Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your School's "Mount Rushmore"
bigguy989 Wrote:Cumberland
Football
Bobby Mcqulham
Freddy Maggard
George Massey, Charles Tinsley, Anthony Ravizee and Samford Baskins Hard to split these up.
Pee Wee Clark

Basketball
Lewis Morris
Paul Gafney
Eddie Creech led the team to the sweet 16
John Lewis

Baseball
Lewis Morris
Ottis Lewis
David Shoupe
Jeremy Terry

Just can go back to the 80's but I like the list

I think Maggard may have been the best baseball player I've covered. I'd go with him or Otis Lewis. I'd put Terry on the basketball list instead of baseball, ahead of Creech. Eddie had a great senior year and played as good a regional tournament as I've seen, but he had a much better career in football. Shoupe was the best pure hitter of all those great Cumberland teams.
HDE Wrote:I think Maggard may have been the best baseball player I've covered. I'd go with him or Otis Lewis. I'd put Terry on the basketball list instead of baseball, ahead of Creech. Eddie had a great senior year and played as good a regional tournament as I've seen, but he had a much better career in football. Shoupe was the best pure hitter of all those great Cumberland teams.

Harlan Daily, I was not going to touch this one. But the inference Creech didn't have a great career, just a good senior year, would be innaccurate Id say. Terry was a better scorer and shot a lot more but id argue that Creech had more career assists, rebounds, and blocks while also leading team in scoring 4 straight seasons. Much more than a good senior year. more district crowns and regional champ crowns. Does he belong on the list? I dont know but Terry would not be above him. Terry should be on baseball list Id bet though.
I think I know you HDE maybe wrong. Cawood guy? Cumberland won only regional title in county history?
How in the world did Frazier not win a class A state title with Massey, Ravizee, Tinsley, Baskin, Duckworth, etc? Aside from those guys, they had a great deal of talent and hoss cats that didn't get the notoriety as well. That is rare in this area for so much talent to be on one team.
What about the Cumberland baseball coach? He should probably be at the top of the list, right?
Yes Roger Morris was the best coach in history of Southeastern ky IMO but just left off the coaches. It is hard to put just 4 players in baseball from Cumberland especially in the 80's.
Cordia highschool

Elmer Ray Combs
Rhett Lee Mosley
Clinton Stacy
Marcus Mullins
Roger Morris knew baseball like nobody else in the county or this state. I did not have the opportunity to play for him as I played over the hill but watched him coach years after. Freddie Wayne was best I ever saw. I know I am accurate there, baseball was my sport
Dad Wrote:Harlan Daily, I was not going to touch this one. But the inference Creech didn't have a great career, just a good senior year, would be innaccurate Id say. Terry was a better scorer and shot a lot more but id argue that Creech had more career assists, rebounds, and blocks while also leading team in scoring 4 straight seasons. Much more than a good senior year. more district crowns and regional champ crowns. Does he belong on the list? I dont know but Terry would not be above him. Terry should be on baseball list Id bet though.

I think Eddie would say he had a good career and great senior year. I'm a big Eddie Creech fan, but he was a better football player overall. He's not ahead of Garrett Gregory, Keith Slone, Richard Washington, Derrick Akal and some others, regional championship or not.
For baseball, I'd go Roger Morris, Freddie Maggard, Otis Lewis and David Shoupe
Do not recall saying anything about him being on any list. I disagreed with you putting Terry above him. You can check my post again and correct me if I am wrong. If my argument is not valid to the point I was arguing Id like to hear it. I read this forums but never post. You fellows on here have a great night.dad out
It was brought to my attention I should look at this thread. I would like to clear some things up. This is absurd. Whoever "Dad" is I'd really appreciate you didn't pretend or let on to be Big Ed Creech. He is not the computer type, people who know him (and trust me I do) know he doesn't waste any time on anything like BGR. I'd appreciate you keep the Creech name from any further discussion. Cumberland exists no more. It is all Harlan County. I'd have to agree with HDE's list.
My ultimate Belfry Rushmore would be Haywood, Spinks, Kestner, Howard/Jones as one, with a special spot for Mr. and Mrs. Steve (Brenda) Phillips.
Cumberland Baseball could have a Morris family Mtn. that would tough to dispute:
Vic Morris
Roger Morris
Richie Morris
Lewis Morris
(Cousins Otis and John Lewis as alternates)

Baseball is in the blood.
I think Bill Russell said it best. "Hey, thank you for leaving me off your Mount Rushmore. I’m glad you did. Basketball is a team game, it’s not for individual honors. I won back-to-back state championships in high school, back-to-back NCAA championships in college, I won an NBA championship my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year, and nine in between. That, Mr. James, is etched in stone."
Ole Dad needs to calm down...
if you think you know someone send them a PM.

See below...
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=171030
If you were going to base things on overall success with coaches included heres my Mt. Rushmore.

Randy Napier - All time state leader in wins in girls basketball.
Bobby Keith Dixon - High School Hall of Fame baseball coach. Had several baseball players get drafted and had many excel in college. Many region titles and was maybe the best baseball player to play in Perry County ever.
Kristie Combs - Sweet 16 MVP and State Champion.
Heston Beverly - Class A State MVP and Class A State Champion.

Now you have some people that stand a chance of being put up there but you have to have SUCCESS at winning to get on there. Dont matter how good of athlete you are and what kind of stats you have. Winning is winning.
Justin Johnson - Best athlete to probably walk the halls of Perry Central/Napier/Dilce Combs.
Braxton Beverly - Sky is the limit for him and he still has two more years.
Justin Haddix - Could do something remarkable in a few years coaching football.