Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best game
birdman44 Wrote:I hated it but...

The MUD BOWL should be No. 2 behind the Male (Bush) vs T (Brohm) shootout state championship.

1997 Cov Cath upset Highlands @ Highlands in 3A 3rd round playoffs
The two teams could have been the best two in the state, at least both were top 5.

Highlands up 21 to 0 or 7 at halftime.... then a storm blew in.
Heaviest rain ive ever seen for a high school game. Cov Cath comes back to tie the game late in the fourth.

Jeremy Madden runs in the winning score in double overtime. I think the final was like 48-42 or something?
Cov Cath went on to easily win state.

It is definitely the most legendary game in NKY HS football history.

41-35 in 2 OT's. For the record, Cov Cath beat Hopkinsville in the state title game 21-13. Not sure that was an easy win but it was a win. :Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:Seriously ?!?...you credit Johnson Central's rise to a single Ashland game-winning field goal ??

:please:

I believe I'm more apt to credit Jim Matney for Central dominating its district over the past years. Heck, I'd be more inclined to credit Central's rise to getting fed up with its poor history against the Paintsville Tigers (if forced to credit another school for Johnson Central's improvement).

:Thumbs:
actually it was missed Johnson central field goal to tie the game on the final play if I remember it right Ashland led 13-3 with about 5 minutes left and had held blume to about 30 yards rushing. Then the last five minutes he had two big runs one a long td and the other to set up the field goal attempt. And this I can speak on personal facts before the game coach matney had sent the officials into the Ashland locker room saying Ashland was using illegal spikes on the cleats. Also the amount of rain had ruined the field and the rumor was started the AFD watered down the field all week. The hype before the game and intensity of it as well the belief that Ashland somehow cheated created a determination and anger that I saw in the jc players and coaches years later. So yes I do believe that game played a huge role.
I think if not for Matney JC would still be stuck in the 2002 or 2003 days.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think if not for Matney JC would still be stuck in the 2002 or 2003 days.

2001: 2-8
2002: 2-8
2003: 1-9

The community had lost interest.
The students stopped coming to games.
Our team only had around 30-35 players.
And I remember being a sophomore during the 2000 season when we went 11-1. Then going from the best season in school history to 2 straight 2-8 seasons was the worst.

The talent has been in the JC system for along time. Getting coach Matney brought out the interest of new players and the community again. And the kids who would have transferred or not played football or other sports stayed active in the JC athletic programs.

It's a sad time when you are in PE class playing pickup football games and you wanted to be on the non-football players team because you knew you had a better shot at winning.

Those three seasons ('01, '02, '03) serves as a reminder of where we come from & where we never want to be again.

WOW... that is two excellent posts by RIUTG. I think we need to contact QQ or Stardust, it appears that RIUTG has been hacked.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Scores for the JC vs. Ashland series since "The Field Goal" game in 2005.

2006: 35-7 JC (Regular Season)
2006: 28-21 JC (Playoffs)
2007: 67-33 JC
2008: 41-6 JC
2009: 29-28 JC
2010: 42-26 JC
2011: 6-22 Ashland
2012: 22-21 JC (Overtime)
2013: 42-7 JC

That's a 8-1 record since that game. The players JC have now were in elementary school when that game happened. You don't think they didn't hear their big brothers, cousins and neighbors talk about how bad they hate Ashland because of that "Wide Right" kick. Growing up watching Ron Blume, Sean Music, Shawn Grim, Tommy Taylor, Michael Tackett and the other players JC had that season.... then to see those players reaction after that kick was ruled no good. That stuck in their heads. You know they hear the players that have come and gone talk about that.... "don't let your season come down to a field goal"

Gotta love it..... Home-Grown motivation!!!!!

You would know better than me...

But for someone outside looking in, it is tough to believe hearing ONE loss did so much to bring the Central program to where it is. More than Jim Matney coming to Paintsville...

:popcorn:
oneijoe Wrote:You would know better than me...

But for someone outside looking in, it is tough to believe hearing ONE loss did so much to bring the Central program to where it is. More than Jim Matney coming to Paintsville...

:popcorn:

I've never been a part of the JC coaching staff..... So I don't know what happens day-in and day-out with the JC football program.

But speaking soley as a fan... Ashland never really was a rival of JC until that game. I know the players looked forward to the 2006 game against Ashland from after that kick was ruled no good until kickoff the the '06 game. Hence... they wanted to make a statement to Ashland. JC was undefeated (8-0) coming in to the '06 Ashland (7-1) game. Ashland has a deep and respected football tradition. The JC players knew they had to "up their game" to beat Ashland. So once the underclassmen saw what hard work in the off-season and wanting to avenge a loss against a program like Ashland... the district championship has been decided in the JC vs. Ashland game since that 2005 game.

Once you've reached the level of success like that 2006 team did (13-1), it carries over year after year. Cause those underclassmen had upperclassmen pushing them cause they remember the feelings they had that season. And then the new kids want to be "the best team in schools history."
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
You could put either of the 2 Mayfield/McCracken games on here.

The PT/Mayfield OT game in 2010.

The Beechwood/Mayfield game in 2011.

The Beechwood/Mayfield state championship in 1995.

I really think the best was Collins having their back up qb come in on 4th and goal to throw a td pass to win a state championship last year when no one include myself thought they could.