Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County 38 Raceland 35
Ramcat77 Wrote:I heard a lot of grumbling going on about this staff during the game on Friday night. I've talked to several former players who have played for Maynard and Salmons and those players had no confidence in the coaches then and I'm not talking about players who never saw the field. I have had conversations with several ex coaches and they ask the same questions I do, where is the hustle, where is the toughness.

I've said it before and I will say it again and again, this coaching staff will gain my respect when they win a toss up game against a team with a winning record.
Agreed. And how long is it gonna take for Salmons/offensive coaches to get a little creative when it comes to play calling on third downs? You can pretty much bank on the fact it's gonna be a screen or a draw when it's long to medium yardage to go. As a fan I pick up on some things like that, and other teams realize that as well. But what do I know, I never played ball at Thomas Moore, Alice Lloyd, Kentucky Christian or a community college.
Lawrence County is a good team. Raceland can only get better from playing this game.
Ramcat77 Wrote:I heard a lot of grumbling going on about this staff during the game on Friday night. I've talked to several former players who have played for Maynard and Salmons and those players had no confidence in the coaches then and I'm not talking about players who never saw the field. I have had conversations with several ex coaches and they ask the same questions I do, where is the hustle, where is the toughness.

I've said it before and I will say it again and again, this coaching staff will gain my respect when they win a toss up game against a team with a winning record.

I think the writing is on the wall, just my opinion but Maynard already coaches his daughter's softball at Russell. The football series ended, possibly more to make a future transition easier when Russell needs a coach. You can't serve 2 masters. How can you be all in for a school in one sport and compete against them in another? You can't. In my opinion he has one foot out the door.
These big games always comes down to controlling the line of scrimmage, turnovers, and big plays. Raceland had a few big plays, but the Bulldogs seemed to have a few more. Lawrence turned it over once, and Raceland did twice. The Bulldogs ran the ball for 4 and 5 yards up the middle all night with the fullback. They made the plays when needed, they created a few turnovers, and they got a few key stops.
voice of reason Wrote:I think the writing is on the wall, just my opinion but Maynard already coaches his daughter's softball at Russell. The football series ended, possibly more to make a future transition easier when Russell needs a coach. You can't serve 2 masters. How can you be all in for a school in one sport and compete against them in another? You can't. In my opinion he has one foot out the door.

Do you know something the rest of us don't. Have you heard anything?
mightydog Wrote:Do you know something the rest of us don't. Have you heard anything?

Nothing definite, just looking at the way things are going. Seriously though, I can understand him wanting to coach his daughters, however asking the Raceland people to be part of and support the Ram family when he is not all in is self-serving and a slap in the face to this Ram family. Either you are all in or not....that is my opinion. When he ask you to support the Rams, is it the Rams or himself? How can you coach against a school you represent regardless of sport? If he were to take the Russell job, how many will feel used? Because that would be the case...in my opinion

Maybe a clause in his contract, anywhere but Russell, then the softball sport, while still not right to the Ram family, would at least keep the feeling of being used to a minimum. If he doesn't agree, then it is obvious. We are not talking about Nick Saban here, everyone is replaceable. He is a good coach, but with this coaching against Raceland in any sport, we need a little assurance of motives.
Maynard coaching his daughter's softball team has nagged at me since I read it. I know there is at least one of the assistant coaches that is coaching his son's little league football team, which I also disagree with. These guys are paid to put the best possible team on the field. As long as Maynard is the head coach at Raceland, I don't think they will ever be anything other than a good football team that wins 10 or 11 games a year. This is my opinion, if you don't like it, don't read it.
Ramcat77 Wrote:Maynard coaching his daughter's softball team has nagged at me since I read it. I know there is at least one of the assistant coaches that is coaching his son's little league football team, which I also disagree with. These guys are paid to put the best possible team on the field. As long as Maynard is the head coach at Raceland, I don't think they will ever be anything other than a good football team that wins 10 or 11 games a year. This is my opinion, if you don't like it, don't read it.

I agree with you, if he wants to coach them....fine, go do it, but asking Raceland families to support a football program with paid coaches while he may coach AGAINST your child while the assistants run practices. It is nothing but self-serving and gives him too many excuses once that job opens to leave. Again, nothing wrong with taking another job, just don't compete against the school you are supposed to represent in any sport. The news article tried to sugarcoat it, either you are all in or out, make up your mind. The paying public and school system that pays the salary deserves no less.
Personally I would be a very happy fan of my team if they won 10-11 games per year.
StrayBullet Wrote:Personally I would be a very happy fan of my team if they won 10-11 games per year.

That is nice, but always beating up cupcakes and losing to equal and naturally... better teams.

Once the road didn't have to go through LCA we have had the horses to at least play for a state title, once anyhow.
Last season at Pikeville was on the coaches....period. I hear the players were not into it,etc but that is the coaches job. These are kids. They were looking at Fairview and got a Buster Douglas KO'ed. Did Maynard take full responsibility for the loss? he may have, I don't know but he should.
This is hilarious.
Odd that his kids play ball in the RF ball system
He lives in Flatwoods and they have gone to Russell schools since the oldest was in kindergarten.

Before he was even hired at Wasteland.

Some of you a reading way to much into this.

TJ is very competitive and will do his best to win no matter where he is. I can assure you he is all in for making the Ams the best football program possible. Anybody that doubts that obviously doesn't know him very well.
Ive never seen Raceland fans feasting on each other like this after a loss. You guys have a great team and outstanding program full of tradition. Be proud!
StrayBullet Wrote:Ive never seen Raceland fans feasting on each other like this after a loss. You guys have a great team and outstanding program full of tradition. Be proud!

Don't console the Ams.

I'm kind of enjoying this.
:pondering:Lane Kiffin needs a job
FBALL Wrote:He lives in Flatwoods and they have gone to Russell schools since the oldest was in kindergarten.

Before he was even hired at Wasteland.

Some of you a reading way to much into this.

TJ is very competitive and will do his best to win no matter where he is. I can assure you he is all in for making the Ams the best football program possible. Anybody that doubts that obviously doesn't know him very well.

That is fine, but he shouldn't be competing against the district that pays him in any sport. He demands loyalty and preaches "family" to the team and supporters, he should be accountable as well.
We don't have to play LCA now, Fairview is down and Pikeville should be a win. There are no excuses this season, for not at least playing for a state title. If you are going to take time away from the team and let assistants run practices, winning is the only cure. If you fail as he flat out cost them the game in Pikeville because McPeak was in his head, then hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" I think the boys work hard enough and deserve 100% in return.
RAMDAD50 Wrote::pondering:Lane Kiffin needs a job

Lane Kiffin falls upwards, look for him to coach the NFL NY Giants Confusednicker:
voice of reason Wrote:That is fine, but he shouldn't be competing against the district that pays him in any sport. He demands loyalty and preaches "family" to the team and supporters, he should be accountable as well.
We don't have to play LCA now, Fairview is down and Pikeville should be a win. There are no excuses this season, for not at least playing for a state title. If you are going to take time away from the team and let assistants run practices, winning is the only cure. If you fail as he flat out cost them the game in Pikeville because McPeak was in his head, then hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" I think the boys work hard enough and deserve 100% in return.

How is helping his daughters little league softball team working against the district that pays him?

Like I said. If you don't believe he gives his all to win then you don't know him very well.
:biglmao:A Russell guy coming to the aid of a Russell guy coaching at Raceland,kind of funny ant it
Well you would be next to nothing without Russell players so I guess a Russell guy as coach and his defender only makes sense.
I was not trying to be a smart ass FBALL,just trying to make lite of a heavy situation.
No matter the school colors I will always defend my friends if need be.
FBALL Wrote:No matter the school colors I will always defend my friends if need be.
As a friend, can you answer whether he has interest in coaching Russell football when Ivan retires?
As a friend I will not speak for him. He is very happy at Raceland is my answer.
Raceland is not very happy with him
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Raceland is not very happy with him

But Really Tell Us How You Really feel Raceland!!!!!!! :popcorn: And really I don't blame you but I wouldn't be to upset losing to LC. I've always had Respect for Raceland and before the season started I said "Well there is a Measuring Stick Game".
FBALL Wrote:Well you would be next to nothing without Russell players so I guess a Russell guy as coach and his defender only makes sense.
Can't blame them really. One program still has a coach who's nothing more than a figure-head while the other just recently snapped a 25 game losing streak. Then again Fairview is an option too.
Those who do not know-talk. Those who know- keep silent.
RamPride Wrote:Those who do not know-talk. Those who know- keep silent.

??? Well those who come on BGR (a free site to talk all things sports) like to talk. That is what this site is for and if we didn't talk about the touchy stuff also then this place would be very boring. I hope if when you say, "those who Know" that you are talking about yourself and if so then I hope you are the coach himself because if not then you don't know anything more then anyone else does. At no point did I see anyone say that any of this is fact.
:thanks::Thumbs::popcorn: