Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2016 15th Region: Who's up, who's down? Preseason Favorites!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who are the preseason favorites! Any big gains, or losses this year that is unexpected?
108 Stitches Wrote:Who are the preseason favorites! Any big gains, or losses this year that is unexpected?

Lawrence returns a LOT from last year's amazing season. They did lose a great group of seniors, but the underclassman set to replace them played a pivotal role last year and should fill in quite greatly. I know that the SS and 3B are sophomores that both started for them last year as freshman. Another sophomore played as a backup at 2B and DH should start.

They did lose 2 really good arms, but return one great arm and the hype is that there are a couple of surprises set to take the mound this season. I don't know if there was a transfer or not, but I've heard a few people pumping up a kid that is tall and lanky and throwing low 80's. If true, mix that with the Bailey kid, Turner, Coverdale. Keesee kid was released from his doctor from ACL recovery, from what I was told just yesterday, so he won't miss any games.

LC should be the favorite, being they are the defending champs returning about 80% of their lineup. JC will be difficult, too. They have some nice arms, but will their offense be better? And Paintsville....don't know what to say about them but losing Kash will hurt a LOT. Plus, they have had a ton of talent the past 3 years but have very little to show for it. Head scratcher, for sure.

Should be fun. Can't wait to watch some action up and down the river.
Magoffin returns everyone from last year's team , will be a threat this year.
Lawrence Co. Returns a lot, but the 1st half of the season will be tuff, with Hazard, paintsville, johnson central, and 4 district games in the first ten games. They only lost 2 everyday starters from last year, lambert and cantrell, but they also lost salyers and price. Then they had 2 two that figure to be key players this year to transfer to sheldon clark when bowens got the head coaching job. They also lost JT who decided not to play this year. The dogs are very senior heavy with about 9 seniors. So while they only graduated 4 players they actually lost 7 off of last years team. Here is what they bring back:
1. Miller sr. Catcher hit over 340 last year, 60th district player of the year last year
2. Coverdal sr. 1st base, pitcher, hit over 330 last year 15th region tournament mvp, all district.
3. Turner sr. 2nd base, pitcher hit over 330 last year 15th region all tourment
4. Cyrus soph. Ss played 2nd most of last year until keesee had his elbow injury then went ss and played great in the district and regional tournaments.
5. Parks soph. 3rd base outfield hit over 300 last year in the dh spot.
6.Bailey sr. Left field, pitcher also hit over 340 last year, one of the best pitchers in the region.
7. Keesee sr. Center field, pitcher Hit over 330, over 30 stole bases, all district, all region.
Don't think he has been compltely released, it is my understanding that he is in a transition program from rehab to playing where instead of going to physical therapy 3 days a week he can participate in baseball 3 days a week either practice or games up to the coaches how they use him.
8. Not sure who will win the right field spot with multiple players competing for the spot.
dawg fan Wrote:Lawrence Co. Returns a lot, but the 1st half of the season will be tuff, with Hazard, paintsville, johnson central, and 4 district games in the first ten games. They only lost 2 everyday starters from last year, lambert and cantrell, but they also lost salyers and price. Then they had 2 two that figure to be key players this year to transfer to sheldon clark when bowens got the head coaching job. They also lost JT who decided not to play this year. The dogs are very senior heavy with about 9 seniors. So while they only graduated 4 players they actually lost 7 off of last years team. Here is what they bring back:
1. Miller sr. Catcher hit over 340 last year, 60th district player of the year last year
2. Coverdal sr. 1st base, pitcher, hit over 330 last year 15th region tournament mvp, all district.
3. Turner sr. 2nd base, pitcher hit over 330 last year 15th region all tourment
4. Cyrus soph. Ss played 2nd most of last year until keesee had his elbow injury then went ss and played great in the district and regional tournaments.
5. Parks soph. 3rd base outfield hit over 300 last year in the dh spot.
6.Bailey sr. Left field, pitcher also hit over 340 last year, one of the best pitchers in the region.
7. Keesee sr. Center field, pitcher Hit over 330, over 30 stole bases, all district, all region.
Don't think he has been compltely released, it is my understanding that he is in a transition program from rehab to playing where instead of going to physical therapy 3 days a week he can participate in baseball 3 days a week either practice or games up to the coaches how they use him.
8. Not sure who will win the right field spot with multiple players competing for the spot.

Where could I get my hands on some of their stats? Seem like you might be a person with some inside information? Be neat to see. I'd also like to know who this kid is that a few guys have been pumping up on the mound that didn't pitch last year. I'm not even sure he played. But they say he is throwing pretty hard. Not sure if he's a transfer or someone who was just on the team and recently blossomed.

As for those 2 transfers, I don't see that being a huge problem. One didn't hardly play at all, and the other was a pitcher only. LC has always had the arms to replace people who graduate or leave.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Where could I get my hands on some of their stats? Seem like you might be a person with some inside information? Be neat to see. I'd also like to know who this kid is that a few guys have been pumping up on the mound that didn't pitch last year. I'm not even sure he played. But they say he is throwing pretty hard. Not sure if he's a transfer or someone who was just on the team and recently blossomed.

As for those 2 transfers, I don't see that being a huge problem. One didn't hardly play at all, and the other was a pitcher only. LC has always had the arms to replace people who graduate or leave.

I beleave spencer akers is who you are referring to. He is a jr. This year, played jv last 3 years. He has really worked hard in the off season. To my knowledge LC has no transfers playing, they do have a couple of kids that did not play last year but are back out this year in zach berry, and drake barger.
Hornet dad Wrote:Magoffin returns everyone from last year's team , will be a threat this year.

I agree. Magoffin has some really good players, watch out for one of their sophomores, he's about 6'5 or 6'6 and can throw heat
I think Sheldon Clark will be a lot better this year, they needed a couple more arms last year, and they got that with the transfers. I look for them to have a really good year.
JC still team to beat, with their pitching runs will be hard to come by, and that helps a team that seems to not score many themselves. Paintsville will be solid but with loss of Phelps to injury it hurts. Pikeville will be a contender again, opposite of JC they can score but question is will their pitching hold out LC will be solid again always a threat. Magoffin and Sheldon Clark should be much improved putting them in Spoiler status. Preatonsburg will down a little but still has players that if they find pitching will allow them to win. I expect that I left others out that may be improved but I am not familiar enough with any others to express an opinion.
kai Wrote:JC still team to beat, with their pitching runs will be hard to come by, and that helps a team that seems to not score many themselves. Paintsville will be solid but with loss of Phelps to injury it hurts. Pikeville will be a contender again, opposite of JC they can score but question is will their pitching hold out LC will be solid again always a threat. Magoffin and Sheldon Clark should be much improved putting them in Spoiler status. Preatonsburg will down a little but still has players that if they find pitching will allow them to win. I expect that I left others out that may be improved but I am not familiar enough with any others to express an opinion.

What happened to phelps?
Broken Arm.
kai Wrote:Broken Arm.

Man I hate that, from all accounts he is not only a great athlete but great kid. Maybe he can get back before the end of the year.
PikevillePanthers75 Wrote:I agree. Magoffin has some really good players, watch out for one of their sophomores, he's about 6'5 or 6'6 and can throw heat

What's his name, can't wait to see him pitch.
After watching Lawrence County and East Carter scrimmage last night I don't any reason why the bulldogs should not repeat as regional champions, of course anything could happen. They are solid at the plate from 1 to 9, they looked really good in the field, their pitching was solid, one kid had some trouble finding the strick zone walking 4 or 5 in a row. Wheeler looked real good on the mound. Lc didn't throw their top pitchers bailey, coverdale, turner, barenger, but I think you will see wheeler throw a lot innings this year.
coverdale, turner, bailey, miller, parks, cyrus, keesee all had multiple hits. Good to see keesee back on the field just 4 months after acl reconstruction.
I can not believe a doctor would release a player to practice let alone play after only 4 months of rehabilitation post ACL reconstruction. I myself had ACL surgery before my senior season of sports and had to work extremely hard to be released for practice after 6 months and after 7 months to play. Even that was 2-3 months earlier than the doctor intended and only occurred because of it being my senior season and a lot of hard work. 4 months is both incredible to me and potentially very dangerous and risky for the player. With that being said I wish the young man all the luck in the world and hope he has a great season that goes injury free.
I agree with most everything said so far. LC is definitely the team to beat going into the season with the amount of talent and experience they have returning. I would place JC behind them as they return a very strong pitching staff. But as the case last year where will the hitting come from. They do have a big piece in Austin Davis coming back off of being injured all of last season. They will need Davis, Geordan Blanton, and Blake Gamble to all have big seasons offensively. I would put pikeville in my top 3 as well. Only got to see them play 3-4 times last year but their young players impressed me.
Mister D Wrote:I can not believe a doctor would release a player to practice let alone play after only 4 months of rehabilitation post ACL reconstruction. I myself had ACL surgery before my senior season of sports and had to work extremely hard to be released for practice after 6 months and after 7 months to play. Even that was 2-3 months earlier than the doctor intended and only occurred because of it being my senior season and a lot of hard work. 4 months is both incredible to me and potentially very dangerous and risky for the player. With that being said I wish the young man all the luck in the world and hope he has a great season that goes injury free.

It is my understanding that he is in a transition program where instead of going to rehab 3 days a week he can practice or play 3 days a week with at least a days rest in between. Last night he was the dh, but he had a single and two run double and looked pretty good running the bases he does have a pretty good size brace on that leg. I think he has limits on him like no throwing off the mound, or playing infield.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. The important thing is that he is safe in his recovery. So many times young athletes try to come back so quickly and end up injuring themselves again. But it's always great to see a kid battle through adversity like that and come back and be successful on the field!
I for one am just really glad it's already baseball season again. Looking forward to a great year of baseball in the 15th. And looking forward to hopefully some great discussion on here.
Allen Central returning a lot of talent from last season as well
magoffin doesn't have anyone throwing close to even the lower 80's
Johnson central should be the top team. they have 3 solid pitcher in Trevor may, Josh Hitchcock, and Tate meade. but you can't count the Tigers out this year, after they get through these injuries they will be a tough team to play.
Magoffin has two pretty good arms. The Lovely kid is a very nice pitcher.
tigersrule75814 Wrote:magoffin doesn't have anyone throwing close to even the lower 80's

I beg to differ,they have a couple that throw in the 80's, Lovely and Mullins for sure and there are a couple more real close.
I don't think jchs has the bats that MC has, and the hornets will take district this season.
last I recall jc has a returning pitcher that no hit MC last year. and Lovely is the only pitcher on the MC staff that can even compete with JC in my opinion.
tigersrule75814 Wrote:last I recall jc has a returning pitcher that no hit MC last year. and Lovely is the only pitcher on the MC staff that can even compete with JC in my opinion.

That's your opinion, just have to wait until the two teams meet, but this isnt the same team as last year so don't be surprised of the outcome.
Hornet dad Wrote:That's your opinion, just have to wait until the two teams meet, but this isnt the same team as last year so don't be surprised of the outcome.

I love your pride and team support. However, it is JC at the top and everyone else WAY behind. They have 3 pitchers that are better than almost everyone else's. LC has one that would be up there in the top 5 in the region. It wouldn't surprise me to see Magoffin in the region this year, but they have a difficult road. They could, perhaps, have to beat the Osborne kid from SC and/or Meade/Kelly/Hitchcock. That would be difficult for anyone. My prediction for the 57th this year:

JC 6-0
SC 3-3
MC 2-4
Paintsville 1-5
Paintsville is in real trouble this season if they don't get some arms healthy quick. LC will be fine when they get healthy, in the JC game LC played 3 sophmores and a 8th grader in the infield, miller didn't catch and keesee didn't play at all. Coverdale has not yet pitched this year. Hitchcock for JC is a pitcher compared to a lot a of throwers in the region, there are a several that can throw 80, but being able to throw 80 and being able to pitch is 2 different things.
Anything could happen but I see another rematch in the regional finals LC and JC .
dawg fan Wrote:Paintsville is in real trouble this season if they don't get some arms healthy quick. LC will be fine when they get healthy, in the JC game LC played 3 sophmores and a 8th grader in the infield, miller didn't catch and keesee didn't play at all. Coverdale has not yet pitched this year. Hitchcock for JC is a pitcher compared to a lot a of throwers in the region, there are a several that can throw 80, but being able to throw 80 and being able to pitch is 2 different things.
Anything could happen but I see another rematch in the regional finals LC and JC .

I agree with you that LC should be the favorite coming into the season. The only thing that will hurt them is how long they will have to rely on younger guys to fill voids? Once those other guys come back it's going to be like the beginning of the season for them when everyone else is going on all cylinders. If they can overcome that and be able to hit their stride in the district, then I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the finals again. JC will have the advantage though. They have 3 pitchers better than anyone on LC's staff, and in baseball, good pitching will always beat good hitting on any level.
Pages: 1 2