Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Start Talking 15th Region Tennis
Who's the team and players to beat??
I heard that JC would have some teams this year. Any truth to that?
I have heard JC will have a team

Who are the players to beat?

Prediction:

Nathan Martin of Lawrence County still top player in 15th

Zach Hughes of Paintsville second

Kelsey Hughes of Paintsville top girls player
Team to beat: Paintsville (Boys) and Pikeville or Morgan Co. (Girls)

Players to beat: Nathan Martin of Lawrence Co. with Zach Hughes of Paintsville second. Pikeville and PCC should have a good first seed on the boys, but not in the same league as Martin or Hughes. From what I understand, Hughes has made great improvement since last season, but I don't see Nathan losing to anyone this season though. He is just too good and too far ahead of the pack at this point. I think that Kelsey Hughes of Paintsville should be a top contender for the girls.
I agree with Paintsville Boys, this could be their year. Outside of Nathan Martin, Lawrence County is down this year and not a probable contender. What about Pikeville and Prestonburg boys, are they deep enough to compete as a team? Morgan County girls could be the team to beat.

Both Zach and Kelsey Hughes have worked hard in the off season. Practicing several days a week and playing tournaments. They have both improved greatly and are much better players than last season. Zach should go undefeated against everyone except Nathan Martin. It would not suprise me if Kelsey is undefeated.

Yes, Nathan is far ahead of the pack, but we've not seen his best tennis yet!! He has expanded and changed his practice and training routines during the off season. Last time I saw him play he looked much taller and stronger, and was hitting the ball stronger. He is playing more tournaments and has greatly improved from last year.
Southernfan Wrote:I agree with Paintsville Boys, this could be their year. Outside of Nathan Martin, Lawrence County is down this year and not a probable contender. What about Pikeville and Prestonburg boys, are they deep enough to compete as a team? Morgan County girls could be the team to beat.

Both Zach and Kelsey Hughes have worked hard in the off season. Practicing several days a week and playing tournaments. They have both improved greatly and are much better players than last season. Zach should go undefeated against everyone except Nathan Martin. It would not suprise me if Kelsey is undefeated.

Yes, Nathan is far ahead of the pack, but we've not seen his best tennis yet!! He has expanded and changed his practice and training routines during the off season. Last time I saw him play he looked much taller and stronger, and was hitting the ball stronger. He is playing more tournaments and has greatly improved from last year.

:thumpsup: Well put!

I would add that LC has a rising star in Tanner Queen! He has improved his game 300% since last season. And he is still young too!

I also think that most all of the 15th Region teams are down this year from last year's talent level. There were a lot of seniors that were lost to graduation and even Paintsville (which returns most of last years team lost their #1 seed of last year to a transfer and their #3 seed to graduation. So it should be down overall this season compared with last.
I know the Hughes kids from Paintsville have been work very hard for the past year. Should see some improvement in both. Good Luck Tennis Tigers!
Spring sports start next Thursday

Time to play tennis!!!!!
As soon as anyone gets their tennis team schedule or "tentative" schedule, post them on here for people to see. Let's get everyone fired up for a good season!!
Tennis season is right around the corner!:rockon:

Martin from LC will be unstoppable i do believe.
OffTheHook Wrote:I heard that JC would have some teams this year. Any truth to that?

Yes they will be. Some notable players that i know to keep an eye on there is Daniel Green (Sr.), and Heath Ward (Fr.). Only ones i know of. I herd some talk that Zac Sergent (Sr.) and maybe Joe Whitaker (So.) possibly playing.
Sheldon Clark just started tennis a couple years ago. They dont win a lot of overall matches between teams, but they have some standout players that do very well.
cards_athlete Wrote:Sheldon Clark just started tennis a couple years ago. They dont win a lot of overall matches between teams, but they have some standout players that do very well.

At least they have a team and try. They will get their turn, all teams' dominance come and go. Just work hard and keep playing!
This is so true!!!!!

EKY Sportster Wrote:At least they have a team and try. They will get their turn, all teams' dominance come and go. Just work hard and keep playing!

This is so true!!!!!

If you play and practice hard you will get better. Don't get frustrated when you loose matches. Winning is a process!!! Your day will come if you work hard.

The top players in this region like Nathan Martin, Zach and Kelsey Hughes have played a long time and practice year round. I think Nathan has played since he was 4 or 5 years old.

Remember this is a tough game that looks easy!!!!
I didnt even know the 15th had tennis
The_Pistol Wrote:I didnt even know the 15th had tennis

Yep, they sure do. 15th actually has some great players that can actually do something at state. May not win it, but can do some good and bring attention to EKY. The mountains isn't known for tennis. We all know basketball and football has that covered.
Southernfan Wrote:This is so true!!!!!

This is so true!!!!!

If you play and practice hard you will get better. Don't get frustrated when you loose matches. Winning is a process!!! Your day will come if you work hard.

The top players in this region like Nathan Martin, Zach and Kelsey Hughes have played a long time and practice year round. I think Nathan has played since he was 4 or 5 years old.

Remember this is a tough game that looks easy!!!!

I agree! A lot of people think they can just go out there and hit the ball across the net, and thats all there is to it. This game takes stamina, hard work, dedication, as does every other sport. You have to know place of the ball, good form is always a big plus, and your mind has to be moving, as well as your feet, at all times. This game takes time to perfect, or reach full potential, which actually may never come along. Most of all, this game takes heart!
Does anyone know how many of the top 6 seeds the Pikeville boys and girls teams return?
EKY Sportster Wrote:As soon as anyone gets their tennis team schedule or "tentative" schedule, post them on here for people to see. Let's get everyone fired up for a good season!!
This is the schedule for Magoffin:

March 26-Morgan Co
March 27-Paintsville
March 29-Lee
March30-Pikeville
April 10-Pike Central
April 11-Sheldon Clark
April 12-Johnson Central
April 17-Lee
April 19-morgan County
April 20-Rowan & East Carter @ Morehead State University
April 21-Prestonburg Invitational Tournament@ Archer Park
April 23-Pike Central
April 24- Paintsville
April 25-Sheldon Clark
April 26-Lawerence County
April 30- Johnson Central
May 1-Prestonsburg
May 2-Prestonsburg -lol-
May 7-Pikeville
May 14- 15th Regional Tournament @ Archer Park
Amelia Watkins and Amy Coldiron of Magoffin Co. are two very good players. I think they will make a strong push for the region doubles title this year.
BUNDY Wrote:Amelia Watkins and Amy Coldiron of Magoffin Co. are two very good players. I think they will make a strong push for the region doubles title this year.

I believe the duo of Erica Cline and Brittni McCoy from Sheldon Clark will be in their way Confusedhh:
cards_athlete Wrote:I believe the duo of Erica Cline and Brittni McCoy from Sheldon Clark will be in their way Confusedhh:
I'm not sure on that one.. but it will be good..
hornet_gurl Wrote:I'm not sure on that one.. but it will be good..

I see both doubles teams meeting in the finals, and going to state.
cards_athlete Wrote:I see both doubles teams meeting in the finals, and going to state.
I agree it will be a good match..
You can't leave out the Morgan Co. girls doubles team that won it last year!! Should be some good tennis matches. Of course if the Morgan Co. girls doubles choose to play singles this year, that could make it easier for Magoffin!
hornet_gurl Wrote:This is the schedule for Magoffin:

March 26-Morgan Co
March 27-Paintsville
March 29-Lee
March30-Pikeville
April 10-Pike Central
April 11-Sheldon Clark
April 12-Johnson Central
April 17-Lee
April 19-morgan County
April 20-Rowan & East Carter @ Morehead State University
April 21-Prestonburg Invitational Tournament@ Archer Park
April 23-Pike Central
April 24- Paintsville
April 25-Sheldon Clark
April 26-Lawerence County
April 30- Johnson Central
May 1-Prestonsburg
May 2-Prestonsburg -lol-
May 7-Pikeville
May 14- 15th Regional Tournament @ Archer Park

THANKS FOR THE POST AND INFO!! If any other team has their schedule, please post it!
Word is that the Morgan Co. girls won't be playing doubles this year. Can anyone clarify on this?
I'm not sure but i heard the same thing as well..
cards_athlete Wrote:Word is that the Morgan Co. girls won't be playing doubles this year. Can anyone clarify on this?

I guess that would make sense in one respect. But they are going to have a tough time playing singles too. Being that they have won the doubles last year, it might be better for them to stay with doubles. Otherwise they may not make it to state.
Paintsville schedule:

3/27 Magoffin Co. (H)
3/29 Prestonsburg (A)
4/03 Sheldon Clark (H)
4/05 Morgan Co. (H)
4/09 Hazard (H)
4/10 Pikeville (H)
4/12 June Buchanan (H)
4/16 Lee Co. (H)
4/17 Pike Central (H)
4/19 Sheldon Clark (A)
4/21 Prestonsburg Tourney (A)
4/24 Magoffin Co. (A)
4/26 Prestonsburg (H)
4/28 East Carter (Ashland)
4/30 Morgan Co. (A)
5/01 Lawrence Co. (H)
5/03 Pikeville (A)
5/08 Pike Central (H)
5/10 Lee Co. (A)
5/14-5/19 Regional Tourney

(Dates for Johnson Central to be scheduled at a later date)

Should be some good matches!