Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardest Hitters you have ever saw in Kentucky High School Football
Breathitt - John Rader, Randy Clemons
Perry - Matt Robinson
Bell - John Dudley
Hobie Hayes from Leslie County. Brought it every time.
MommaDust Wrote:Dennis Lafferty .....Prestonsburg....1997
I heard they called him pillow hands, and I think we know that Earnest "Jughead" Campbell was the hardest hitter
A great linebacker and even better guy from the 1982-83 Cumberland Redskins, Eural Allen, is deserving of recognition in this category, and more importantly prayers for his health.
nedreader Wrote:Sammy Harp-Clay Co.(early to mid 80s)

Pound for pound, absolutely hardest hitter ever at Clay County. Another would be Billy "Boom Boom" Robinson.
Top 5 hardest hitters that I have seen in southcentral KY would be:
#5 Steven Baker from Pulaski county
#4 Jason Woodcock from Southwestern
#3 Tony Peters from Somerset
#2 Toby Durham from Somerset
#1 Doug Eads from Casey county

#2 - #5 would make you see stars when they hit you, but Doug would make you see darkness.
Franklin County Kaelin Ammons known more for his offensive play, kid knocked 5 kids out senior year from safety, would light you up.

They had some defensive lineman here in the 2005-2007 that were pretty good too, Barnett, smither, newland used to leave other lineman with concussions about every game.
mysonis55 Wrote:Jonathan Jackson. Rarely do you see a kid hit someone so hard the pierce their own liver.

Not sure when you started following the Cardinals 55 and as an overall player JJ is up there. Without a doubt the hardest hitter i have ever seen at Mayfield was Chris Barnes. Picture JJ with 2 or 3 more inches of height and 30 more pounds. Saw him hit the qb from LO who was a college prospect so hard i think time stopped
MCDADDY Wrote:I've been watching high school football for 30 years. There are 4 people that come to mind that every time they hit you they tried to hurt you.

Grayson Smith-Magoffin County

Seth Hyden-Preatonsburg

Fred Dean-Lawrence County

John Rader-Breathitt County

These four guys changed the game in the 90's. Coaches literally had to gameplan for the safety of some of their players.

It's a shame a shoulder injury ended his career his sophomore year at EKU. He was getting to play a lot.
How about the Leffew brothers from Boyle County? I believe Travis played linebacker. I saw him the state championship game, and he could hit. He later played at U of L and Boyle County won the title Travis' sophomore through senior years (1999-2001) as well as Bobby's senior year (1999). Bobby also played for U of L. In all, Boyle won five straight titles--2 in AA in 99 and 00 and 3 in AAA 01-03, an amazing run.
Eric Brown from letcher central. 5'7 160 pounds can hit with anyone in the state. He has been compared to Ray Lewis.
I would rank JJ in the top 10 of hardest hitters in Mayfield history, but not before Chris Barnes, Tony Brown Dwight Lovelace,Harry Lynn,or Jay Burgett etc.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Top 5 hardest hitters that I have seen in southcentral KY would be:
#5 Steven Baker from Pulaski county
#4 Jason Woodcock from Southwestern
#3 Tony Peters from Somerset
#2 Toby Durham from Somerset
#1 Doug Eads from Casey county

#2 - #5 would make you see stars when they hit you, but Doug would make you see darkness.
Eads would punch you in the mouth, then ask you what your blood tastes like, then write about it! HAHAHA
Bubba Perkins from Somerset is the hardest hitter I ever saw at the high school level. He was a middle linebacker/offensive guard on those great Somerset teams from 81-84. I had the misfortune of having to line up in front of him in several drills and on the scout team when I was a freshman. He broke 2 scout team players arms when pulling and hitting them on traps--and he probably hit harder on defense. They finally just started giving us bell dummies to use when we lined up against him.
Tyler Jones at Russell could deliver a really good sticking.
MCDADDY Wrote:I've been watching high school football for 30 years. There are 4 people that come to mind that every time they hit you they tried to hurt you.

Grayson Smith-Magoffin County

Seth Hyden-Preatonsburg

Fred Dean-Lawrence County

John Rader-Breathitt County

These four guys changed the game in the 90's. Coaches literally had to gameplan for the safety of some of their players.

I was flipping through all the pages and threads waiting for someone to post about Fred Dean from Lawrence County. Fred Dean use to literally destroy people. Does anyone remember the hit he put on the QB from Greenup County?
FCSPY Wrote:Franklin County Kaelin Ammons known more for his offensive play, kid knocked 5 kids out senior year from safety, would light you up.

They had some defensive lineman here in the 2005-2007 that were pretty good too, Barnett, smither, newland used to leave other lineman with concussions about every game.

The biggest reason defensive linemen can't head slap any more... Confusedhh:
Kinte Bess Danville '91 thru '94 hitman personified from the secondary
RoShamBo Wrote:Andrew Hopewell- Danville. Hatz, I need your help on that one to make sure I got the name right and if you could also confirm that he was the same guy that used to bring the wood on Kentucky's kickoff/punt team in the early 2000s it would be appreciated.

I'll need help from a Harlan fan but the Green Dragons had a kid who was a senior in 2004 who would just destroy people. Anderson was his last name, I think.

I think that's who you are thinking about. His dad played for Curci.

For Danville, Ronnie Chenault, safety on the '84 State title team. So many big hits. Had College talent but threw it all away..
Stardust Wrote:Considering that Mike Mitchell of the Steelers is considered the hardest hitting safety in the NFL, and he started blowing up the competition at the little school at Ft.Thomas Highlands,I guess he is the hardest hitting that most anyone here should have seen.

He blew up people for Cov Cath first. :Thumbs:
Barteau10 Wrote:How about the Leffew brothers from Boyle County? I believe Travis played linebacker. I saw him the state championship game, and he could hit. He later played at U of L and Boyle County won the title Travis' sophomore through senior years (1999-2001) as well as Bobby's senior year (1999). Bobby also played for U of L. In all, Boyle won five straight titles--2 in AA in 99 and 00 and 3 in AAA 01-03, an amazing run.

Bobby was a LB at Boyle. Controlled sideline to sideline. He brought the wood. Travis was D Line. Bobby played on the 99 team while Travis graduated the next year n played on the 00 squad.

Michael Paul Webb could hit and so could Matt Quinn.

From much earlier days: Kyle and Kevin Lorton. Mike Edminston. They were some of the hardest hitters I saw from the 70 s teams.