tired at UK, or he didn't get supported and the racists ran him
off? Somehow I just don't see them stepping forward to admit
they were wrong, even though a 6 year stint at another school
cements it in no uncertain terms.
Oh wait, I think I CAN hear waht they'll be saying. "I'm a UK fan, who
cares about Tubby,...Oh let's forget about the past... those rednecks in
Minnesota never gave him a chance look just look they voted against
Obama,er never mind"
Better watch it, theres Tubby lovers on here.

I for one, would have taken Billy Clyde over Tubby.
Compared to expectations and team, Tubby was a much great dissapointment every single year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Better watch it, theres Tubby lovers on here.

I for one, would have taken Billy Clyde over Tubby.
Compared to expectations and team, Tubby was a much great dissapointment every single year.

Of the two I suppose I'd take Tubby. Either would drive you to drink,
but you'd have to fight BCG for the liquor.
Tubby kicks ass!
I was never a fan of Tubby Smith as a coach. BUT, I believe he is a wonderful person and I KNOW his wife is. When they were in Lexington, Mrs. Smith gave of her time and talents to the community and was always working with different programs in the local elementary schools. She didn't care to get her hands dirty either. I have tremendous respect for her.
Tubby had a 76% winning percentage at UK, averaged over 26 wins (against only 8 losses) and he didnt have Rick's players for all ten years, before you all start throwing that crap out there. Tubby can coach, but its harder to get people to come to Minnesota than it is to UK. And Minnesota is in a much better conference than UK, so winning in the Big Ten is more difficult than winning in the SEC. Im not a Tubby homer, but he wasnt a bad coach. He had the unfortunate distinction of following a UK basketball God, and his teams relied on defense to win, which drove fans crazy. I can remember the fan calling in bitching during his championship season in '98 when they were 21-3 because they werent fun to watch. He won 5 regular season and 5 SEC tournament championships (including a perfect 16-0 season in 2003), a 26 game winning streak, 6 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, and a national title. Yeah thats a terrible record. UK basketball fans are like us Tide football fans. You guys are spoiled. His last couple of seasons at UK were underachieving, but theres no denying he had some fantastic teams at UK. And his team at Minnesota this season is 18-9, which is right on par with Cal's team, with FAR LESS talent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Tubby had a 76% winning percentage at UK, averaged over 26 wins (against only 8 losses) and he didnt have Rick's players for all ten years, before you all start throwing that crap out there. Tubby can coach, but its harder to get people to come to Minnesota than it is to UK. And Minnesota is in a much better conference than UK, so winning in the Big Ten is more difficult than winning in the SEC. Im not a Tubby homer, but he wasnt a bad coach. He had the unfortunate distinction of following a UK basketball God, and his teams relied on defense to win, which drove fans crazy. I can remember the fan calling in bitching during his championship season in '98 when they were 21-3 because they werent fun to watch. He won 5 regular season and 5 SEC tournament championships (including a perfect 16-0 season in 2003), a 26 game winning streak, 6 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite 8's, and a national title. Yeah thats a terrible record. UK basketball fans are like us Tide football fans. You guys are spoiled. His last couple of seasons at UK were underachieving, but theres no denying he had some fantastic teams at UK. And his team at Minnesota this season is 18-9, which is right on par with Cal's team, with FAR LESS talent.

He was also number one several times, than losing to an unranked team. His teams would be the favorites to win a national championship and not even win the SEC. His team would get knocked out by nobodys in the NCAA tourney. And last but not least, the one year he did win, he didnt recruit a single player for that team.

Looking at dissapointment alone, there is no bigger dissapointment than Tubby Smith. Sad part is, we waited for almost 10 years before we realized he couldnt win another.
Tubby is freakin awesome!
This thread is idiotic but I will take the bait...

To say Tubby is a bad coach is ignorant at the highest degree and shows that UK basketball fans are spoiled and unreasonable. You can't deny his stats while coaching here. Yes, he had issues with recruiting but he still seemed to pull off 20 wins every year and was still sending people to the NBA.

Everyone praises Coach Cal but I cannot recall a season when a team of Tubby's was on the "bubble".
Just for the record, I did not say that he was a "bad" coach. I just am not a fan of his style and type of coaching that he did.

I remember seeing Mrs. Smith in a T-shirt that was half blue and half red, whenever we played Georgia that year and their youngest son was point guard on the team. How can you not admire dedication like that?
Smile
i sense a little racism... Confusedhh:
^ I hope your being sarcastic.
Tubby is a good X's and O's coach. No denying that. He wasn't a great recruiter but sometimes he did get good players. The problem was he would allow those great players to play at the talent level they had. Which caused uk to be a boring team to watch.

Losing to UAB that one year was what made me a "tubby hater". The. The following year they lost again to some little team. Then after all they there was the Randolph Morris controversy. I was happy to see him go.

I dont buy thag big 10 is so much better than the SEC. Maybe this year not but consistsntly. Simply put, tubby will never win another title. His teams are usually pretty good but they never have what it takes to take that next step.

Ky fans are spoiled. But more so than that we hate mediocrity. In basketball. With tubby we had 10 years of being mediocre. There were glimpses of greatness. But they were fleeting.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Tubby is a good X's and O's coach. No denying that. He wasn't a great recruiter but sometimes he did get good players. The problem was he would allow those great players to play at the talent level they had. Which caused uk to be a boring team to watch.

Losing to UAB that one year was what made me a "tubby hater". The. The following year they lost again to some little team. Then after all they there was the Randolph Morris controversy. I was happy to see him go.

I dont buy thag big 10 is so much better than the SEC. Maybe this year not but consistsntly. Simply put, tubby will never win another title. His teams are usually pretty good but they never have what it takes to take that next step.

Ky fans are spoiled. But more so than that we hate mediocrity. In basketball. With tubby we had 10 years of being mediocre. There were glimpses of greatness. But they were fleeting.

Tom is not my friend....

Tubby has as many championships at UK as Pitino does. Pitino has more championship losses than Tubby. Pitino had the greast coaching staff in modern history, Tubby had one of the worst.

Givr me Pitino, Billy D and Tubby on a staff!
Oh, quit dreaming. The Big 10 is a far better conference than the SEC. Outside of UF and UK, how many teams have had an Elite 8 in the last 10-15 years?

Ohio State- runner up and an Elite 8 to my knowledge
Michigan State- no stats needed, we know how good they are
Indiana- had a runner up and will probably go far this year.
Wisconsin- I believe they had an least two Elite 8's.
Illinois- had a runner-up and probably more

Outside of UK and UF, I cant remember another Final 4 team. Maybe one of Pearl's UT teams.
LWC Wrote:Tubby has as many championships at UK as Pitino does. Pitino has more championship losses than Tubby. Pitino had the greast coaching staff in modern history, Tubby had one of the worst.

In tubbys 10 years he lost in the second round 4 times. In the 3rd round he lost 2. He lost in the elite 8 3 times. And won the only championship appearance.

When pitino took over he had 6 years of eligibility for the tournament. In those 6 appearance he only lost in the second round 1 time. The other appearances resulted in at least a sweet 16. Not to mention he gave us two of the most memorable uk teams of all time. The untouchables, and the unforgettables.

Tom is not my friend....

I'm not dreaming. I'm just talking about consistency. The past couple years the big 10 has been good. But over all they have good years in and out.

Tom is not my friend....

Actually it's quite easy to deny that Tubby was much of an x and o
guy. For instance, in game adjustments were pretty much non-existent
for the Tubster. If a one guy was going off on the other team, he
rarely got cut off. If a team was killing us from 3 in the first half,
you could rest pretty certain they would be dringin them in the
second half.

Early in his time here, some doofus talking head pointed out
that Tubby liked to call time out right before half time for
the last possession and called great plays to get a score.
Then the throng joined in and all of a sudden that was
Tubby's rep. But for some reason it never seemed to
dawn on them that at the end of the first half, there's
rarely any tenseness on the team because they know
the 2nd half awaits, and the defense is going to be
soft trying to avoid a last second cheap foul.

Then compare it to Tubby's x and o-ig at the end of a
game when a shot was needed. In such situations UK
almost NEVER got off a play or a goods shot, and usually ended
up with whomever had the ball throwing up a bad three.

Myths abounded, and as we see here in these replies,
they are STILL foisted off by people who just will not
admit they were wrong.

And of course the Tubpologist chorus is busy here crying bs
about the Big 10. The man has had SIX YEARS at UMinn, a
school with some basketball history, and has repeated the
same course each year. Empty preseason record and fall
into the abyss once in conference. And while the Big 10
is the best conference this season(though not the world
beater it's portrayed as) the other 5 years have probably
been te weakest period in it's history. It was downright WRETCHED
for a couple of them.

Cold hard reality is that Tubby is a VASTLY OVERRATED mediocrity.
Absolutely UMinn is no UK. But a HOF coach should at least be able
to put together one indusputable NCAA deserving team in 6 years
at a Big 10 program other than maybe PSU or NW. Tubby didn't
because Tubby CAN'T.

And lastly, OF COURSE, the "racism" crap pops up. Tubby's
race prevented him from being objectively evaluated for too
long here because of fear of the baseless charge. And just like
the intellectually bankrupt defenders of our president, when
you point out INDISPUTABLE failings, instead of trying to
defend the defenseless, the kneejerk racists calls fly.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I'm not dreaming. I'm just talking about consistency. The past couple years the big 10 has been good. But over all they have good years in and out.

Historically the Big 10 has been one of the best conferences.
This year they are doubtless the best, though not so
far above as many seem to think. And last year they made
some progress back toward the poiint they are now. But
the 2-3 years prior to that, the Big 10 STUNK ON ICE.
But for some reason the media only seemed to notice that about
the SEC, and to an extent the ACC.
LWC Wrote:Tubby has as many championships at UK as Pitino does. Pitino has more championship losses than Tubby. Pitino had the greast coaching staff in modern history, Tubby had one of the worst.

Had Tubby never lived or breathed Pitino would have his
championship. Had Pitino never existed, it's doubtful Tubby
would ever have gotten a D-1 job.
Minnesota was 9-22 the year before Tubby took over. They have won at least 20 games every year except once during Tubby's reign.
Tubby is the Man!
judgementday Wrote:This thread is idiotic but I will take the bait...

To say Tubby is a bad coach is ignorant at the highest degree and shows that UK basketball fans are spoiled and unreasonable. You can't deny his stats while coaching here. Yes, he had issues with recruiting but he still seemed to pull off 20 wins every year and was still sending people to the NBA.

Everyone praises Coach Cal but I cannot recall a season when a team of Tubby's was on the "bubble".

Corect me if im wrong, but isnt anything BUT a national championship considered a failure?

Tubby was consistent at getting team ranked really high only to fall to bad teams in the tourney, which is the cause of coaching.

Im not spoiled or ignorant. Anyone can see from my post about this season that ive said many times we suck horribly because we couldnt get the talent and without it Cal cant coach.

Tubby was bad. Real bad. Be thankful we have someone who can finally recruit.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:^ I hope your being sarcastic.

Everybody is a racist when they dislike a coach whos black....Same way with Obama. You were a racist if you didnt vote for him, and so on.
Funny thing is, Joker was so bad there was no excuse Confusednicker: Everybody ended up agreeing with me on that one.
There is nothing more boring than watching a Tubby Smith offense.
I would say watching a tubby coached team is a boring as watching paint dry.
Westside Wrote:Minnesota was 9-22 the year before Tubby took over. They have won at least 20 games every year except once during Tubby's reign.

Aside from the fact that that's just WEAK, did you happen to look
at those 20 wins? did you happen to see that in 6 years he's been above
.500 exactly ONCE in big 10 play, in a year when the Big 10 was awful.

Tubby is like water, he seeks his level, and that level is MEDIOCRITY
with a dash of ineptitude in some areas. That's why we underwent
a steady decline under him to the point of becoming irrelevant.
I'm so thankful he left when he did, but sometimes I almost wish
he'd stayed one more year so the enshuing losing recordand non
NIT year might finally have penetrated through the thick skulls
of his apologists.
Tubby was one the the worst coaches in UK history the only coach that was worse was billy Clyde and the only reason he was worse was cause he just could not coach he could recruit good but that's it. Tubbys lone championship came only because anyone could have coached that team. All anyone had to do with that team was just set there and watch they didn't need any coaching. Ricky P had taken care of all the coaching they needed.

Tubby was a joke at UK!!!!!! And now he's a joke at Minn.
Once a fool always a fool.