Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer joining the ranks of looking for a new coach?
WinkWinkler Wrote:I am confused about people trying to diminish a state championship in another state. They call a state champion in Kentucky a state champion. Do you know what they call them in West Virginia? Answer: a state champion. It takes just as much work no matter what your situation.

How many teams were in his class? And how many classes in WVa?
HD28 Wrote:How many teams were in his class? And how many classes in WVa?

I agree its just not the same as KENTUCKY.
Yes, I believe the Class A or AA champ in WV would have a very tough time at the Ky Sweet 16.
[quote=Luther Rackley]Yes, I believe the Class A or AA champ in WV would have a very tough time at the Ky Sweet 16.

Huntington High won the 3A title the last 2 years in West Virginia. If they was in the 11th, 6th or 7th region they might not make it out of the district. Its not even close to the same.:please:
Hearing Frankie Smith and Jeremy Howell are leading candidates.
Fred Sanford Wrote:Hearing Frankie Smith and Jeremy Howell are leading candidates.

Who is Jeremy Howell? What are his qualifications?
Truth Wrote:I understand that Smith coaches at Shelden Clark. What accomplishments make him a candidate for the Ashland job? Ashland is one of the twenty or so high profile high school basketball jobs in the Commonwealth. Why should we believe he can handle it?

Ashland better not jump the gun on hiring coach. If they wait a couple of weeks, Coach Cal, Coach K, Izzo, Pitino or some other high profile coach may apply for this opportunity of a lifetime to coach at Ashland. They may be able to handle pressure of such a high profile job. From what i've heard Billy Gillespie is looking for a fresh start. Come on Guys, it is just a high school coaching job!!! Lets not over react.
What is the timeline for this job?
I am hearing Smith's interest is waning.
Smith will not be the coach at Ashland next year!
So who is left for the Tomcats to hire?
Word is that Donnie Tyndall is applying for the Ashland coaching position
Any truth that ta Martin County Political Figure is putting pressure on super to give Smith a raise?
Smith was a former assistant coach at Miami (Ohio) under head coach Charlie Coles and posted a 125-35 (.781) career record during his six-year stint as the head coach at Tug Valley. He guided the 1998-99 Panthers to the Class AA state championship, which was the schools first state crown. Also former HEAD coach at Division II Saginaw Valley State University (Mich.), was named as the 2009-10 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Coach of the Year.
Sheldon Clark head basketball coach Frankie Smith was named as the 15th Region Coach of the Year 2014 by the Kentucky Association of Basketball Coaches and
57th District Coach of the Year in Kentucky 2015....hummmm not too shabby for a nobody
From my understanding The Real Truth is Right. From what I heard the county judge is telling the super to give Smith a raise. Also sounds like Smith is using Ashland to get a raise in Martin County
Well from my understanding, the plans for the school do not even include a gym but rather a large auditorium with stage...even if they do decide to add a gym it won't be much larger than the one they are in now....the board there is so unpredictable and continue to cut pay for everyone there, other than themselves and the boards office .....imagine that? So why would a coach want to stay somewhere that it is clear that the basketball program doesn't matter???
Welcome Wrote:[quote=Luther Rackley]Yes, I believe the Class A or AA champ in WV would have a very tough time at the Ky Sweet 16.

Huntington High won the 3A title the last 2 years in West Virginia. If they was in the 11th, 6th or 7th region they might not make it out of the district. Its not even close to the same.:please:
EXAMPLE::heard George Washington,Hi. in Charleston, beat Knott Co, pretty easily. They didn't make State Tourney.
Dawgfan123 Wrote:[quote=Welcome]
EXAMPLE::heard George Washington,Hi. in Charleston, beat Knott Co, pretty easily. They didn't make State Tourney.

If you were referring to this past season then no it wasn't Knott that George Washington beat, it was Perry Central and GW won 57-51...
oliver67 Wrote:Well from my understanding, the plans for the school do not even include a gym but rather a large auditorium with stage...even if they do decide to add a gym it won't be much larger than the one they are in now....the board there is so unpredictable and continue to cut pay for everyone there, other than themselves and the boards office .....imagine that? So why would a coach want to stay somewhere that it is clear that the basketball program doesn't matter???

The board is trying to get rid of the football program and replace it with boys' soccer. Martin County has always been a boys' basketball county..always will. No one truly knows what is going to happen to the proposed school because they keep everything so hush hush. That's even if it is every really built.
I don't know where you folks are getting your info but it's untrue. Last week's discussion included the possibility of a second auxiliary gym along with a competition gym... Stop with the rumors. If coach smith leaves it will be because of his talent, not lack of support from anyone.
So, do we know a list of applicants? Who has been contacted? Rumor has it that a former Lawrence Co coach is interested.
Yustacould Wrote:So, do we know a list of applicants? Who has been contacted? Rumor has it that a former Lawrence Co coach is interested.

And current Boyd Co?
Welcome Wrote:And current Boyd Co?

No… I probably shouldn't have said anything to begin with. I just hope that they get the right person for the job. It is such a storied program, they, along with everyone else, needs the best fit for that school.
Yustacould Wrote:No… I probably shouldn't have said anything to begin with. I just hope that they get the right person for the job. It is such a storied program, they, along with everyone else, needs the best fit for that school.

Of course, the truth depends upon who is telling the story, doesn't it? I don't think too many people are holding their breath waiting on the new coach to be named. My main interest will be to see if they hire another recruiter or do they hire a developer and builder.
Truth Wrote:Of course, the truth depends upon who is telling the story, doesn't it? I don't think too many people are holding their breath waiting on the new coach to be named. My main interest will be to see if they hire another recruiter or do they hire a developer and builder.

There is no such thing as a high school coach who wouldn't recruit if possible.

Ashland needs to interview Ethan Faulkner. Young, eager, personable, and knowledgable. Would be a home run hire in my opinion.
Leaping Lee Wrote:There is no such thing as a high school coach who wouldn't recruit if possible.

Ashland needs to interview Ethan Faulkner. Young, eager, personable, and knowledgable. Would be a home run hire in my opinion.

Both are true.
Frank Smith asked for the farm... and didn't get it. Guess he sticks with the redbirds!
Leaping Lee Wrote:There is no such thing as a high school coach who wouldn't recruit if possible.

Your first sentence is absolutely true. All do it. Some are successful. Some are not. Some get punished. Some are protected. History seems to indicate that Ashland falls into the latter category.

As for Faulkner, I look for Ashland to choose someone with more of a resume. They usually do.
Truth Wrote:Your first sentence is absolutely true. All do it. Some are successful. Some are not. Some get punished. Some are protected. History seems to indicate that Ashland falls into the latter category.

As for Faulkner, I look for Ashland to choose someone with more of a resume. They usually do.

Not this time. It's Jeremy Howell.
HD28 Wrote:Not this time. It's Jeremy Howell.

If that is correct, you are certainly correct. He has no resume whatsoever and, if Biggs had to go, it is strange that one of his assistants would get the job. It could be that no one was really interested because of the lack of talent. Regardless of who coaches, you must have talent to be successful.

Howell would sure be a surprise to many.