Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's the best high school game you have witnessed or been a part of? Mine was 87 88 and Ashland coming off a average at best season think they were 5 and 5 something like that on a cold cold night in the playoffs had undefeated and #1 ranked Cov Cath come a calling. Ashland a heavy underdog went toe to toe with them and it was a WAR. Offensive struggle, both Ds play lights out and made goal line stands in regulation. When the 4th period was over Cov Cath and Ashland were tied 0-0 and time for overtime. Cov Cath scored and we did not. Final Cov Cath 6, Ashland 0. One of the greatest games ever played at OLD PUTNAM STADIUM.:Thumbs:
that's a game of legend I think Ironton scoring 21 unanswered braking ashlands heart in 98 the rockcastle playoff game in 2004 the Ironton game in. 2005 the missed GW fieldgoal that left many Ashland coaches players and fans in tears as it would've ended the streak. Field goal gate vs Johnson Central the same year. They still hate that one in paintsville and honestly think without that game JC probably doesn't dominate like they have been. The motivation that one game provided an entire program and fan base. Next would be belfry double or then the following Russell triple next week in 2006 2 weeks of pure Putnam magic. And finally 2008 vs Woodford county highest scoring game in Putnam stadium history.
Raceland over Ashland 14-13 in 1991, with Ashland coming off the State Title in 1990.
:notworthy
Jarons Wrote:Raceland over Ashland 14-13 in 1991, with Ashland coming off the State Title in 1990.
That one goes on my worst list.:igiveup:
I'll say the 2002 Russell vs Mason County game a Putnam 11-8. And second would be even though we lost the 2002 Russell/Breathitt County game 28-27 overtime.
Best that I've been a part of would have to be a 41-40 win over Lynn Camp in 2005. We were down 34-19 late in the 3rd quarter to come back and win and secure the district.

Best I've seen is Male-Trinity in 2002, hands down.
Jarons Wrote:Raceland over Ashland 14-13 in 1991, with Ashland coming off the State Title in 1990.

That was a good one, but my favorite has to be the 3-0 win over Lawrence County in 1992.
The comeback LCA put together in the Regional Finals in 2008 was impressive. Raceland was up 20-3 after a dominating 1st half. LCA scored 24 unanswered points and Raceland fell about 4 yards short on a last second reception by Bobby McKee from Tyler Boyels.
Ramcat77 Wrote:That was a good one, but my favorite has to be the 3-0 win over Lawrence County in 1992.

One of my favorites too.
I was apart of some good ones.

Beating Pburg on a last second field goal in 01.
Whooping Bell County a couple of times.
Losing to Rock in 99 because we missed an extra point early in the game.

Im with roshambo on the 2002 male/trinity game though. Great one, and talk about the star power.
Of course the Lawrence/Breathitt game in 97. One of my best games I ever witnessed was Michael West having no returning starters back on offense his Junior year and putting up 400+ Yards on Belfry (I think he also averaged over 200+ A game that season). Highlands beating Sheldon Clark at the Rock I believe in 97-98. Rock castle upset over Sheldon Clark in 99. So many good games and football in the mountains. All of belfry/breathitt state championship wins.
It would be hard to beat that one between Highlands and Collins in BG last year.

The one that still rings a bell with me was not close but it was great for me. I think it was coach Joe Morris's first year as head coach. We got off to a bad start. I think we were 0-3. The Tigers from Murray almost never beat us. They were smelling blood in the water and we had to go to that terrible field of theirs. I got there just in time to see all of the Murray players lined up at the gate getting ready to come out onto the field. They were chanting something they never chant "we want Mayfield, we want Mayfield". They got us. I think the final was 42-0.
I witnessed T and M in the state title game. Easily the greatest title game and for that matter high school game in KY history. Got to see it thanks to Mayfield making to the title game that year. Brohm VS Bush. It was a epic shootout
The Male/Trinity game Brohm/Bush was really my first experience with the state championship games. Thats the year my dad, one of his friends, and myself began going eac year. We havent been since it moved to BG. Hopefully Raceland can pull some upsets and get us there soon!!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:We havent been since it moved to BG. Hopefully Raceland can pull some upsets and get us there soon!!

:Thumbs:
2009 Pike County Central @ Mason County, still to this day IMO the biggest win in our school's history.
2012 Bowling Green at John Hardin in state semifinal. Both teams were undefeated. John Hardin took a 6 point lead in last minute or so. The Purples get close to midfield and time for one more play. Everybody knew the ball was going to Nacarius Fant, including John Hardin. Coach Wallace called the hook and ladder play to Fant who pitched to Blake Pillow for the touchdown and a 14-13 win. Purples go on to win title and John Hardin suffers a terrible loss. I still feel sorry for that team today!
Also Bowling Green's victory over Blackmon and McCallie in 2013. Both classics.
Oh I have been a part of and seen a lot of good one BUT, the GREATEST was seeing Collins take down the mighty Bluebirds of Highlands in the 4A finals of 2013....
I've only seen 3 games in Kentucky and I won't bore you with games that involve teams you've never heard of, so with my limited experience I'll have to go with the McCracken vs. Mayfield game this year. It was as good a game as you'd ever expect to see. Mostly I just one to get my post count up so I won't look like such a newbie.
Archbishop Moeller and Saint Xavier (Cincinnati) most years. Moeller and Saint Edward any year.
I love defensive low scoring battles for the most part. I think the last three 3A state title games have been excellent. Also a big fan of Belfry v Ashland in 06 and 11 both awesome gams.
2006 Class A final b/n NewCath and Danville in terms of comebacks
In terms of games, Brohm v Bush
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:that's a game of legend I think Ironton scoring 21 unanswered braking ashlands heart in 98 the rockcastle playoff game in 2004 the Ironton game in. 2005 the missed GW fieldgoal that left many Ashland coaches players and fans in tears as it would've ended the streak. Field goal gate vs Johnson Central the same year. They still hate that one in paintsville and honestly think without that game JC probably doesn't dominate like they have been. The motivation that one game provided an entire program and fan base. Next would be belfry double or then the following Russell triple next week in 2006 2 weeks of pure Putnam magic. And finally 2008 vs Woodford county highest scoring game in Putnam stadium history.

As for the bolded... You have no idea.

For me...
My #1 is JC's first ever regional football championship against Rockcastle County in 2006.
My #2 is JC's 56-6 assault against a cocky Paintsville team/fanbase that said some of the meaniest, hurtful statements about some of the JC players I've ever read.
My #3 is the 2012 JC vs. Ashland regular season game that went to overtime. A perfect pass from QB Gound and a 2pt. conversion that will live in the hearts of JC fans for years to come.
My #4 is the 2013 JC vs. Belfry game. If you could put the term "Mountain Football" in to an action, this game would be it.

My #5 is the 2004 Belfry vs. Prestonsburg regional championship game at Vipperman. No words to describe the atmosphere that night.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:My #5 is the 2004 Belfry vs. Prestonsburg regional championship game at Vipperman. No words to describe the atmosphere that night.

That was one of the wildest nights I ever remember at Vipperman. Barely standing room would love to see video of that night and crowd to see if its nostalgia or if it really was that crazy of an atmosphere.
That 2011 Belfry Ashland game was a great game and maybe the hardest hitting game I've ever seen in High School.
Sheldon Clark vs Leslie County 1997. Tim Couch comes in and we win with a interception in OT for the W. Great game and beating a future pro both great accomplishments.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:that's a game of legend I think Ironton scoring 21 unanswered braking ashlands heart in 98 the rockcastle playoff game in 2004 the Ironton game in. 2005 the missed GW fieldgoal that left many Ashland coaches players and fans in tears as it would've ended the streak. Field goal gate vs Johnson Central the same year. They still hate that one in paintsville and honestly think without that game JC probably doesn't dominate like they have been. The motivation that one game provided an entire program and fan base. Next would be belfry double or then the following Russell triple next week in 2006 2 weeks of pure Putnam magic. And finally 2008 vs Woodford county highest scoring game in Putnam stadium history.

Seriously ?!?...you credit Johnson Central's rise to a single Ashland game-winning field goal ??

:please:

I believe I'm more apt to credit Jim Matney for Central dominating its district over the past years. Heck, I'd be more inclined to credit Central's rise to getting fed up with its poor history against the Paintsville Tigers (if forced to credit another school for Johnson Central's improvement).

oneijoe Wrote:Seriously ?!?...you credit Johnson Central's rise to a single Ashland game-winning field goal ??

:please:

I believe I'm more apt to credit Jim Matney for Central dominating its district over the past years...

Scores for the JC vs. Ashland series since "The Field Goal" game in 2005.

2006: 35-7 JC (Regular Season)
2006: 28-21 JC (Playoffs)
2007: 67-33 JC
2008: 41-6 JC
2009: 29-28 JC
2010: 42-26 JC
2011: 6-22 Ashland
2012: 22-21 JC (Overtime)
2013: 42-7 JC

That's a 8-1 record since that game. The players JC have now were in elementary school when that game happened. You don't think they didn't hear their big brothers, cousins and neighbors talk about how bad they hate Ashland because of that "Wide Right" kick. Growing up watching Ron Blume, Sean Music, Shawn Grim, Tommy Taylor, Michael Tackett and the other players JC had that season.... then to see those players reaction after that kick was ruled no good. That stuck in their heads. You know they hear the players that have come and gone talk about that.... "don't let your season come down to a field goal"

Gotta love it..... Home-Grown motivation!!!!!
I hated it but...

The MUD BOWL should be No. 2 behind the Male (Bush) vs T (Brohm) shootout state championship.

1997 Cov Cath upset Highlands @ Highlands in 3A 3rd round playoffs
The two teams could have been the best two in the state, at least both were top 5.

Highlands up 21 to 0 or 7 at halftime.... then a storm blew in.
Heaviest rain ive ever seen for a high school game. Cov Cath comes back to tie the game late in the fourth.

Jeremy Madden runs in the winning score in double overtime. I think the final was like 48-42 or something?
Cov Cath went on to easily win state.

It is definitely the most legendary game in NKY HS football history.
fewfirstchoice Wrote:Sheldon Clark vs Leslie County 1997. Tim Couch comes in and we win with a interception in OT for the W. Great game and beating a future pro both great accomplishments.

Tim Couch was playing at UK in 97
Pages: 1 2