•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Central Class 3A State Championship
My biggest take away from the Russell game looking ahead to Central is Belfry cannot play like they did last night and think they have a chance to win.

The past two losses to Central were essentially each decided by a missed XP during regulation. Belfry's championship last year came thanks to a made Field Goal. Last night Belfry got Woolum back from injury but he was rendered useless due to 3 horrible snaps on XP tries that led to a missed XP and two plays Belfry couldn't even get the kick off.

This simply cannot happen against Central where every single point will matter for both teams.

The second concerning thing is Belfry continues to negate big plays with penalties well behind the play. Keaton Taylor had a 69 yard TD run called back and the Pirates had two other gains that went for First Downs called back as well. Belfry also had a redzone chance hindered by an untimely false start. While the Taylor penalty still came on a drive ending in a TD, the false start resulted in a drive stalling 1 yard short on 4th Down and the penalty on Belfry's first drive resulted in a punt when Belfry could not overcome the yardage.

As I said in the pre-game penalties will happen, but the crucial penalties must be limited. If Belfry takes points off the board or big plays against Central they lose the game.
Belfry needs to secure the football against Central. Looks as if the last two weeks takeaways has been what Central has used to get back into ball games. They seem to hold up the runner and strip the ball. Belfry cant lay the ball on the turf. Offensive reads must be crisp, and offensive line must come to work. If these two things are executed I see Belfry being to much for Central.

Belfry 35
Central 21
Belfry must play disciplined defense, Central is a big play team. If Belfry can make it a grind it out type of game they will come out with the win. If they fall asleep any at all on defense it could be a track meet. If there is one team out there that knows Belfry biggest achilies is playing from behind it's Central. I look for Coach Scroggins to try and jump on Belfry quick with big plays right out of the gate. etc. Lawrence Co, in there first match up.
Hoping for a Belfry win but Central takes it in the end. They own Belfry
Central 21
Belfry 07

Speed kills, so does tradition...... To be the champs you have to beat the champs.... They have all they need to win, including a lil luck..... Smile
Granny Bear Wrote:Are you kidding me???? You cannot be serious when you say feeder programs have nothing to do with state championships. That is totally asenine!!!

Feeder programs is what MAKES high school programs stronger.

I won't be sadly disappointed dougy......Corbin allowed an explosive Central team to come back on them after leading 26 to 0....26 to 0!!! Belfry is way too disciplined to allow that to happen.

middle school ain't playing next week.high school is and Belfry wont allow Central to do anything.Central will just do what they want and beat Belfry like a rented mule.remember I said so when you witness it in person :biggrin:
[attachment=o3133] Found this pic of pjdoug trolling away like he always does. Hey we'll send you a post card from BG ok? Douchebag.
IronMan86 Wrote:[attachment=o3133] Found this pic of pjdoug trolling away like he always does. Hey we'll send you a post card from BG ok? Douchebag.

no need to send a post card.I'll be there watching your Pirates get hammered worse than they did against the 1A school.:trolldad:
Good, swing by the the Belfry side and tell me again how bad they're gonna get hammered. I might even buy you a hot dog.
IronMan86 Wrote:Good, swing by the the Belfry side and tell me again how bad they're gonna get hammered. I might even buy you a hot dog.

if you're there you'll see it for your self.I dont like hotdogs :biggrin:
I thought Belfry played pretty sub par offensively last night. Especially in the second half. Central may cause a little trouble with their quickness versus our bigger o-line. I find a lot of relief in knowing Austin Hatfield ran for over 100 yards on Francis and Styles two years ago.

No turnovers, limit penalties, and play til the final whistle - that's the best advice I have right now. If you're intimidated or not up to the challenge, turn your shit in.
I remember all the talk that central will do this and they will do that and they will kill belfry 2 and 3 years ago and it didn't happen. Keep on trolling dougie. Belfry may not win but I don't think its gonna be as lop sided as it was the first time these two teams met. I believe it's Belfrys time to get over the Yellowjacket sting.
Just remember Belfry, Corbin and Bell are just as good as Central so I wouldn't lose by to much or you might fall out of the mountain top 10 Confusednicker:
Belfry 20
Central 13
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Just remember Belfry, Corbin and Bell are just as good as Central so I wouldn't lose by to much or you might fall out of the mountain top 10 Confusednicker:
I've seen Corbin, bell, central and Belfry play. From what I've seen Central would be the toughest to beat but Central is very beatable by belfry. Corbin and bell is a non issue cause they are playing basketball. I would be surprised if Belfry don't win another title.
A belfry/corbin game would have been exactly what the corbin/central game was. Fun to watch! Next year the east gets tougher. Bell and corbin come to the east. That doesn't mean anybody will come in and dominate belfry. Nobody with comparable inrollment dominates belfry. Don't forget about the west though. Now central has to go through lex cath and Boyle. Who would both contend for a 4a state title every year were it not for the south Cincinnati allstar team. Yeah corbin lost a 26-0 lead but don't forget that it was 26-16 at halftime. No amount of first quarter points is enought to win a game in the region championship. Corbin did the smart thing. They took away everything deep and made central complete 8-12 passes every drive to win the game. By doing this corbin put the pressure on central to be perfect. Central got a few calls that kept 2 maybe 3 drives alive. I'm not going to sit here and say that corbin got cheated. I will say however that central got some help. Then on the last two plays of the game central made it happen with a little luck. They still deserve to be there. I really like where this corbin team is headed in the future but that's all I'm going to say about us. As for my prediction on the central belfry game. If belfry runs it between the tackles they win. If they try to force the option outside they lose. Central is to fast. That being said, Phillip Haywood has forgotten more about football than I will probably ever know. My prediction is 28-14 belfry on top. Good luck to the pirates from corbin.
pjdoug Wrote:middle school ain't playing next week.high school is and Belfry wont allow Central to do anything.Central will just do what they want and beat Belfry like a rented mule.remember I said so when you witness it in person :biggrin:

Nobody said a thing about the middle school playing....everybody knows who is playing. We were discussing what makes the high school program stronger. I can understand your confusion!!

The only thing I'm going to need to remember is how to cook your crow!!

pjdoug Wrote:if you're there you'll see it for your self.I dont like hotdogs :biggrin:

Well, honey, if you don't want to eat that hotdog, I'll be glad to tell you what you can do with it!
Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Nobody said a thing about the middle school playing....everybody knows who is playing. We were discussing what makes the high school program stronger. I can understand your confusion!!

Well, honey, if you don't want to eat that hotdog, I'll be glad to tell you what you can do with it!
Confusednicker:
Confusednicker:
Belfry by 7
pjdoug Wrote:.I dont like hotdogs :biggrin:

That surprises me cause I was sure you'd take wiener.
Granny Bear Wrote:Nobody said a thing about the middle school playing....everybody knows who is playing. We were discussing what makes the high school program stronger. I can understand your confusion!!

Confusednicker:

if everybody knows middle school ain't playing why is everybody saying Belfry Middle School can beat Corbin Middle School?:eyeroll:

Confusednicker:

my team ain't playing in Bowling Green, and yours ain't either. did you forget already?
007Pirate Wrote:That surprises me cause I was sure you'd take wiener.

:lame:
pjdoug Wrote:if everybody knows middle school ain't playing why is everybody saying Belfry Middle School can beat Corbin Middle School?:eyeroll:

They are talking about "feeder programs"....I typed that slow so you could keep up! The "feeder programs" make the high schools a better team..... See dougy..it ain't hard!!
Smile

pjdoug Wrote:my team ain't playing in Bowling Green, and yours ain't either. did you forget already?

No, I didn't forget it. I love all mountain teams. When my team is beaten out, I try to support who is left. I don't go on a bitch fest because I'm jealous!!!! I've never been to BG, and can't wait to go next weekend. There are 3 teams that I have special interest in, and I plan to thogoughly enjoy watching them play.
Belfry 28
Central 24
Granny Bear Wrote:They are talking about "feeder programs"....I typed that slow so you could keep up! The "feeder programs" make the high schools a better team..... See dougy..it ain't hard!!
Smile

No, I didn't forget it. I love all mountain teams. When my team is beaten out, I try to support who is left. I don't go on a bitch fest because I'm jealous!!!! I've never been to BG, and can't wait to go next weekend. There are 3 teams that I have special interest in, and I plan to thogoughly enjoy watching them play.
:Clap:
Does it matter? Pikeville whipped Belfry and are better than anybody in 3A. Mayfield would beat either team by 42.
E's Army Wrote:Does it matter? Pikeville whipped Belfry and are better than anybody in 3A. Mayfield would beat either team by 42.

Really? Maybe the most partial, non thought out BGR post ever. Belfry could hang and beat Mayfield a good share of the time. Maybe not all the time, but the Pirates would show up and wear down the birds.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:A belfry/corbin game would have been exactly what the corbin/central game was. Fun to watch! Next year the east gets tougher. Bell and corbin come to the east. That doesn't mean anybody will come in and dominate belfry. Nobody with comparable inrollment dominates belfry. Don't forget about the west though. Now central has to go through lex cath and Boyle. Who would both contend for a 4a state title every year were it not for the south Cincinnati allstar team. Yeah corbin lost a 26-0 lead but don't forget that it was 26-16 at halftime. No amount of first quarter points is enought to win a game in the region championship. Corbin did the smart thing. They took away everything deep and made central complete 8-12 passes every drive to win the game. By doing this corbin put the pressure on central to be perfect. Central got a few calls that kept 2 maybe 3 drives alive. I'm not going to sit here and say that corbin got cheated. I will say however that central got some help. Then on the last two plays of the game central made it happen with a little luck. They still deserve to be there. I really like where this corbin team is headed in the future but that's all I'm going to say about us. As for my prediction on the central belfry game. If belfry runs it between the tackles they win. If they try to force the option outside they lose. Central is to fast. That being said, Phillip Haywood has forgotten more about football than I will probably ever know. My prediction is 28-14 belfry on top. Good luck to the pirates from corbin.

Bell/ Corbin and Belfry/Russell potential winners would only meet in the semis. Bell/Corbin has the easiest cakewalk to a regional championship in the state. Easier than Belfry's has been by far.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next