Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands vs Collins 4A State Title
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Highlands and Collins find their way back to a rematch in the State Championship. What does Collins have to do to pull off the upset? Who wins and why?
gamemaster Wrote:Highlands and Collins find their way back to a rematch in the State Championship. What does Collins have to do to pull off the upset? Who wins and why?

Flatten the Bus Tires.................................
Congrats to Collins for your impressive playoff run. It will soon come to an end. HHS will smash you like a ghetto roach.:biggrin: 47-0.
This will be a different Collins team than the one that Highlands played last year. All of those players are now a year older, including the multiple freshman that started in the state championship last year. Collins is also healthy this year. Last year they lost one of their best LB to an ACL tear but he is back this year and is a huge part of their defense. They also had a few other players banged up, but Collins has been almost injury free this year and with all of the playoff games being running clocks they have been able to rest their starters a bit. This team is also much improved, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Last year they gave up huge chunks of yards, not only against Highlands but against everyone. This year Collins has improved leaps and bounds defensively, with a big and quick D-line, very good linebackers, and a tall secondary with lots of speed. Another big difference between last year and this year is Collins doesn't have anyone starting both ways. They will have a few players from offense play defense for a couple of downs but for the most part this year you are either on offense or defense, and that has really helped this team improve.

Highlands will be a huge favorite in this game, and they should. However, I have a feeling things may be a bit different than last year. It seems like one Highlands' weakness is their secondary. Collins has a great QB and set of receivers, so hopefully they will be able to throw the ball against the Bluebirds. Collins also has a very solid running game, and Watkins is a big back who has speed and power. It seems like teams with speed have given Highlands fits this year, and Collins has a lot of it. The defense will have to find a way to slow down the offensive machine of Highlands. Forcing a few turnovers would help out tremendously.

sstack, I hope you don't have to drive all the way to Bowling Green to watch a blowout.
Stardust Wrote:Flatten the Bus Tires.................................

I'm sure someone could arrange that. Confusednicker:
Bluebirds. We don't have any cardinals in this class title but the birds will win.
Blue1424, I won't have to make the long drive to see a blowout, I can stay home and watch it on-line,lol:biggrin:

Actually have heard a lot of fans state they are not making the long drive for what many are expecting not to be a very competitive game. It is asking a lot of fans to drive that far if they do not have family on the team. I have even been told by some with family on the team that they are not making the trip.
Collins may be much improved over 2012, but Highlands knows what is at stake and will come in focused on their last game. It may not be a running clock like last year, but I predict that Collins will once again fail to bring home the big trophy.

And I will be happy with a one point Highlands win.
Blue, I know Collins has had to improve with another year under their belts, but do you think they improved enough and Highlands has dropped off enough to make up a 47-0 difference? I think one big sign is 3 starting sophomores on O line. That usually does not go well for a team. I might be proven wrong, but I see a similar game to last year. One thing Dale tends to do is keep his foot on the gas in the championship games, so we should not see a LC or WC type of run in the 2nd half.
Wow, that's sad that people wouldn't go support their team and possibly see them win a state championship. I do understand it being a long drive and all but I'm sure a team like Belfry who has a 5 hour trip will have no trouble bringing a huge crowd, and I expect Collins to have a big crowd like they did last year. It's going to be an exciting week in Shelbyville. It's not very often that you see a team go to back to back state championships and these boys have earned it. I hope they enjoy every minute of it.

47 points is a lot to make up, but I do think that you will see a different game than last year.
Just my 2 cents this will be a running clock game Dale will not let up until mid 4th Q unlike other games this year.
blue1424 Wrote:Wow, that's sad that people wouldn't go support their team and possibly see them win a state championship. I do understand it being a long drive and all but I'm sure a team like Belfry who has a 5 hour trip will have no trouble bringing a huge crowd, and I expect Collins to have a big crowd like they did last year. It's going to be an exciting week in Shelbyville. It's not very often that you see a team go to back to back state championships [COLOR="rgb(112, 128, 144)"][/COLOR]and these boys have earned it. I hope they enjoy every minute of it.

47 points is a lot to make up, but I do think that you will see a different game than last year.

Or back to back to back to back to back to back to back....
It might be that the fans are starting to take the winning for granted. That will tend to kill the program. That is because the players will start to feel as though it is not a big deal and they are working for the praise. That is how you motivate kids.
Stardust Wrote:Flatten the Bus Tires.................................

Collins defense has not allowed many points this season...if you look at the past 5 games collins has allowed less than 10pts scored and early in the season lost to Simon Kenton by 2pts ..a top ranked 6a program...Highlands is due for a loss and Watkins, Farris, Page, Sames and White are hungry to lead their troops to victory and thats not counting the other impact players they have..they are loaded...Buck Wilson, Chris Jones, Jones twins at corner..shhhhhh Highlands better have a full deck!!! Collins by 9...... 51 to 42
It should be a close one prior to the coin toss.
mysonis55 Wrote:It might be that the fans are starting to take the winning for granted. That will tend to kill the program. That is because the players will start to feel as though it is not a big deal and they are working for the praise. That is how you motivate kids.

A state championship game is a pretty big deal to me. The kids on both teams have been working very hard ever since last December and they deserve all the support they can get. It seems to me the Highlands fan base has become very spoiled. 7 state championship games in a row is simply amazing, and I think that championships may have lost some of their meaning to them.
I would love to see Collins win. I just don't think it will happen.
copperkid Wrote:Collins defense has not allowed many points this season...if you look at the past 5 games collins has allowed less than 10pts scored and early in the season lost to Simon Kenton by 2pts ..a top ranked 6a program...Highlands is due for a loss and Watkins, Farris, Page, Sames and White are hungry to lead their troops to victory and thats not counting the other impact players they have..they are loaded...Buck Wilson, Chris Jones, Jones twins at corner..shhhhhh Highlands better have a full deck!!! Collins by 9...... 51 to 42
You are right about the Collins defense. I believe that the defensive line with Jones and Wilson will be able to pressure Highlands into some mistakes. Watkins has been on fire as well as the passing game. If there is a team in 4A that can take down the birds, it is definitely this Collins team.
The score to start is 0-0, not 47-0.
gamemaster Wrote:You are right about the Collins defense. I believe that the defensive line with Jones and Wilson will be able to pressure Highlands into some mistakes. Watkins has been on fire as well as the passing game. If there is a team in 4A that can take down the birds, it is definitely this Collins team.

If there is a team in 4A that could take down HHS, it was cov cath.
sstack Wrote:If there is a team in 4A that could take down HHS, it was cov cath.

or Highlands, (if you know what I mean, i.e. Warren Central and LC) but I don't think it will be against Collins.

As for the crowd, I may not be there, but many other Alumni will be there. HHS usually has more people at the state championships than they have at home games. I would be surprised if the HHS crowd does not outnumber the Collins crowd.
Wise one Wrote:or Highlands, (if you know what I mean, i.e. Warren Central and LC) but I don't think it will be against Collins.

As for the crowd, I may not be there, but many other Alumni will be there. HHS usually has more people at the state championships than they have at home games. I would be surprised if the HHS crowd does not outnumber the Collins crowd.

The HHS crowd was outnumbered last year.
Highlands top defender left last Fridays game early with an injury (#30, Wybroski). Saw him walking in parking lot in first half with his parents which is usually not a good sign. Hope he is ok to play Saturday, he has been a lot of fun to watch this year, but just has had troubles keeping on the field because of injuries.
Closer than we think Highlands is a good team..Congrates for a great season to both schools Highlands 38 Collins 24.
Much closer than last year. Collins is very good. Highlands by 7.
Well, it is the week everyone thought it would be. HHS vs. Collins.
Love the way the Gosh Darn Highland Bluebirds just plan on running the clock and Cov. Cath. is still the second best team in the state.
I will tell you guys this and take it for what it is worth.
Last year, I knew what was going to happen. It was the first trip for Collins to the Big Show. They worked hard to get there. They sort of celebrated there accomplishment of the season that day. Things are different this year. Collins is going there to win. They went to win last year but not with the intensity it takes to beat such a great program as HHS. The team is all about Highlands this year and not about the State Finals.
Collins has a new attitude on D and it has been showing. If you bluebirds just think this is poor old collins and we will run the clock then go ahead. But you had better buckle your chin straps cause you have a game coming.
How this game will turn out, I have no idea but, I know one thing for sure and that is Collins will be coming to play.
sstack Wrote:If there is a team in 4A that could take down HHS, it was cov cath.

I am sorry sstack. I have always been a god fan of you and the mighty FT Highlands just cause of their tradition and committment to win.. But I'm gonna have to disagree with you and Im sure other Bluebird fans. So you believe Cov Cath is the only one that could have taken down FTH. I understand defense co-ordinator let up on Lex Cath, but I'm sure after Lex Cath scored their 3rd TD point, there was a little panic on the visiting side lines. DC might have not put pressure on Lex Cath QB, but what about linebackers and defensive backs? Seems they got picked apart. Anyways LexCath digged a big hole and could not climb out of it. Great win for FTH.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Well, it is the week everyone thought it would be. HHS vs. Collins.
Love the way the Gosh Darn Highland Bluebirds just plan on running the clock and Cov. Cath. is still the second best team in the state.
I will tell you guys this and take it for what it is worth.
Last year, I knew what was going to happen. It was the first trip for Collins to the Big Show. They worked hard to get there. They sort of celebrated there accomplishment of the season that day. Things are different this year. Collins is going there to win. They went to win last year but not with the intensity it takes to beat such a great program as HHS. The team is all about Highlands this year and not about the State Finals.
Collins has a new attitude on D and it has been showing. If you bluebirds just think this is poor old collins and we will run the clock then go ahead. But you had better buckle your chin straps cause you have a game coming.
How this game will turn out, I have no idea but, I know one thing for sure and that is Collins will be coming to play.

I hope you are right and that it is a good, exciting game. But, that is the same type of talk we heard last year and we know how that game turned out. I predict a 47-14, 47-21, type game. Like I said earlier, I do not believe Dale will let up in this game like he has several times this year, he likes the starters to get the playing time in the championship game, if they stay focused in second half I think the above mentioned scores will be about right. Never know what Dale has planned on Offense, so it will be interesting to see if he goes for the deep passing game like against LC, short underneath passing like in Cov Cath game, or the run game like second half of Cov Cath game. On D I think they will really try to put pressure on the QB with their young O line. Saturday can't get here soon enough.
highlands will win pretty big not sure how big though :Thumbs:
Collins 42-38
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11