Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 27 Lawrence County 23
Dawg Family Wrote:Coach Matney has burnt the bridge not the kids or administration . I have said this before as long as coach Cecil is head coach I don’t think you will see him schedule JC. The last time these two programs got together I think it was in 07 or 08 it was a pre-season scrimmage it took place in Louisa and there were more fighting then playing that day. I Know that was a long time ago and I’m sure both sides was at fault but I do remember some harsh words between Matney and Goldsmith that day and if I was on the coaching staff I wouldn’t have anything to do with Him either. With that said I’m confident that no one is afraid of each other but some things are just better left alone. I was a fan of Mr. Matney I always liked him when he was at SC I thought he did a great great job with that program as he has with JC. But after that day and the way he conducted himself and let his team conduct there self I lost any respect I had for him as a coach. I’m sure I had my red & black glasses on that day but you would just had to have been there. As for JC I had said for years that they was a sleeping giant in eastern KY with the school that size and centrally located in the county it just took a coach to make them a power house like they are today. I never could see how teams like Paintsville and Lawrence Co was able to beat them for so many years but they did. I think when you see a coaching change on either team you will probably see these two meet up again on the grid iron. Only time will tell and of course all this is just my opinion I’m no longer close to the program as I was back in them days. Heck Joey might schedule them next year and you can say I don’t know what I’m talking about. That will be OK too. I would love to see 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A state tittles be won by Eastern Ky schools this year and I think it can happen this year I’ll be pulling for all the local schools even though I no longer live in the area GOOD LUCK TO ALL . chemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
You've seemed to convince yourself that Johnson Central has scrimmaged Lawrence County in the past. I've been on the staff at JC since Coach Matney's arrival and we've never scrimmaged Lawrence County. LC was in our district in the 05 and 06 seasons and in the 07 season we were moved to the central Kentucky district in 5A. We have scouted Lawrence County scrimmages before though when there were more fights than football and if I'm not mistaken it was either the 07 or 08 season when LC scrimmaged Montgomery County. We were there to watch Montgomery County since we were new to that district and there was multiple fights during the scrimmage. The last time that JC and LC played was in a regular season game at Lawrence County during the 06 season but we have never scrimmaged Lawrence County in the last 12 seasons that I've been involved in.
Eagle84 Wrote:[quote=Fundamentals]Hey Eagle84, I suppose by the way you talk that top tier talent in Canada JC used to schedule is more superior to the teams LC schedules. Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Hopefully now that you guys have more of a quality schedule you can make it past the 1st round. Although I think Ashland or South Warren will take the choke artist to the wood shed[/QUO

FUNDAMENTALS can you name another team that JC could have gotten to come and play? The answer to that is NO. It is a for sure No with LC.

You may be correct in Ashland or South Warren beating JC but the "choke artist""just a cheap attempt at getting a rise out of people. If you had any understanding of KY High School Football then you would understand that "Highlands" for sure and CC most of the time are difference monsters. Whats LC record against Highlands or CC. O sure it hard to fit them in your schedule with Powell County, Class A Raceland (the way you lost to them) & Class A Fariview.

I have not talked about the"quality of JC schedule other than comparing it to LC. JC needs to add two quality games you got any thoughts on who JC could add on week 0,1&3? Find a team in the area who is willing to play a home and away and post it her. I call them myself to schedule the game.

Being a LC fan I am sure over the past few years by Belfry LC knows what going "wood shed" feel like. Just for your information JC Fans remembers a time JC gotten taken to the "wood shed" by many of the teams Ashland, Belfry, Prestonsburg, and you could name a few more. But one thing you can not say was we would not play them. I think playing JC would help the LC Program and help you when you play Belfry. You do not agree?

:betterthanexpected:
For the record I'm a Belfry fan not LC. I agree with what you're saying. JC did take a hard but rewarding path to get to where they're at. Thanks for clarifying that
dawg fan Wrote:Jc is the largest 4a school according to khsaa LC is middle of the pack 3a school it does not benefit either school to play. As far as the kids are concerned they play who is on the schedule so for what I am assuming are growns up to get on here and say they are scared, or afraid of getting hit, or have no balls is the "punkish" behavior. I watch these kids play every week one thing they are not is scared. The coaches make the schedule that they feel will best prepare their team for the playoffs amoung other things. Its not the coaches on the field doing the hitting, there is not one coach at lc that has a kid on the team, so what do they have to be afraid of. posters like eagle84 really makes you wonder who the kids are and who the grown-ups are?

If that's the case why does middle of the pack 3a lc play small 1A Raceland and Fairview ? Does either of those games bennifit either team ? I think so win or loose lc / Raceland game benefits both teams so your augment is just silly. On the other hand JC is just being arrogant by saying kids are scared to play them heck Raceland and JC was trying to work out a deal to play this year and next but couldn't get their schedules to match
Jc has a very good football team, no one is debating that, Lawrence County has been rebuilding, when this group of seniors were freshman there was 37 players on the team. Now they have about 65 they are getting better as a program, but they are not there yet. A good schedule for any team, regardless of class is to play teams that if both teams play their best it will be a pretty even game that either team could win. Of course you can't help who is in your district. Lc improve their schedule this year replacing east carter, rowan county, and brethitt county, with powell county who will win their district, montgomery county who you have to agree is better than any of those three, and greenup county who is also better than any of those three.

Now can you honestly jc has scheduled anybody out side of their district that if both teams play to their full potential that jc would not beat by 30! Strength of schedule is relative to where your school is at a program. If a school goes 0 and 10 and gets beat by 30 a game, it will not take long for their numbers to decline and fans to leave.

There is doubt that if both teams played to their full potential jc would probably beat lc by 30 so my question is why is jc so obsessed with getting lc on their schedule.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:All anybody has to do is look at JC's scores against teams like East Carter and Boyd County this season to know that your idiotic statement about Matney beating teams like Phelps as bad as possible is just that...idiotic. Matney substitutes early and often against out-manned teams - the only exceptions being coaches who have run up the score on his teams. JC could have beaten East Carter by 100 points this season but instead, beat them by about the same margin that Cabell Midland beat Belfry the same weekend.

The 2010 Johnson Central team could have beaten Belfry worse that 42-7 if Matney had not called off the dogs. Belfry beat East Ridge 52-0 the week before losing to JC. Did Haywood run up the score against them? Central pounded the Pirates 46-7 in the state finals that same season. Did Scroggins run up the score?

If Belfry continues to put the ball on the ground 7 times a game, Matney will have to get creative to hold down the score this season too, but I expect that the Pirates will play much better in the final regular season than they have been recently.

If this Belfry team is as weak as the 2010 team was, then the Oct. 30 game will be a short one with a running clock. If that happens, it won't be Matney's fault. But it is a little early to be making excuses for that game, isn't it Fundamentals?
It's entertaining to watch you JC fans get your feathers ruffled. You're in for a surprise if you think this JC team is anywhere near the caliber they were that year. You know just as well as anyone else on this website JC will do all they can just to set a field goal record or maybe rush for as much as possible. I'm not making excuses because I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. You're a hoot, Hoot. Enjoy your Sunday and keep sipping that Paintsville water
It's the out of date milk they drink in Johnson County
kdrn Wrote:It's the out of date milk they drink in Johnson County

out of date milk (buttermilk) is good with twinkies.
pjdoug Wrote:out of date milk (buttermilk) is good with twinkies.

Ah, one of life's simple pleasures!!
I don't think people were expecting Lawrence County to come out ready to play like they did. Yes they lost, but those boys played their hearts out. Imo the referees made some crappy calls, however it's always like that when you go up there to play. With that being said, I'm proud of our boys & I believe that we will meet again.
#1 Fan =) Wrote:I don't think people were expecting Lawrence County to come out ready to play like they did. Yes they lost, but those boys played their hearts out. Imo the referees made some crappy calls, however it's always like that when you go up there to play. With that being said, I'm proud of our boys & I believe that we will meet again.

May or may not be true about calls. I saw some bad ones. But excuses like that diminish the effort both teams put out. Both teams played hard and if they do meet again good luck to the Dawgs. They normally do not fare real well in rematches.
#1 Fan =) Wrote:I don't think people were expecting Lawrence County to come out ready to play like they did. Yes they lost, but those boys played their hearts out. Imo the referees made some crappy calls, however it's always like that when you go up there to play. With that being said, I'm proud of our boys & I believe that we will meet again.

BTW, LC played OK. They did not play great by any stretch. If they would have played real good, they would have won by at least a couple TDs. This was actually one of the poorest played HS games I have watched in a long time. Great effort was there, but lack of execution and missed opportunities was the theme for both teams IMO. Maybe it was because each team was making the other look bad, but it was not a very pretty display of HS football.
Oh the X's and O's. 5, 10, or 20 years from now belfry won and Lawrence lost. A win is a win no matter the final score
anyone heard if the running backs and qb is still carrying footballs so they know how to hold on to them,lol