• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2014
Now we know who is at the helm, lets see what you all are expecting. Raceland returns a wealth of tallent, experienced tallent. But will only return 2 starters on the OL and DL. They also lost a LB. i think the Rams will take a few lumps, probable losses to Ashland and possibly Coal Grove and or Ironton, are very likely. Im calling for a 8-2/7-3 regular season, still managing to win a diagrict championship, though district 7 will be the toughest in all of single A, to win a championship in. Coach Salmons and company have to fill the wholes left on the line. Replacing Elkins will be a factor as well. But, Josh Young will do a great job. He has a great arm, probably a 50+ distamce, and is much more atheletic, and is faster than Elkins was. Messer will see time back there as well. Any other thoughts?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Now we know who is at the helm, lets see what you all are expecting. Raceland returns a wealth of tallent, experienced tallent. But will only return 2 starters on the OL and DL. They also lost a LB. i think the Rams will take a few lumps, probable losses to Ashland and possibly Coal Grove and or Ironton, are very likely. Im calling for a 8-2/7-3 regular season, still managing to win a diagrict championship, though district 7 will be the toughest in all of single A, to win a championship in. Coach Salmons and company have to fill the wholes left on the line. Replacing Elkins will be a factor as well. But, Josh Young will do a great job. He has a great arm, probably a 50+ distamce, and is much more atheletic, and is faster than Elkins was. Messer will see time back there as well. Any other thoughts?

I guess the obvious question Scotty is why wasn't Young the QB last year if he was head and shoulders better than Elkins ? Best to Raceland and I agree they will be tough to knock off for sure.
Young's downfall is he is a gunslinger and makes bad decisions at times. Grizzle has worked with him alot though and if they can keep him from making bad throws(which Grizzle is a GREAT qb Coach) he could have a massive season. I think you will see a 70/30 60/40 ratio of Young/Messer. But, there is a chance that you will see less of messer in the Backfield bc of Young's atheletic ability.
Young is without a doubt more physically gifted than Elkins was. But the reason Elkins started over Young was Elkins' leadership, heart, and knowledge of the system. Elkins had all of the intangibles that makes a great QB. Elkins was the better choice last season and he had an outstanding year leading Raceland to the final four. Young had a great year as a DB, earning all area honors and shutting down WR like Estep from Pikeville and Dalton from Lawrence. Young has matured a lot lf the past couple years, really growing into his body and gaining strength. He is now 6"2 190lbs. Young has ridiculous physical talent and a an above average high school arm. I look for him to have a great year behind center for the Rams.
^^^i think Josh's speed is what shocked many of us last year. When he caught both Chase Hall and the Charles kid down from behind in the Regional Championship, I was shocked.
I've heard rumors that Messer wasn't interested in playing football next season, hope that isn't true.

I'm anxious to see Young taking the snaps next season. If Young pans out, I hope to see more of a vertical passing game. I'm also interested to see if any changes will be made to the defense. Most of all, I would like to see the zone blocking on the offensive line scrapped, I felt like it hurt us at times last year, just my opinion though. Although I'm not 100% sold on Salmons as the head coach, that's mainly due to lack of previous head coaching experience, I do believe he will be more emotionally attached to the job than TJ was and that's simply due to the fact that Mike played at Raceland and by no means do I mean that TJ wasn't emotionally attached to the program.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:^^^i think Josh's speed is what shocked many of us last year. When he caught both Chase Hall and the Charles kid down from behind in the Regional Championship, I was shocked.

Not taking anything away from him at all but if that's a turf field there may have been a different outcome on chasing Hall down from behind, Charles I could understand. I'm excited to see Young perform at QB
The Messer rumors have been circulating since the start of last season. Tbh, I'll be schocked if that is the case. I think you will see more sone blocking again. This Oline will be smaller, but quicker, and may quite possibly be as strong. They will definitely be more mobile. Which I think will lead to more traps, counters, and pulls to the outside. When I look at the offense across the board, I think you will see the play calling similar to what the team was doing within the Franklin System in 2008. Though this line is much smaller, the speed on the line is what makes me think that. Stretch sweeps, traps to the C and D gaps, more verticle passing. This will be a more atheletic team next year, even though size will be down. I doubt we will be running down anyone gullet next year, atleast not by lining up and blocking one on one. Finess, imo, will be key.
Concerning Messer, I read somewhere that you only get two good years out of most kids in HS. He has had three pretty good years, maybe he is just burnt out.
Its a possibility. His JR high career was as good as any kids ive seen. Played in several national all star games his 7th and 8th grade year. He had a solid freshman year, a good soph year, and an outstanding jr campain. I will be suprised if he doesnt play though. It does happen though. I think the HC and staff shifting around may spark interest in alot of the kids again, though.
I don't think Young should play QB at all.Raceland has ran the ball more and more over the last 3 years.With Mike having full control now I think that you will see it even more.They have three good running backs and it's much easier to call a run play than a pass.If Salmons was smart he would not waste a year breaking in a senior QB,go with your best young QB and let him develop.Let Young help the team were he can help them best and that's at the corner position.They really need to start getting to the point were some of these cover kids don't play both ways.The done that with Beach this year and it really helped him running the football,he ran with more power late in games because he had more energy.

As far as Conner goes I think he is tired.He showed it late last year.I would use him as a possession receiver and let him play more on the D side of the ball.To me it looks like he enjoys that side of the ball more anyway jmo.Raceland has plenty of options on O that they do not need to lean on him.I think it's above Salmons capability to come up with a way to get him involved in the offense anyway,and I'm saying that because he hasn't in 3 years so far.
^^^ive said the same thing. But, i feel they will give Josh the job bc of all the work he has put in behind Elkins over the years. Tbh, I think he could make a great Y reciever. Tall, fast, strong. Thatd be quite a recieving corps to deal with. Dixon at 6'2", Messer around 6'4" now, and Josh is 6'2" and pushing 6'3". Nick Caldwell is a visble option at QB as well. Good arm strength, great visin running with the ball, very smart. The JV starter, who's name escapes me, looked to be a good pocket passer as well. The Rams have alot of tallent. The sophomore(next year) class is loaded, the Seniors next year have alot of tellent. The line is the making or breaking point.
I don't understand something Scotty, If Raceland is that good, how in the devil did Williamsburg lay the wood to them last year? I am serious was Williamsburg that good ? I understand that the Williamsburg team only lost one player total last year, no one has picked them for anything. I understand the Qb at Williamsburg this year will be a D1 prospect. JUST CURIOUS
The eastern side of the bracket is very comparable. Williamsburg is probably the favorite bc of how muc they return. Ive never said anything other than Raceland may suprise some people come playoff time. Williamsburg's question mark lies i how well will the Freahman qb respond to pressure and an increase in game speed.Much like the QB from Hazard last year. Williamsburg's defense? Yes.. It was THAT good, atleast that night against Raceland. Fast, flying to the ball, hit hard, hit often. Impressive. Preseason I look at the east side like this:

1. Williamsburg 2. Pikeville 3. Raceland/Hazard 4. Paintsville/Fairview

District 7 will be extremely tough. With a few slight upsets, it could end up being a District 7 Regional Championship game. I think Pikeville is the odds on Region favorite. It's going to be competitive. Williamsburg wont be as good, Pikeville will be better, tbh, Raceland will probably be about the same. Paintsville is my darkhorse, with an outside shot of Fairview, simpl bc we have no clue what to expect out of them any more.
And yes, that night, Williamsburg was THAT good and Raceland was simply, THAT bad.
One of Raceland's big strengths last year was their line, on both sides of the ball. I believe the speed of the Williamsburg Speedy D-Line caught them by surprise and our big, strong linemen were too slow. I also questioned the playcalling all night, 64sur has said all week that Williamsburg would shut Beach down and effectively take Raceland's offense out of the game. Our second running back was never really a factor an the young guy who had come on late in the season, can't think if his name, went down early with an injury. Raceland played catch up all night.
Raceland rarely uses a zone blocking scheme. Most of their run stuff is counter trey and iso.
Rams will have some serious talent at the skill positions. I look for Mav Dixon to have more touches offensively. He had 8 picks last year as a DB, he's a playmaker. Oh yea and they have that Messer kid, I hear he's pretty good. Jk, Mess is without a doubt the best WR/FS in the area, football instincts are off the charts, 6"3 and a state champion high jumper. He will have many colleges knocking on his door come this fall.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:The eastern side of the bracket is very comparable. Williamsburg is probably the favorite bc of how muc they return. Ive never said anything other than Raceland may suprise some people come playoff time. Williamsburg's question mark lies i how well will the Freahman qb respond to pressure and an increase in game speed.Much like the QB from Hazard last year. Williamsburg's defense? Yes.. It was THAT good, atleast that night against Raceland. Fast, flying to the ball, hit hard, hit often. Impressive. Preseason I look at the east side like this:

1. Williamsburg 2. Pikeville 3. Raceland/Hazard 4. Paintsville/Fairview

District 7 will be extremely tough. With a few slight upsets, it could end up being a District 7 Regional Championship game. I think Pikeville is the odds on Region favorite. It's going to be competitive. Williamsburg wont be as good, Pikeville will be better, tbh, Raceland will probably be about the same. Paintsville is my darkhorse, with an outside shot of Fairview, simpl bc we have no clue what to expect out of them any more.

qb positions is the key to williamsburg success on offense. Defense will take us back to bowling green. 64SUR Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:qb positions is the key to williamsburg success on offense. Defense will take us back to bowling green. 64SUR Confusederiously:

Your one, your only, your everything is gone. Going to be hard to replace the QB position. Long road trip back to Raceland this time around.
Gargamel Wrote:Your one, your only, your everything is gone. Going to be hard to replace the QB position. Long road trip back to Raceland this time around.

Gargamel you need to get back on Williamsburg thread.Besides would love to give Raceland a rematch with a new qb. Confusednicker:
Word around here is that last year's senior class set a GREAT example. Coaches say this is the hardest working group(refering tonext years squad), they have seen in the offseason weight program. Saw Messer and Josh Young recently and they look like they have put on near 10-15lbs of muscle. The line is much smaller in stature, but seem quicker, more agile, and more aggressive. The skill guys are probabl the strongest group Raceland has ever had. Strength and conditioning numbers are higher than this time last year. Young is nearing the 4.6 mark in his 40. Things reall seem to be going smoothly. Lookig foward to what next year will bring.
I think its great to see Hazard and Pikeville again this year..
^^^meaning?
Got word that Vance is going to play AAU ball instead of playing football next year. He has done similar things before then ended up back on the football field. Very tallented kid, extremely atheletic. Wherever he suits up, he gives 110%. That would be a big loss at DB and in the slot next year though. Anyone know anything about spring football camp?
To get a good comparison on what teams will look like and what they will need to improve on??
I was refering to when it started and any new things going on since Salmons is at the helm.
TigerBlues Wrote:Not taking anything away from him at all but if that's a turf field there may have been a different outcome on chasing Hall down from behind, Charles I could understand. I'm excited to see Young perform at QB

Were they both not running on the same muddy field? Just sayin'....
Slic Ric Wrote:Were they both not running on the same muddy field? Just sayin'....

That's true Slic, all I was meaning was that on a turf field it might have been a different outcome.
TigerBlues Wrote:That's true Slic, all I was meaning was that on a turf field it might have been a different outcome.

Turf field kill Williamsburg last year in bowling green. Confusednicker:
  • 1(current)
  • Next