Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Your School's "Mount Rushmore"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Since LeBron got on the top 4 and the mount rushmore talk started around the sports nation, let's bring it to BGR.

Let's say that you can use any sport, but I'm going to post it in basketball since it's that season. If your school had a Mount Rushmore, who makes it? Obviously some schools might have more from one sport than another, let's hear it.
Perry Central

John "Punkin" Combs
Heston Beverly
Jason Kelly
Brian "Spuds" Napier
Johnson Central... Boys Basketball, IMO.

Harry Meek (1984), Tommy McKenzie (2000), Joe Taylor (Trainer), Wendell Wallen (Coach)
Someone older and wiser will have to come in, especially if I'm doing every sport, but I came up with

JJ Hylton (basketball), Tony Messer (1st team all state football/all time leading BHS rebounder), David Jones (2x state champ, NFL signee), Kathy Spinks Grizzell (UT Volunteer '87 National Champion, 1984 KHSAA State runner up)

As far as just boys basketball, I was born the year after we last won region. Bucslover68 could probably do a great one though.
Johnson Central... Wrestling

Corey Spencer (2008) 112 lbs. State Champion
- Corey defeated the 3X state champion (Travis Sullivan from Wayne County) in the state finals. At the time, Sullivan held the all-time High School win record as well.

JJ Jude (2011) back to back State Champions in 2010 and 2011.

Bobby VanHoose (1991) Was JC's first ever state wrestling champion.

Ryan Harlow (2009) Won the 2009 Heavyweight state title. (4 of his 5 wins were by fall)
Knott Central

Richard "Buttermilk" Caudill
Raymond Justice
Gerald "The Good Doctor" Combs
June Buchanan
Hazard High School

Chester Rose
Michael Campbell
Jon Walker
Donald "Happy" Mobelini
I graduated from Cawood High School. I would say -

Blake Hubbs - 2,618 points; School's all-time leading scorer
Phil Cox - Mr. Basketball; 2,401 points; Vandy's all-time leading scorer (at one time).
Nick Sanford - 1,893 points; Maybe the best overall player; Scored 4,000+ points at LMU
David Hensley - 1,727 points; Maybe school's best football player

That last one was hard. I got all of those numbers from HDE's website. He definitely knows more about this than I do!

Since it's in the basketball forums, mine is for basketball, but I think this could probably be the overall Mt. Rushmore for Cawood, too.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central... Boys Basketball, IMO.

Harry Meek (1984), Tommy McKenzie (2000), Joe Taylor (Trainer), Wendell Wallen (Coach)

Shane Hall has to be one for JC, he is a main reason JC is the defending back to back 15th region champs. I have to question Joe Taylor in Basketball, don't get me wrong he is a great guy and a JC icon but Joe's a baseball guy.
TriCountySports Wrote:I graduated from Cawood High School. I would say -

Blake Hubbs - 2,618 points; School's all-time leading scorer
Phil Cox - Mr. Basketball; 2,401 points; Vandy's all-time leading scorer (at one time).
Nick Sanford - 1,893 points; Maybe the best overall player; Scored 4,000+ points at LMU
David Hensley - 1,727 points; Maybe school's best football player

That last one was hard. I got all of those numbers from HDE's website. He definitely knows more about this than I do!

Since it's in the basketball forums, mine is for basketball, but I think this could probably be the overall Mt. Rushmore for Cawood, too.

If the three-point shot had been in existence during Cox's career, I've got to believe he would have accumulated over 3,000 points. He was basically in range once the ball was across the center line. Probably the most overlooked great player from the mountains over the years. And a very fine collegian as well.
If they are including athletes from other sports JJ Jude set too many records and played on too many good teams, throw in the fact that he was a 2 time state champ in wrestling he is a no brainer. IMO Willie Blair would need to be there too. IMO he has to be considered the greatest athlete in JC history playing that long in the Big leagues puts him in a class by himself.
Van Hagar Wrote:If the three-point shot had been in existence during Cox's career, I've got to believe he would have accumulated over 3,000 points. He was basically in range once the ball was across the center line. Probably the most overlooked great player from the mountains over the years. And a very fine collegian as well.

He was a little before my time. I actually graduated with Hubbs, so he is the only one I actually watched on the list.

Everyone talks about how good Cox was. He had a great career at Vandy.
KCC
Herbie Stamper
Danny Christian
Coach George Francis
I'm upset that people are taking this thread seriously and not being stupid like I was.
TriCountySports Wrote:He was a little before my time. I actually graduated with Hubbs, so he is the only one I actually watched on the list.

Everyone talks about how good Cox was. He had a great career at Vandy.

If Hubbs' center hadn't given up basketball, Hubbs may have had a few less points but a couple of regional championships.
Hazard--Johnny cox
Jim Rose, Mickey Gibson, Gobel Ridder
Cawood:
Sanford and Cox are locks, both all-staters who went on to great college careers.
I would probably add Greg Coldiron, who was a Kentucky All Star and went on to start at Morehead State University, then had a solid coaching career, including several years at Cawood.
I may add John D. Wilson as the fourth for what he did in turning around the Cawood program in the 1970s. He was recently inducted into the KHSAA Hall of Fame and is a coaching legend in the mountains.
Harlan:
Wah Wah Jones and Charles Thomas are locks.
You could go with coaches Joe Gilly and Mike Jones. The Harlan people love George Francis, who had some great teams in the 60s and 70s.
Jeff Miller, Michael Jones and Todd Cox were standout players in the 80s and 90s who could also be considered. Harlan had great teams in the 1960s but I don't know if one player stood out.
I can't get over how good John D Wilson still looks!! He's got to be 140 years old, but looks better than me.
HDE Wrote:If Hubbs' center hadn't given up basketball, Hubbs may have had a few less points but a couple of regional championships.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's one of his biggest regrets ever! Unfortunately, 15 year olds make stupid decisions based on very bad advice!
Cumberland
Mike Granato - One of state's top scorers in the 1960s who also starred in football
Lewis Morris - Kentucky AP Athlete of the Year in 1985, who went on to play at ETSU, I think.
Paul Gaffney - He was one of several very good players in the 1980s, but what stands out for him is his career as a Harlem Globetrotter
Ralph Roberts - One of the state's most successful coaches who had some of his best years at Cumberland in the 1970s and 1980s.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Shane Hall has to be one for JC, he is a main reason JC is the defending back to back 15th region champs. I have to question Joe Taylor in Basketball, don't get me wrong he is a great guy and a JC icon but Joe's a baseball guy.

You my friend are CRAZY and have NO IDEA what your talking about!!!!! :gtfo:

Joe Taylor was with the 1984, 2000, 2006, 2012 and 2013 regional championship teams.... not too mention all the years when JC couldn't even make it out of the district... He was right there with JRT. You can ask any person who played any sport at JC since 1980... and they will tell you that Joe Taylor was at their match/game. He retired in 2002 and still came to every practice and every game home or away. Trust me.... I had the privlige of being Joe's neighbor from birth. His house is a museum of JC history.

Ask Tommy McKenzie, Mike Castle, Les Trimble, Mark Starns, Johnny Ray Turner or any other JC coach since Joe has been in Kentucky. They will all tell you... Joe Taylor IS NOT just "a baseball guy".
Paintsville Tigers

John Pelphrey
J.R. VanHoose
Bill Mike Runyon
Landon Slone (Just ask him)
Tiger77 Wrote:Paintsville Tigers

John Pelphrey
J.R. VanHoose
Bill Mike Runyon
Landon Slone (Just ask him)

Charlie Adkins
Johnny LeMaster
Joey Couch
Walter Brugh
HDE Wrote:Harlan:
Wah Wah Jones and Charles Thomas are locks.
You could go with coaches Joe Gilly and Mike Jones. The Harlan people love George Francis, who had some great teams in the 60s and 70s.
Jeff Miller, Michael Jones and Todd Cox were standout players in the 80s and 90s who could also be considered. Harlan had great teams in the 1960s but I don't know if one player stood out.

You're too young HDE

You better believe one stood out in the 60s. Maurice Bird was a standout on Harlan's 1969 state tournament team and later stared at Cumberland College. Maurice currently holds the record as the 4th all time leading scorer in Cumberland Basketball history with 1809 points, an average of 17.1 points per game, during his three years with the Cumberland. He is the career leader in rebounds with 1281, an average of 12 per game, and holds the second and third highest season rebounding averages. He led the Indians in rebounding in each of his three seasons from 1971 until 1973 and he also led the team in scoring during the 1972-1973 season.

Another HHS great that is overlooked is Dickie Parsons. Parsons stared at Harlan in 4 sports before playing basketball and baseball at UK. Parsons was the captain of the UK Wildcat basketball team. He also served several years as Adolf Rupp's assistant coach.

A third great is Ernie Trosper, who went on to be a first team All American at Union College.
Allen Central
Johnny Martin
Jeremy Hall
Thomas Jenkins
Shawn Newsome
Buckhorn high school
Timothy Miller
James "slappy" Morris
Student assistant Corey Hoskins
Of course John "the flash" noble
Ok,, which school has Chester the pizza guy? There's your winner.
rojas Wrote:You're too young HDE

You better believe one stood out in the 60s. Maurice Bird was a standout on Harlan's 1969 state tournament team and later stared at Cumberland College. Maurice currently holds the record as the 4th all time leading scorer in Cumberland Basketball history with 1809 points, an average of 17.1 points per game, during his three years with the Cumberland. He is the career leader in rebounds with 1281, an average of 12 per game, and holds the second and third highest season rebounding averages. He led the Indians in rebounding in each of his three seasons from 1971 until 1973 and he also led the team in scoring during the 1972-1973 season.

Another HHS great that is overlooked is Dickie Parsons. Parsons stared at Harlan in 4 sports before playing basketball and baseball at UK. Parsons was the captain of the UK Wildcat basketball team. He also served several years as Adolf Rupp's assistant coach.

A third great is Ernie Trosper, who went on to be a first team All American at Union College.

Yeah, that's a little before my time. I'm good with the mid 70s on.
I have a friend who played for Harlan in the 60s though and he said Byrd really took off AFTER high school and only started one or two years. I've heard some of the others talk about players like Tabb, etc...
Pages: 1 2 3