Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'07 Girls Volleyball
who's the teams to beat this year?
The Pike County Teams....sorry....
Belfry..............
Belfry's good at everything...
well of course belfry is going to be one of the top teams in the 15th region.. but what about the other teams..
pike central should be good.. n maybe even sum underdogs might show up!!
Should be a very competitive year and interesting year...several schools returning everyone. Here's my list.

1. Johnson Central--only lost 1 starter--Conley, King and more are back
2. South Floyd--returning everyone with good floor quickness
3. Allen Central--losing three seniors--Hodge returns with a very strong soph. class
4. Belfry--losing three seniors--return 15th MVP Thacker, Staten & Branham must find setter(s)
5. PCC-returning Lowe, Weddington, Smurf & will build on 15th runner-up finish
6. Pikeville--returning everyone with nice young talent
7. Betsy Layne--returning everyone with hard working coaching staff--IMO most improved team in 15th last year along with East Ridge
8. East Ridge--players seem dedicated along with coaches
9. Magoffin County--nice hitter returns #11? Alan works hard there.

Not alot of difference in any of the teams...1-5 can all interchange...dedication will be the factor...BL, SF & AC are all in the same district...one quality team must stay home. What say you Doc?
1. Johnson Central- will be hungry after failing to get to title game, and the regional will be held on their home court.

2. Belfry-Well coached, player of the year, and know how to win. Until someone beats them when it matters, they will remain my Pick.

3. Pike Co Central-will have to replace Ratliff, but Lowe will dominate the net against most.

4. Allen Central-Maynard will have them chomping the bit, should be even better than last year. Some feel Hodge is the best player in area.

5. South Floyd- Must stay healthy, could be their best team.

6. Betsy Layne-If they can keep numbers up, may pull off a huge upset in the district.

7 .Pikeville- Very athletic team, must get over the loss to SV.

8. East Ridge- Athletic and Quick leapers, looking to improve.

9. Paintsville- very young but really improved as year went along.

10. Magoffin- Big team could make big noise if they get tournament experience.

Shelby Valley- Last years sleeper, they return all starters are a very athletic team, could be the sleeper again if they build on the upset of Pikeville.

Its a real toss up between Johnson Central and Belfry as to who will strart the season off number one.

I totally agree with Tin Cup that the top five teams all have a shot, dedication, hard work and staying injury free will decide who claims the championship.
Great post Tin Cup and Doc Holliday. You two really do a good job on here.

I'm picking Belfry as the #1 team in the region. They have great players and one of the best coaches in the state. The Lady Pirates have the heart of a champion and until someone can knock them off they are the team to beat.
Does Phelps not have a volleyball team???
All East Ridge.
Yes Phelps has a team, and I felt they were much better last year, I just think they are a year away from making noise in the region.

I didnt mention Shelden Clark or Prestonsburg either.
Pburgs best shot was this past season i dont see them making a run at region,
And SC im not sure what they have coming back but with JC. Mag co. and Paintsville they will have it rough
Phelps could be the sleeper this year. They played last year without Blankenship who is very talented and could be a nice setter...she maybe their missing link. Also return Wolford and Hall. They have probably the tallest team in the region. One big obstacle will be to get out of the district that produced the two region finalists last year. Program is headed in the right direction.

Who does Sheldon Clark return? I remember them having a very athletic soph.
Mountain Christian Academy!
~Blair~ Wrote:Mountain Christian Academy!

I think you are confused....They are talking about High School volleyball not Middle School....
Doc Holliday Wrote:1. Johnson Central- will be hungry after failing to get to title game, and the regional will be held on their home court.

2. Belfry-Well coached, player of the year, and know how to win. Until someone beats them when it matters, they will remain my Pick.

3. Pike Co Central-will have to replace Ratliff, but Lowe will dominate the net against most.

4. Allen Central-Maynard will have them chomping the bit, should be even better than last year. Some feel Hodge is the best player in area.

5. South Floyd- Must stay healthy, could be their best team.

6. Betsy Layne-If they can keep numbers up, may pull off a huge upset in the district.

7 .Pikeville- Very athletic team, must get over the loss to SV.

8. East Ridge- Athletic and Quick leapers, looking to improve.

9. Paintsville- very young but really improved as year went along.

10. Magoffin- Big team could make big noise if they get tournament experience.

Shelby Valley- Last years sleeper, they return all starters are a very athletic team, could be the sleeper again if they build on the upset of Pikeville.

Its a real toss up between Johnson Central and Belfry as to who will strart the season off number one.

I totally agree with Tin Cup that the top five teams all have a shot, dedication, hard work and staying injury free will decide who claims the championship.
looks good
shelby valley has athletic girls.. not the tallest team in the 15th but pretty athletic.. one of SVs biggest problems is keepin a consistent coach.. personally i believe if they can keep ratliff for the next 2 or 3 yrs .. they might have a better record than previous years.. maybe they can pull off a district win
Sheldon Clark's most recent Volleyball talent came from the Season of 2001.

We need camps and clinics so girls aren't just playing to be playing! This program needs to get serious!
twentythree Wrote:Sheldon Clark's most recent Volleyball talent came from the Season of 2001.

We need camps and clinics so girls aren't just playing to be playing! This program needs to get serious!

amen
Don't forget about Magoffin. They have a lot of young talent coming back and it looks like Coach Skaggs is picking up a couple of those Lady Hornet basketball players.

Should be an interesting year.
Tin Cups looks right on but swith Belfry and Allen central at 3 and 4.
I say it's too hard to tell anything right now.
Looks like majority of the top teams has up-coming Juniors to count on.

Who would be some top Junior starters?

Looks like almost everyone has solid middles to count on.

Allen Central looks like they have all Juniors to count on for a while.
They have a few who will def. step up.

Belfry has everyone's favorite (Thacker).

South Floyd can def. count on Hamilton girl this year.
She's a really strong middle.

Kayla Lowe from PCC. she'll be a Junior right? (Also a good middle)
Tin Cup Wrote:Phelps could be the sleeper this year. They played last year without Blankenship who is very talented and could be a nice setter...she maybe their missing link. Also return Wolford and Hall. They have probably the tallest team in the region. One big obstacle will be to get out of the district that produced the two region finalists last year. Program is headed in the right direction.

Who does Sheldon Clark return? I remember them having a very athletic soph.

I agree with you that Phelps may be a sleeper this year.
And I believe they have been developing some decent talent these last few years.
Things like this just take time. So those girls should just go out play their hardest and eventually their time will come. Not to mention that they lost no players and will only lose about one after this next year. But yea I have to agree one of the tallest teams Ive seen. I just hope that the coaches stay commited and care enough that as soon as the season starts they get in the gym to condition and practice as much as possible so they can stand a chance this next year. I know I would love to see it happen!
BUNDY Wrote:Don't forget about Magoffin. They have a lot of young talent coming back and it looks like Coach Skaggs is picking up a couple of those Lady Hornet basketball players.

Should be an interesting year.

It would be very hard to forget or overlook the outstanding female athletes roaming those halls, combine with Coach Staggs hard work and dedication looks like a great formula for success.

I would love to see alot more of the basketball players in the region participating.
Fan1 Wrote:I say it's too hard to tell anything right now.
Looks like majority of the top teams has up-coming Juniors to count on.

Who would be some top Junior starters?

Looks like almost everyone has solid middles to count on.

Allen Central looks like they have all Juniors to count on for a while.
They have a few who will def. step up.

Belfry has everyone's favorite (Thacker).

South Floyd can def. count on Hamilton girl this year.
She's a really strong middle.

Kayla Lowe from PCC. she'll be a Junior right? (Also a good middle)

Kayla Lowe is a junior this year. Hey Doc is Hamilton #6? Who is #1 left handed I believe. I really like her game...both of them.

Don't forget about Conley (JC)...is King a sophomore this year?
Haimlton is #9 and Brittany Little is #1 she will be a sophmore as will Hamilton
meganwillis10 Wrote:Haimlton is #9 and Brittany Little is #1 she will be a sophmore as will Hamilton

Thanks...good players
Does anyone know who ER even returns this year? In the past it has been the seniors that have stepped up for them. I have no idea who will even be playing this coming season to give an opinion on their team. Madison Miller is the only possibility that I can think of.

Doc's list looks pretty dead on with my opinions though.

They should have many girls to pick from. Coach Spradlin and his wife have created alot of interest in the game there and work extremely hard with their players. They had a couple nice wins last year as well as winning the district. I think they lost about six seniors.
I think Doc's is right on....tin cup makes some good points also.
catzfan5 Wrote:I agree with you that Phelps may be a sleeper this year.
And I believe they have been developing some decent talent these last few years.
Things like this just take time. So those girls should just go out play their hardest and eventually their time will come. Not to mention that they lost no players and will only lose about one after this next year. But yea I have to agree one of the tallest teams Ive seen. I just hope that the coaches stay commited and care enough that as soon as the season starts they get in the gym to condition and practice as much as possible so they can stand a chance this next year. I know I would love to see it happen!

I think alot of people are going to be surprised at Phelps. The high school team should have a loaded bench this year, which is important to all good teams. I also don't think anyone has to worry about the coaches and their commitment. It's a whole new season and you could see a whole new attitude. Phelps may have been considered the underdog but I really think they may come out barking loud and clear this coming season. Don't forget Phelps is starting the junior high season this coming week and atleast 5 of these girls will be freshmen next year.