Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands
73.17%
Collins
26.83%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs Collins 4A State Title
Collins does have some young kids up front that also played in that game last year. They can always run a few extra guys in there if needed. It appears to me that it will be Highlands job to make a push up inside and collins to get on the corners or into the secondary. Secondly it will take Collins from giving up the big plays. I think Collins will win the special teams games and hopefully the TO margin as they have done most of the year. With this being said, I think Collins can do their job.
sstack Wrote:If there is a team in 4A that could take down HHS, it was cov cath.

Lex Catholic gave Highlands a better game in more crucial game than Cov Catholic and should be considered the better team this year. LC was down big at the half, got within 7 late in the game, but lost by less (14 pts) than Cov Cath did in their TWO chances this year to knock Highlands off. CC gets 1-2 chances EVERY YEAR so they should be more competitive and have an advantage over a Lex Cath team that does not face them as much. Congrats Lex Cath for not giving up. Congrats also to Highlands for the excellence in your program.
Not going to make score predictions for this wknd - not my style. Highlands could be the best team in KY esp. after what transpired last wknd. Collins will have to have EVERYTHING go in their favor to have a chance - their first team can hang with any 1st team in KY...no big secret that the conditioning/legs/2nd team will probably determine the game, IMO not the 1st team talent. I hope for an injury-free and better game than last year. Collins in their 4th year has nothing to be ashamed of whatever happens...but I do think they will give Highlands a better/more competitive game this year.
SimpTitan Wrote:Lex Catholic gave Highlands a better game in more crucial game than Cov Catholic and should be considered the better team this year. LC was down big at the half, got within 7 late in the game, but lost by less (14 pts) than Cov Cath did in their TWO chances this year to knock Highlands off. CC gets 1-2 chances EVERY YEAR so they should be more competitive and have an advantage over a Lex Cath team that does not face them as much. Congrats Lex Cath for not giving up. Congrats also to Highlands for the excellence in your program.

I watched both teams in person (LC and CCH) and can tell you CCH is the better team. I am not a CCH fan, just stating the way I saw the games and teams. HHS had a 42-7 half time lead on LC and thought that they would concede the 2nd half and I feel coaches pulled the plug too early and let them make a run, but HHS was clearly the much better team.
Highlands 35
Collins 14
sstack Wrote:I watched both teams in person (LC and CCH) and can tell you CCH is the better team. I am not a CCH fan, just stating the way I saw the games and teams. HHS had a 42-7 half time lead on LC and thought that they would concede the 2nd half and I feel coaches pulled the plug too early and let them make a run, but HHS was clearly the much better team.

I watched Cov Cath on TV vs Beechwood and on Hudl film along with Highlands and Lex Cath. I can watch every play over and over. it's not by much but stats and score and what I saw on film and tv make me give LC the nod over CC this year
I think that having already been to the big dance once before will certainly help Collins. Last year they seemed to be shocked by the big stage and at how good Highlands was. This year they will know what to expect, so I would think that could help them a bit.
mysonis55 Wrote:It might be that the fans are starting to take the winning for granted. That will tend to kill the program. That is because the players will start to feel as though it is not a big deal and they are working for the praise. That is how you motivate kids.

55 brings up a good point which can be true for the underclassmen, however, another motivator is the incentive to "not be" the first team in 7 consecutive years to win a state title.

It will happen, God only knows when. Highlands will lose and a small minority of folks will lose it and say things they shouldn't say haven lost sight of how unprecedented an accomplishment the last "however many" titles has been Confusednicker:.

In the meantime, do know there are plenty of "sound mind and body" Ft. Thomas fans who are mindful, thankful, not arrogant or over confident and understand the hard work and dedication that go into a state title.

Credit the coaches, parents, and players for showing the importance of legacy by example. At the end of last season a Collins fan inquired and asked about how Highlands does so well. And I think it was Charlie22 who provided great insight as to how that happens. I'll be curious to see to what extent Collins has learned from that response.

I'm going to predict the Birds by 2 scores in a knock down drag out with an over under of 70.

Safe travels and enjoy the game!

Note: I have no horse in this race, just respect and appreciate the program as I do many of the programs statewide whose fans, players, and coaches post on BGR.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
This game is easy to pick. Johnson Central with a running clock in the 1st quarter. Everybody knows this is their year. :biggrin:
Highlands just has to many bodies to throw at you. They wear most teams down. Collins is for real and will make this a good game but Highlands depth will carry them.
Highlands will do what the best team in the state would do; Win and Win big. Birds will steamroll Collins and folks will just be left scratchin' their heads. It happened last week and will happen again.
Wow, surprised to see how many votes Collins has gotten. People, you gotta know the birds will win.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Well, it is the week everyone thought it would be. HHS vs. Collins.
Love the way the Gosh Darn Highland Bluebirds just plan on running the clock and Cov. Cath. is still the second best team in the state.
I will tell you guys this and take it for what it is worth.
Last year, I knew what was going to happen. It was the first trip for Collins to the Big Show. They worked hard to get there. They sort of celebrated there accomplishment of the season that day. Things are different this year. Collins is going there to win. They went to win last year but not with the intensity it takes to beat such a great program as HHS. The team is all about Highlands this year and not about the State Finals.
Collins has a new attitude on D and it has been showing. If you bluebirds just think this is poor old collins and we will run the clock then go ahead. But you had better buckle your chin straps cause you have a game coming.
How this game will turn out, I have no idea but, I know one thing for sure and that is Collins will be coming to play.

We've seen it and heard it all before. Bowling Green, Christian County twice, John Hardin, Franklin-Simpson, and Collins last year all were going to bring it. All told they brought 43 points in six years. Now this year Collins is bringing it again after forgetting to bring it last year and you wonder why we come off as a bit cocky? I don't think Highlands is invincible, and I can see the streak ending somewhere in the near future, but I can't see the team that got eviscerated last year being the one to do it. But by all means, bring it. We've been hearing about it for so long that we're curious as to what it looks like.Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
This year more than any is much easier for Highlands fans to attend. The game is Saturday at 3 Bowling Green time, 4 Fort Thomas time. Fans can drive down in the morning and be back by 11 Fort Thomas time. Much easier than say , '09. 2009 Highlands had the late Friday night game which actually started and hour later than schedule due to the game before going into overtime. Highlands game may have started around 9 Bowling Green time. All I know is that our bus pulled into Fort Thomas at around 5:30 Saturday morning. That was a long weekend. Fun one though.
sstack Wrote:Blue1424, I won't have to make the long drive to see a blowout, I can stay home and watch it on-line,lol:biggrin:

Actually have heard a lot of fans state they are not making the long drive for what many are expecting not to be a very competitive game. It is asking a lot of fans to drive that far if they do not have family on the team. I have even been told by some with family on the team that they are not making the trip.

Spirit100 Wrote:55 brings up a good point which can be true for the underclassmen, however, another motivator is the incentive to "not be" the first team in 7 consecutive years to win a state title.

It will happen, God only knows when. Highlands will lose and a small minority of folks will lose it and say things they shouldn't say haven lost sight of how unprecedented an accomplishment the last "however many" titles has been Confusednicker:.

In the meantime, do know there are plenty of "sound mind and body" Ft. Thomas fans who are mindful, thankful, not arrogant or over confident and understand the hard work and dedication that go into a state title.

Credit the coaches, parents, and players for showing the importance of legacy by example. At the end of last season a Collins fan inquired and asked about how Highlands does so well. And I think it was Charlie22 who provided great insight as to how that happens. I'll be curious to see to what extent Collins has learned from that response.
I'm going to predict the Birds by 2 scores in a knock down drag out with an over under of 70.

Safe travels and enjoy the game!

Note: I have no horse in this race, just respect and appreciate the program as I do many of the programs statewide whose fans, players, and coaches post on BGR.

:Thumbs:
mysonis55 Wrote:Wow, surprised to see how many votes Collins has gotten. People, you gotta know the birds will win.

I am suprised also as the vote is now 19-10 in favor of Highlands so much so that I had to go back and read the question which is 'Who wins?' and not 'Who would you like to see win?'

There is no doubt Collins has accomplished much in 4 years and is much improved from last year. And the experience of playing in last years championship will benefit Collins. However, Highlands is a winning machine and has not lost to a KY team since I don't know when. Highlands wins 42-14.
I am not surprised by it being 20-10..I also like the fact that it is an 18.5 spread. People are noticing Collins Football....
I agree that HHHS Football is the poster child of 4A football and winning champioships at any cost is what it is all about. Congrats to all of you bluebirds for your accomplishments and the records you might set. The streak will have to end sometime so this weekend just might be that sometime. Not saying it is going to be but you had better buckle your chin straps cause you are in for a war.
kybred Wrote:I am suprised also as the vote is now 19-10 in favor of Highlands so much so that I had to go back and read the question which is 'Who wins?' and not 'Who would you like to see win?'

There is no doubt Collins has accomplished much in 4 years and is much improved from last year. And the experience of playing in last years championship will benefit Collins. However, Highlands is a winning machine and has not lost to a KY team since I don't know when. Highlands wins 42-14.

So that you will know:

Highlands last loss to a KY team was at Ryle in the last regular season game on Oct. 28, 2010. Ryle won 28-26. Highlands and Ryle played twice in 2010, Highlands won at Highlands on Aug 27, 2010 by 29-14. Highlands record for 2010 was 14-1 while Ryle was 12-2, their other loss was to Trinity in the state semi-finals

The last playoff loss was at Cov Cath on November 11, 2006, by 25-15 in the second round. Cov Cath beat Highlands twice in 2006. Highlands was 7-5 in 2006 and CC was 12-3. BTW, CovCath won the AAA championship that year over Bowlling Green.
I will also tell you that in the 3A finals back in 1977 HHS took down Shelby Co. in a 6-0 in the freezer bowl at EKU. I think temps were in the 20's with blowing snow and windchills around 0.
Hope we aren't going to have that weather.
Wise one Wrote:So that you will know:

Highlands last loss to a KY team was at Ryle in the last regular season game on Oct. 28, 2010. Ryle won 28-26. Highlands and Ryle played twice in 2010, Highlands won at Highlands on Aug 27, 2010 by 29-14. Highlands record for 2010 was 14-1 while Ryle was 12-2, their other loss was to Trinity in the state semi-finals

The last playoff loss was at Cov Cath on November 11, 2006, by 25-15 in the second round. Cov Cath beat Highlands twice in 2006. Highlands was 7-5 in 2006 and CC was 12-3. BTW, CovCath won the AAA championship that year over Bowlling Green.
Dang. Havn't lost to ky team since 2010, last playoff loss 2006. Good tradition and streak. Boy I hope this group isn't feeling the pressure on them to keep such an unheard streak alive.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Dang. Havn't lost to ky team since 2010, last playoff loss 2006. Good tradition and streak. Boy I hope this group isn't feeling the pressure on them to keep such an unheard streak alive.

I'm sure they are, but no more so than the 2012 team, which a lot of these kids also played on. Been there, done that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Calpreps comparison of the 2012 Collins vs 2013 Collins and 2012 Highlands vs 2013 Highlands teams:

[2013] Collins 40, [2012] Collins 22

[2012] Highlands 38, [2013] Highlands 34
Blau Vogel Wrote:Calpreps comparison of the 2012 Collins vs 2013 Collins and 2012 Highlands vs 2013 Highlands teams:

[2013] Collins 40, [2012] Collins 22

[2012] Highlands 38, [2013] Highlands 34

Calpreps predicts Highlands will win this game 41-31.

This Collins team is certainly much better than last year. Last year Collins had a tough time stopping teams on defense, and this year they have given up less than 14 points per game (190 for the season) after giving up nearly 400 points last year. I believe they are much improved on the offensive side of the ball as well, and the addition of Watkins at running back has taken some of the load off of Farris.
FORT THOMAS — On a night when two of his teammates had big receiving numbers, Brandon Hergott was relatively quiet with one reception.

Hergott made the biggest play of the night, though, when his Highlands High School football team needed it the most. Hergott’s return of an onside kickoff deep into Lexington Catholic territory allowed the Bluebirds to put away the game as they beat the host Knights 49-35 in a Class 4A state semifinal Nov. 29 in Lexington.

Highlands (13-1) will face Collins (12-2) in the state championship game 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green.

“It’s going to be cool,” said senior quarterback Drew Houliston. “That’s been our goal. It’s finally here and we have to finish it.”

Hergott finished the Knights after LexCath had closed within seven points at 42-35 with four minutes to play, following a first half in which the Bluebirds had taken a 36-0 lead.

LexCath attempted an onside kick. Hergott picked up the ball on a high hop and sprinted upfield, nearly scoring a touchdown. Senior Zach Harris finished the drive from a yard out with two minutes to go for the final score.

Hergott had scored a touchdown in a similar situation this season. Against LexCath, he took a calculated gamble, because if he hadn’t fielded ball cleanly the Knights could have recovered.

“You never see it,” said Highlands head coach Dale Mueller. “The whole key is to attack the line, attack the ball. Brandon just played it perfectly. He’s such a heads-up athlete. He’s a three-sport athlete that makes good decisions.”

The play of the game appeared to be much earlier, when the Bluebirds had a 36-0 lead four minutes into the second quarter and the rout appeared to be on. Houliston had four TD passes at that point, the last an 86-yard bomb to Alex Veneman, who caught the ball in traffic and midfield and ran untouched the rest of the way. Veneman had three catches for 150 yards on the night. Jenson Feggins had four grabs for 127 yards and a score, and Beau Hoge had a TD grab. Houliston completed 14-of-18 passes for 368 yards on the night.
“We’ve got eight receivers who are real good,” Houliston said. “We’re running new ones out there every time. I feel comfortable with every match-up we got with all of them. You don’t have to focus on one guy. Just being able to go wherever I want with the ball is great.”

After the 86-yard bomb, Highlands went for two to start the running-clock mercy rule, and Harris cashed in on a run play. Changed this year, the magic number to start the clock dropped from 45 to 36, and by rule the clock remained going even as the Knights mounted a furious comeback in the second half. LexCath scored four unanswered touchdowns, the last coming after a successful onside kick attempt with 6:43 to play. The Knights were forced into that decision because of the running-clock rule, and played the entire second half in a hurry-up offense.

“They weren’t out of it (at 36-0),” Mueller said. “It wasn’t fair to LexCath to have a running clock in the state semifinals. If anything, you get to the playoffs, do away with the running clock. It’s not devastating to lose a game.”

Zach Harris finished the game with 94 rushing yards and three TDs, and that crucial two-point run to start the running clock. He enters the state final with 1,000 rushing yards even and 21 TDs.

Houliston has 48 TDs against just two interceptions, and 3,660 passing yards. Counting 11 TDs from Hoge and one from Austin Hergott, Highlands’ 60 passing TDs is a new school record.

Highlands has won 45 straight games against in-state opponents and will look for its seventh consecutive state title. Doing so will give the Bluebirds their 23rd championship and sole possession of first place in the state record books as co-leader Trinity did not reach the 6A final.

“We’re focused every week and we’ll be more focused than we’ve ever been,” Houliston said. “This is it. We’ve won the last six, but that’s in the past. We don’t care about that. For the seniors, it’s the last one. This is the one we want really bad.”

Collins (12-2) has lost to Simon Kenton (23-21) and Central Hardin (36-32) but has rolled through the playoffs with no game closer than 28 points, outscoring opponents by an average of 53-12.

Collins averages nearly 400 yards offense a game, led by Lawson Page, who has 2,872 yards and 34 TDs in the air. Highlands shut out a Page-led offense last season.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...312020114/
Kentucky Football
Tuesday, December 3, 2013

By Greg Shoemaker | Featured Analyst

Dale Mueller looks to lead Highlands to a seventh straight state championship Saturday versus Collins.

This might not go down as the greatest team to ever take the field at Highlands, but it does have the opportunity to be known as the most historic. The Bluebirds are a victory away from a record seventh consecutive state title and a Kentucky best 23rd overall. A veteran squad is about to write their own chapter of the football story in Fort Thomas.

In just the fourth year of its football program Collins made the state championship in 2012. For their efforts the Titans reward was the Highlands Bluebirds, who laid a 47-0 welcoming to the “Big Show” on them. Collins watched as Highlands hoisted their sixth straight title in the air with the hopes that a journey like that was only beginning in Shelbyville. That journey now has the Titans back in the ring for a rematch and a chance to redeem themselves against the Bluebirds. With a veteran cast returning for Collins the “just happy to be here” attitude from a year is now a distant memory. It is time to step up and see how far they have come in 12 months.

COLLINS TITANS (11-3) vs. HIGHLANDS BLUEBIRDS (14-0)
Site: Houchens/LT Smith Stadium, Feix Field (Western Kentucky University)
Kickoff: Friday, December, 7th @ 4:00 p.m. EST
Follow on Twitter @TSFootball, #9fridayfrenzy

PLAYERS TO WATCH: A pair of gunslinging quarterbacks are going to air it out in this affair. Highlands’ senior Drew Houliston and Lawson Page from Collins have combined to throw for 6,696 yards with 85 touchdown tosses and just six interceptions this season. Houliston has thrown for 3,330 yards and 44 scoring strikes.

Highlands’ running back Zach Harris has over 1,000 yards rushing and found the end zone 30 times (21 rushing, nine receiving) in 12 games. The senior has combined to run for 186 yards on 20 carries with five rushing touchdowns in two state championships starts on the Feix Field turf.

Collins multi-purpose threat Deandre Farris is a model of consistency. He enters the state championship game with more than 60 receptions, 970 receiving yards and 16 touchdown catches for a second year in a row.

TEAM TRENDS: This Highlands senior class is 42-2 over the past two seasons. Their only losses were to Elder in 2012 and 2013. The Bluebirds can be scored upon as they are giving up 21.1 points per contest. Despite that fact they still have an average margin of victory of 30.7 points per outing.

Collins has a 28.9 average margin of victory. The Titans only losses were to a pair of Class 6A schools, Simon Kenton (12-1) and Central Hardin (11-2). Five of their last six wins have been against teams with eight, nine, nine, 10 and 11 wins on the year.

COLLINS’ KEYS TO VICTORY: Until the Titans prove they can stop Harris and the Highlands’ rushing attack the night will be difficult. Once Collins gets the Bluebirds into third-and-long situations they must not allow them to convert. Getting the defense off the field as much as possible will present more opportunities for an offense that should be able to put points on the board against Highlands.

HIGHLANDS’ KEYS TO VICTORY: The Bluebirds must avoid falling into the trap that this is going to be easy after shellacking Collins in the finals last fall. The formula for success for this Highlands team is that the run sets up the pass early. In the mid portion of the game the aerial attack can return the favor then watch as Harris and the crew up front wear down Collins late.

HIGHLANDS 42, COLLINS 21

Greg is a co-founder of TSF and is now entering his ninth season as a Featured Analyst for the website. The Xavier University grad also serves as the Content Manager for the website and is widely considered one of the top high school football experts in the region. If you are interested in covering your team, please CONTACT US.
- See more at: http://www.tristatefootball.com/articles...tLkMN.dpuf
The Highlands boys have that chance to make history. They will NOT be denied. Collins is very good, but the Birds will be on a different level and will explode out of the gate, and bury Collins alive.
Because the Birds' D tends to sub out (or in at least one case let up) I looked back to see the scores starting the second half...

v University Christian, up 13-10
v Campbell County, up 22-0
v Bryan Station, up 55-14
v John Hardin. up 20-6
v Paducah Tilghman, up 21-12
v Covington Catholic, up 35-0
v Harrison County, up 42-0
v Holmes, up 57-0
v Elder, 14-14
v Warren Central, up 55-28
v Boyd County, up 56-0
v Ashland Blazer, up 42-0
v Covington Catholic, up 21-6
v Lexington Catholic, up 42-7

Cumulative: 495-69
Average: 35-5

Of the other 36 teams in 4A, only 6 scored more than 495 points this season.

Highlands allowed 230 points in the 2nd half while scoring 230, for an average of 16-16.
'Remember the Titans' will take on a whole new meaning to me if the Collins Titans knock off the 22 time and 6 time consecutive defending KY state champion Highlands Bluebirds. It sounds like a bad movie sequel in the making. I only say bad as a FTH fan.
But if one thinks how far Collins has come in just 4 years and also taking into account last years score in the finals coupled with Collins considered an underdog by most this year, a Collins win has a Hollywood story ending to it.
Is this the year I/we "Remember the Titans"?
I'm sticking with my original prediction of Highlands winning handily and I will definitely remember the 2013 Collins Titans for life if the Titans prevail.
kybred Wrote:'Remember the Titans' will take on a whole new meaning to me if the Collins Titans knock off the 22 time and 6 time consecutive defending KY state champion Highlands Bluebirds. It sounds like a bad movie sequel in the making. I only say bad as a FTH fan.
But if one thinks how far Collins has come in just 4 years and also taking into account last years score in the finals coupled with Collins considered an underdog by most this year, a Collins win has a Hollywood story ending to it.
Is this the year I/we "Remember the Titans"?
I'm sticking with my original prediction of Highlands winning handily and I will definitely remember the 2013 Collins Titans for life if the Titans prevail.

:truestory:
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next