Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby's fall from northern grace
Observing Wrote:That's NOT what they said when they hired him. And you've got
a really odd fixation on 20 wins
(which all Tubby fans do) 20 wins
a year [which of course come with the obligatory 12-4 losses]
don't mean that much when you can't compete in your conference.
BTW, did you notice that Cal didn' have any Pitino players
for any of his 30 win seasons here? And none of his 30 win teams
got SMOKED out of the NCAA either.

I have a fixation on 20 wins because when you win 20 games year in and year out in my book you're a good coach.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:[Image: http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads...-15-13.gif]

Break it down.
Lol!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dancing with the Tubby.
Westside Wrote:I have a fixation on 20 wins because when you win 20 games year in and year out in my book you're a good coach.

Why is that? Don't you have any other criteria?
Tubby dancing is just awesome.
Of course UK fans are going to bash a coach who had a little character. Some of the comments I have read are beyond ridiculous. I doubt Tubby cares what UK fans or fans in general think about his career. His peers think otherwise.
Observing Wrote:Why is that? Don't you have any other criteria?
How about a 19-9 record this season while playing the #1 ranked Strength of Schedule in the country and a late season win over the nation's top ranked team? How do those criteria strike you? Confusednicker:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How about a 19-9 record this season while playing the #1 ranked Strength of Schedule in the country and a late season win over the nation's top ranked team? How do those criteria strike you? Confusednicker:
I knew this one was coming. :Clap:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I knew this one was coming. :Clap:
Yeah, somebody had to write it. I thought it might as well be me.

Imagine how badly Minnesota might have won if they had a good coach! Confusednicker:

Seriously, Minnesota would have won easily if they had hit a few more of the many wide open 3s that they took. The win was no fluke. Anybody who watched the game could have seen that Minnesota was very well prepared. The Gophers out rebounded, out-defended, and out-hustled the Hoosiers, but Indiana did not play a bad game.
Lol Observing.
Tubby, Tubby, Tubby
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How about a 19-9 record this season while playing the #1 ranked Strength of Schedule in the country and a late season win over the nation's top ranked team? How do those criteria strike you? Confusednicker:

Strike's me as MEDIOCRE. #1 sched. strength my backside.
What a joke. The media loves the Big 10, but it's more than
obvious that they just aren't that much better than everyone
else. They're not the SEC in football, not even close.

And this speaks much more about how Inidana is NOT a #1 team,
than how good UMinn is. As for Tub, he's demonstrated that
blind squirrels find acorns occasionally, doesn't change his
long term performance. And even with this win his team is still
isnt going to have a winning record in conference. AGAIN!

"Snickers" should be reserved for when you're hungry and cranky,
or for those of us listening to poor souls who still insist Tubby's
a good coach.
Tubby was a great coach and he still is. We hold coach's to a higher level at UK though. Is it fair? No. But thats just the way it is. He has won everywhere he has been and will continue to do so. He was a heck of alot better then Billy G. though.
Poor Observing. You had good arguments until the last post. Did Tubby personally insult you somehow?
Observing Wrote:Why is that? Don't you have any other criteria?

Hoot did a good job of answering this for me. Very well stated Hoot.
People can say what they want about Tubby but he is one of the best X's and O's coach in the game. His recruiting isn't up to par but he was a great coach who always showed class at UK. I wish Tubby nothing but the best.
I'm just OBSERVING here, but everytime some morons open their mouth (or in this case type on their keyboard), only idiocy comes out. Though they change their user name, the same dumb posts keep getting proven incorrect every time it's typed!

Sorry people....

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...kK03-tELcQ]
Observing Wrote:Strike's me as MEDIOCRE. #1 sched. strength my backside.
What a joke. The media loves the Big 10, but it's more than
obvious that they just aren't that much better than everyone
else. They're not the SEC in football, not even close.

And this speaks much more about how Inidana is NOT a #1 team,
than how good UMinn is. As for Tub, he's demonstrated that
blind squirrels find acorns occasionally, doesn't change his
long term performance. And even with this win his team is still
isnt going to have a winning record in conference. AGAIN!

"Snickers" should be reserved for when you're hungry and cranky,
or for those of us listening to poor souls who still insist Tubby's
a good coach.
Depending on how the Gophers finish, they are likely to get between a #5 and #7 seed. That means that if Kentucky slips into the tournament, there is a pretty good chance the two teams will be matched against each other in the first or second round.

Minnesota was very impressive against an Indiana team that returned all five starters from last season's team that split with the 2012 NCAA national champions. Minnesota out rebounded Indiana by 13.

I am beginning to suspect that you have no idea what the word mediocre means. Did you try to walk on for one of Tubby's teams and get cut? :biglmao:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Depending on how the Gophers finish, they are likely to get between a #5 and #7 seed. That means that if Kentucky slips into the tournament, there is a pretty good chance the two teams will be matched against each other in the first or second round.

Minnesota was very impressive against an Indiana team that returned all five starters from last season's team that split with the 2012 NCAA national champions. Minnesota out rebounded Indiana by 13.

I am beginning to suspect that you have no idea what the word mediocre means. Did you try to walk on for one of Tubby's teams and get cut? :biglmao:

Oh I've always known the definition of mediocre. Tubby just became
the poster boy for it. It's his picture you see next to the word in Webster's.

And I've been feeling kind of down knowing that UK likely won't
win a game in the NCAA. But you've given me new hope. If we
draw the Gophs, we get a double digit win.
Cat Daddy Wrote:People can say what they want about Tubby but he is one of the best X's and O's coach in the game. His recruiting isn't up to par but he was a great coach who always showed class at UK. I wish Tubby nothing but the best.

See this foolishness all the time. Almost never see anyone give
any supporting evidence for it. While MOUNDS of evidence
to the contrary exits. In fact, about the ONLY thing I've
ever seen anyone post to TRY to defend his x-n-o ability
is the 2nd half of the Duke NCAA game in 98. Down 20
at the half and you decide to press. YEP that took real
freaking GENIUS. Wonder why it didn't occur to him in
the first half BEFORE they got down 20?
It's truly downheartening to see that appalling lack of intelligence that
STILL makes people try to defend Tubby as a great coach.

But in the end the STARK REALITY REMAINS. He came to UK when it
was at a peak of strength, and a decade late he ran away with
the program on the cusp of a losing season had he returned, and
with recruiting in the crapper.

6 years later, despite being hired to return Uminn to glory, he can't finish above .500 in the Big 10. And the Gopher fans want rid of him for the same reasons the
vast majority of UK fans wanted him gone. He's still never
recruited and coached a team to the FF, and at UMinn he has
zero NCAA wins, and remains unlikely to ever get one.

So there you go folks, there's your Hall of Fame coaching genius.
508–220. 0.697%

That is all.
Panther Thunder Wrote:508–220. 0.697%

That is all.
I've never shot fish in a barrel, but I imagine this is what it feels like. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I've never shot fish in a barrel, but I imagine this is what it feels like. :biggrin:

No that would be how Izzo and Matta feel when they see Uminn
on the schedule. Or how most any D-1 coach feels when they
see a recruit narrow his list to Uminn and their school.
Observing Wrote:No that would be how Izzo and Matta feel when they see Uminn
on the schedule. Or how most any D-1 coach feels when they
see a recruit narrow his list to Uminn and their school.
You seem to never tire of being wrong - or are you just a glutton for punishment?

Minnesota - 76
Michigan State - 63

Michigan State - 61
Minnesota - 50

I guess Izzo just felt sorry for Tubby in their first meeting this season and just let Minnesota win. He was obviously just taking it easy on them in the second game too.

"Observing" is an ironic screen name for you to have chosen for yourself. Tubby is +1 in his two meetings with Izzo this season, despite your claims that Tubby is a mediocre coach who is bad with Xs and Os and a horrible recruiter; and Izzo is a great coach who salivates at the prospect of battling Tubby for recruits and loves seeing the Gophers on his team's schedule.

Do your own arguments really make any sense to you? Confusednicker:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You seem to never tire of being wrong - or are you just a glutton for punishment?

Minnesota - 76
Michigan State - 63

Michigan State - 61
Minnesota - 50

I guess Izzo just felt sorry for Tubby in their first meeting this season and just let Minnesota win. He was obviously just taking it easy on them in the second game too.

"Observing" is an ironic screen name for you to have chosen for yourself. Tubby is +1 in his two meetings with Izzo this season, despite your claims that Tubby is a mediocre coach who is bad with Xs and Os and a horrible recruiter; and Izzo is a great coach who salivates at the prospect of battling Tubby for recruits and loves seeing the Gophers on his team's schedule.

Do your own arguments really make any sense to you? Confusednicker:
Careful now, Hoot. You keep debating using facts against his opinions, and he wont want to debate with you anymore :Clap:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Careful now, Hoot. You keep debating using facts against his opinions, and he wont want to debate with you anymore :Clap:
To paraphrase some wise man, he is entitled to his own opinions but not his own facts. Observing talks about cold hard evidence and facts, but he never offers any of them to support his opinions.

He kinda reminds me of President Obama, who has claimed that the economy has turned the corner so many times that it could be a NASCAR driver. :biggrin:
IMO I think Izzo is a little overrated at this point. He had a few years of pure awesome but it's went a little south. I think he can turn it around though. This year Michigan is playing out of their mind. It's actually fun to watch.

My problem with tubby wasn't as much his ability but his style. And that no matter who got recruited you knew it was going to be boring and no player would be able to unleash their potential. Plus no matter what you had elite eight was about as far as you were going to get.

So while he has a fairly good record overall and wins 20 games a season I still would never want him back as a head coach.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.