Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 15th Region: Who's up, who's down? Preseason Favorites!!
baseball1974 Wrote:I agree with you that LC should be the favorite coming into the season. The only thing that will hurt them is how long they will have to rely on younger guys to fill voids? Once those other guys come back it's going to be like the beginning of the season for them when everyone else is going on all cylinders. If they can overcome that and be able to hit their stride in the district, then I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the finals again. JC will have the advantage though. They have 3 pitchers better than anyone on LC's staff, and in baseball, good pitching will always beat good hitting on any level.

First off, I'm not picking a fight here. I will say that after seeing both teams early, I'd put JC as the favorite. LC has injuries and still some unknowns to figure out.

Secondly, the last statement, I will disagree with ONLY because last year it didn't work out that way. People seem to forget that LC has a pretty dominant arm themselves that, if the right draw works out, could face JC's offense.
baseball1974 Wrote:I agree with you that LC should be the favorite coming into the season. The only thing that will hurt them is how long they will have to rely on younger guys to fill voids? Once those other guys come back it's going to be like the beginning of the season for them when everyone else is going on all cylinders. If they can overcome that and be able to hit their stride in the district, then I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the finals again. JC will have the advantage though. They have 3 pitchers better than anyone on LC's staff, and in baseball, good pitching will always beat good hitting on any level.

I think we all herd this same story form you last year, how LC didn't have pitcher that would be top 3 on JC or Paintsville's staff. Yet LC beat both Paintsville and JC on their way to the regional championship, so I guess good hitting will beat good pitching some of the time.
dawg fan Wrote:I think we all herd this same story form you last year, how LC didn't have pitcher that would be top 3 on JC or Paintsville's staff. Yet LC beat both Paintsville and JC on their way to the regional championship, so I guess good hitting will beat good pitching some of the time.

I'm not saying it will end up that way. Like last year, LC could have several kids step up and exceed expectations. That could very easily happen again this year. When it is early in the season all you can do is go by "what should happen." However, these are teenagers that progress in different ways and at different times. You could go an entire season not knowing who your true #1 pitcher is. They will usually separate themselves from the pack come tournament time. JC could have kids that won't get any better all season, and other teams speed passed them. That's just how baseball works, and that is what LC did last year. Talent-wise they may have been behind JC, but none of that matters when you are talking about "survive and advance" tournaments. That is why at the higher levels they have series instead of one-game. Usually, the better team will advance in those situations. That is why I always liked how KY did the sectional tournaments. You always had the best teams going to the state tournament.
what happened to the hornets tonight against pburg? expected the hornets to win that one..
Not sure I would say that LC hit the ball well in the championship game. I believe in the big inning LC had 1 or 2 hits but JC had 2 errors and walks. I did think that LC played very good defense and that was what I though the difference was in the game. I think defense again will be the difference make again if we play in the regional tournament.
Eagle84 Wrote:Not sure I would say that LC hit the ball well in the championship game. I believe in the big inning LC had 1 or 2 hits but JC had 2 errors and walks. I did think that LC played very good defense and that was what I though the difference was in the game. I think defense again will be the difference make again if we play in the regional tournament.

Totally agree.