Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2014
MANTAX man up. If you think you know who I am.
A lot of peoples posts on here make me laugh This is fun
CHARLIE22. No did not win state both years. State runner up senior year. But if we don't play our best athletes on both sides of the ball. We don't get there. I think you are missing the point. Completely different circumstances. In the playoffs we played a darn good football team every game. Not someone good until the 4th game. This playoff now is a joke.
People on here seem to know who I am. But blow smoke. Man up boys
Now that the calendar has turned to 2014 and the winter conditioning program is in full swing, is there any word on how things are going for the new coach. Heard he plans of taking the reins of the offense. Any players changing positions for next year? Have all coaches returned? Just looking for some talk about football during these horrible winter months.
All the coaches are back. It will be interesting to see how they cope with losing a very talented and deep senior class... (e.g. can they afford to continue to platoon? Will some defensive guys switch to the o-line?) Looking forward to spring.
Highlands qb and receivers will be the strength of the offense. Feggins and Venneman were 1st and 3rd as far as total receiving yards last year. Hoge will likely play qb. Likes to run the ball and has a lazer beam arm. He will be exciting to watch.

A couple of Jr. running backs coming back with different styles in the backfield.
O-line is a question mark. Graduated 12 seniors on the o-line - ouch! Dalton is back on the o-line with a lot of experience.

Lost a lot on defense but also have a lot coming back. Gall and Hebel return at DL. Linebackers should be very solid. Defensive backfield has three returning starters (Martin, Urlage, and Abner).
FT Highlands, Cov Cath, ML Collins, Lex Cath and Boyle Co.... Everyone is an after thought hahaha
BlueBirdWarrior Wrote:Highlands qb and receivers will be the strength of the offense. Feggins and Venneman were 1st and 3rd as far as total receiving yards last year. Hoge will likely play qb. Likes to run the ball and has a lazer beam arm. He will be exciting to watch.

A couple of Jr. running backs coming back with different styles in the backfield.
O-line is a question mark. Graduated 12 seniors on the o-line - ouch! Dalton is back on the o-line with a lot of experience.

Lost a lot on defense but also have a lot coming back. Gall and Hebel return at DL. Linebackers should be very solid. Defensive backfield has three returning starters (Martin, Urlage, and Abner).

I hear a lot about this Hoge kid and Feggins. Can you tell me some more about them. You mention Jr. running backs, who are they and what do you mean by different styles? Who are some names to look for on the O line? You mention that Linebackers should be very solid, who plays there? Not been close to the program for numerous years and just enjoy the game of high school football.
mantax Wrote:I hear a lot about this Hoge kid and Feggins. Can you tell me some more about them. You mention Jr. running backs, who are they and what do you mean by different styles? Who are some names to look for on the O line? You mention that Linebackers should be very solid, who plays there? Not been close to the program for numerous years and just enjoy the game of high school football.

Others know better than I but here we go. Feggins is a college body playing high school football. He projects to be a possession type receiver at the next level, but for now he gets behind defenses pretty well. Incredibly strong hands, makes almost every tough catch, and very good body control. He is THE REASON that the Elder/Highlands game was close this year. Had over 200 yards receiving, including at least 6 huge first down catches on 3rd or 4th and long.

Hoge is a very good athlete, very similar to McCoy in build and speed. He, however, has a much stronger and more accurate arm. I was very surprised at how fast the ball gets out of his hand. Not as accurate as Houliston (but who is), but presents a different set of challenges w/ his ability to run.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Others know better than I but here we go. Feggins is a college body playing high school football. He projects to be a possession type receiver at the next level, but for now he gets behind defenses pretty well. Incredibly strong hands, makes almost every tough catch, and very good body control. He is THE REASON that the Elder/Highlands game was close this year. Had over 200 yards receiving, including at least 6 huge first down catches on 3rd or 4th and long.

Hoge is a very good athlete, very similar to McCoy in build and speed. He, however, has a much stronger and more accurate arm. I was very surprised at how fast the ball gets out of his hand. Not as accurate as Houliston (but who is), but presents a different set of challenges w/ his ability to run.
Its funny how all these X NFL sons end up playijng for Highlands. How do they end up there? I know its not recruting, that illegal!
meat loaf Wrote:Its funny how all these X NFL sons end up playijng for Highlands. How do they end up there? I know its not recruting, that illegal!

Ummm perhaps they have a tradition of winning, a top notch football program, elite academics. Perhaps FT Highlands can prep their players to play in the next level. Oh it's also an INDEPENDENCE school district, so they have an open enrollment where everyone pretty much can enroll . Ever thought of those reasons??
My prediction for HHS in 2014. 13-2, another state runner up.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:My prediction for HHS in 2014. 13-2, another state runner up.

I'll agree with the 13-2 but runner up to whom? Just wondering. You think ML Colllins is that good again?
FBfan4life Wrote:Ummm perhaps they have a tradition of winning, a top notch football program, elite academics. Perhaps FT Highlands can prep their players to play in the next level. Oh it's also an INDEPENDENCE school district, so they have an open enrollment where everyone pretty much can enroll . Ever thought of those reasons??

NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:My prediction for HHS in 2014. 13-2, another state runner up.

I'll give you top notch program and nice academics. Don't steal woodfill elementry's thunder, they make ft. Thomas look good. Not open enrollment and in no way are they prepping kids to play at the next level. What does that even mean..... Lol

What they show these kids most the time is, you can bust your butt for three seasons only to get to your senior season and have some kid transfer in and start in front of you.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:I'll give you top notch program and nice academics. Don't steal woodfill elementry's thunder, they make ft. Thomas look good. Not open enrollment and in no way are they prepping kids to play at the next level. What does that even mean..... Lol

What they show these kids most the time is, you can bust your butt for three seasons only to get to your senior season and have some kid transfer in and start in front of you.

Prep athletes to the next level cause they have experience, knowledgeable, passionate coaching staff. And as far as open enrollment, doesn't independence mean open enrollment? No boundaries or district?
FBfan4life Wrote:Prep athletes to the next level cause they have experience, knowledgeable, passionate coaching staff. And as far as open enrollment, doesn't independence mean open enrollment? No boundaries or district?

Open to the city of ft Thomas. Kenton county has opening enrollment. Independent school is almost like a private school. I said almost....don't get all riled up you guys.
Ft Thomas population has had a significant increase last 2-3 years and Highlands has closed their open enrollment 3 years ago ( I think it was 3 years?).
Ft Thomas is a very nice town, with very little crime, great school system, very nice homes, and 5 mins from downtown Cincinnati, and thus many ex athletes move to the city and when they have kids they tend to go to school here. Several current and past Reds and Bengals players live in Ft Thomas. I believe Hoge's mother grew up in Ft Thomas just like the Collingsworth's kids mother did.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:Open to the city of ft Thomas. Kenton county has opening enrollment. Independent school is almost like a private school. I said almost....don't get all riled up you guys.

I particularly don't care about public or private schools. My theory is establish a winning program, surrounds your program with positive boosters, managed your youth and middle school feeder program and you will have a successful teams. I myself is from GCL Moeller and root for Lexington Cath... But I envy what the FT Hghlands, Boyle Co and Cov Cath have done with their program. Year in and year out, they produce on the field. They just win.
sstack Wrote:Ft Thomas is a very nice town, with very little crime, great school system, very nice homes, and 5 mins from downtown Cincinnati, and thus many ex athletes move to the city and when they have kids they tend to go to school here. Several current and past Reds and Bengals players live in Ft Thomas. I believe Hoge's mother grew up in Ft Thomas just like the Collingsworth's kids mother did.

And coming from Cincy, FT Highlands almost has the feel of a " Sub burb ". Especially if you dont want to reside in the city, but works in the city.
sstack Wrote:Ft Thomas is a very nice town, with very little crime, great school system, very nice homes, and 5 mins from downtown Cincinnati, and thus many ex athletes move to the city and when they have kids they tend to go to school here. Several current and past Reds and Bengals players live in Ft Thomas. I believe Hoge's mother grew up in Ft Thomas just like the Collingsworth's kids mother did.

Correct on Collinsworth; incorrect on Hoge. Beau's Mom grew up in Utah I believe. Dad grew up in Idaho. Mom (Toni) moved to N. Ky quite a few years ago. Had lived in Kenton County. When she and Merril got married, they moved to Ft. Thomas, which had nothing to do with where they wanted Beau to play high school football. Beau wasn't even a glimmer in Merril's eye yet. While living in Kenton County, Toni was close friends with another couple, who eventually moved to Ft. Thomas (again for non-football related reasons: they have daughters only). As Toni spent more time in Ft. Thomas with her friends, she decided that if she was going to raise a family she wanted it to be in Ft. Thomas. Of course, when she married Merril, Merril knew just about no one other than Toni and Cris. So with Cris living in Ft. Thomas, Merril had no objection to living in Ft. Thomas. The Hoges lived next door to the Collinsworths for a while until the construction of their home was completed. Don't know the Feggins story, but there is zero truth to any assertion that wanting their sons to play football at Highlands or there was any recruiting had anything to do with the Collinsworths and Hoges living in Ft. Thomas.
FBfan4life Wrote:And coming from Cincy, FT Highlands almost has the feel of a " Sub burb ". Especially if you dont want to reside in the city, but works in the city.

The bolded is spot on. My law office is in downtown Cincinnati. Takes me 7 mins to get to work. Yet when I am home in Ft. Thomas it's like I'm living in some relatively small little city out in the burbs.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:What they show these kids most the time is, you can bust your butt for three seasons only to get to your senior season and have some kid transfer in and start in front of you.

Are you talking about Highlands?

It almost sounds like you are talking about the Walton Verona pipeline on the hill? Smile
Sweet Cake Wrote:Are you talking about Highlands?

It almost sounds like you are talking about the Walton Verona pipeline on the hill? Smile

Funny and true.
You don't have to read NKYfootballfan91 to realize how little he knows about Highlands. No one who can play sits the bench at Highlands. Historically Dale plays too many kids and no one who is worthy to get on the field sits the bench. If there were a transfer the rotation just expands. Bluebird football is very different than Breds basketball where the Moeves kids are clearly taking PT from some St. Therese or St. Joes (Brossart feeeder school) kid who has dreamed of wearing the blue and gold. Same with Sullivan when he came in - there was someone kid who sat and watched him play during his brief time on the hill.
link to source:
http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2014/02...Matters%29
Been kind of quiet here. Anything going on in the Fort? When does spring practice start or do they even have it? Any position changes of note? Who will be calling the offense and what type of offense will they run? How about defensively?
As soon as the boys and girls b-ball teams lose, they start spring ball. Could be starting as soon as Monday afternoon.
They'll be fine, just reload and adapt without Mueller at the helm. I'm not sure they'll have the weapons to win state. Looking forward to seeing how the season unfolds!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi