Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner
Eagle84 Wrote:LC baseball players under Coach Feltner are fundamentally sound, play hard and believe they can win. The only two knocks I have are the arm injuries and the bush league play of his players. The injuries my just be a random issues but the bush league needs to be cleared up.

95% of all arm injuries associated with baseball are a direct result of improper weight lifting. That is why bands and tubing have become so popular now. There was a game back in the mid-70's where Nolan Ryan went 13 innings throwing 235 pitches. His opponent, Louis Tiant, ended up throwing 15 innings. So you have two guys throwing over 400 pitches in the same game. Nolan Ryan gave a recent interview where he said in his entire career he never lifted a single weight. Baseball went wrong in the mid-80's when they decided baseball players needed to look like football players and the result has been injury after injury. Throwing a baseball is an unnatural movement for the body to make. When you increase heavy weight on top of that you are playing roulette with your throwing arm. That is why resistance is the only viable option when strengthening your arm.
baseball1974 Wrote:95% of all arm injuries associated with baseball are a direct result of improper weight lifting. That is why bands and tubing have become so popular now. There was a game back in the mid-70's where Nolan Ryan went 13 innings throwing 235 pitches. His opponent, Louis Tiant, ended up throwing 15 innings. So you have two guys throwing over 400 pitches in the same game. Nolan Ryan gave a recent interview where he said in his entire career he never lifted a single weight. Baseball went wrong in the mid-80's when they decided baseball players needed to look like football players and the result has been injury after injury. Throwing a baseball is an unnatural movement for the body to make. When you increase heavy weight on top of that you are playing roulette with your throwing arm. That is why resistance is the only viable option when strengthening your arm.

I'm not disagreeing with your analysis. But help me out here. What do you do with two-sport athletes who play baseball. For example, does a baseball player who plays football not lift weights? I guess what I'm asking or saying is that the "improper" weight training for baseball may be accurate, but in high school you are not going to get that at schools that need their athletes to play multiple sports.

Personally, I think it's just been freak injuries. It's happening nation wide. Back in the day, when we all played, it was diagnosed as a "sore arm" and we either learned to throw with the pain or took some weeks off and then pitched with pain.
WildDawg Wrote:What's bush league?

I have no clue what or why this keeps being brought up about LC players. Seems as if a few recent players have some emotion problems, and other teams doesn't like it. Plus, when there is a "hard slide" people go nuts. Back 30-40 years ago, when some of us on here played, it was the norm to go hard all the time and push the limits. Today, it's frowned upon I guess. Better to just get out of the way of a Double Play instead of sliding in to the SS.

I've been to a dozen or so games the past 3-4 years, and I've not seen anything that would be considered "bush league" from LC. Or at least not anything that the other teams were doing as well.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:I'm not disagreeing with your analysis. But help me out here. What do you do with two-sport athletes who play baseball. For example, does a baseball player who plays football not lift weights? I guess what I'm asking or saying is that the "improper" weight training for baseball may be accurate, but in high school you are not going to get that at schools that need their athletes to play multiple sports.

Personally, I think it's just been freak injuries. It's happening nation wide. Back in the day, when we all played, it was diagnosed as a "sore arm" and we either learned to throw with the pain or took some weeks off and then pitched with pain.

Two sport athletes that lift with other sports have to be proactive if they have any drive to play baseball past high school. They can still do certain lifts and most football coaches that have baseball players know this. It's not something new. Certain places are behind on catching up to science and that is why you'll see multiple injuries at the same school. Lifting your lower half, your core muscles, etc. are not going to hurt the arm. On days they do upper body lifts they can substitute resistance training. There are a few upper body workouts that are still okay to do, but if coaches are going to lift they have to do research and be open-minded to the idea that the way they've been doing things might be wrong. If not, then continue to watch players go down every year.
I can say that the two games LC played against JC this year I saw no "Bush League" behavior. But in the past that was not the case. They are many example I could give you but I just pick a few below. At JC last year you had a player banging a bat and screaming out as the JC pitcher is pitching. In the Paintsville game the same player was yelling at the Paintsville Fans and LC just got put on probation by KHSAA for poor behavior. I would like to think a great coach would stop these acts.
LC's zack keesee was thought to need tommy john surgery after getting a mri and seeing the sports medicine people at Marshall. His parents took him to Cincinnati to the dr. For the reds. After a complete exam it was determined that it was an old injury and that the mri was showing scar tissue in his elbow. They fitted him with a brace, told him no pitching, limited throwing, and put him on band exercise that he does everyday during weight lefting. Feltnet also move him from ss to 2nd base, he has been doing this about 3 or 4 weeks now, and I talked to yesterday and he said he has no pain at all in his arm now and that he goes back to Cincinnati on the 8th for a follow-up.
Eagle84 Wrote:I can say that the two games LC played against JC this year I saw no "Bush League" behavior. But in the past that was not the case. They are many example I could give you but I just pick a few below. At JC last year you had a player banging a bat and screaming out as the JC pitcher is pitching. In the Paintsville game the same player was yelling at the Paintsville Fans and LC just got put on probation by KHSAA for poor behavior. I would like to think a great coach would stop these acts.

Lc got put on probation because every player on the team left the dugout to go to the aid and to protect their teammate, I don't consider that bad behavior, I would say that is admirable.
But leaving the dugout is a violation of KHSAA rules. So we accept the probation, and go on.
I do not want this to go negative in my previous post I said "LC baseball players under Coach Feltner are fundamentally sound, play hard and believe they can win." that takes a good coach to make happen.

You keep telling your self that and overtime you may start to believe it. I think you need to go back and re-read the posts on the incidents. I seem to think they was several incidents other then leaving the bench over a two days.
Eagle84 Wrote:I do not want this to go negative in my previous post I said "LC baseball players under Coach Feltner are fundamentally sound, play hard and believe they can win." that takes a good coach to make happen.

You keep telling your self that and overtime you may start to believe it. I think you need to go back and re-read the posts on the incidents. I seem to think they was several incidents other then leaving the bench over a two days.

Why do you guys keep throwing up those two games against PCC? As if JC has never had incidents in the past or that their players never "jaw" back and forth with opponents and rivals. It happens everywhere, with every team. What made this incident different? The punch....which was not by an LC player. End of discussion in my opinion.

The probation comes from what the previous poster said. It's mandatory to stay at your position in the field or the dugout during an incident like that. But, to be honest, no way in **** I would stay and I don't blame any of the players for their actions that night.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Why do you guys keep throwing up those two games against PCC? As if JC has never had incidents in the past or that their players never "jaw" back and forth with opponents and rivals. It happens everywhere, with every team. What made this incident different? The punch....which was not by an LC player. End of discussion in my opinion.

The probation comes from what the previous poster said. It's mandatory to stay at your position in the field or the dugout during an incident like that. But, to be honest, no way in **** I would stay and I don't blame any of the players for their actions that night.

I do not want to call out any individuals but LC over the past 3 years have show poor "sportsmanship" many times. Like I said above I want tot Keep this positive and think Coach Faltner is a good coach and man. I just think he either support the bush-league play or allows it to continue. Either way that is a problem.
dawg fan Wrote:So you are fine with the actions of the pike county central coach but not feltner. And if getting hit by pitch then stealing 2nd base is a reason to get attacked then I would agree with you lc was just as much at fault. If not then you are going on pure hearsay from people that were not even at the game. You need to do your research and not listen to the nuts on here. Hope you get to come to see us play next week then you tell me how much trash talking, or bush league stuff you see from our players, maybe then you can make an informed decision for yourself.

Fact he got hit, but on his arm guard! You crack me up, be honest now.

Fact, He stole second and cleated th PC player.

Fact he ran his mouth between every pitch until the attack!

I was there no here say! Could you all stop the innocent victim BS?
Commanche Wrote:Fact he got hit, but on his arm guard! You crack me up, be honest now.

Fact, He stole second and cleated th PC player.

Fact he ran his mouth between every pitch until the attack!

I was there no here say! Could you all stop the innocent victim BS?

Perhaps you should get an award, or a government job, for the greatest HEARING of all time!!!!! :biglmao: I mean I've been to 100s of games, and can barely hear the chatter from the dugouts. You heard chatter while you were sitting behind home plate from all the way out at 1B and 2B. That's well over 130 feet and almost 200 feet. Amazing you heard it all! Confusednicker: Not to mention with the press box noise and music going on during all this. Amazing. You should seriously look in to working for the government, perhaps the NSA is looking for people like you?
I didn't say I heard the trash talk moron, it was blatantly obvious. Who said I was behind home plate? Also the Homeplate ump ask the other one just before the incident if there was a problem?

And you might want to apply with Obama because you are a genius.

Keep denying it cause you know I am right.

Btw are you and Dawgfan having an affair? You too crack me up! Lying and denying!
dawg fan Wrote:LC's zack keesee was thought to need tommy john surgery after getting a mri and seeing the sports medicine people at Marshall. His parents took him to Cincinnati to the dr. For the reds. After a complete exam it was determined that it was an old injury and that the mri was showing scar tissue in his elbow. They fitted him with a brace, told him no pitching, limited throwing, and put him on band exercise that he does everyday during weight lefting. Feltnet also move him from ss to 2nd base, he has been doing this about 3 or 4 weeks now, and I talked to yesterday and he said he has no pain at all in his arm now and that he goes back to Cincinnati on the 8th for a follow-up.

That's good news for him definetely. Did they tell him how long until he could pitch? Those resistance bands will help strengthen the area without adding any unneeded weight. If he fully commits to those bands and makes sure he does them correctly, then he'll be able to prevent any further damage. I know several doctors will suggest going ahead with the surgery because it's most likely inevitable. However, I really think it's possible with the right rehab to get back to 100%. I wish him the best and I hope his rehab goes well.
Give it up Alum, Commanche still can't get over all the beat downs the dawgs put on pikeville over the years
FACT
Commanche Wrote:I didn't say I heard the trash talk moron, it was blatantly obvious. Who said I was behind home plate? Also the Homeplate ump ask the other one just before the incident if there was a problem?

And you might want to apply with Obama because you are a genius.

Keep denying it cause you know I am right.

Btw are you and Dawgfan having an affair? You too crack me up! Lying and denying!

Well. I guess the bolded part of your reply shows how childish you are. Amazing how you are dogging KIDS for trash talking....and what is it you are doing?????? And what should be your consequences....since you are big on that. :eyeroll:

You don't know me. I know you though. Confusednicker: Where else were you going to sit at PCC field? Can't down the RF line. Can't down LF line. Bleachers and behind home plate is all that is left. Unless you were in LF by the soccer field, then you would definitely have super duper listening powers. Perhaps you are a superhero?
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Well. I guess the bolded part of your reply shows how childish you are. Amazing how you are dogging KIDS for trash talking....and what is it you are doing?????? And what should be your consequences....since you are big on that. :eyeroll:

You don't know me. I know you though. Confusednicker: Where else were you going to sit at PCC field? Can't down the RF line. Can't down LF line. Bleachers and behind home plate is all that is left. Unless you were in LF by the soccer field, then you would definitely have super duper listening powers. Perhaps you are a superhero?

If you knew me you would know exactly where I was standing. Cant tell you that or it would give you my identity. Closer to the action than you think.

But again if you would read slowly and understand what you read then you would have picked up that I did NOT say I heard it, but it was obvious to any one paying attention.

You didnt answer my question just wondering.
Glad to see an old lotts creek boy doing big things I hope he wins it all. Most people may not know all of Travis family are cordia alums. His dad was an awesome basketball player for cordia in the 60's. Travis went to grade school there before going to hazard. I wish him all the best.
Commanche Wrote:If you knew me you would know exactly where I was standing. Cant tell you that or it would give you my identity. Closer to the action than you think.

But again if you would read slowly and understand what you read then you would have picked up that I did NOT say I heard it, but it was obvious to any one paying attention.

Looks like you must have been right? Haha!
Commanche Wrote:If you knew me you would know exactly where I was standing. Cant tell you that or it would give you my identity. Closer to the action than you think.

baseball1974 Wrote:Looks like you must have been right? Haha!

To be honest, it's actually to a point where it's sad how obvious it is. Insecurity pushes people to do crazy things though.
baseball1974 Wrote:To be honest, it's actually to a point where it's sad how obvious it is. Insecurity pushes people to do crazy things though.

If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous. Glad you aren't a detective investigating crimes. Would be a LOT of criminals out there running free. Confusednicker:

You have a PM. Check it.
What cracks me up is how the original poster made a thread about a good coache's accomplishments and by the 2nd or 3rd post it went negative. We have way to many immature posters on BGR who like to talk about maturity as if they have any. Talk is cheap! If you have that much of a problem with the man then grow a pair and go tell him to his face. Last I checked no one has came to the man and said to his face that he was immature or a poor example to his kids and I doubt any of you keyboard warriors have the spine to do it either. I would love to see it though. I have done my fair share of discussion about a coach here or there but I never get personal about it and I would never try to judge the caricature of a man I don't even know very well or at all. Now if all of you wanna be, has been or never was coaches and players can get of your imaginary high horse and just let it go already and find something else to talk about. Heck baseball season is over come on over to the football thread and tell me how Lawrence County football players are all punks and have no discipline because I miss all of you so much from last year and I have fun with it. I'm a big boy and I can take it lol!:popcorn:
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous. Glad you aren't a detective investigating crimes. Would be a LOT of criminals out there running free. Confusednicker:

You have a PM. Check it.

I completely agree. That's why I've always kept smart people around me. My wife has explained to me many times over the past 40 years just how little brain activity I have. You two would definetely get along.
Hey 1974 you got to see the dawgs at the state tounry besides not playing well did you see any lc player talking trash, or any bush leauge actions out of any lc player toward any greenup player or coach?
dawg fan Wrote:Hey 1974 you got to see the dawgs at the state tounry besides not playing well did you see any lc player talking trash, or any bush leauge actions out of any lc player toward any greenup player or coach?

Don't feed him.....:Thumbs:
dawg fan Wrote:Hey 1974 you got to see the dawgs at the state tounry besides not playing well did you see any lc player talking trash, or any bush leauge actions out of any lc player toward any greenup player or coach?

I wasn't close enough to be able to say about "the talking," but I can say that I was absolutely wrong about their talent level. They looked to have some talented kids, and a couple had very good baseball instincts. It was clear to me watching that game that their ability/talent was not portrayed accurately that day. I could tell their talent level had the potential to be much better. Greenup was the better team and they are in a place talent-wise where they could possibly win a state title in the next couple of years. They are pretty stacked at the moment. However, LC was definitely much better than what I originally said during the season, and to answer your question, no I did not see anything from where I was at that would constitute a "Bush League" label.
And they return 7 startes next year.
Say all you want but travis is a great coach and he has proved it this year. I thought Paintsville and JC were the only 2 teams that could win the 15th but Lawrence did and that says a lot about their coach
3sportfan Wrote:Say all you want but travis is a great coach and he has proved it this year. I thought Paintsville and JC were the only 2 teams that could win the 15th but Lawrence did and that says a lot about their coach

Or vice versa.