Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region (2013-2014)
^
It still blows my mind that Whitley lost to North Laurel in the first round a couple of years ago. Should have won region that year IMHO.
I say Bell County. Too much Maci Morris.
About the time Roy rebuilt North's program they run him off. He did all the work but did not get to taste the fruits of his labor.
Was told at church that another Knox county starter was leaving this week to go to the city. Does anyone know if this is true? Was told a name but would hate to put it on here and be wrong.
Olred Wrote:Was told at church that another Knox county starter was leaving this week to go to the city. Does anyone know if this is true? Was told a name but would hate to put it on here and be wrong.

Hitters Count seems to have the scoop on what's going on in the girls program maybe can let us in on some of the rumors that are out there.
What is the problem at Knox Central? This used to be one of the best programs in the region.
several good teams and players
What's the latest, practice should have started this week... what's the word from area schools.
E's Army Wrote:What is the problem at Knox Central? This used to be one of the best programs in the region.

Most people in the county believes that the last administration did everything in there power to destroy both basketball programs for reasons I can not figure out. The good news is that our new A D and Superintendent both are Knox Central graduates and in general love Knox Central and want more than anything for the Panthers to be successful in what ever extra curricular activity we participate in. There is a few coaches at the high school that are already feeling some heat. I personally believe that things will change drastically in all sports in the next few years. We have lost to many kids over the years just because the administration did not care.
Knox Central boys should be very good this year.the coaching situation this summer was a huge set back for them. The Girls have been a mess for several years and it will take to straighten them out. The superintendent has been a disaster at his last couple of stops. Good to see him gone.
Quote: I personally believe that things will change drastically in all sports in the next few years. We have lost to many kids over the years just because the administration did not care.

I agree with you Inside, we have two ppl in place that will protect the programs at KC. Some coaches are feeling heat and deservedly so IMO. Being a former player, It pains me to watch us wallow in mediocrity in some sports. It is truly time for a change and I think Mr. Sprinkles and Mr. Canady are leading the way to make sure this happens.
13th Region Top 5

1. Bell
2. Corbin
3. Whitley
4. Harlan County
5. Clay County

Teams to Watch: North Laurel and Barbourville - neither can win it, but they can pull an upset or two.
Look for Bell to take this one. Watched Morris for the first time last season, she's the real deal. There's a difference in NAIA players and Division I, no disrespect to anyone else. Corbin with a lot of upperclassmen. Whitley has talent so no one should sleep on them. After the top 3, Harlan County and Clay County are almost neck and neck to me. Feels like Massingil has been there since the 90's. The Tigers just don't have that inside presence they've had since as long as 2006 but will still win the 49th. Cotton, Robinson, Mathis, and Co. will win ball games. Somewhat young, so I expect them to get back in the coming years.
I think Bell is good, but I don't think Morris can win every game for them. It takes a team in the long run to succeed at the high levels. I think Bell will have it's hands full with people in their own District. They better start praying now that Morris doesn't get injured during the season or it will be a long one. Corbin has a new Coach who has never coached girls before, and who isn't known for his personality. I feel the jury is still out on them. Whitley is going to be better than people think. They have a Senior squad with alot of experience and basketball smarts. Most importantly, they finally have a coach who knows how to utilize the talent he has. I think without injury, they will go far. Harlan Co. is not getting enough credit, they looked real good this summer and have a smart coach. You can never count Clay Co. out, I expect them to pull some upsets against the likes of Bell and Corbin. This is going to be one heck of a season in the 13th.....I can't wait for it to begin!!! :Clap::Cheerlead:popcorn::Thumbs:
Corbin will be just as good as last year... by the end of the year. The experience of the guards will cover any rookie head coach problems. I think j Mac will be fine as the new head coach though. The problem is I do think Whitley and Bell are a little more talented. We will need some breaks like last year to win region. I do think if both Bell and Whitley are both completely healthy, that we match up better with Bell. That is not saying whitley is better than bell it's just me looking at match ups and style of play. I agree Harlan County is over looked. I think Clay may struggle but I also know that they always seem to do better than any doubters (including me). They still have good coaching but it will be interesting to see what he does with no real dominant post. It's going to be REAL interesting after that though. I think a lot of teams are really down.
The reason I think Clay Co. may upset Corbin and Bell is because the games are in Manchester. We all know how hard it is to beat them at home, especially if they consider it a big game. They still have the Robinson girl down low, with another wide body girl that came off the bench last year (sorry don't know her name). Their post won't be that weak IMO. I heard Cotton played AAU at the national level this summer and that had to make her better. So like I said earlier.....don't count them out. Their first game at home is Harlan Co. This should spread a little light on the subject. The CFIT is going to answer a few questions too! Just going to be a good season for girls basketball!:goofy::bball:
Wizzard - The big girl you're referring to is junior Courtney Woods who is 6'+". Robinson is a very solid veteran player. Cotton may be one of the more improved players in the region. Mathis' knee problems are always a question. You're right about maybe pulling some upsets at home for the Lady Tigers. The only problem is, the region isn't in Manchester. Haha
I dont see Corbin beating Whitley this year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont see Corbin beating Whitley this year.

IMO Whitley has as many or more question marks about there coaching hire as Corbin does .
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:The reason I think Clay Co. may upset Corbin and Bell is because the games are in Manchester. We all know how hard it is to beat them at home, especially if they consider it a big game. They still have the Robinson girl down low, with another wide body girl that came off the bench last year (sorry don't know her name). Their post won't be that weak IMO. I heard Cotton played AAU at the national level this summer and that had to make her better. So like I said earlier.....don't count them out. Their first game at home is Harlan Co. This should spread a little light on the subject. The CFIT is going to answer a few questions too! Just going to be a good season for girls basketball!:goofy::bball:

I agree beating Clay at home will be tough. If the Cotton girl has improved Clay will be right in the hunt for the region, they really struggled at guard last year. Really looking forward to the CFIT this should be a great way to start the year. What blows my mind is it took until last year for someone to think about having a tournament to start the year. Great ideal IMO
I don't see an issue with either hire. Corbin's guy is a former college player with about a decade of high school experience. Whitley's hire is a guy who's been coaching at WC for years and years. Why look for a flashy hire who you know nothing about (look at Williamsburg boy's hire a few years ago) when you can get a coach who has experience, experience in your system, who already knows the kids, and the administrators know what to expect. Anyone who thinks these aren't good hires are just looking for something to complain about. Look here at North, we hired a local guy who didn't have to move to take the job. We got a guy who has roots and will help build our program. The payoff will be consistency and long term success.
I think we have a good hire here at Corbin but I just had a problem with the process. I think he will do well this year. I like having someone with Corbin ties and isn't going to leave anytime soon. I think the CFIT will answer a few questions but nothing is important until the end of the season. I just can't wait to start seeing some games again!
I will also add it seems that this season has more excitement than some others. Do you all think it's because so many teams have a chance this season? It could just be me though, I have been known to be a little crazy!
Olred Wrote:I will also add it seems that this season has more excitement than some others. Do you all think it's because so many teams have a chance this season? It could just be me though, I have been known to be a little crazy!

I think there is more excitement this year because there is more balance at the top. Clay had a great run and represented the 13th well but for way to long, I'm sure Clays fans think it was not long enough. But to create excitement more teams have got to be in the hunt. Over the years South and Whitley have had a few good teams and in the last couple years Harlan Co, Bell, and Corbin have been pretty good, but nobody have been as consistent as Clay. If we could get 5 or 6 schools to have good teams every year girls basketball would explode in the 13th.
insideinfo Wrote:IMO Whitley has as many or more question marks about there coaching hire as Corbin does .
The reason I don't feel there is an issue with Whitley coaches is because Jones was the assistant varsity coach for the last couple years. He also coached several of these girls at the lower level and has mainly been a girls coach for years. There is a big difference in coaching girls vs. boys. Whitley's assistant this year has also coached some of their girls at the lower levels. I just think things could be in more turmoil at Corbin. But, I have been wrong before and could be wrong again.:popcorn::pondering:
Take out the consensus top 5 (Bell, Corbin, Whitley, Harlan and Clay) and who are the best picks to be Sleeper teams?

I'm going to say North and Barbourville.....
Who are North's top players?
It's big question marks after the top 5, but I would agree with bville and I think North will be much improved but maybe not to that degree. I like the experience that Barbourville has but they still haven't found a way to take that next step. Any word on the status of the appeal for the transfer from Knox? The key for North to be competitive at ALL is Kayla bruners return from acl and the Lawson's girl development and maybe if Jeff Sheppards girl is ready to add to the mix this season. JagNation any idea how Bruner is looking? Still VERY young though. I think Harlan and Middlesboro has some potential to be good this year as well. I really like some of the young kids at Harlan.
Any idea on when some scrimmages are with 13th region teams?
Olred Wrote:It's big question marks after the top 5, but I would agree with bville and I think North will be much improved but maybe not to that degree. I like the experience that Barbourville has but they still haven't found a way to take that next step. Any word on the status of the appeal for the transfer from Knox? The key for North to be competitive at ALL is Kayla bruners return from acl and the Lawson's girl development and maybe if Jeff Sheppards girl is ready to add to the mix this season. JagNation any idea how Bruner is looking? Still VERY young though. I think Harlan and Middlesboro has some potential to be good this year as well. I really like some of the young kids at Harlan.

She's doing well. I'm sure the rust will show early, but by the end of the year she will be in good shape. As for Lawson, she won't have to have as much pressure on her with Bruner back. I can't imagine a better 8th grade PG than Lawson. And yes I think Sheppard will play some. We are very young, but that just means we have a lot of room to improve.