Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So what do the Birds look like for next year? Lose 30 or so seniors and head coach after winning 6 straight titles. Will they continue to 2-platoon? Lets hear it from those in the know.
QB, and WR's will be very, very strong. RB's I think will be very good with a mix of speed and size. O line ? Obviously the DB's/safties need fixed. D line? Kicking game will be strong if coach lets them kick it deep and stop the goofy squib kick and onside kicks.
the secondary was bad because they were mostly sophmores...theyll get better.
and the birds arent coming off six straight titles.
How does Hergot fit into the scheme of things? He's a big body and can throw but because they seem to have deemed Hoge (sp) as qb could they look to use him defensively?
birdman44 Wrote:the secondary was bad because they were mostly sophmores...theyll get better.

Mostly Soph?

Bardo- Sr
Ullage - Jr
Wrobleski- Sr
Abner- Jr
Martin- Jr

That's who I thought were Highlands starters this year.
birdman44 Wrote:the secondary was bad because they were mostly sophmores...theyll get better.

What????????????? It was my understanding that very few if any sophomores even saw the field, much less were starters. Who were these sophomore DB's that you are speaking of?
They will be strong at WR but not as deep. QB probably Hoge. Have to replace basically the entire O line. A line that averaged close to 270 lbs. Looking at what they have coming back. That O line will be lucky to average 215. A couple good backs. Defense will be the big question again. They just have to let some kids go both ways if they want to win against good teams. And as far as I know. None of those DB's were soph.
my mistake i thought abner and urlage were sophmores
wrobleski was a linebacker though
bo67 Wrote:They will be strong at WR but not as deep. QB probably Hoge. Have to replace basically the entire O line. A line that averaged close to 270 lbs. Looking at what they have coming back. That O line will be lucky to average 215. A couple good backs. Defense will be the big question again. They just have to let some kids go both ways if they want to win against good teams. And as far as I know. None of those DB's were soph.

The bolded will be awesome. Opponents did to our O line this past season what we typically do to our opponent's O lines: out quicked them and got off of their blocks. It will be nice to be able to run counters and traps again, to be able to pull O linemen on roll out passes again, and to be able to get out on LBers and DBs on running plays again. Don't know what O we will run next year but if we are going to continue to man block, we need smaller, quicker, more mobile O linemen than we had this past season.

Correct on the comment about none of the DBs being sophomores. Urlage, Abner, Schadle and Martin were all juniors. Bardo was a senior, as was Wrobleski (although he played LBer about half of the season).
strawberryshakeman Wrote:How does Hergot fit into the scheme of things? He's a big body and can throw but because they seem to have deemed Hoge (sp) as qb could they look to use him defensively?

I think the answer to the Hergott or Hoge question will depend on the type of O the new coach runs. If the O calls for a run oriented QB, then Hoge has a big advantage. If the O calls for a pocket passer oriented QB, then Hoge doesn't have a big advantage over Hergott and a smart decision might be to have Hoge play DB (where he would be outstanding).
Does anyone agree that they might need to start some kids both ways?
bo67 Wrote:Does anyone agree that they might need to start some kids both ways?

I'll let you know after the scrimmage next year. Until then it's just a swag by everyone.
charlie22 Wrote:The bolded will be awesome. Opponents did to our O line this past season what we typically do to our opponent's O lines: out quicked them and got off of their blocks. It will be nice to be able to run counters and traps again, to be able to pull O linemen on roll out passes again, and to be able to get out on LBers and DBs on running plays again. Don't know what O we will run next year but if we are going to continue to man block, we need smaller, quicker, more mobile O linemen than we had this past season.

Correct on the comment about none of the DBs being sophomores. Urlage, Abner, Schadle and Martin were all juniors. Bardo was a senior, as was Wrobleski (although he played LBer about half of the season).

The offense will be the same as McCoy's offense peppered with a much more proficient passing game. If Hoge can stay healthy, they'll do great things including winning at Home against Elder. I would love to see counters as well. On defense, in certain games, they had better prepare their studs for a defensive role as well.
I agree about the players going both ways when needed. Collins had no one going both ways. Then they saw they might be able to pull it out and started playing kids both ways. I only played offense my soph year. But was on punts, KO and KO return. But my Jr and Sr. years. I was never out of the game. And that counts all special teams. I was conditioned to go both ways. And I know these kids are. They had over 90 kids on the team this year. 22 starters. And some non starters on KO. We only had about 50. But about 8 or 9 of us went both ways.
Bad news for one of HHS top returning WR's this week! R. Green has torn his ACL while playing basketball. He was trying to defend his title in track in spring and was due to have a great SR year on the football field. Let's hope for a speedy recovery!
Wasn't Green a senior already?
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Wasn't Green a senior already?

You are right, I was not thinking this morning. But he still had Sr year of track left to try to defend his title, and attempt to set some more school records.
sstack Wrote:Bad news for one of HHS top returning WR's this week! R. Green has torn his ACL while playing basketball. He was trying to defend his title in track in spring and was due to have a great SR year on the football field. Let's hope for a speedy recovery!

I feel bad for Green. Saw him run the 400m in track last year. He was dominant in NKY. I guess he was dominant at the state meet as well. Best of luck for a fast recovery. Good luck to the young man in the future.
I will say Highlands will make the playoffs. But that's all I can say
bo67 Wrote:I will say Highlands will make the playoffs. But that's all I can say

And your analysis means what exactly, standing on the sidelines a few years. Bitter pill for you to swallow obviously, but let it go. Wideouts will be good to go no matter who and how they are coached up.
bo67 Wrote:I agree about the players going both ways when needed. Collins had no one going both ways. Then they saw they might be able to pull it out and started playing kids both ways. I only played offense my soph year. But was on punts, KO and KO return. But my Jr and Sr. years. I was never out of the game. And that counts all special teams. I was conditioned to go both ways. And I know these kids are. They had over 90 kids on the team this year. 22 starters. And some non starters on KO. We only had about 50. But about 8 or 9 of us went both ways.

So with so many players going both ways your junior and senior years, and being in such great condition your junior and senior years, did you win the state championship your junior and senior years?
NKY Fan Wrote:I feel bad for Green. Saw him run the 400m in track last year. He was dominant in NKY. I guess he was dominant at the state meet as well. Best of luck for a fast recovery. Good luck to the young man in the future.

I feel bad for Ryan also. Great young man who, like the rest of the seniors, was pretty upset with the loss in the state game. Then to make it worse, he blows out his knee thus eliminating the chances of running track this Spring.

But he has great parents whom I'm sure will help him come to understand that the disappointments he's experiencing aren't really that big in the grand scheme of life.
NKY Fan Wrote:I feel bad for Green. Saw him run the 400m in track last year. He was dominant in NKY. I guess he was dominant at the state meet as well. Best of luck for a fast recovery. Good luck to the young man in the future.

He was 400M state champion.
Heard some college assistant coaches interested in Highlands job. Hell, why not? I think a new face might do them good.
What is the schedule for 2014?
Wise one Wrote:What is the schedule for 2014?

Should be the same as the past season; second year of two year contracts.
charlie22 Wrote:Should be the same as the past season; second year of two year contracts.

I noticed you said "should be."

What about the Florida team?
When does the season start?
What about the Warren Central or PT games? I remember that when Highlands played Hancock County in 1999 in Ft Thomas, it was supposed to be a two year contract, but when Highlands was supposed to go to Hancock Co for the second year it was bought out. Things like that happen. Will that happen with WC or PT?

Just wondering. Inquisitive mind want to know.
Wise one Wrote:I noticed you said "should be."

What about the Florida team?
When does the season start?
What about the Warren Central or PT games? I remember that when Highlands played Hancock County in 1999 in Ft Thomas, it was supposed to be a two year contract, but when Highlands was supposed to go to Hancock Co for the second year it was bought out. Things like that happen. Will that happen with WC or PT?

Just wondering. Inquisitive mind want to know.

University Christian signed a 2 year contract with both games being at Highlands. WC and PT both signed 2 year contracts. WC will be at WC; PT will be at Highlands. I haven't heard anything about any game being bought out.

Don't know why the season would start any differently (earlier or later) than it did last year.
Now that the coach issue appears to have been settled, what can we expect to see this year? Who will call the offense? If Weinrich, who takes over as the defensive coordinator? Will the Birds continue to 2-platoon with more players than needed on the offensive side of the ball or will they attempt to have more balance of talent on both sides of ball? Will the 2-platoon still be in play, but not to the point where nobody plays both ways at all?
If Weinrich is head coach (yuck) he should stay with defense. He's unable to run a whole team. I say Jason Lynch should be offensive coordinator. He ran the team in 2012 state game and did a great job. He also ran the JV team. Rest of coaches should just do what they were before. If they want to be good. They will have to have kids go both ways. The talent just isn't there to have a defense and an offense. If they did that last year. No one touches them.
Pages: 1 2 3