldnt quit because she is tough and Im very proud of her.

I don't think I am all that tough, guess I'm just old school. Must come from growing up around you.hahaha:thatsfunn