Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official coaching changes thread
What's the deal with both Station and Mercer County?
I've been hearing the OBI job may come open and is drawing some interest from some pretty good coaches. Any word on that?
Anyone heard anything about Pulaski County? They're in need of a coaching change pretty bad!
Count Wrote:I'd be surprised if there was a change at KC. They will be right in the mix again next season in the 13th.
Look at results for the last few years always close but no cigar. As the panthers beat clay and Jackson and their whole run through the region they used the bench and scored over 60 pts in the biggest games but when the playoffs hit the bench wasn't used and in their loss to Williamsburg they didn't try to change anything that wasn't working or change players . It's not right to blame the kids or call them choke artists when the coach didn't try to change it up any, and is always happy with small lea d...push,run,push,run,run don't blame the kids
OPEN

1) Apollo
2) Bracken County
3) Bryan Station
4) Fairdale
5) Greenwood
6) Mercer County
7) North Bullitt
8) North Oldham
9) Pendleton County
10) Warren East
11) Washington County
12) Valley

FILLED -
Shortround Wrote:Look at results for the last few years always close but no cigar. As the panthers beat clay and Jackson and their whole run through the region they used the bench and scored over 60 pts in the biggest games but when the playoffs hit the bench wasn't used and in their loss to Williamsburg they didn't try to change anything that wasn't working or change players . It's not right to blame the kids or call them choke artists when the coach didn't try to change it up any, and is always happy with small lea d...push,run,push,run,run don't blame the kids

Under that philosophy Corbin would have fired Billy Hicks the first few years he was the coach of the Redhounds. He had great teams but had a hard time getting by Clay County until the 91 season. Mike Jones has had some good teams at Harlan Co that haven't won the region. Should he be fired also? I think KC better keep what they have. Don Bingham aint walking through that door looking to get back into coaching.
MidnightRider Wrote:I've been hearing the OBI job may come open and is drawing some interest from some pretty good coaches. Any word on that?

This is not true. The job is not open and is unlikely to come open.
MidnightRider Wrote:I've been hearing the OBI job may come open and is drawing some interest from some pretty good coaches. Any word on that?

I heard that Roderick Rhodes was interested. That sounds crazy but that's what's going around
This is a fact, an it could be dangerous for the 13th region. They could bring players in from around the world an be eligible.
OBI wont be Cordia.
That's not how they operate.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:OBI wont be Cordia.

There was a time, in the late 70s and early 80s, that OBI had some very talented basketball players. Most were from Toledo or Detroit. Ben Franklin was probably the best. He played at Cumberland College but had lots of D1 offers. Both Burns and Brown of the 1982/83 were very talented players.
Shortround Wrote:Look at results for the last few years always close but no cigar. As the panthers beat clay and Jackson and their whole run through the region they used the bench and scored over 60 pts in the biggest games but when the playoffs hit the bench wasn't used and in their loss to Williamsburg they didn't try to change anything that wasn't working or change players . It's not right to blame the kids or call them choke artists when the coach didn't try to change it up any, and is always happy with small lea d...push,run,push,run,run don't blame the kids

I saw some KC stats and was surprised to see that no one on the bench averaged more than 1.5 points a game.
KC had a great starting five but didn't get much off the bench, it appears.
They can be very explosive, but they depend on perimeter shooting and when the shots aren't falling they are in trouble.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:OBI wont be Cordia.

I agree, and that's good for OBI. Robinson did a tremendous job this past season. He runs a classy program. They were the most improved team in the region, probably even more than Whitley, which also came a long way but was a lot more advanced than OBI this time last year.
Just speculation from my view and what I've been hearing about OBI so no disrespect to the current coach there. Just heard they are interested in brining in a coach who can bring in some kids.
Lots of the jobs being listed on here as open, may be open but they are not posted to accept applications. What do you think that means?
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Lots of the jobs being listed on here as open, may be open but they are not posted to accept applications. What do you think that means?

They will do in house.
OPEN

1) Apollo
2) Atherton
3) Bracken County
4) Bryan Station
5) Fairdale
6) Greenwood
7) Mercer County
8) North Bullitt
9) North Oldham
10) Pendleton County
11) Shawnee
12) Warren East
13) Washington County
14) Valley

FILLED -
HDE Wrote:I saw some KC stats and was surprised to see that no one on the bench averaged more than 1.5 points a game.
KC had a great starting five but didn't get much off the bench, it appears.
They can be very explosive, but they depend on perimeter shooting and when the shots aren't falling they are in trouble.

I watched Knox Central several times this season and he played 8 or 9 players just about every game and got very little production from his bench which surprised me. There is quite a bit of talent setting over there, it was like they was playing not to mess up what the starters had achieved. Hard to put a finger on it. I like Coach Evans and think he does a great job, but if the same results continue the seat is going to get real hot.
4 jobs open in Louisville. What is going on there. Ben Franklin of OBI signed at Western but ended up playing at Cumberland.
Strikeout King Wrote:What's the deal with both Station and Mercer County?

I don't know about Mercer but at Bryan Station, Coach Mike Allen was suspended or removed from his coaching duties in the last part of the season.
Powell County Pirate coach Brian Hall was fired yesterday, wonder who they'll be looking for to replace him? Powell County definitely need someone that can recruit. That is the only way they will be able to contend for the 14th region championship.
11thRegionHoops Wrote:I don't know about Mercer but at Bryan Station, Coach Mike Allen was suspended or removed from his coaching duties in the last part of the season.
Was a reason given?
Heard from a Good source that Brian Hall @ Powell County is out.
^ It's true. Heard he maybe an assistant for the Breathitt County girls team next season.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Heard from a Good source that Brian Hall @ Powell County is out.

Heard same thing here at Rupp today. That is a shame.
Yea this is a shame. This guy worked his butt of at Powell and is one of the best X's and O's coaches you will ever find. Not sure what grounds they fired him on. His teams have improved every year he has been at Powell with the exception of last year. They were one last second shot away from being 3 peat champions in the 56 district tournament. They were in the semi finals of the region the year before last. Coach Hall did as good as you can do with the talent they have there. Until the Powell administration decides to leave a coach alone for more than 5 years, then a program is never going to develop there. They change coaches every 4-5 years. That's not enough time to develop a solid program from top to bottom.
Hearing that Shannon Hoskins is on his way out at Perry Central. Word is that his first round exit wasn't good enough for John Punkin and his cronies (but yet again, what has been lately?). This would be a mistake, in my opinion, but if I were Hoskins I would be happy to get out of that mess. Nobody can please PCC it seems.
OPEN

1) Apollo
2) Atherton
3) Bracken County
4) Bryan Station
5) Fairdale
6) Garrard County
7) Greenwood
8) Mercer County
9) North Bullitt
10) North Oldham
11) Pendleton County