Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 27 Lawrence County 23
0ff The Chain Wrote:I feel the direct opposite about the running game. I thought we ran the ball way to much on early downs and kept getting nailed for losses time and time again and putting us in predictable passing situations. I know it would be great to have balance but at some point you have to be smart enough to figure out that when you run the ball your just giving a play away because we were going nowhere. I did not understand why they kept lining people up all on one side instead of going 4 wide,2 on each side and run deep routes and then some underneath. It seemed to me the majority of the pass plays either involved a 1 wr route that pretty much had triple coverage on(Dalton happened to get behind them some) or a trips formation that had 3 wr's all running routes way to close to each other and allowing 1 Belfry defender to cover them. A lot of out routes that was making Kiser have to try and gun the ball bout 20 yards or more just to get a 5 yard gain to the sideline. I don't claim to be a coach but it just seemed that as far as Belfry's corners were playing off why not run some quick slants?or have the TE come across underneath some deeper routes. I just didn't think the personnel was fully used like it could have been. Proud of the way the kids played and hopefully we can make it back there for another crack at it.
BINGO. you got it. way to many talented players to depend on just seep passes. not enough check down.
if lc had to lose this is the one. come november it may be different. say what you will but having nine fumbles in one game mid season is not a good indicator of progress. lc defense had a lot to do with that. belfrys defense is stout and horton is the hulk. they saved the pirates in this game.
Congrats Belfry. Good teams find a way to win in spite of a bad performance.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Horton rarely did not get double teamed. Lawrence did a good job taking him out of plays, too. But don't let the lack of his name being called fool you, he rushed several throws and caused Kiser to have to cut back the other way or scramble more than once.

Regardless of how many or how few tackles Horton has he is always a disruption just because of the amount of game planning and attention he requires from other teams. Bently #44 I think is a beast as well. The sooner they go off to college the better lol.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I cant believe you Belfry fans are jumping ship.

Our jobs are done.

Trolls, back to the bridge. Our work is done.

They have to pay toll when they cross this troll Confusednicker:
Does this result mean that Cabell Midland would not be a top 3 team in Kentucky and maybe CM is actually not the best team Belfry has faced in many years?
AtlPirateFan Wrote:It just feels like this team is lacking a leader and fire, it seems to be each week the radio crew comments on the lack of fire.

Part of me feels like the lack of fire and lack of a leader emerging stems from the 12th man. It's noted each week that the boys are begging the fans to make noise. Coach Haywood has made comments about the lack of crowd and crowd enthusiasm in pre-game interviews at least twice this year.

You've got people all around the country tuning in every Friday night wishing they were sitting in CAM stadium and the "fans" right there in Pike Co can't even be bothered to show up and support the team. I have been constantly frustrated with the crowd over the last few years but it keeps getting worse. I got to attend last years Seminfinal game the first game I had seen live since 2006 and and was disappointed to see that only about three or four sections of the crowd really got loud for the boys. In my opinion some of the people at the game need to start challenging our fans to get loud for those boys every single play of the game and be invested in what's happening on the field and stop with the Friday night socializing. It's dead silent until a big run breaks then it's silent again.

I don't remember this lack of enthusiasm at Vipperman even during those late 90s years when the team was rebuilding.

I watched Belfry Middle School Play at Hazard and Belfrys fan support was amazing. If those same fans attend varsity games I would have hard time believing the Pirates are lacking in fan support. If they don't attend games there is a big disconnect between the Middle School and Varsity Programs.
Come playoff time the RED Army will be marching in lock step. Previous years have been full of fumbles during the season as well. But this staff hasn't won state titles by luck.
Hard to beat the Red Army's ground and pound as fall turns colder.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Does this result mean that Cabell Midland would not be a top 3 team in Kentucky and maybe CM is actually not the best team Belfry has faced in many years?

of course that's what it means.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Come playoff time the RED Army will be marching in lock step. Previous years have been full of fumbles during the season as well. But this staff hasn't won state titles by luck.
Hard to beat the Red Army's ground and pound as fall turns colder.

They won by recruiting West Virginia:flame:
yea, but LC has their fair share of kids from across the river also.
pjdoug Wrote:of course that's what it means.
It was a rhetorical question, but you earn a :1: for answering it for others who may have broken sarcasm detectors.
The bulldogs problem is the same as it has been in the past. coaching staff. Plain and simple. As long as LC keeps Joey Cecil as head coach this is as good as it's going to get. The difference between LC and Belfry is not the kids it's the coaches. This senior class is probably the biggest most talent laden class that has came through LC and it is a shame that they will not even win district.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Does this result mean that Cabell Midland would not be a top 3 team in Kentucky and maybe CM is actually not the best team Belfry has faced in many years?

No it means that Lawrence County is a lot better than anyone gives them credit for. Without a doubt these two teams will meet for the regional title and one of them will represent the east in bowling green.
dawg fan Wrote:No it means that Lawrence County is a lot better than anyone gives them credit for. Without a doubt these two teams will meet for the regional title and one of them will represent the east in bowling green.
Lawrence County has a solid 1A program, but their enrollment numbers have them trapped in 3A. The gap between Belfry and LC will widen between now and the playoffs. LC needed home field advantage and they blew a golden opportunity to secure it.

The bad news for Belfry is that Cabell Midland is probably not the best team that the Pirates will face this season.
^
Who is the best team, Hoot?
After sleeping on it, I do think Belfry can really feel good that they hung in there and kept fighting to win despite the series of mishaps thoughout the game.

Only listening on the radio, I take a lot from what Coach Mick says. He made it seem like there was a lack of execution (smoothness he called it) that really surprised him.

Teams know what Belfry is going to run. It all comes down to can they stop it if Belfry executes well and takes care of the football.
Johnson Central will not beat Belfry 49-0, in part because Matney has so much respect for his alma mater's program. Both teams will play conservatively and avoid injuries heading into the playoffs, so I don't expect the final score to reflect the winning team's dominance.

I am also not sure that Cabell Midland would beat Boyle County. I have not seen any of these teams play this season, but I suspect that both Boyle and JC are being underrated by most people. South Warren fans are in for a rude awakening.
I'd love to see the Belfry/JC match up! THINKING about blowing off our game with Bell Co to see it. Don't know though. Halloween weekend appears to be the rivalry games in the mountains.
Belfry kept LC in the game with all the fumbles. LC scored on 2 long pass plays (13) and 2 turnovers. One I believe 43 yard field goal (3) and one fumble around Belfrys 10 yard line(7). LC could not sustain a drive. Belfrys D was awesome as usual but we had a real bad night on offense.

The fans from LC were loud.Most of the time I could here them over the Belfry fans. Our turn out was poor. I know some people are not able to sit in the rain because of health reasons. This was a district game we should have been packed. Just because you come to the game doesn't make you a fan. I see a lot of people on there phones our talking instead of cheering. This is a ball game not a social event.The boys see it to. My son has spoke to me about it a few times. We need to be there and be loud all the time.
You're crazy if you think Matney would hold back on running the score up on Belfry. If JC doesn't run the score up its because they can't. They would leave their varsity in against Phelps the entire game. Was it 2011 they beat us something like 49-0? I also remember a hyped up JC team that got destroyed by Cov Cath. Sound familiar?

Yes it does.. there is many teams in ky that would beat CM

I would take Pulaski county and Johnson central over them just from the mountains
Fundamentals Wrote:You're crazy if you think Matney would hold back on running the score up on Belfry. If JC doesn't run the score up its because they can't. They would leave their varsity in against Phelps the entire game. Was it 2011 they beat us something like 49-0? I also remember a hyped up JC team that got destroyed by Cov Cath. Sound familiar?
This is one of the most ignorant posts that I have read on BGR - ever. I don't know who "us" is. I don't recall JC ever beating Belfry 49-0 (the Belfry score was 21-14 in 2011) and it has been a long time since Lawrence County was willing to play JC. Belfry is an extremely well coached team that always peaks for the playoffs, but time is running out fast for this Belfry team.

Large numbers of unforced fumbles don't just happen to good teams this time of year. The excuses by a handful of Belfry fans is getting comical. We would have won big if, if, if... Confusednicker:
BP2011 Wrote:Yes it does.. there is many teams in ky that would beat CM

I would take Pulaski county and Johnson central over them just from the mountains
So would I. I would not even rule out Ashland beating Cabell Midland this season, although I would consider it a mild upset.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:This is one of the most ignorant posts that I have read on BGR - ever. I don't know who "us" is. I don't recall JC ever beating Belfry 49-0 (the Belfry score was 21-14 in 2011) and it has been a long time since Lawrence County was willing to play JC. Belfry is an extremely well coached team that always peaks for the playoffs, but time is running out fast for this Belfry team.

Large numbers of unforced fumbles don't just happen to good teams this time of year. The excuses by a handful of Belfry fans is getting comical. We would have won big if, if, if... Confusednicker:

Of the 9 fumbles I only seen two that were not a result of lc player striping the ball or a big hit. They had two on a pitch that I would consider unforced. Now lets not forget that belfry got two of their touchdowns from lc turnovers deep in their own end. One on the interception and one on the bad snap to the punter.
Belfry does not have Austin Hatfield you put a solid hit on these running backs they will put it on the ground. They are faster than last years backs but not nearly as strong.
Same backs from last year other than Austin at FB and Keaton Taylor at qb
No one on this team comes anywhere near Keaton's speed
If I rember last year taylor didn't play in the 1st game at lc, and hatfield just killed us.
This game has zero impact on how good CM is. Midland moved the ball at will on Belfry and made the best of the turnovers Belfry gave them. LC aside from two deep passes did not have that same success with 7 balls gifted to them.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:This game has zero impact on how good CM is. Midland moved the ball at will on Belfry and made the best of the turnovers Belfry gave them. LC aside from two deep passes did not have that same success with 7 balls gifted to them.

Did you watch the game? Those were forced turnovers
The only one I recall not being a forced turnover was the bad pitch on a 3rd and long
BP2011 Wrote:Did you watch the game? Those were forced turnovers
The only one I recall not being a forced turnover was the bad pitch on a 3rd and long

Forced or not forced has no impact on my statement. LC offensively aside from two deep passes could not make the beat of 7 takeaways and their offense for the most part was lethargic. Belfry moved the ball with ease but failed to protect the ball when they did. Midland made the most of the turnovers and moved the ball at will against Belfry. This game has no impact on CMs skill that is the only point being made