•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2014
I agree! Why is it that August-December is over within a blink of an eye and all at once its over. Then Dec 10-August 10 seems to just drag like an old dog with a bum leg? Really looking foward to seeing how the young guys hae matured both mentally and physically. I can say this, if u want to get Raceland, get us this year while we are a tad young on the line and under center. Bc the next few years are looking, while not as BRIGHT, as Mayfields, it will, by a long shot, be the most tallent, speed, and most importantly STRENGTH, that Raceland may hae ever had. Several of next seasons soph and junior class skill guys are benching over 300, squating at or around 500lbs. This team is loaded with kids that are 5'10"-6'2" and between 220 and 250 and they are all sophs and jrs. The line for the next several years wont be dominated by over bearing weight or height, but by speed, strength, and brains. Very intelligent kids in these classes bith on and off the field.
Hope all of this talent on paper, transfers to the field. I personally prefer a smaller line that is quicker and more explosive.
Thats what your going to see. Outside of Wallace, we wont see many guys with D-1 size. There will however be consistent lines that look like 4 or 5 guys with the size that Manis had last year. Lines that average about 6"-6'2" and 230-250. These kids will be extremely mobile as well. This should lend itself to an up tempo offense. Still run first, but with good abilit to get the ball down the field as well. Youg(varsity starter now), Messer, the JV qb from last year, Caldwell, and Davidson all have great arm strength. I dont think Messer or Young sill see much rest in 2014. Id say who ever is under center, the other will see time at WR and both will be major factors in the Defensive backfield.
I think the Rams have a chance to be REALLY good this year. OLine and DLine will be the only question. Wallace will be most experienced player on Dline after starting last year as a freshman. Rams are loaded at the skill positions. Messer just won state at 3 events for the the track team and will be the go to guy for the Rams. I think Raceland can be back in the semi's and possibly make it to the carpet if things fall their way.
Even with the loss of Hall, Pikeville will be a tough out next year. Within our region it will boil down to who's line matures the most over the course of the season. Both teams will match up better with Williamsburg next year, though it wouldnt suprise me to see a Pikeville Hazard Semifinal. Both places are very hard to win at in late November. Williamsburg is the front runner in the east. Even with their question marks at QB, which imo wont matter much. Their defense will remain in tact and you saw what thy did to our offense. But, if these young lineman utilize their speed and intelligence, Raceland could very well shock some people. But, as it stands right now, I rank the east like this:

Wburg
Pville(my pick to win the east but wburg earned the no 1 spot)
Raceland/Hazard
Paintsville
The rest...

Fairview is a dark horse. Our district could shake out to be gery interesting. Losing Phelps hurts Paintsville. Though they did keep Daniels and picked up Belcher. Shouldbe a fun year next year, as the all are, but I expect this one to be a touch more competitive.
Thread needed a bump. So my 2 cents on things as they are right now.

Headed down 23 to go clean the van out after our family vacation. The boys saw some guys onthe field so we pulled off for a bit to watch. Looked like the senior skill guys were running routes, working on plays, rythm and timing. Josh Young looks GREAT. He, along wit Messer, Dixon, Snyder, Christian, and Walker have gained alot of muscle and all of the. Seem to be a step quicker and faster than they were this time last year. If the line is working as hard as the skill guys, it's going to be a very VERY exciting season for the Raceland community.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Thread needed a bump. So my 2 cents on things as they are right now.

Looked like the senior skill guys were running routes, working on plays, rythm and timing. Josh Young looks GREAT. He, along wit Messer, Dixon, Snyder, Christian, and Walker have gained alot of muscle and all of the. Seem to be a step quicker and faster than they were this time last year. If the line is working as hard as the skill guys, it's going to be a very VERY exciting season for the Raceland community.

It will all come down to the line play on both sides of the ball. All of the skill guys in the world won't matter if the line doesn't step up. We only have two guys back who saw anything other than mop-up duty, so their development is huge on both sides of the ball. We lost a lot on both sides of the ball. You may see a lot of platooning out of necessity, and we may have to score a lot to win this year.
I think platooning, atleast on the oline and dline, could be a big asset over the next several years. With so many guys built so similar, it could become a major advantage to hae fresh legs. Especially against other 1A clubs that have the usual 5-8 guys who are capable of significant playing time on the varsty level.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Thread needed a bump. So my 2 cents on things as they are right now.

Headed down 23 to go clean the van out after our family vacation. The boys saw some guys onthe field so we pulled off for a bit to watch. Looked like the senior skill guys were running routes, working on plays, rythm and timing. Josh Young looks GREAT. He, along wit Messer, Dixon, Snyder, Christian, and Walker have gained alot of muscle and all of the. Seem to be a step quicker and faster than they were this time last year. If the line is working as hard as the skill guys, it's going to be a very VERY exciting season for the Raceland community.
Everyone looks great in shorts
I dont feel that i do as much as i did in days gone by lol
So do you think Raceland will lean on the run or pass more this season.. I was thinking the run because they have some solid runners coming back...
I think you will see more balance. The line and qb will be better suited for an up tempo version of the offense. I think Salmons and Co will give Young(first year starter but this kid knows the offense as good as anyone) and Messer, a bit more freedom. This year's line wont be mowing anyone down with size. They will have to use agility, speed, and misdirection to be successful. You will see more shots taken down the field. Elkins was a great qb, but wasnt really a threat to toss it 50 yards down field. Young and Messer do. Raceland may very well have to score alot of points to win this year. The oline and dline and lbs will determine how far this team goes. Loaded with experienced skill guys, but if they are running for their lives it wont matter. I dont expect that though. I think this Raceland team is going to suprise some people.
Hopefully by playoff time the rams line will have there problems worked out..
I think they will. This years seniors down to this years 7th graders have pretty good numbers, tallent, and size. The feeder system is still doing a good jo and staying gety competitive in the playoffs. The JFL has more numbers than ever it seems and nothing seems that any of that will changing in years to come. Last year really changed things up. Not just winning the region, but the way e last senior class prepared in the offseason, worked in the weightroom, and carried themselves on the field and in the class room, set a great example to how far working hard can take you. I dont think anyone is satisfied with what they accomplished, it wast enough. While last years seniors were great, they seemed to lack a certain A$$#ole trait or chip on their shoulder. Being level headed can be great, but there comes a time when u gotta play p***** off, but still play within the games limitstions. The only time I saw that from last years team was against Fairview. I think the classes coming in have a muh higher learning curve and football aptitude and ability to play with a chip on their shoulder and be a little tougher than what last years team did.
Defensively we have to be tougher snd offensively the line has to stay lower and be auicker off the snap
Hearing pretty good things on how things are going at Down and Dirty at EKU. Anyone has any in depth updates?
Scotty I am impressed, you guys love your Rams I am sure they will field a good team, with so much local support.
We absolutley do. Families tend to stay here. Lots of father and son and alot of times grandsons that play or have played football at Raceland. Spoke with a couple of coaches and people who went to the Down and Dirty camp. Everyone seems pretty impressed with our skill guys. Probably the most atheletic bunc we have had at Raceland. Youg(qb), Messer, Dixon are all extremely tallented and versitile. The passing game will be alot more prominent and alot longer this year. The suprise is the emergance of our lineman. Morga Carmen and Isaac Wallace are turning heads. Both are only sophomores, but have been mentioned to be among the top Lineman in the camp. Still alot of work to be done, Im sure, but I think this week has raised hopes and expectations for many of us. The line was the biggest question mark. But it sounds to me like the boys are working to turn it into an exclaimation point.
All roads to BG go through Williamsburg.
2013 was a huge year for the Raceland Rams. First they got to exact revenge on the Fairview Eagles, before the debacle. They then followed that up by making it to the semis at Williamsburg. The Rams came up short there, but did have an impressive year. The Rams return one of their main weapons in the name of Conner Messer. Messer amassed 711 receiving yards on the season in 2013. The Rams also return the largest amount of returners from last years roster with 42 returners.

The questions for the Rams are:
Can they replace the largely senior dominated line from 2013?
Next, can they get over the hump and finally make it to Bowling Green?

The answer to the first question may be reliant upon the development of the underclassmen. They have a sophomore group that made it to the state finals in 8th grade. That group had a large athletic line. The question is, can they develop quick enough for this year?

The answer to the second question is mainly reliant on the answer to the last question. While I expect this team to win their district, it may be a little tougher to get past the likes of Pikeville, Hazard or Williamsburg.

Well everyone, lets hear your thoughts.
There is a thread about Raceland already. That being said, I would love to see Raceland play Mayfield, or anybody from the west, in BG this fall.
Unfortunately, I no longer live in the area to answer any of your questions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Each year they seem to get one step closer.
They did not play well at the Burg last year, some how I felt they were better than they played.
It all depends on the development of the offensive and defensive lines. That will determine how well the RAMS do this year.
topnotch Wrote:They did not play well at the Burg last year, some how I felt they were better than they played.

Totally agree. It was a 14-7 game in the third quarter, but the RAMS could never get consistency on offense that night. Give Williamsburg credit though, they were a lot quicker up front then they looked on film, and they were good.
They were my pick to represent the east in 2013.
mysonis55 Wrote:They were my pick to represent the east in 2013.

You have a short memory Mysonis55 you pick Raceland,Pikeville and Hazard last year. You was wrong on all of them. I think this district will be the toughest in the east this year.I personally would love to give Raceland another shot at Williamsburg. #1 fan based in 1A. :Cheerlead
After the Down and Dirty camp at EKU, some questions on the line are being answered. Greg Bowling, Caden Townsend, Isaac Wallace, and Morgan Carmen really made an impression. The skill guys did what they were expected to do, thats play extremely well. EKU coaches were impressed with our atheleticism. We will live and die by what our line is able to do. Injuries will be a key as well. We wont have the depth and alot of the lineman will have to go both ways. I didnt expect to hear the line was doing as well as they are. Things are looking promising for the Rams. Still goina be tough to get through Pikeville and then either Williamsburg or Hazard. Paintsville may very well be capable of winning the district.
Raceland is well coached. I believe the coaches will have the line ready come district time. They may not have the most talent or size but will be fundamentally sound and have done their work in the weight room.
Raceland has one kid, Isaac Wallace, that may very well develop into D1 size, as of now though he is still a phenominal lineman, especially for a soph. Fundamentally the soph class has a very capable and able batch of lineman. Several are around 6" 230/240. Many still are trying to figure out how to use their strength and ability without thinking. Its goina be a good year none the less.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next