• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County names Jason Chappell Head Coach
Thoughts?!
Congrats and well wishes to Coach Chappell. Sad to see the saga end LOL
The old thread has been shut down and is on the "Classic Bluegrass Rivals" section for your viewing pleasure!
It will be sorely missed.
I don't know Mr. Chappell personally, but he has a tough task at hand with a huge ceiling. IMO, 5A east is pretty wide open but a lot of teams wanting to get the "stranglehold" on it as we have 3A east the last few years.
I played for Chappell at Perry Central. Thrilled to hear this for him, he's a great guy and a hard worker, best of luck to Coach Chappell and the Colonels.
Would like to hear pjdoug and RIUTG's thoughts. Would like to see WC start making some
noise year-in and year-out......
bear claw Wrote:come on Zaga, you just gave it away. How dare you ruin the "surprise". So how do you feel of the quality of the hire?

I think he's a great guy and a great coach.

Can't judge how good anyone as by how well they do at Perry Central because of the culture there.

We had a QB who went D1 in the ACC and a RB that went D1 at Kentucky before he transferred to play baseball...
but there just wasn't any interest in the program and it's hard to get results there.

I think with the right pieces he could be a long-term coach at Whitley, but he doesn't have the pieces right now. He needs time.
^ there is my last post in the other thread.
Where is Chappell from? Name sounds really familiar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Where is Chappell from? Name sounds really familiar.

Perry County, graduated from MC Napier before the consolidation into Perry Central.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Perry County, graduated from MC Napier before the consolidation into Perry Central.
Did he coach anywhere in NEKY in the late 80's early 90's? I cannot figure out where I know that name.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Very happy for Coach Chappell. Just saw this, great Christian guy, that knows football. He will do a great job.
Coach Chappell was at South Laurel from 06 to 08. He had a 13-19 record. He was at Perry Central from 02 to 05. He had a 9-23 record. He has been at Middlesboro last couple of years.
Jarons Wrote:Did he coach anywhere in NEKY in the late 80's early 90's? I cannot figure out where I know that name.

Nope, he's relatively young, he started at Tates Creek in the late 90's - early 2000's before coming to Perry in 2003.
I hope this is a great hire for Whitley Co. I know Chappell likes to throw the football around, and I like that about him. I guess he's the complete opposite of Black, in that respect.

While I'm pulling for Chappell, I'm still partial to Black. In my opinion, there weren't many people they could have hired that would be better than Black. I hope Chappell turns out to be that person, though.

Everyone has talked about how great of a person he is, and I think it all starts with that. I'm happy for him and his family.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Nope, he's relatively young, he started at Tates Creek in the late 90's - early 2000's before coming to Perry in 2003.
As a head coach? That is where I might have heard the name when I lived in Richmond.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WOW....:why: Whitley
Congrats to Jason and to Whitley County. I haven't talked to him in a few years, but I am sure that Whitley County is getting a high quality man to run their football program. He has always been a stand-up guy.To the guys that pmed me, sorry about missing your messages but actually had to do some work.
Will the current assistant coaches stay on to help? Is Chappell allowed to bring anybody with him?
E's Army Wrote:Coach Chappell was at South Laurel from 06 to 08. He had a 13-19 record. He was at Perry Central from 02 to 05. He had a 9-23 record. He has been at Middlesboro last couple of years.

He also coached at Campbellsville for 1 year with similar results.
Whitley made a excellent decision for head coach, he knows how to put points on score board, They put 40+ points a game at middlesboro
Jackson05 Wrote:He also coached at Campbellsville for 1 year with similar results.

Went 7-5 at Campbellsville with a playoff win. He said on the radio that he and his wife moved to Middlesboro the next year because they were having a baby. His wife is from Middlesboro.
bear claw Wrote:Will the current assistant coaches stay on to help? Is Chappell allowed to bring anybody with him?

that's what I was going to ask. I hope they build a good staff around him
jw4914 Wrote:Would like to hear pjdoug and RIUTG's thoughts. Would like to see WC start making some
noise year-in and year-out......

I'm not sure.he probably wouldn't have been my top choice,but seems to be a good man.hopefully they put a good staff around him. who will be defensive coordinator?
TriCountySports Wrote:I hope this is a great hire for Whitley Co. I know Chappell likes to throw the football around, and I like that about him. I guess he's the complete opposite of Black, in that respect.

While I'm pulling for Chappell, I'm still partial to Black. In my opinion, there weren't many people they could have hired that would be better than Black. I hope Chappell turns out to be that person, though.

Everyone has talked about how great of a person he is, and I think it all starts with that. I'm happy for him and his family.

is there a chance Black will be on his staff?
zaga_fan Wrote:I think he's a great guy and a great coach.

Can't judge how good anyone as by how well they do at Perry Central because of the culture there.

We had a QB who went D1 in the ACC and a RB that went D1 at Kentucky before he transferred to play baseball...
but there just wasn't any interest in the program and it's hard to get results there.

I think with the right pieces he could be a long-term coach at Whitley, but he doesn't have the pieces right now. He needs time.

is he bringing any pieces with him?Smile
pjdoug Wrote:is there a chance Black will be on his staff?

I have no idea. They could mess with the continuity of the team, I'd think. I'm sure he'll want to put a staff together as soon as possible, so we could know within the next few weeks or so.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Nope, he's relatively young, he started at Tates Creek in the late 90's - early 2000's before coming to Perry in 2003.

Who is right you or Elmer's Army?
So much for the home run hire. I hope he gets more support than Black got.
Yeah I'm not sure why there's so much support for this hire. He seems to have had a losing record everywhere he's been.
  • 1(current)
  • Next