•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County names Jason Chappell Head Coach
I say go ahead and play the games this year.
Theres no reason in buying them out because every team in the state will also be on 2 year deals to feel out there schedule.
If you buy both those games out, your going to have to replace two games and I don't see it happening. I think its good for them anyways.
redstorm Wrote:Need to buy out morristown and Boyle !

That's where your wrong.. What kind of message are sending to those players??? We don't want to play them cause we might get beat... I say :gtfo:

Play the schedule you have you only get better playing better teams!!!
Good Luck to the New Coach, hope he put's a good staff together. Play Games scheduled and be real selective when making a New Schedule in 2015. Good Luck to Whitley County in the upcoming season.
pjdoug Wrote:when you sucked? lol. Did you not realize most of Whitley County's team was injured?

When did we suck, the whole year is when.

It shouldn't have mattered if you were injury bug or not, should have beat us.

Better buy our contract out too,
Full deck Wrote:When did we suck, the whole year is when.

It shouldn't have mattered if you were injury bug or not, should have beat us.

Better buy our contract out too,

Confusednicker::lmao:
panther nation Wrote:That's where your wrong.. What kind of message are sending to those players??? We don't want to play them cause we might get beat... I say :gtfo:

Play the schedule you have you only get better playing better teams!!!

I agree.you have to play the best to beat the best.
I'd say WC gets a pretty penny for traveling to Morristown. I enjoyed the two trips Harlan County made down there.

I agree doesn't send the kids a good message to dodge a schedule. This schedule could go several different ways. 1 win, 2 wins maybe 3 or 4. But know one knows til Chappell gets his team out there. Good Luck!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I say go ahead and play the games this year.
Theres no reason in buying them out because every team in the state will also be on 2 year deals to feel out there schedule.
If you buy both those games out, your going to have to replace two games and I don't see it happening. I think its good for them anyways.

I agree, what kind of message would a new coach be sending to his team by cancelling games? I expect Whitely Co. to be competitive next year in these games anyway.

I have nothing bad to say about Coach Black, sometimes there just needs to be a change, and I look for the Colonels to start having success again on the field, maybe as early as next season.
I know almost nothing about Chappell... But, this seems like a little bit of a head-scratcher after such a long process, given his previous record as a HC.
Here is a breakdown of Chappell's coaching records -

2003 - Perry Central 5-6 (first round playoff loss)
2004 - Perry Central 4-7 (first round playoff loss)
2005 - Perry Central 1-9
Total: 10-22

2006 - South Laurel 3-7
2007 - South Laurel 6-5 (first round playoff loss)
2008 - South Laurel 4-7 (first round playoff loss)
Total: 13-19

2009 - Campbellsville 7-5 (second round playoff loss)

Total: 30-46
Will he Spread it out like he did at South Laurel or run what he has at Middlesboro this year?
TriCountySports Wrote:Here is a breakdown of Chappell's coaching records -

2005 - Perry Central 1-9

2006 - South Laurel 3-7

I think the experience card some administrations like to throw out is void when you have records such as these. You have guys with head coaching "experience," but have never had winning records. I would have taken my chances with a younger up-and-comer coach if these were my only options. No offense to the guy, hope his luck improves at Whitley.

:Shaking: :popcorn: Confusederiously:
King Leonidas Wrote:Will he Spread it out like he did at South Laurel or run what he has at Middlesboro this year?

I would say he will lean more to the running game than he did at previous stops. Not 100% ground and pound but more balanced. Sometimes you learn things with experience. From reading his interview I think he has learned a few things since his last go around. Plus you will never have the elite athletes at Whitley to run the Air Raid.

People forget that Jim tried that his first year at Whitley. Didn't work out too well for him and they switched to the flexbone.
William Muney Wrote:I would say he will lean more to the running game than he did at previous stops. Not 100% ground and pound but more balanced. Sometimes you learn things with experience. From reading his interview I think he has learned a few things since his last go around. Plus you will never have the elite athletes at Whitley to run the Air Raid.

People forget that Jim tried that his first year at Whitley. Didn't work out too well for him and they switched to the flexbone.

Williamsburg has elite athletes for Air Raid but Whitley County never will?:hilarious:. I guarantee if Jim goes to any other school he will have a passing attack.
pjdoug Wrote:Williamsburg has elite athletes for Air Raid but Whitley County never will?:hilarious:. I guarantee if Jim goes to any other school he will have a passing attack.
Until your elementary and middle schools start running a air raid kind of offense it will be hard to expect athletes to develop the nessecary skill sets to be successful in high school..Let's hope the new coach will put his offense in place at those critical places of development...
OldJacket Wrote:Until your elementary and middle schools start running a air raid kind of offense it will be hard to expect athletes to develop the nessecary skill sets to be successful in high school..Let's hope the new coach will put his offense in place at those critical places of development...

I hope they have a balanced attack with a strong running game and threat of the pass instead of Air Raid. a good defensive coach to coordinate a strong defense would be nice tooSmile. anybody have any idea who their assistants will be? have they hired anybody new?
I agree with Patriot on the Morristown Bowl. One of the best atmospheres I have experienced at a high school football game. Plus it allowed us fans to eat somewhere besides Micky D's or Wendy's. That's why we always try to get a game in Lexington, just so us fans can eat good.
Schedule will change with Perry and Letcher now in 4A unless they play up in 5A
ballboy Wrote:Schedule will change with Perry and Letcher now in 4A unless they play up in 5A

Yep. but until 15-16. I believe Feb. 25 is last day for schools to petition to play up.
bear claw Wrote:I agree with Patriot on the Morristown Bowl. One of the best atmospheres I have experienced at a high school football game. Plus it allowed us fans to eat somewhere besides Micky D's or Wendy's. That's why we always try to get a game in Lexington, just so us fans can eat good.

Morristown has great food choices. have you tried jersey girl or crazy good burgers? lol
Good luck to Coach Chappell and the Colonels.
Coach Chappell will need all the luck he can get with a schedule like he has. I think I'd swallow my pride and buy out on some of them games. They will end up beat to death just like they were this season. Nothing wrong with playing some weaker teams especially if you dont have a lot of depth. Whitley hadnt had all those injuries, they would of been a team to be reckoned with.
ballboy Wrote:Schedule will change with Perry and Letcher now in 4A unless they play up in 5A

Not yet. New alignment hasn't started yet.
pjdoug Wrote:Williamsburg has elite athletes for Air Raid but Whitley County never will?:hilarious:. I guarantee if Jim goes to any other school he will have a passing attack.

So you think Williamsburg has elite athletes? I will sell you some beach front property in Whitley co. Now Mayfield has some pretty good athletes. Did you see that game? Williamsburg had a good QB and 2 nice recievers.

Big difference between 1A and 5A. :flame:
Here is a breakdown of Chappell's coaching records -

2005 - Perry Central 1-9

2006 - South Laurel 3-7

This is abusrd! One of the worst hiring processes I have seen in quite some time. If you notice what is the trend here with Chappell. Steady DECLINE! With the exception of one season he has declined every year from his previous year. One of most bizarre hires I have seen. THey handled the whole process wrong in the first place. Instead of opening up the job they chose to target a homerun and it backfired. I have a hard time believing there wasn't a better option somewhere. Good Luck but I expect very little from Whitley County.
William Muney Wrote:So you think Williamsburg has elite athletes? I will sell you some beach front property in Whitley co. Now Mayfield has some pretty good athletes. Did you see that game? Williamsburg had a good QB and 2 nice recievers.

Big difference between 1A and 5A. :flame:

You think so? Do you think Whitley County would have been sitting in the 1A finals against Mayfield this last season? I don't.
Actually? Yea I do. First of all I don't think they would have had all the injuries they did playing a 1A schedule. So they would have been a much better team. I don't think many 1A teams could slow down Whitley. Just my opinion take it for what it is worth.

Williamsburg has a very good team, especially for 1A. They are having a special run of kids that most likely they will not see again. Some of that is helped by the struggles of surronding schools such as Corbin and Whitley. I don't think that will last forever. That is a cycle you see at the smaller schools especially in the rual parts of the state. Mayfield and a few others of course are the exceptions.
Well I will say this. Winning at Perry Central and South Laurel is almost nearly impossible. Those are basketball schools son. If Chappell would of been coaching up at Hazard, would he won? Most definately. Would he of won at Louisville Trinity. For sure. It aint the X's and O's, its the Jimmy's and Joe's. At Perry and South, there aint many Jimmy's and Joe's running around and the ones that do, play basketball. I must say Haddix is doing his best at Perry Central trying to change that though and he has been successful.
The_Rock Wrote:Well I will say this. Winning at Perry Central and South Laurel is almost nearly impossible. Those are basketball schools son. If Chappell would of been coaching up at Hazard, would he won? Most definately. Would he of won at Louisville Trinity. For sure. It aint the X's and O's, its the Jimmy's and Joe's. At Perry and South, there aint many Jimmy's and Joe's running around and the ones that do, play basketball. I must say Haddix is doing his best at Perry Central trying to change that though and he has been successful.

Very true.
The_Rock Wrote:Well I will say this. Winning at Perry Central and South Laurel is almost nearly impossible. Those are basketball schools son. If Chappell would of been coaching up at Hazard, would he won? Most definately. Would he of won at Louisville Trinity. For sure. It aint the X's and O's, its the Jimmy's and Joe's. At Perry and South, there aint many Jimmy's and Joe's running around and the ones that do, play basketball. I must say Haddix is doing his best at Perry Central trying to change that though and he has been successful.

The best coaches can get players out to play regardless of sport. Look at Thompson at Wayne County. That's a basketball school. Watch French at SW in the next couple of years. That's a basketball school. Great coaches recruit their own hallways successfully. In my opinion, the Perry's and South's you speak of have only had "good" coaches. South Laurel is one of the largest 5A schools. Getting those Jimmy's and Joe's shouldn't be that big of an excuse. That's exactly what it is.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next