Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer joining the ranks of looking for a new coach?
Ashland hired a football coach with no head coaching experience, so did Raceland and both of those were assistants. Russell hired a basketball coach with no head coaching experience. Adkins at Elliott was hired with no head coaching experience. His success wont hinge on his resume. He will have four returning starters and he relates to the kids very well. If he can convince about three kids walking the halls to play next year, Ashland will be better than most people think.
Never heard of him.
Good luck Coach Howell.
washed up Wrote:Ashland hired a football coach with no head coaching experience, so did Raceland and both of those were assistants. Russell hired a basketball coach with no head coaching experience. Adkins at Elliott was hired with no head coaching experience. His success wont hinge on his resume. He will have four returning starters and he relates to the kids very well. If he can convince about three kids walking the halls to play next year, Ashland will be better than most people think.

Your logic is flawed. However, I'll agree that, when you go 5-27 in the weakest region in the Commonwealth, you will most likely improve. When one looks at the recent history of the program, it is easy to conclude that Ashland made a good predictable choice in light of what was available to them.

There remains the fact that they need some talent. With the climate as it is, they won't be able to, as in the past, recruit talent. They will have to find it from within. It will be interesting. I wish for them due diligence.
Just noting that several recent hires by local schools involved those with no head coaching experience. If you are referring to my logic of kids in the halls, only way to see who is right is if they play. Sounds like a job for Mr. Howell.
washed up Wrote:Just noting that several recent hires by local schools involved those with no head coaching experience. If you are referring to my logic of kids in the halls, only way to see who is right is if they play. Sounds like a job for Mr. Howell.

Agreed. But since the Ashland job is purported by its followers to be one of the "premier" jobs in the state, I wouldn't think they would follow the lead of other lesser local schools. One would conclude that they have fallen back with the rest of the pack. Ashland was, indeed, a premier job in the past. However, the demise of Armco and the relocation of Ashland, Inc. has left the school without two industrial sugar daddys who could provide financial assistance as well as jobs for family members of the coach and family members of athletes "relocating" to Ashland.

In any event, Howell comes from a fine family (both of his Howell grandparents taught in the Ashland system for many years) and, thus, I wish for him a degree of success.
good luck to coach howell
Who else had applied for this job, before they went with Howell?
Howell will have talent coming up. Classes of 2018-2021 full of talented kids. Especially class of 2020. I'd put them up against any 7th/8th grade squad in Eastern KY. Ashland will be fine!
TSRAILERS Wrote:Howell will have talent coming up. Classes of 2018-2021 full of talented kids. Especially class of 2020. I'd put them up against any 7th/8th grade squad in Eastern KY. Ashland will be fine!

If he has to wait that long to get any talent, he may not be there to coach them. I've seen a lot of fine elementary and middle school players who reached their athletic peak in elementary and middle school. If Ashland waits on what might develop in three to five years, the outlook isn't very good. Maybe they better send out their scouts to neighboring areas.
TSRAILERS Wrote:Howell will have talent coming up. Classes of 2018-2021 full of talented kids. Especially class of 2020. I'd put them up against any 7th/8th grade squad in Eastern KY. Ashland will be fine!

That 7th team lacks size and will they stay together? Rowan beat the 8th grade team in OVC finals. Granted they are good but a long way to go till they are high school ready.
Fred Sanford Wrote:That 7th team lacks size and will they stay together? Rowan beat the 8th grade team in OVC finals. Granted they are good but a long way to go till they are high school ready.

Actually, Boyd County 8th grade won the OVC by defeating Rowan....Rowan beat Ashland in the semis. And speaking from experience, you CAN NOT look at middle school success and think it will automatically mean the high school program will improve - I've seen it NOT happen too many times, most recently with Boyd County football (great middle school program in 2011 - 2013, but nothing to speak of beyond)
Wildcat1 Wrote:Actually, Boyd County 8th grade won the OVC by defeating Rowan....Rowan beat Ashland in the semis. And speaking from experience, you CAN NOT look at middle school success and think it will automatically mean the high school program will improve - I've seen it NOT happen too many times, most recently with Boyd County football (great middle school program in 2011 - 2013, but nothing to speak of beyond)

But wasn't Baker at Boyd Middle at that time?
Only one season