Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Poythress
honestjchsfan Wrote:The per 40 Minute stats do not factor in that Ulis was often left in games when UK had a big lead. They also don't factor in that the Twins played tougher competition! Go back and check which set of guards lead his team to more wins over Power 5 Regular season and tourney champs. Who had the most in over ranked teams!
The problem with that theory is that most of Ulis's stats improved this season, when Ulis often played 40 minutes or more in games. As for last season, Ulis was not a garbage time player as you suggest. His ball handling skill and free throw shooting percentage put him on the court in key situations. That is why Calipari regretted not having him on the court more late in the Wisconsin game. I am not a fan of Coach Cal's coaching ability, but I trust his opinion more than your's.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Ulis was a member of the 38-1 and a key part to its success. In fact, Ulis logged almost as many minutes as Andrew did last season. Yet, you constantly credit the Harrisons for last season's success without giving any credit to Ulis. You are entitled to your opinion, but Calipari has admitted that he stuck with the Harrisons too long in the Wisconsin game, but you seem to disagree with him.

You opined that 6'5" Andrew Harrison's 0.3 blocks per game, compared to Ulis's 0.1 blocks per game was significant. Did you notice that 6'5" inch Andrew Harrison averaged 3.5 rebounds per game, versus the 3.0 rebounds per game that 5'9" Ulis posted? I guess that is just more proof that Andrew Harrison deserved to start.

Defensive quickness and athleticism in a point guard is far more disruptive to the other team's offense than the threat of an occasional blocked shot. Big, plodding point guards cannot extend the defense against quicker guards because it makes them vulnerable to dribble penetration.

If Andrew Harrison was a good defensive player, he would not be in the D-League right now. To be fair to Aaron Harrison, I believe that he was a better shooter with Ulis in the game because Ulis created more open shots for him than his twin brother.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y9b_9_h1-eE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Here you go Hoot I don't think game film will change your mind but here is your SEC Defensive POY in action 0:32 Blew by other UK defenders have to help leads to dunk, 1:55 beat again for easy layup. At 1:59 Ulis is caught in a switch gets pushed under goal fails to help easy layup. 2:05 trails behind on Ball screen Skal has to help forcing Murray out leads to open 3. At 2:25 Ulis falls asleep leads to layup. 3:10 trails behind screen again UK's D out of position because Skal has to help another open 3. At 3:10 Ulis fails to stop the ball another easy layup. This is just a fraction of the game film! Notice how IU is going after Ulis they know the weak link is why! Watch the Film Hoot. We all want to root for the little guy the underdog but Ulis was the weakest link! Alex P, Lee and Briscoe played their butts off covering for Ulis!
honestjchsfan Wrote:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y9b_9_h1-eE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Here you go Hoot I don't think game film will change your mind but here is your SEC Defensive POY in action 0:32 Blew by other UK defenders have to help leads to dunk, 1:55 beat again for easy layup. At 1:59 Ulis is caught in a switch gets pushed under goal fails to help easy layup. 2:05 trails behind on Ball screen Skal has to help forcing Murray out leads to open 3. At 2:25 Ulis falls asleep leads to layup. 3:10 trails behind screen again UK's D out of position because Skal has to help another open 3. At 3:10 Ulis fails to stop the ball another easy layup. This is just a fraction of the game film! Notice how IU is going after Ulis they know the weak link is why! Watch the Film Hoot. We all want to root for the little guy the underdog but Ulis was the weakest link! Alex P, Lee and Briscoe played their butts off covering for Ulis!
Sorry, but I am going with Calipari, the SEC, and the NBA scouts on this one. Let's revisit this issue if Ulis starts next season in the D-League with Andrew Harrison, at which point I will declare you a basketball genius for recognizing what a horrible player Ulis is, despite his stellar stats.

As for game film, you might want to replay the last 5 or 6 minutes of last season's Wisconsin loss. To be fair, the Harrisons were not as bad as they played in that game and a few screw ups do not define the quality of any player.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sorry, but I am going with Calipari, the SEC, and the NBA scouts on this one. Let's revisit this issue if Ulis starts next season in the D-League with Andrew Harrison, at which point I will declare you a basketball genius for recognizing what a horrible player Ulis is, despite his stellar stats.

As for game film, you might want to replay the last 5 or 6 minutes of last season's Wisconsin loss. To be fair, the Harrisons were not as bad as they played in that game and a few screw ups do not define the quality of any player.

Only thing we can agree on is that we disagree! Hoot you talk like being in the NBA D league is a bad thing??? Sometimes guys are drafted knowing they are headed to the D league. James Young is a example. I took your advice I watched some of the UK Vs Wisconsin in 2015. O:37 Ulis leave his man in cornor easy 3, 0:46 Ullis beat off dribble UK's D has to help results in open 3! 0:52 Booker getting man handled. 1:07 Booker faked out of jock! 1:56 Ulis blew by again easy basket! Wisconsin had some men last year Hoot just watch the highlights.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Only thing we can agree on is that we disagree! Hoot you talk like being in the NBA D league is a bad thing??? Sometimes guys are drafted knowing they are headed to the D league. James Young is a example. I took your advice I watched some of the UK Vs Wisconsin in 2015. O:37 Ulis leave his man in cornor easy 3, 0:46 Ullis beat off dribble UK's D has to help results in open 3! 0:52 Booker getting man handled. 1:07 Booker faked out of jock! 1:56 Ulis blew by again easy basket! Wisconsin had some men last year Hoot just watch the highlights.
Amazing. So, not only was Calipari wrong for second guessing himself about sticking with the Harrisons too long down the stretch in that game, Booker and Ulis were really the players who blew that game. I never knew.

I really thought Wisconsin had a great shot at an upset because as bench coach, Calipari was over matched. Bo Ryan had a great game plan and his team executed it to perfection. The Badgers controlled the pace of the game. I don't think Wisconsin could have won a shootout with UK.

UK's big, slow point guard who preferred shooting over passing made it easier for Wisconsin to control the tempo of the game. That was not Andrew Harrison's fault, it was Calipari's decision to start him and stick with him too long. Depth, which favored Kentucky never became a factor in the game. The only chance Wisconsin had of winning was to keep the pace slow, and Andrew Harrison made that easier.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Amazing. So, not only was Calipari wrong for second guessing himself about sticking with the Harrisons too long down the stretch in that game, Booker and Ulis were really the players who blew that game. I never knew.

I really thought Wisconsin had a great shot at an upset because as bench coach, Calipari was over matched. Bo Ryan had a great game plan and his team executed it to perfection. The Badgers controlled the pace of the game. I don't think Wisconsin could have won a shootout with UK.

UK's big, slow point guard who preferred shooting over passing made it easier for Wisconsin to control the tempo of the game. That was not Andrew Harrison's fault, it was Calipari's decision to start him and stick with him too long. Depth, which favored Kentucky never became a factor in the game. The only chance Wisconsin had of winning was to keep the pace slow, and Andrew Harrison made that easier.

Nobody on UK's team not WCS, Lyles the twins KAT could do anything with that Sam Dekker. He is in the D-league now but only because he had back surgery. I think one of the major flaws in Coach Cal is that he to too predictable. Teams know he is playing man to man D and they don't worry about preparing for a Zone. If you think back to the SC game this year when Cal got threw out Kenny Payne mixed in some zone on SC and they were not ready for it.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Nobody on UK's team not WCS, Lyles the twins KAT could do anything with that Sam Dekker. He is in the D-league now but only because he had back surgery. I think one of the major flaws in Coach Cal is that he to too predictable. Teams know he is playing man to man D and they don't worry about preparing for a Zone. If you think back to the SC game this year when Cal got threw out Kenny Payne mixed in some zone on SC and they were not ready for it.
If you have a much deeper bench and a more athletic team than your opponent, you exploit your advantage by forcing the tempo and making your opponent's best offensive players work hard on the defensive end of the floor. Kentucky should have worn Wisconsin down but the Badgers seemed like the fresher, sharper team down the stretch in the game last season.
honestjchsfan Wrote:It goes back to the same point that I made to Hoot, Alex P and Lee both shot over 60% I agree with you most of Lee's points came from dunks but Alex P was often not involved in the Offense. Had KAT been on this years team you can't be sure that Murray and Ulis would have got him involved. I felt like Ulis put unneeded pressure on his teammates and this years team was divided. The reason Andrew's 2 point field goal percentage was so low last season is simple, watch the game films I bet over 20 times he lobbed the ball toward the rim for a pass that got counted as a shot. Make no mistake on the Offensive end I give the advantage to Murray & Ulis . I think of the 4 players Murray is by far the best Shooter and scorer! But when it comes to Half court Defense, mental toughness, Clutch shooting and putting Wins up IMO the Twins were way better! I have still not got a comment from you or Hoot about Ulis getting toasted in the UT, Auburn games. Still nothing about Ulis meltdown late in the Kansas game. Ulis being a midget hurt this team 3 point defense it's that simple. The Stats prove it!

I watched the games last season, that didn't happen with the lobs. I doubt as an entire team that even 10 lob passes were missed last season. With players like Willie Cauley-Stein that team was very efficient on the lob. I would think the statisticians can tell a difference between a shot and a lob. Even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and erased those 20 shots from his stat sheet, he still only shoots 40% from the field. He didn't shoot that low of a percentage because of missing lob passes, he shot that bad because he took a lot of shots in traffic when he should have passed the ball.

As for the two games you mentioned, I can find any player and pick and choose the bad games they had and use it against them. Ulis had good and bad games. The Harrison twins had good and bad games. Ulis consistently ran the floor well and controlled the offense, the Harrison twins consistently got out of control and took bad shots. If you want to talk about having bad games though, if the Harrison twins were these as good of defenders you proclaim them to be, UConn's Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright wouldn't have torn through them in the national championship game. Napier and Boatright are 6'1 and 6'2, respectively. They blew right by the twins and forced Kentucky to switch to a zone to avoid being blown out.

If you want to talk about Ulis having a meltdown late in the Kansas game, at least that was a regular season game. Ulis kept that team in the game all by himself late against Indiana. Where were the twins when UK was up by 4 on Wisconsin with multiple chances to put the game away?
Briscoe is going to the combine and based on how that goes will determine whether he signs with an agent and enters the Draft.

Matthews has decided to transfer.

Lee is MUM, not saying a word to anyone. His options are to stay and be a limited player, enter the Draft (not likely), be a graduate transfer and not have to sit (what he has stated as his most likely option).

Poythress is not planning to be Drafted. He has an Agent and expects to sign on as a Free-Agent. D-League is not high on his list, most likely will go overseas.
Stardust Wrote:Briscoe is going to the combine and based on how that goes will determine whether he signs with an agent and enters the Draft.

Lee is MUM, not saying a word to anyone. His options are to stay and be a limited player, enter the Draft (not likely), be a graduate transfer and not have to sit (what he has stated as his most likely option).

Poythress is not planning to be Drafted. He has an Agent and expects to sign on as a Free-Agent. D-League is not high on his list, most likely will go overseas.

What do you think Skal will decide to do?
Whats the big announcement today about?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
panther nation Wrote:Whats the big announcement today about?

Murray declaring for the draft.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you have a much deeper bench and a more athletic team than your opponent, you exploit your advantage by forcing the tempo and making your opponent's best offensive players work hard on the defensive end of the floor. Kentucky should have worn Wisconsin down but the Badgers seemed like the fresher, sharper team down the stretch in the game last season.

I agree with that. Should have played more like the 96' team.
I haven't been on here in years, but I have to say....
Dissing Poythress is just like dissing Josh Harrellson. And he sucked ass bad.
Poythress actually played D, scored a lot, took the leader role on.
I have no idea why you guys are hating on him, he may not be the smartest guy, but he can play ball. I think he may fit better in the NBA actually.
As far as Murray goes, I seen pictures of Murray memes saying..
"I see you Indiana, you are a big red target"..
1-8 or 1-9 from 3... pretty good target.
Ballers Wrote:I haven't been on here in years, but I have to say....
Dissing Poythress is just like dissing Josh Harrellson. And he sucked ass bad.
Poythress actually played D, scored a lot, took the leader role on.
I have no idea why you guys are hating on him, he may not be the smartest guy, but he can play ball. I think he may fit better in the NBA actually.
Poythress was a credit to his team and the school. He worked hard to come back from injuries and never embarrassed the university.

I agree that Poythress could be a better NBA fit than he was at UK. He has all the physical tools to make it at the next level. Sometimes it just takes a change in setting to bring out the best in a player.

As for not being the smartest, he was named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Second Team Academic All American Team. I believe that he graduated with a 3.9 GPA. If Poythress does not make it as a professional basketball player, then at least he took advantage of his scholarship to get a good education.
Stardust Wrote:Briscoe is going to the combine and based on how that goes will determine whether he signs with an agent and enters the Draft.

What I hated about Lee's actions to wait is that he knew that by holding off making a decision, he was impacting Bolden's decision.