Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Poythress
You've sucked for five years. You still travel with the same move you used your freshmen year. Please don't come back to games.

PS take skal with you.

Horrendous year to watch
We were called for 6 offensive fouls

Poy 6
Lee 4
Skal 4
14 combined points today

16 turnovers

SUCK...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You've sucked for five years. You still travel with the same move you used your freshmen year. Please don't come back to games.

PS take skal with you.

Horrendous year to watch

Probably the most useless Cal player since Eraserhead and Enos Cant Play
Yeah mark me down as another one to see him leave. Take Lee and Skal too. Now this goes to yesterday's game, when your guards take 40 of the 57 or so shots, how's anyone else going to have a decent game? While Ulis and Murray have carried them most of the season, yesterday they just tried too hard. I'll get flamed for it, but all the talent that has passed thru UK in the last 5 years and we have one title to show for is nuts. Of course someone will come with yeah but we have 4 final fours. Big deal we aren't playing for final four banners. Now the question becomes who stays and who goes. Next years class is supposed to be the best yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up after last years run and this years letdown.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You've sucked for five years. You still travel with the same move you used your freshmen year. Please don't come back to games.

PS take skal with you.

Horrendous year to watch

What I find weird about Alex Poythress's game is that he had no Mid range jump shot. He either shot a three or some jump hook a floater or a dunk. It didn't matter how open he was he was not shooting a 10 foot jump shot because he simply couldn't do it. All those walks and Offensive Fouls Alex got called for were the result of teams scouting him knowing this weakness.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Yeah mark me down as another one to see him leave. Take Lee and Skal too. Now this goes to yesterday's game, when your guards take 40 of the 57 or so shots, how's anyone else going to have a decent game? While Ulis and Murray have carried them most of the season, yesterday they just tried too hard. I'll get flamed for it, but all the talent that has passed thru UK in the last 5 years and we have one title to show for is nuts. Of course someone will come with yeah but we have 4 final fours. Big deal we aren't playing for final four banners. Now the question becomes who stays and who goes. Next years class is supposed to be the best yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up after last years run and this years letdown.

Everybody complained last year about the twins shooting too much! I know this much the Twins played well enough to get UK in two Final Fours and a title game. As far as the One title comment, I disagree with your point. Two out the last 3 of UK's NCAA draws have been 2 of the toughest in history! This season they got the Big Ten Regular Season Camp in the second round with UNC waiting in the next Round. In 2014 they played 3 of the Final Four teams from 2013 just to get to Wisconsin in the Final Four. Had UK not lost WCS (Best Defender) I firmly believe they beat UConn and win the title in 2014. Take a look at the 2015 NCAA Draw Duke got, they played Robert Morris, San Diego State, Utah, and Gonzaga to get to the Final Four not a lot of basketball history in that Draw, not at a lot of sports success in that draw. Compare UK's 2015 Draw, you got Hampton, Cincinnati, WVU, Notre Dame, how many Major Sports National titles are in that Draw?? Well ND has won 11 national titles in football been too 16 NCAA Basketball Sweet 16's and 1 Final Four. Cincinnati has been to 6 Final Fours in Basketball with 2 national titles, WVU has been too 9 NCAA basketball Sweet 16's and 2 Final Fours. Now you tell me who got the best draw? UK was the #1 Seed in 2015 right? The ACC Tourney Champ is the 3 Seed in UK's bracket while Gonzaga is the 2 Seed in Duke's Bracket! Keep in mind Gonzaga has never been to a Final Four! This Season UK would of had to beat 2 teams with a Combined 10 national the Big Ten and ACC Regular Season Champs just to get to the Elite 8. It's called a stacked deck!
Ulis and Booker should have started over the Twins last year once it was established they were much better.
40-0 would have happened had Cal made that change.

Skal is Cals first big bust in recruiting since coming to UK. I think he went with the only option he had though. The other big men were already taken and he knew it.
Ive been saying it all year, next year is the year. This year never had a shot with no big man.
I really hope Skal goes ahead and leaves to make room for Bolden
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ulis and Booker should have started over the Twins last year once it was established they were much better.

Skal is Cals first big bust in recruiting since coming to UK. I think he went with the only option he had though. The other big men were already taken and he knew it.
Ive been saying it all year, next year is the year. This year never had a shot with no big man.

IMO Isaac Humphries was the best Big Man UK had this year. The problem with Humphries was his age. The Kid was just too young to play D-1 basketball. He was too young to be a one and done player. I think Humphries could some make a solid player. Skal on the other hand seemed like a player that hadn't played a lot of basketball. I am betting Skal leaves. If Skal does leave he has no chance of making it in the NBA. He is just to weak and thin. IMO the smartest move Skal could make would be to redshirt an practice with the team all next year and hit the weight room. Skal has a nice jump shot and a nice post games but he just to weak right now my mother could push him around and she is 72. Marcus Lee should have stuck with volleyball! The only way the Kid could score was to dunk. As far as Ulis IMO he is the most over rated player in the history of UK basketball! He stats were better than the twins but I will take the twins size and strength and take my chances.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ulis and Booker should have started over the Twins last year once it was established they were much better.

I agree.Ulis sitting on the bench cost us a championship.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Yeah mark me down as another one to see him leave. Take Lee and Skal too. Now this goes to yesterday's game, when your guards take 40 of the 57 or so shots, how's anyone else going to have a decent game? While Ulis and Murray have carried them most of the season, yesterday they just tried too hard. I'll get flamed for it, but all the talent that has passed thru UK in the last 5 years and we have one title to show for is nuts. Of course someone will come with yeah but we have 4 final fours. Big deal we aren't playing for final four banners. Now the question becomes who stays and who goes. Next years class is supposed to be the best yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up after last years run and this years letdown.

Calapari is a great recruiter,but is nowhere near the top in-game coaches.
pjdoug Wrote:I agree.Ulis sitting on the bench cost us a championship.

I thought Humphries should have played more and like the twins size and strength,but Ulis is a far superior talent to Andrew at point guard.He has speed and the twins are a step slow.
pjdoug Wrote:I agree.Ulis sitting on the bench cost us a championship.

I totally disagree, Ulis played in the Wisconsin game in 2015 but Cal couldn't leave him in the game because Wisconsin's big guards were just going to shoot over him. I understand that people want to root for the little guy but Ulis is totally over rated guys! Check his shooting percentage from 3 point range this year, it was 34% pretty much the same as either twin. Why did UK get a 4 Seed in the NCAA tournament this year?? UK lost to 3 below average SEC teams that didn't make the field! Why did they lose those games to LSU, UT and Auburn? I will tell you why,, because Ulis sucked on D is why, three average at best SEC Point guards went off on Ulis! Kareem Canty had 26 in the loss to Auburn, Kevin Punter had 27 in the loss to UT and Tim Quarterman had 21 in the loss to LSU! Ulis winning SEC POY and Defensive player of the year was a total Joke. I figure it was make up for robbing KAT out of POY award last season! Check Ulis shooting percentage in the loss at Vandy it was 25% because Wade Baldwin shut him down! I really don't understand UK fans sometimes. In 2 seasons as Starting guards at UK the Twins lose 11 games go to 2 Final Fours, Arron hits some Larry Bird like game winners and UK fans hate them:HitWall: Ulis losses 9 in one season and UK is out in the Second round and its Still all love for Ulis WTF? Did you guys not watch Yogi Ferrell control the game Saturday? I have no doubt in my mind that if the twins were on this team UK would still be playing. The twins were way better perimeter defenders than Ulis and Murray! Just because some media member like Matt Jones says something doesn't mean it came out of the bible people!
pjdoug Wrote:Calapari is a great recruiter,but is nowhere near the top in-game coaches.

Cal's game plan last year in the Wisconsin game is a unsolved mystery to me! In a average College basekball game Cal is a great in game coach it's the Big games that he falls apart in.
The twins are averaging a combined 0.7 points per game, with Andrew Harrison contributing zero to the total because he is in the D-League.

Ulis and Booker were the two best guards on UK's team last season. That should be obvious now to everybody, with Ulis being the SEC player of the year this season and Booker having a great rookie season (NBA, not D-League) and averaging 12.5 ppg.

Even Calipari has admitted that he stuck with the Harrison twins too long in the Wisconsin game last season.

This year's team did not get consistent play from its front court players. The guard play is not to blame for the team's second round exit. Had the Harrisons not left for the NBA and D-League, they would have been watching most games from the bench. They are big but too slow to ever be impact players in the NBA.

Ulis is easily the best point guard to play at UK since John Wall.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The twins are averaging a combined 0.7 points per game, with Andrew Harrison contributing zero to the total because he is in the D-League.

Ulis and Booker were the two best guards on UK's team last season. That should be obvious now to everybody, with Ulis being the SEC player of the year this season and Booker having a great rookie season (NBA, not D-League) and averaging 12.5 ppg.

Even Calipari has admitted that he stuck with the Harrison twins too long in the Wisconsin game last season.

This year's team did not get consistent play from its front court players. The guard play is not to blame for the team's second round exit. Had the Harrisons not left for the NBA and D-League, they would have been watching most games from the bench. They are big but too slow to ever be impact players in the NBA.

No way on God's Green Earth is Tyler Ulis better than Brandon Knight. Ulis wasn't better at Kentucky nor will he be a better NBA player! Hoot you didn't post any Stats to prove any of your points. Yes Ulis posted some decent stats this season at UK but the team he was leading is OUT in the second Round of the tourney and UK fans don't want to except the true reason why! Yogi Ferrell controlled the game and played better than Ulis! Yogi got his teammates more involved than Ulis did period!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The twins are averaging a combined 0.7 points per game, with Andrew Harrison contributing zero to the total because he is in the D-League.

Hoot when you compare Ulis and Murray to the Harrison twins the only stat that matters to me is 2 to 0. The twins lead UK to 2 Final Fours and Ulis and Murray were out in the second round! Murray is going to be a top 10 Draft Pick and Ulis will be a late first round pick but what they do in the NBA means little to me. Go back and check the box score and watch the game film of UKs losses to LSU, Auburn and UT! Show me game film of a clutch shot that Ulis hit this year! I watched the Kansas game and Ulis fail apart late in that game PERIOD! I don't know why but IMO Alex P and Marcus lee were better players playing with the twins than they ever were playing with Ulis!
honestjchsfan Wrote:No way on God's Green Earth is Tyler Ulis better than Brandon Knight. Ulis wasn't better at Kentucky nor will he be a better NBA player! Hoot you didn't post any Stats to prove any of your points. Yes Ulis posted some decent stats this season at UK but the team he was leading is OUT in the second Round of the tourney and UK fans don't want to except the true reason why! Yogi Ferrell controlled the game and played better than Ulis! Yogi got his teammates more involved than Ulis did period!
Ulis is a projected top 20 pick and some think that he may be a lottery pick. I posted stats throughout last season showing that Ulis and Booker were both much better than the Harrisons, but you dismissed them.

Your opinion of Ulis is at odds with NBA scouts and with SEC voters who named Ulis both POY and Defensive POY. Ulis averaged 7 assists per game. Common sense should tell you that his stats would have been even better if he had been blessed with a better front court.

Ulis is a very unselfish player who was forced to carry more of the scoring load because of the inconsistent play of UK's big players. Even though he played on a weaker team, Ulis broke John Wall's UK single season assist record despite playing fewer games.

Ulis may not become a big impact player in the NBA, but it would be hard to have less impact than the Harrison twins have had at the next level.
Obviously having great stats in high school catches one's eye. But once a kid gets to UK, throw the HS stats out the door. As a UK fan, I'm only concerned with how the players perform as Wildcats. I like Calipari, but he talks a bit too much. He needs to be introduced to "Captain Obvious" - every year he talks about how "young" his team is, yet consistently recruits "one & dones." He's made statements indicating that he's more concerned about getting players to the NBA than about the program's success. As a UK contributor, I believe he's paid to get maximum team performance from each group of players with a goal of going as far as possible in the post season tournaments. In my opinion, Ulis is the best college point guard Calipari has had at UK (including Wall).

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out what the NBA stats of a former UK player have to do with how successful he was at UK.
Sportsfan70 Wrote:Obviously having great stats in high school catches one's eye. But once a kid gets to UK, throw the HS stats out the door. As a UK fan, I'm only concerned with how the players perform as Wildcats. I like Calipari, but he talks a bit too much. He needs to be introduced to "Captain Obvious" - every year he talks about how "young" his team is, yet consistently recruits "one & dones." He's made statements indicating that he's more concerned about getting players to the NBA than about the program's success. As a UK contributor, I believe he's paid to get maximum team performance from each group of players with a goal of going as far as possible in the post season tournaments. In my opinion, Ulis is the best college point guard Calipari has had at UK (including Wall).

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out what the NBA stats of a former UK player have to do with how successful he was at UK.
Booker is averaging 11.8 points per game more in his rookie NBA season than the Harrison twins combined are averaging in their rookie season. That is a pretty good indicator that Booker is not only much better than either of the twins are as rookies at the next level, but that Booker was also a much better guard just a few months earlier when all of them were still Wildcats.

My point is, Booker and Ulis were UK's best two guards last season and should have been starters most of the season. When players earn starting positions, then they should start, or at least get the bulk of the playing time.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Booker is averaging 11.8 points per game more in his rookie NBA season than the Harrison twins combined are averaging in their rookie season. That is a pretty good indicator that Booker is not only much better than either of the twins are as rookies at the next level, but that Booker was also a much better guard just a few months earlier when all of them were still Wildcats.

My point is, Booker and Ulis were UK's best two guards last season and should have been starters most of the season. When players earn starting positions, then they should start, or at least get the bulk of the playing time.

Hoot I don't disagree with you as far as Booker goes. I think last season Booker would have been great playing in James Young's spot. You're also not telling the whole story about Booker in the NBA! Booker's stats are a result of Eric Bledsoe being injured. Had Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe both not been injured this season I doubt that Booker gets near the playing time he is getting now. Anybody who says that Ulis and Booker should have started over the twins last year is simply delusional! What heck was Cal to do? Think about it,,, he has 2 starting guards coming back that took him to a title game as freshmen. Those twins lead UK threw murderers row to get to the Finals in 2014 then they don't lose a game in 2015 until the final four! So your saying Cal is supposed to bench the Twins last season, two players that took him to a title game for a 17 year old and a Midget? That's ridiculous Hoot! Truth is Cal not watching game film and pressing UConn cost the twins a title in 2014! You keep bringing up that Ulis won SEC POY big deal Bobby Portis won it last season over Karl Towns that proves to me that the people giving that award out know very little. Only reason Ulis won that award was because Ben Simmons and his bad grades and LSU losing a key player late in the year; end of story.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Hoot I don't disagree with you as far as Booker goes. I think last season Booker would have been great playing in James Young's spot. You're also not telling the whole story about Booker in the NBA! Booker's stats are a result of Eric Bledsoe being injured. Had Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe both not been injured this season I doubt that Booker gets near the playing time he is getting now. Anybody who says that Ulis and Booker should have started over the twins last year is simply delusional! What heck was Cal to do? Think about it,,, he has 2 starting guards coming back that took him to a title game as freshmen. Those twins lead UK threw murderers row to get to the Finals in 2014 then they don't lose a game in 2015 until the final four! So your saying Cal is supposed to bench the Twins last season, two players that took him to a title game for a 17 year old and a Midget? That's ridiculous Hoot! Truth is Cal not watching game film and pressing UConn cost the twins a title in 2014! You keep bringing up that Ulis won SEC POY big deal Bobby Portis won it last season over Karl Towns that proves to me that the people giving that award out know very little. Only reason Ulis won that award was because Ben Simmons and his bad grades and LSU losing a key player late in the year; end of story.
I don't know what more Ulis could have done with a weak front line this season to bring you to your senses. He broke the school record for assists in a season, won SEC Player of the Year, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and is being discussed as a potential NBA lottery pick. The Harrisons are big, slow guards who were blessed with a very talented front court. They were on last year's team, but I would not say that the led the team to the Final Four as much as they went along for the ride. Towns, Cauley-Stein, and Lyles were the leaders of last year's team.
I would have started Ulis and Booker over the Harrisons last season after the way the Harrison twins played so uncontrolled. First off, you have two guards who are 6'5 that don't even shoot 40% from the field. Their shot selection was horrible, especially when you had two big men in Karl-Anthony Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein that both shot over 55% from the field. Yet the Harrisons took 145 more shots than Towns and Cauley-Stein that season despite making almost 20% less of their shots. Towns, especially, should have touched the ball in the post on every possession. The only time that happened was against Notre Dame in the elite eight.

At the beginning of the season I would have started the twins given how well they played in the tournament in 2014. After they started taking all the errant shots, though, I would have benched them until they utilized better shot selection and let the offense run through the dominant big men. Ulis and Booker played unselfish and the offense ran so much smoother with them on the court. Booker stretched defenses at the 2 position with his three point shooting (Aaron Harrison shot only 32% from the 2 position while taking almost 40 more attempts on the season) and Ulis played very wise as a freshman. The combination of Ulis and Booker starting combined with the Harrison twins coming off the bench would have either (A) led to the twins playing more controlled basketball and earning their starting positions back or (B) the team would have won a title with Ulis and Booker's unselfish play while the Harrison twins provided a nice spark off the bench.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't know what more Ulis could have done with a weak front line this season to bring you to your senses. He broke the school record for assists in a season, won SEC Player of the Year, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and is being discussed as a potential NBA lottery pick. The Harrisons are big, slow guards who were blessed with a very talented front court. They were on last year's team, but I would not say that the led the team to the Final Four as much as they went along for the ride. Towns, Cauley-Stein, and Lyles were the leaders of last year's team.

You're not considering the stats again Hoot! Alex P and Marcus Lee both shot over 60% from the field this year. When a player shoots over 60% they are doing a pretty good job of putting the ball in the hole! Skal shot over 50% too. When you take a look at the stats you will see that combined the Twins turned the ball over less (99 times) in 2015 to Ulis and Murray's 140 times! The twins played 3 full games more! The Twins also combined for more blocks shots and steals. The twins also took a combined 279 fewer shots than Ulis and Murray! Who was hogging the ball again? It means little to me that Ulis won the SEC defensive POY if you look at the stats this was Cal's worst team in defending the 3 point shot and next to worst total defensive team! You still have not showed me a clip of a game winning shot that Ulis or Murray hit this year! The Twins didn't win a title but they stepped up in big games !
WideRight05 Wrote:I would have started Ulis and Booker over the Harrisons last season after the way the Harrison twins played so uncontrolled. First off, you have two guards who are 6'5 that don't even shoot 40% from the field. Their shot selection was horrible, especially when you had two big men in Karl-Anthony Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein that both shot over 55% from the field. Yet the Harrisons took 145 more shots than Towns and Cauley-Stein that season despite making almost 20% less of their shots. Towns, especially, should have touched the ball in the post on every possession. The only time that happened was against Notre Dame in the elite eight.

At the beginning of the season I would have started the twins given how well they played in the tournament in 2014. After they started taking all the errant shots, though, I would have benched them until they utilized better shot selection and let the offense run through the dominant big men. Ulis and Booker played unselfish and the offense ran so much smoother with them on the court. Booker stretched defenses at the 2 position with his three point shooting (Aaron Harrison shot only 32% from the 2 position while taking almost 40 more attempts on the season) and Ulis played very wise as a freshman. The combination of Ulis and Booker starting combined with the Harrison twins coming off the bench would have either (A) led to the twins playing more controlled basketball and earning their starting positions back or (B) the team would have won a title with Ulis and Booker's unselfish play while the Harrison twins provided a nice spark off the bench.

You are not considering all the all stats. In 2015 the Harrison Twins took a combined 279 fewer shots than Murray and Ulis did in 2016. You are also not considering the twins defensive Skills, yes I know Ulis won SEC Defensive POY but Check the Box score of the UT and Auburn losses this year! Those 2 games cost UK a 2 seed this year! Two below average PGs put 26 and 27 points on Ulis! The twins allowed UK to switch every ball screen they defended the 3 point shot very well. If you check the stats Andrew Harrison actually shot a higher percentage from 3-point range than Ulis did in 2016. In 2015 Andrew turned the ball over a total of 2 more times playing 3 full games more than Ulis in 2016. Ulis was better from 2 point range but IMO Andrew played against better players, big guys like Frank Kaminsky, Myles Turner, Sam Deker Bobby Portis and Kevon Looney! No coach is going to bench his starting guards when they are in a Undefeated run! I do agree with you that UK should have ran there Offense threw Karl Towns by doing so there is a good chance that Kaminsky gets in foul trouble! Cal's game plan is Cal's fault not the Twins.
honestjchsfan Wrote:You're not considering the stats again Hoot! Alex P and Marcus Lee both shot over 60% from the field this year. When a player shoots over 60% they are doing a pretty good job of putting the ball in the hole! Skal shot over 50% too. When you take a look at the stats you will see that combined the Twins turned the ball over less (99 times) in 2015 to Ulis and Murray's 140 times! The twins played 3 full games more! The Twins also combined for more blocks shots and steals. The twins also took a combined 279 fewer shots than Ulis and Murray! Who was hogging the ball again? It means little to me that Ulis won the SEC defensive POY if you look at the stats this was Cal's worst team in defending the 3 point shot and next to worst total defensive team! You still have not showed me a clip of a game winning shot that Ulis or Murray hit this year! The Twins didn't win a title but they stepped up in big games !
The twins choked in the biggest game of their careers. Both of them.

You cannot make a statistical case that the Harrison twins were better college players than Booker and Ulis. Below are the stats for Booker, Ulis, and the Harrisons for 2015. I have also included this season's stats for Tyler Ulis. The stats are adjusted to a per 40 minutes basis to make comparisons easier for you.

The season that Tyler Ulis just finished is one of the greatest single seasons that any UK guard has ever had. The stats show that Ulis was very unselfish when he was surrounded with great talent, averaging less than 10 ppg. This season, the team needed more scoring from him, and he delivered, but he still increased his assists output over last season.

Please bookmark this post so that when you start thinking that stats support your opinion that Andrew Harrison was a better point guard than Tyler Ulis, you can bring yourself back to reality. The experts are not wrong about Ulis. He was one of the very top point guards in the country both this season and last season. His assist to turnover ratio of 4.75 this season was phenomenal and there is no better measure of a point guard's value to a team. If you compare each player's sophomore season stats, the gap between Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis is very obvious.
honestjchsfan Wrote:You are not considering all the all stats. In 2015 the Harrison Twins took a combined 279 fewer shots than Murray and Ulis did in 2016. You are also not considering the twins defensive Skills, yes I know Ulis won SEC Defensive POY but Check the Box score of the UT and Auburn losses this year! Those 2 games cost UK a 2 seed this year! Two below average PGs put 26 and 27 points on Ulis! The twins allowed UK to switch every ball screen they defended the 3 point shot very well. If you check the stats Andrew Harrison actually shot a higher percentage from 3-point range than Ulis did in 2016. In 2015 Andrew turned the ball over a total of 2 more times playing 3 full games more than Ulis in 2016. Ulis was better from 2 point range but IMO Andrew played against better players, big guys like Frank Kaminsky, Myles Turner, Sam Deker Bobby Portis and Kevon Looney! No coach is going to bench his starting guards when they are in a Undefeated run! I do agree with you that UK should have ran there Offense threw Karl Towns by doing so there is a good chance that Kaminsky gets in foul trouble! Cal's game plan is Cal's fault not the Twins.

I am considering the stats, but one other area you need to consider is the different situations between the Ulis and the Harrison twins. I do agree that it is Calipari's fault on that, not the Harrison twins. Ulis and Murray took more shots than the twins did because they lacked the talent around them that the Harrison twins had. There was no Karl Towns, no Willie Cauley-Stein or Dakari Johnson in the paint. Skal Labissiere didn't turn out to be as talented as anticipated, and his strength is hitting mid-rage jump shots - not being a strong post presence. So that didn't open anything up. The only post presence we had was an occasional score by Poythress. Lee's offense was limited to the alley-oop and hopefully we'll see him make some big improvements over the off-season to the point where he comes back playing the great basketball he is capable of.

You are right that Tyler Ulis did shoot a lower percentage from three point range than Andrew Harrison, but last year Ulis shot 42% with a a solid big man around him. Ulis still shot 34% from three this year, it's not good but there are plenty of players that shoot worse. What you didn't mention, however, was that Ulis, at 5'9, shot over 10% better from inside the three point arc than Andrew Harrison, who shot better from three point range than two point range. Ulis did not have the talent around him that the Harrison twins did, but he still took a lot of smart shots and made good decisions driving the lane. Andrew Harrison is 6'5. No guard of that size should be shooting below 40% at the college level. And I still love the Harrison twins. But they took a lot of bad shots.

If UK had a consistent big man this season, Ulis would have relied on him more and taken far fewer shots. Last year he always looked to feed it inside to Towns, Johnson, or Cauley-Stein when he had the opportunity. This year he had to create offense. It's scary to think about just how good him and Murray could have been had they had someone like Karl Towns or if Dakari Johnson had decided to come back.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The twins choked in the biggest game of their careers. Both of them.

You cannot make a statistical case that the Harrison twins were better college players than Booker and Ulis. Below are the stats for Booker, Ulis, and the Harrisons for 2015. I have also included this season's stats for Tyler Ulis. The stats are adjusted to a per 40 minutes basis to make comparisons easier for you.

The season that Tyler Ulis just finished is one of the greatest single seasons that any UK guard has ever had. The stats show that Ulis was very unselfish when he was surrounded with great talent, averaging less than 10 ppg. This season, the team needed more scoring from him, and he delivered, but he still increased his assists output over last season.

Please bookmark this post so that when you start thinking that stats support your opinion that Andrew Harrison was a better point guard than Tyler Ulis, you can bring yourself back to reality. The experts are not wrong about Ulis. He was one of the very top point guards in the country both this season and last season. His assist to turnover ratio of 4.75 this season was phenomenal and there is no better measure of a point guard's value to a team. If you compare each player's sophomore season stats, the gap between Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis is very obvious.

To say the Twins Choked is not right Hoot in the last 6 minutes of the 2015 Wisconsin game what was a foul on Wisconsin's end was not a foul on UK's end go to YouTube and watch it over. That call on WCS turned that game and he never touched the guy. Yes the gap is obvious there is a huge difference in 38-1 and 27-9.
WideRight05 Wrote:I am considering the stats, but one other area you need to consider is the different situations between the Ulis and the Harrison twins. I do agree that it is Calipari's fault on that, not the Harrison twins. Ulis and Murray took more shots than the twins did because they lacked the talent around them that the Harrison twins had. There was no Karl Towns, no Willie Cauley-Stein or Dakari Johnson in the paint. Skal Labissiere didn't turn out to be as talented as anticipated, and his strength is hitting mid-rage jump shots - not being a strong post presence. So that didn't open anything up. The only post presence we had was an occasional score by Poythress. Lee's offense was limited to the alley-oop and hopefully we'll see him make some big improvements over the off-season to the point where he comes back playing the great basketball he is capable of.

You are right that Tyler Ulis did shoot a lower percentage from three point range than Andrew Harrison, but last year Ulis shot 42% with a a solid big man around him. Ulis still shot 34% from three this year, it's not good but there are plenty of players that shoot worse. What you didn't mention, however, was that Ulis, at 5'9, shot over 10% better from inside the three point arc than Andrew Harrison, who shot better from three point range than two point range. Ulis did not have the talent around him that the Harrison twins did, but he still took a lot of smart shots and made good decisions driving the lane. Andrew Harrison is 6'5. No guard of that size should be shooting below 40% at the college level. And I still love the Harrison twins. But they took a lot of bad shots.

If UK had a consistent big man this season, Ulis would have relied on him more and taken far fewer shots. Last year he always looked to feed it inside to Towns, Johnson, or Cauley-Stein when he had the opportunity. This year he had to create offense. It's scary to think about just how good him and Murray could have been had they had someone like Karl Towns or if Dakari Johnson had decided to come back.

It goes back to the same point that I made to Hoot, Alex P and Lee both shot over 60% I agree with you most of Lee's points came from dunks but Alex P was often not involved in the Offense. Had KAT been on this years team you can't be sure that Murray and Ulis would have got him involved. I felt like Ulis put unneeded pressure on his teammates and this years team was divided. The reason Andrew's 2 point field goal percentage was so low last season is simple, watch the game films I bet over 20 times he lobbed the ball toward the rim for a pass that got counted as a shot. Make no mistake on the Offensive end I give the advantage to Murray & Ulis . I think of the 4 players Murray is by far the best Shooter and scorer! But when it comes to Half court Defense, mental toughness, Clutch shooting and putting Wins up IMO the Twins were way better! I have still not got a comment from you or Hoot about Ulis getting toasted in the UT, Auburn games. Still nothing about Ulis meltdown late in the Kansas game. Ulis being a midget hurt this team 3 point defense it's that simple. The Stats prove it!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The twins choked in the biggest game of their careers. Both of them.

The per 40 Minute stats do not factor in that Ulis was often left in games when UK had a big lead. They also don't factor in that the Twins played tougher competition! Go back and check which set of guards lead his team to more wins over Power 5 Regular season and tourney champs. Who had the most in over ranked teams!
honestjchsfan Wrote:To say the Twins Choked is not right Hoot in the last 6 minutes of the 2015 Wisconsin game what was a foul on Wisconsin's end was not a foul on UK's end go to YouTube and watch it over. That call on WCS turned that game and he never touched the guy. Yes the gap is obvious there is a huge difference in 38-1 and 27-9.
Ulis was a member of the 38-1 and a key part to its success. In fact, Ulis logged almost as many minutes as Andrew did last season. Yet, you constantly credit the Harrisons for last season's success without giving any credit to Ulis. You are entitled to your opinion, but Calipari has admitted that he stuck with the Harrisons too long in the Wisconsin game, but you seem to disagree with him.

You opined that 6'5" Andrew Harrison's 0.3 blocks per game, compared to Ulis's 0.1 blocks per game was significant. Did you notice that 6'5" inch Andrew Harrison averaged 3.5 rebounds per game, versus the 3.0 rebounds per game that 5'9" Ulis posted? I guess that is just more proof that Andrew Harrison deserved to start.

Defensive quickness and athleticism in a point guard is far more disruptive to the other team's offense than the threat of an occasional blocked shot. Big, plodding point guards cannot extend the defense against quicker guards because it makes them vulnerable to dribble penetration.

If Andrew Harrison was a good defensive player, he would not be in the D-League right now. To be fair to Aaron Harrison, I believe that he was a better shooter with Ulis in the game because Ulis created more open shots for him than his twin brother.