Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'07 Girls Volleyball
EXTERRA3 Wrote:I think alot of people are going to be surprised at Phelps. The high school team should have a loaded bench this year, which is important to all good teams. I also don't think anyone has to worry about the coaches and their commitment. It's a whole new season and you could see a whole new attitude. Phelps may have been considered the underdog but I really think they may come out barking loud and clear this coming season. Don't forget Phelps is starting the junior high season this coming week and atleast 5 of these girls will be freshmen next year.

what was phelps record last season?
Phelps won 7 games last season, i saw them play a couple of times and I thought they were improving.
powell had a pretty good team last year, they were district champions and came in third in the 14th region.
cool
Here Are My Picks In The 15Th

Belfry--Untill Someone Knocks Them Off, They Still Have To Be The Favorite
Pike Central---Still A Dangerous Club That Will Dominate Most Of The Time
Johnson Central--Can Play The Game With Anyone In The Region
Allen Central---Could Be "THE" Sleeper Of The Region---Lots Of Good Young Talent
South Floyd---Could Make A Run---Depends On How Serious And Dedicated The Girls
Are During The Off Season
PikeVille---Could Be A Scary Team Come Tournament Time
East Ridge---Could Make Things Very Interesting During Dictrict And Regional Play
Shelby Valley---All The Athleticism That Any Coach Would Love To Have---Just Need To
Develop The Talent Already There--Could Be A Very Scary Tournament
Team
Magoffin County--Could Make Things Interesting Later In The Season
Paintsville---The Kind Of Team That NO ONE Wants To Play Come Tournament Time
Phelps---With Hard Work--Could Make Some Noise Playing Teams In The Region--Still
Plays In One Of The Toughest Districts In The State
Betsy Layne---When They Are "ON" They Could Make Life Miserable For Most Any Team
Sheldon Clark---After What Happened To Them During The All "A" Last Year---Not Sure
Where This Team Is Headng
PrestonsBurg---Could Be A Down Year For The VolleyCats---They Could Still Beat A Lot Of
Teams On Any Given Night
There Are my picks---Feel Free to comment at will on my choices :devilflam
In the 9th region it will be Notre Dame Academy and St Henry as it has been for quite sometime. Notre Dame will have a coaching change this year so it will be interesting to see how long it will take for them to get accustomed to the the new coach.
other strong teams will include Connor, Simon Kenton, Ryle, Beechwood, NewCath and Highlands..Take any of these out of the strong 9th region and put them in any other region with the exception of the Louisville area and they would dominate the competition. Unfortunately right now NDA and St Henry are just a couple of tiers better then the rest..

On a smaller school level in the 9th the Ludlow Panthers have had a couple of very nice years with 2 straight regional appearances.
the 9th Region is years a head of the 13th 14th 15th and 16th regions
Doc Holliday Wrote:the 9th Region is years a head of the 13th 14th 15th and 16th regions

You are absolutely correct and I don't see that changing much in the years to come..Here's hoping I'm wrong..
[quote=Tin Cup]Phelps could be the sleeper this year. They played last year without Blankenship who is very talented and could be a nice setter...she maybe their missing link. Also return Wolford and Hall. They have probably the tallest team in the region. One big obstacle will be to get out of the district that produced the two region finalists last year. Program is headed in the right direction.

I have to agree in a way, but i think the return of Blankenship will have a big affect on the team, she is a great setter and a talented player...with her on the line with Wolford and Hall, it could really be deadly, they all can set very well and attack also.... and they will have at lest 5 players that showed some playing time that were only 8th graders last season. Theirs also a 7th grader Kourtney Dotson that is a very talented girl in Volleyball. Going back to Blankensip to be so small she is a very skilled at the net.....Mikayla Charles and Chealse Fannin I believe will show some playin time, not to forget Stiltner(well she is decent, if she don't worry about her own stats)
BigZig Wrote:You are absolutely correct and I don't see that changing much in the years to come..Here's hoping I'm wrong..

It wont change for one simple reason, east ky doesn't have club volleyball.
There is no where for girls to play when the season isn't going on. Lexington, and western Ky is starting to have a movement torwards club teams, But Northern Ky is way a head, and Louisville has one of the best if not the best club programs going in the nation.

Eastern Ky is in the stone ages compared to Louisville in volleyball.

Assumption High is a national powerhouse, they have been ranked nationally for the past ten years, last year they were named national team of the year and this year they were ranked second.

If you ever get the chance to see them play it really is a treat for the fans, but not for their opponents.
Doc Holliday Wrote:It wont change for one simple reason, east ky doesn't have club volleyball.
There is no where for girls to play when the season isn't going on. Lexington, and western Ky is starting to have a movement torwards club teams, But Northern Ky is way a head, and Louisville has one of the best if not the best club programs going in the nation.

Eastern Ky is in the stone ages compared to Louisville in volleyball.

Assumption High is a national powerhouse, they have been ranked nationally for the past ten years, last year they were named national team of the year and this year they were ranked second.

If you ever get the chance to see them play it really is a treat for the fans, but not for their opponents.

I agree with all you say and I have seen Assumption play on a couple of ocassions when they have made appearances in NKY and as good as NDA and St Henry have been over the years they are no match for Assumption. Pretty amazing to watch..
Its actually hard to believe good they really are.

If I posted the things that I have seen them do they would doubt my word so I guess i will have to find a couple of Pics. I actully had a college coach tell me that they could beat most naia schools.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Its actually hard to believe good they really are.

If I posted the things that I have seen them do they would doubt my word so I guess i will have to find a couple of Pics. I actully had a college coach tell me that they could beat most naia schools.

No doubting here Doc. I would have to agree with him with the amount of D1 players they produce. So many hitters that can "get up" to that level. They always have 8-10 that just hammer away and very good at the one leg/lay up hit. What amazes me is their defensive ball control. I guess when you practice against those type hitters everday you will learn to dig and pass. They had one girl this year I believe she is a junior who had a 30-36 inch vertical around 5'10". Major hops...probably could grab a rim with both hands.
Tin Cup Wrote:No doubting here Doc. I would have to agree with him with the amount of D1 players they produce. So many hitters that can "get up" to that level. They always have 8-10 that just hammer away and very good at the one leg/lay up hit. What amazes me is their defensive ball control. I guess when you practice against those type hitters everday you will learn to dig and pass. They had one girl this year I believe she is a junior who had a 30-36 inch vertical around 5'10". Major hops...probably could grab a rim with both hands.

If it is the young lady that I think that it is, I actually saw her jump up to where the net was almost at her waist level. Then she just sort of floated there and picked her spot to spike the ball. One of the most amazing athletic moments I have ever seen.
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Assumption play, but would love too...I've heard it is indeed somethin to watch....
Tin Cup Wrote:No doubting here Doc. I would have to agree with him with the amount of D1 players they produce. So many hitters that can "get up" to that level. They always have 8-10 that just hammer away and very good at the one leg/lay up hit. What amazes me is their defensive ball control. I guess when you practice against those type hitters everday you will learn to dig and pass. They had one girl this year I believe she is a junior who had a 30-36 inch vertical around 5'10". Major hops...probably could grab a rim with both hands.

She has committed to.....................................Nebraska!!!!!!!
I looked in the program book yesterday, I think she was number 14...not sure.