Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New players at Perry Central
When is the new prep school suppose to open?
This is a prime example of AAU destroying basketball everywhere. When coaches can recruit players, it isn't high school basketball anymore. What happened to the time when coaches took boys from their own school and taught them how to play ball? This doesn't happen because coaches today don't know how to take a group of kids and work with them to get better and let the results fall where they may, today coaches make up for their shortcomings by collecting players they need to "win". Someday a community may hire a coach and say teach "our" kids how to play, we will support you, win or lose.
Good post Hilltopper. Thats the way it should be everywhere at the high school level. High School sports is about the COMMUNITY we live in. Help mold and develop our own.
Hilltopper Wrote:This is a prime example of AAU destroying basketball everywhere. When coaches can recruit players, it isn't high school basketball anymore. What happened to the time when coaches took boys from their own school and taught them how to play ball? This doesn't happen because coaches today don't know how to take a group of kids and work with them to get better and let the results fall where they may, today coaches make up for their shortcomings by collecting players they need to "win". Someday a community may hire a coach and say teach "our" kids how to play, we will support you, win or lose.

Could not have said it better. I'm not real sure what they do in practice anymore. I think at least half of the practices are just full court scrimmages. My youngest one played on a couple real good teams and one that made the state tournament. They would have conditioning,and open gym at least 4days a week from the time school started until Oct 15. And I swear they was never in shape until after the Xmas tournaments. I would ask what they did during this time and it was always they conditioned or they scrimmaged, but I alway thought it was a big social session.
Hilltopper Wrote:This is a prime example of AAU destroying basketball everywhere. When coaches can recruit players, it isn't high school basketball anymore. What happened to the time when coaches took boys from their own school and taught them how to play ball? This doesn't happen because coaches today don't know how to take a group of kids and work with them to get better and let the results fall where they may, today coaches make up for their shortcomings by collecting players they need to "win". Someday a community may hire a coach and say teach "our" kids how to play, we will support you, win or lose.

Great post. But there also must be support from the community and ADMINISTRATION as well during years when there is not so much talent.

PCC, Hazard, and KCC expect to win the 14th region in boys basketball every year. Most years the rest of the teams in the 14th would be content to win the district and a game in the regional tournament, or even to just compete in a hard fought game against PCC, Hazard, or KCC in an elimination game.

AAU Basketball is also hurting Baseball and Football. And I agree with everything you said!
Off topic but I hear the exchange students at Hazard didnt get eligible.
Ballers Wrote:Off topic but I hear the exchange students at Hazard didnt get eligible.

They will be eligible on Dec. 5th.

BUT, there is a problem with their F-1 Visa's. Nothing to do with KHSAA.
UK#24 Wrote:They will be eligible on Dec. 5th.

BUT, there is a problem with their F-1 Visa's. Nothing to do with KHSAA.

I know EKFF said they where decent players but I heard they are a lot better than that lol... What do you think?
Ballers Wrote:I know EKFF said they where decent players but I heard they are a lot better than that lol... What do you think?

They are pretty solid players. Would make Hazard #2 in the region easy. But from the sound of things this F-1 stuff is a mess. About 90% sure the kids aren't going to get to play or even stay in the country.
I'd put Perry Central second even with the foreign players. One or two of them were playing this summer at the KBA.
When is the KHSAA going to put a stop to this shit. Shelby Valley does the same thing in the 15th region
HDE Wrote:I'd put Perry Central second even with the foreign players. One or two of them were playing this summer at the KBA.

Well If your going to do your rankings off of Summer Ball, which is stupid, then you would have to put Buckhorn at 2 they beat Perry.

To answer you tho, 2 of Hazards best players and there 6th man this year didn't play at the KBA.
pugsley79 Wrote:When is the KHSAA going to put a stop to this shit. Shelby Valley does the same thing in the 15th region

The KHSAA is useless, I have been to either a boys or girls state tournament probably 20 out of the last 25 years, but I quit going a couple years ago and want be back. They will take a kid that knows they are not good enough to play at the next level. But wants to changes schools because of classes offered and rule them ineligible, and let certain school bring kids in from all over the country and there is never a problem. Have you ever notice how all the really good players move around in state, they always in up at the same schools.
UK#24 Wrote:Well If your going to do your rankings off of Summer Ball, which is stupid, then you would have to put Buckhorn at 2 they beat Perry.

To answer you tho, 2 of Hazards best players and there 6th man this year didn't play at the KBA.

Perry is second, Hazard third and Buckhorn fourth.
You can't base anything on one game in the summer, but the summer gives you a great chance to see what teams look like after graduation. It is a little tougher in the 14th than other regions because of all the transfers, but it's usually pretty close.
Ballers Wrote:I know EKFF said they where decent players but I heard they are a lot better than that lol... What do you think?

As of right now Hazard won't have any players on their roster thats not from Hazard/Perry Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ekff Wrote:As of right now Hazard won't have any players on their roster thats not from Hazard/Perry Co.

I think it's sad that administrators at the school level let coaches take all these players that aren't their own, and then they wonder why no one comes to the games anymore. When you don't know who the players are, I just can't get too excited about watching them play.
KHSAA will swallow a elephant and choke on a gnat. There is no rhyme nor reason to their decisions on eligibility.

good Post Just don't work that way.
We need two high school teams one that tries to win and one that tries to make up for Dads who don't work with them and teach them skils.
insideinfo Wrote:The KHSAA is useless, I have been to either a boys or girls state tournament probably 20 out of the last 25 years, but I quit going a couple years ago and want be back. They will take a kid that knows they are not good enough to play at the next level. But wants to changes schools because of classes offered and rule them ineligible, and let certain school bring kids in from all over the country and there is never a problem. Have you ever notice how all the really good players move around in state, they always in up at the same schools.

KHSAA is inconsistant
topnotch Wrote:We need two high school teams one that tries to win and one that tries to make up for Dads who don't work with them and teach them skils.
I'm unsure of what you are saying here. Please be more specific.
I heard thru the grapevine that Big Al got out recruited on two boys from Cordia that are know at KCC.
outsidelookingin Wrote:i heard thru the grapevine that big al got out recruited on two boys from cordia that are know at kcc.

lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Big Al is A good coach and recuites well to. I love him.
topnotch Wrote:Big Al is A good coach and recuites well to. I love him.

Yep he RECUITES as well as anyone!