Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordia Parents waiting on Offers???????
zaga_fan Wrote:It's been a while since I've done this... but topnotch has driven me to it.

zaga_fan has officially retired from this thread

IF you can't stand the heat get OUT OF THE KITCHEN. I didn't last as long as ZAGA's video.
crossover, your son just posted that he was signing soon. What all offers does he have?
As a parent who had 3 play college sports, not one high school coach or travel team coach ever helped with recruiting. Nor did I expect them to. It is a parents place to find the showcases and camps that best suit their childs academic pursuits. Much research goes into choosing a school and the single most important stat is GPA. If you do not have the grades very few colleges are interested. What positions are schools recruiting? If they have a team full of point guards and you are a point guard probably not. It is about the education not the sport. Far to few go on to higher learning and even fewer play sports past high school and only a very small few play professional. You must start the recruiting process as freshman.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:crossover, your son just posted that he was signing soon. What all offers does he have?

LOL where did you see that?
dawgbyte02 Wrote:As a parent who had 3 play college sports, not one high school coach or travel team coach ever helped with recruiting. Nor did I expect them to. It is a parents place to find the showcases and camps that best suit their childs academic pursuits. Much research goes into choosing a school and the single most important stat is GPA. If you do not have the grades very few colleges are interested. What positions are schools recruiting? If they have a team full of point guards and you are a point guard probably not. It is about the education not the sport. Far to few go on to higher learning and even fewer play sports past high school and only a very small few play professional. You must start the recruiting process as freshman.

Wow, it must have been a while ago because the recruitment process has evolved. Academic should also take priority and that is the case in my family. Also you cannot sit on sports you have got to put serious time into training and preparation. AAU and High school coaches play a vital role in recruitment. During evaluations college can't talk to parents they communicate via their high school and AAU coach until their jr. year high school. Then they are allow to communicate with the player and family. then your are right based on the colleges who show interest you should evaluate the rosters and talk with the coaches to see where your child will fit, if he/she fits. Why send your child who is a PG to a school where there are 3 PG and one who is a current freshman. Parents must be educated and help the kids make the right decisions. EXPOSURE IS KEY. NO COLLEGE COACH IS GOING TO PUT HIS LIVELY HOOD ON A PARENTS OPINION OF THEIR KID OR A VIDEO WITHOUT SEEING THE KID IN PERSON.... Coaching is serious there one day gone the next.
the crossover Wrote:LOL where did you see that?

N o one else saw it either. He is getting ready to try and start some SH@@ about something.:foreveralone:
the crossover Wrote:LOL where did you see that?

topnotch Wrote:N o one else saw it either. He is getting ready to try and start some SH@@ about something.:foreveralone:

I'll PM you crossover.

topnotch :haters:
:thatsfunn

:biglmao:
zaga_fan Wrote:When the KHSAA takes their sweet time to rule on these kids it's because they've already said no.

It's not really a travesty or anything...
The vast majority of players get ruled eligible right off the bat.

The only ones that take a long time are these kids that by the book should be ineligible.

zaga_fan Wrote:Take a deep breath.

The KHSAA was definitely handed over the right to decide the rules.
you know who gave them that right?
Cordia did.

When Cordia joined the KHSAA for their sport clubs they decided that they would play by KHSAA's rules. If you send your kid to Cordia and they want to play basketball - they are playing IN the KHSAA and the rules are set by them. If they move on to the NCAA - they'll play by the NCAA's rules. If they move on to the NBA - they'll play be the NBA's rules.

I'm no lawyer... but I have read over the constitution several times in my day. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a kid's constitutional right to play basketball for their high school. It's a privilege.

If all of these kids are here for reasons other than basketball then it's not that big of a deal to them anyway. Because according to their big lawsuit, they were there for credit recovery and a safe school environment. If they're their with a priority of playing basketball, then they're ineligible.

The problem with what you text is, no organization wheather it be the 4H club, The Lions club, or any other club or organization the KHSAA, can make their own rules, however all of them can not make any rule that violates 14th
amendment to the constitution, which guarantees you equal rights and due process
You constitution scholars do understand that due process protects you from law enforcement and the government (not the KHSAA), right?
Running clock FYI there is Kentucky con. Law that gives the khsaa their power they are governed under krs 13B that is why you can take them to a circuit court of jurisdiction. that is what gives the courts their power over them.
Revisiting this thread in the wake of everything.

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...?p=1752345

MissB identifies his/herself as Josh Ortiz's father or mother. And then says this:

"Joshua came to the school because of his long friendship with LULU and the chance to play under Rod’s direction"

the crossover identifies his/herself as J.J. Catchings' father or mother. And then says this:

"I love Cordia and don't want to see the Kids leave because they don't feel the coach cares but ..."
"This is so frustrating because I thought that I was doing what was right to put my kids in the right situations to prepare and help them get in college."
"My daughter and excellent basketball player was preparing to go to college and developed Leukemia in February of her Junior season and has been priority for me and is one of the main reasons JJ landed in Hazard."

All of those quotes were freely posted MONTHS before it all broke. No one forced them to say anything. They could have went back and edited them.

the crossover admitted J.J. and his sister weren't living together (since she was back playing basketball in Mississippi), so it's clear the whole family didn't move to KY.
And going to Cordia wouldn't get him closer to his sick sister.
Maybe to get away? Sure. That still doesn't explain why Cordia (and not THOUSANDS of other schools to choose from).

As far as Cordia's "Credit recovery" program being known by people outside of Kentucky? How?
How long as Cordia had a nationally known credit recovery program? Not too many papers, sites, blogs mention it?
Did it just shoot up in the rankings all of the sudden?
And if it's been around a while and is so good (a reason parents are going back to), how come more out-of-state kids weren't taking advantage of it COINCIDENTALLY prior to a certain basketball coach's arrival?
Hello
cksportsfan Wrote:Revisiting this thread in the wake of everything.

MissB identifies his/herself as Josh Ortiz's father or mother. And then says this:

"Joshua came to the school because of his long friendship with LULU and the chance to play under Rod’s direction"

the crossover identifies his/herself as J.J. Catchings' father or mother. And then says this:

"I love Cordia and don't want to see the Kids leave because they don't feel the coach cares but ..."
"This is so frustrating because I thought that I was doing what was right to put my kids in the right situations to prepare and help them get in college."
"My daughter and excellent basketball player was preparing to go to college and developed Leukemia in February of her Junior season and has been priority for me and is one of the main reasons JJ landed in Hazard."

All of those quotes were freely posted MONTHS before it all broke. No one forced them to say anything. They could have went back and edited them.

the crossover admitted J.J. and his sister weren't living together (since she was back playing basketball in Mississippi), so it's clear the whole family didn't move to KY.
Maybe to get away? Sure. That still doesn't explain why Cordia (and not THOUSANDS of other schools to choose from).

As far as Cordia's "Credit recovery" program being known by people outside of Kentucky? How?
How long as Cordia had a nationally known credit recovery program? Not too many papers, sites, blogs mention it?
And if it's been around a while and is so good (a reason parents are going back to), how come more out-of-state kids weren't taking advantage of it COINCIDENTALLY prior to a certain basketball coach's arrival?
From the statement that I made to the accusations that your making that JJ and Josh was receiving "credit recovery" is comingfrom WHERE? OUR sons were NOT there for credit recovery at all !!!!!!!

Your looking fo another explanation as to why my son came to Cordia other than what I stated. Whether you accept it or not, my son's situation is the truth!
cksportsfan Wrote:Revisiting this thread in the wake of everything.

I never alluded to the fact that our family moved. My daughter although she was on the team trying to make a comeback last year is still and has been receiving chemotherapy.... I think it might be of benefit to reread those statements. JJ was never stated or cleared to play under the assumption that we moved to KY! JJ came to Cordia with greater than 3.0 GPA and left with greater than 3.0 GPA. JJ has received awards in Chemistry and Calculus & Trig. so we knew nothing of the credit recovery program and did not need it. JJ was there under the guidance of a family friend who was willing to help. I do not understand the purpose to your statements? let the legal systems handle this and not spread viewpoints or thoughts I have nothing to hide ask; I will do one of two thing answer or not.
MissB Wrote:From the statement that I made to the accusations that your making that JJ and Josh was receiving "credit recovery" is comingfrom WHERE? OUR sons were NOT there for credit recovery at all !!!!!!!

Your looking fo another explanation as to why my son came to Cordia other than what I stated. Whether you accept it or not, my son's situation is the truth!

1) Credit recovery is NOT directly from you. Didn't say it was.
However, you have to admit some Cordia supporters have brought up "credit recovery" as a reason for landing in Lotts Creek.

2) I accept your reasoning, 100 percent. Except in the eyes of the KHSAA, that's not good enough (or in the court of public opinion).
You said he wanted to play with LuLu and play for Rhodes.
In the eyes of the KHSAA, that's a basketball-related move FIRST prior to anything else going on.
Therein lies the problem.
Not job related. Not academic related. Not personal/family related (get closer to family, sick relatives, etc.).
I appreciate your honesty. That's something MORE people want to see in this thread.
the crossover Wrote:I never alluded to the fact that our family moved. My daughter although she was on the team trying to make a comeback last year is still and has been receiving chemotherapy.... I think it might be of benefit to reread those statements. JJ was never stated or cleared to play under the assumption that we moved to KY! JJ came to Cordia with greater than 3.0 GPA and left with greater than 3.0 GPA. JJ has received awards in Chemistry and Calculus & Trig. so we knew nothing of the credit recovery program and did not need it. JJ was there under the guidance of a family friend who was willing to help. I do not understand the purpose to your statements? let the legal systems handle this and not spread viewpoints or thoughts I have nothing to hide ask; I will do one of two thing answer or not.

1) I'm sorry your daughter has leukemia, but I'm glad she returned to the court.
2) Congrats to your son's academics. Calculus, Trig and Chemistry aren't easy classes.

That being said
- Cordia has nothing to do with Mississippi
- Cordia's academics aren't ranked very high. For someone who prides your son's education, there are THOUSANDS of places you could have taken him. HUNDREDS in Kentucky.

You also said you hope "kids don't leave because of the coach" and you thought "you were doing the right thing to help him get into college"

1) If kids leave, it would seem it could show it was BASKETBALL RELATED (which every parent, Cordia player and supporter are doing their darndest not to admit in public).
2) Doing the right thing is?
- Sending him out to Podunk at a poor academic school (again, check the rankings)
- With a minority enrollment of 6 percent (which has actually trended upward because of all the basketball kids arriving from all points on the globe)
- to play for a school who has had issues getting kids eligible from Day One?

He was probably better off academically where he was.

U.S. News & World Report ranking of Cordia:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=us

http://www.city-data.com/school/cordia-h...ol-ky.html
"City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2010 test average as compared to other schools in Kentucky) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 22."

That's an F-MINUS.

http://local.wfpl.org/kycir/unbridled/
search for cordia
None of Cordia's three schools -- Elementary, Middle, High -- received better than a 47.2. Cordia High was ranked 17th WORST in the entire state (there are more than 200 schools in Kentucky). It has NOTHING to do with size. NOTHING to do with location.

North Laurel, Jackson County, East Ridge, Bell, Greenup are all EKY schools. And all vastly superior to Cordia.

Pikeville Independent is a distinguished school (with better athletics across the board). Small enrollment.

I'm not from Pikeville or ANY school listed. Not from a rival. I'm south of Louisville. Not connected to the big green Catholic schools, either.

So it's not sour grapes.

It's about research and due diligence.
cksportsfan Wrote:1) I'm sorry your daughter has leukemia, but I'm glad she returned to the court.
2) Congrats to your son's academics. Calculus, Trig and Chemistry aren't easy classes.

That being said
- Cordia has nothing to do with Mississippi
- Cordia's academics aren't ranked very high. For someone who prides your son's education, there are THOUSANDS of places you could have taken him. HUNDREDS in Kentucky.

You also said you hope "kids don't leave because of the coach" and you thought "you were doing the right thing to help him get into college"

1) If kids leave, it would seem it could show it was BASKETBALL RELATED (which every parent, Cordia player and supporter are doing their darndest not to admit in public).
2) Doing the right thing is?
- Sending him out to Podunk at a poor academic school (again, check the rankings)
- With a minority enrollment of 6 percent (which has actually trended upward because of all the basketball kids arriving from all points on the globe)
- to play for a school who has had issues getting kids eligible from Day One?

He was probably better off academically where he was.

U.S. News & World Report ranking of Cordia:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=us

http://www.city-data.com/school/cordia-h...ol-ky.html
"City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2010 test average as compared to other schools in Kentucky) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 22."

That's an F-MINUS.

http://local.wfpl.org/kycir/unbridled/
search for cordia
None of Cordia's three schools -- Elementary, Middle, High -- received better than a 47.2. Cordia High was ranked 17th WORST in the entire state (there are more than 200 schools in Kentucky). It has NOTHING to do with size. NOTHING to do with location.

North Laurel, Jackson County, East Ridge, Bell, Greenup are all EKY schools. And all vastly superior to Cordia.

Pikeville Independent is a distinguished school (with better athletics across the board). Small enrollment.

I'm not from Pikeville or ANY school listed. Not from a rival. I'm south of Louisville. Not connected to the big green Catholic schools, either.

So it's not sour grapes.

It's about research and due diligence.

First. I did not send my son to Cordia for basketball or education. I sent him because I needed him in a situation that would prepare him for college but more importantly remove him for the situation of my daughter. They are very close and I wanted him to remain focused. That I don't have to explain neither do I regret it. He missed the hard and most difficult times. Academically I was not concerned because I made sure he had a better than good foundation. I didn't have any problems with the education that Cordia provided. I can't speak for other but my son did not Come to Cordia for Basketball.......... I did not know Coach Rhodes, his past, or coaching staff but that didn't he would not tryout. My son was not an All American, top 100 and to be honest no one one the team was but they were coachable......... Basketball is extracurricular and is a possible route to free education..... Academic and.....

No when I spoke about kids leaving it had nothing to do with how they got there it was related to making sure the coach had their all of the teams best interest at heart. Recruitment for athletes is important. That statement had absolutely nothing to do with why they were there but the NOW THAT WE ARE HERE.......

Please don't read more than what's there...... We love our kids and want the best for them.