Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers hire Mike Tomlin
They got the kind of coach we steeler fans love.A defensive coach first and he likes to run the ball smash mouth style.He is 34, same age Cowler was when they hired him.Chuck Noll was 36 when hired.Cant spell his name but they will keep the same defensive coordinator.
He better keep LeBeau..he wasnt my first choice. I wanted Whisenhunt, and Grimm, but the Rooneys have always made great choices, and Im sure they evaluated this guy to no end. I guess we'll see how this pans out. He lost cool points with me because he wants them to switch to the 4-3 and get out of the 3-4...and that wont sit well with Steeler fans.
Will this be a good hire for the Steelers in the longrun?
Well the 3-4 wasnt getting pressure on the quarterback at all unless they blitz.2 sacks all-year coming from just a 3 man rush.West Virginia runs it too and their defense sucked.
LOL, Just what the Steelers needed TidesHoss32!
THANK GOD ITS THE SAME STYLE I LOVED THAT ABOUT THEM! thanks for the thread big releif...
well, the Steelers have been in the top 5 in rush defense pretty much every year for 30 years. However, their pass defense is absolutely horrendous. And the Vikings were LAST (tied w/ the Bengals, but hell, the Bengals have to play whoever isnt in jail at the time) in pass defense. The problem isnt getting enough pressure on the qb, because they hurry and hit the qb more than just about any team in football. But their DB's cant cover anybody.
Old school Dawg Wrote:Well the 3-4 wasnt getting pressure on the quarterback at all unless they blitz.2 sacks all-year coming from just a 3 man rush.West Virginia runs it too and their defense sucked.
Congrats to Tomlin, but I still fill Grimm was the best fit.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:well, the Steelers have been in the top 5 in rush defense pretty much every year for 30 years. However, their pass defense is absolutely horrendous. And the Vikings were LAST (tied w/ the Bengals, but hell, the Bengals have to play whoever isnt in jail at the time) in pass defense. The problem isnt getting enough pressure on the qb, because they hurry and hit the qb more than just about any team in football. But their DB's cant cover anybody.
Top in the rushing dept but it was their linebackers making all the tackles and their pass rush was so bad the opposing qb had all day to pick them apart.Who else runs the 3-4 hoss other than them and west virginia.
Hoss is all fairness the db,s along with no rush is why their pass defense was horrendous,,what do u think.
when LeBeau brought the pressure, theres not a better defense in the NFL..and that includes Baltimore...WHEN he did, that is...but I still think they need to use their draft pick to pick up a good DB rather than on anything else..they just need help in the secondary..they just cant cover anybody...
I take it your a diehard,,root for nobody else but the Steelers?
are there any other teams to root for? lol...no way pal, im a diehard tried and true black and gold fanatic..and i am NOT disputing what you are saying about our defense. I just think that those guys they have are built for the 3-4 and I dont want Tomlin in there right away and change anything (which he said he wouldnt)..They would have to change everything up front if they switched to it.
I grew up 80 miles south of Pittsburgh.I was actually at the game when Franco Harris made the miraculus catch.The part I dont like to tell is I was on the back Of an Elks Club bus getting warm.I never rooted for anyone else in my life.By the way it was Frenzy Fuqua who the ball boucned off of that Franco picked off for the biggest play in the history of an NFL playoff game.The announcer for that game was also the play for play man for the West Virginia Mountaineers.They have won 5 super bowls in my 46 years and that is a blessing.Now Im going to blow you away.Im also a Randy Moss fan and would love to see him come to Pittsburgh.I worked and lived in Rand West Virginia and have been around Randy alot.He comes to Marshall,never misses a practice,never had a run in with any player or coach and scored a touchdown in every game he ever played there.Cowler would have been good for Moss,and I think this new coach would be too.
oh ive said it all along, id love to have moss in Pittsburgh..Im only 31, and Ive never rooted for anybody else either. Im a Steelers historian as well. Any book written, video, dvd, anything, I own it. I just love the black and gold. Im defnitely not the average fan, you can ask Playboy5, he can tell you..but the Immaculate Reception is a funny story. Art Rooney was on the elevator leaving the stadium and on his way to congradulate the team for a nice season and he heard a loud roar. He got on the elevator the score was 7-6 Oakland. When the elevator door opened, it was 13-7 Pittsburgh, lol...He missed the catch. Just a little tidbit of useless trivia, lol..
Lets not talk about the game the next week.
well, I like the Bears..I root for them against anybody but Pittsburgh, lol..so Im rooting for them to beat Indy.
I was talking about the Steelers game after they beat Oakland.
oh yeah...when they got screwed out of winning the game against the undefeated Dolphins..21-17
What is the last thing you read about Joe gilliam "sp" backup Quarterback with a super arm Tideshoss32.
Your a diehard alright.I would say 98% of people think they won the super bowl that year.I graduated in 78 and my high school years were a glorious time to be a steelers fan.In respect for Fritz, the Bengals were great then too with Kenny Anderson and Issac Curtis.I would say Tidehoss has the records stored somewhere and the Bengals seem to beat us at least once a year during the steel curtin years.Dwight White,Mean Joe Green,LcGreenwood,Jack Ham,Jack Lambert,Mike wagner and the list goes on.
Joe Gilliam..what a talent...he spent the last 10 years of his life living from homeless shelter to homeless shelter, and finally seemed like he got his life together, was helping as a qb coach for a high school, then quit coming to practices. He got back on drugs, and eventually died from wounds caused by his addiction.
There was one playoff game between Oakland and Pittsburgh that was knocked off air by the movie Heidi.That was a loss that we had to find out later that night.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Joe Gilliam..what a talent...he spent the last 10 years of his life living from homeless shelter to homeless shelter, and finally seemed like he got his life together, was helping as a qb coach for a high school, then quit coming to practices. He got back on drugs, and eventually died from wounds caused by his addiction.
I saw on 60 minutes along time ago where he was living under a bridge in Memphis.Mike Webster fought drug and mental problems too and he died young didnt he Hoss.
i loved Arrowhead Holmes, Ray Wagner, Mel Blount and Andy Russell too...Russell was the quintessential overachiever. Other than Lambert, probably my favorite Steeler..they took the shots from Cincy, and then from Houston in the later years with Earl Campbell..
yeah he was 50..his HOF speech was sad. He couldnt hardly put sentences together. It was said that he sold all of his superbowl rings because he was broke, and was homeless for years too..still the greatest center (including Dermonti Dawson) of all time.
Old school Dawg Wrote:I saw on 60 minutes along time ago where he was living under a bridge in Memphis.Mike Webster fought drug and mental problems too and he died young didnt he Hoss.
The team I feared the most back then was Oakland with Darrel Lamonica and Hewitt Dixon and Fred Blinegoff"so'.But hated losing to the Bengals more than any one.We also loved the Pirates and my dad would say many times before he passed Boys we will root for the Russians before we root for the Reds or Bengals.
I bet you have seen the Rocky Blier movie.
Hoss I think Michael Bush from Louisville would fit into Pittsburgh,s style.I know Parker had good numbers and some fine runs but hes not Old school Is He?
lol..yeah im a Pirates fan too, Love em..although we havent had much to cheer about for 15 years...and Im the same way, although Ill root for the Reds before Id root for those Nazis the Atlanta Braves. And Sid Bream, to this day, was OUT. Oakland and Dallas were the main rivals with Pittsburgh in the 70s..Either you were a Steelers fan, a Cowboys fan or a Raiders fan, lol