Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Start Talking 15th Region Tennis
I'm so excited about Tennis starting!! Amy and I have been excited for a while now Smile I want to see how everyone has improved and I just love the feeling of the competition. (btw thnx for ur comments)
I am excited as well i think i have improved a little...
hornet_gurl Wrote:I am excited as well i think i have improved a little...
Im quite sure you have but if you havnt i can help with that
Sheldon Clark has a new coach this year in Eddie Fitch, a teacher at Inez Middle. He is allowing middle schoolers to play this year, which I think is great. There is probably about 30 people playing, if not more. If they keep playing til their senior year in high school, SCHS tennis will need to be looked out for.. Some names that everyone should watch out for this year are Kyle Kirk, Brett Vanover, Erica Cline, Brittni McCoy, Tierra Davis, Courtney Maynard and Amanda Preece. These are returning players from last year and have stepped up their games since then!
Amy Coldiron and Amelia Watkins will be the girls to beat in doubles, and they are only juniors.
Saleen_Insanity Wrote:Amy Coldiron and Amelia Watkins will be the girls to beat in doubles, and they are only juniors.
SC's Erica Cline & Brittni McCoy, Cline senior, McCoy junior. I look for a great match between these two doubles teams.
15th Region tennis is garbage compared to other places across the state. ESPECIALLY the girls doubles from Magoffin and SC...Big Grin
corndog23 Wrote:15th Region tennis is garbage compared to other places across the state. ESPECIALLY the girls doubles from Magoffin and SC...Big Grin

I have to agree with you a little corndog, the 15th region is a little weaker compared to some regions across the state, but I do believe that there are a few players in our area that have the potential to do something at the state tournament. I haven't seen him play since last year, but the Martin kid from LC has improved alot, so I have heard. I'm excited to see him play this coming season. Last time I saw him over the summer, he had gotten alot taller and alot stronger. I am also excited to see both of the Hughes kids play from Paintsville. I heard that they have been practicing alot during the off-season. We will just have to wait to see what happens.
Sorry, I don't mean that anyone in particular in the region is weaker that other regions, I mean that the region as a whole does not have the top caliber players such as the schools in Louisville and Lexington.
corndog23 Wrote:15th Region tennis is garbage compared to other places across the state. ESPECIALLY the girls doubles from Magoffin and SC...Big Grin

This statement is far from true!!! Yes there are a few regions in the Louisville and Lexington area that are much stronger.

If you believe WE are garbage thats all we will ever be!!!!

If you have followed tennis over the past years you may remember some names like Jeremy Clark, Chad Williams, Kelly Williams, Crystal Sammons, Mathin Riffe, Chris Martin, Megan Sammons. These were all great players from the current 15th region schools. They all had success across the state and were ranked very high in their respective age groups.

Not to mention we now have Nathan Martin who is one of the best players in the state and can compete with most anyone in the state.

Tell these kids that they are garbage.

If WE talk about ourselves this way, what do we expect others to think?? We are from Eastern Kentucky be proud of it!!!!
Yeah, I believe you put it just right southernfan. My last couple post were not supposed to sound negative. I wasn't meaning to bash the 15th region ny any means. I believe that there has been alot of good players that have come out of this area of the state. Although the region is a little weaker this year than it has been, I still believe that there are a several players that will have alot of success in tennis come this season. With alot of the good players graduating from high school, here is the opportunity for some new people to step up and represent the 15th region at the state tournament. No doubt, I believe Nathan Martin from LC is up to the challenge. I believe that Nathan Martin has already got it sealed, winning his third straight 15th region singles championship. But who knows what could happen???

Everyone just needs to BELIEVE in the 15th region, and SUCCESS will come.
15th Region tennis does pretty good for the disadvantage that we have here in the mountains. With some exceptions, our kids DO NOT have the facilities to play and take lessons YEAR ROUND. Some few do by driving to Ashland, Huntington, and other areas, but the majority don't have that option. And even the one's that do find it hard to get a lot of practice time in during the fall and winter. But the kids in Ashland, Huntington, Lexington, Louisville and so forth can practice and take lessons year round and not be out any inconvenience. We have had good players and we will continue to have good players, but the 15th will always be weaker as a whole until we get some facilities here in the mountains. Hopefully one day that will happen!!
EKY Sportster Wrote:15th Region tennis does pretty good for the disadvantage that we have here in the mountains. With some exceptions, our kids DO NOT have the facilities to play and take lessons YEAR ROUND. Some few do by driving to Ashland, Huntington, and other areas, but the majority don't have that option. And even the one's that do find it hard to get a lot of practice time in during the fall and winter. But the kids in Ashland, Huntington, Lexington, Louisville and so forth can practice and take lessons year round and not be out any inconvenience. We have had good players and we will continue to have good players, but the 15th will always be weaker as a whole until we get some facilities here in the mountains. Hopefully one day that will happen!!
I completely agree! Tennis just isn't took as serious here in the mountains like basketball and football.
What was Prestonsburgs Boys name that played Paintsvilles boys last year in the championship for the title? I think it was Prestonsburg im pretty sure I was wondering if the tall kid graduated or is a senior this year?
If it was singles it was probably Jared Harmon...
But the tall kid, would be Trevor Patton & no he's a senior this year.
Patton was the only player on the team to win his match against paintsville on thursday.
How's everyones matches going?
Region is coming up soon, we only have a few matches left.