Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7th Grade Middle School State Tournament
They sound pretty awesome. Do they have any weaknesses?
The seventh grade class at Southern Pulaski has not lost this year or last. The eighth grade class has only lost three games since they started as sixth graders and have won over 100 games.

Their players are all athletic.
They play a swarming, pressure defense and a run and gun, fast breaking offense. They are fun to watch.

Any weakness, I have not seen any.

The eighth grade got down by 15 at Knox Central on Tuesday night and they came by to win by two. If you have ever played at Knox, then you know how difficult that would be.

They have three seventh graders that start both seventh and eighth.
At this time of the year, they do not have to save these three in the seventh grade game, to play eighth, and in the eighth grade they are not tired from already playing a game. It would seem they will only get stronger.
Southern takes down an over matched Wolfe Co. team 68-8. The coaches pulled off the press at the end of the first Qtr. and cruised home from there. Very impressive first outing for the Warriors.
This tournament seems to be a nice competitive opportunity for teams, but seems like to me it is a private organization taking advantage of middle schools. There is no organization and it's a roll of the dice who you play everyday.
IMO this is a moneymaker that could care less for the state of middle school basketball. One would think that this "basketball" state would have an organization like kymsfa but they don't, and it is awful. Football will surpass basketball in this state.
Cardfan1 Wrote:This tournament seems to be a nice competitive opportunity for teams, but seems like to me it is a private organization taking advantage of middle schools. There is no organization and it's a roll of the dice who you play everyday.
IMO this is a moneymaker that could care less for the state of middle school basketball. One would think that this "basketball" state would have an organization like kymsfa but they don't, and it is awful. Football will surpass basketball in this state.

I believe that you are incorrect.

They did a fantastic job over the last two days reorganizing the tournament following all of the teams who forfeited due to the weather.

Keep up the great work.

Looking forward to the Sweet 16 in the morning.
Looked on kba's site but could not find a bracket for the tournament, anyone have one they can post? Sounds like my cards are playing well.
wc card Wrote:Looked on kba's site but could not find a bracket for the tournament, anyone have one they can post? Sounds like my cards are playing well.

I know that one region that plays at 8:30AM on Sunday is Elkhorn vs. Paris and Meece vs. Oldham County.

Another region plays its Sweet 16 games at 8:30AM and the other 2 regions play at 9:40AM.

The Elite 8, Final Four, and Championships follow as well as the silver championship for those teams in the Sweet 16 who lose at 8:30AM or 9:40AM on Sunday.
bball_fan Wrote:LOADED! Maybe the best mountain team in years, on the level of the Betsy Layne, Virgie and Johnson County teams of a few years back.

I heard Johnson County has a few good players. Also heard Scott County beat them by 2 in OT tonight. From the way it was described to me, it sounded like a heck of a game!
Cardfan1 Wrote:This tournament seems to be a nice competitive opportunity for teams, but seems like to me it is a private organization taking advantage of middle schools. There is no organization and it's a roll of the dice who you play everyday.

kymsfa is the money racket, jmo
I think both are but at least football has some organization.
Who won between Southern Pulaski and Meece Middle in the final?
Congrats to Knox County and Whitley County for making it to the Final Four.

Elkhorn ended up with 5th place.
Do the middle schools get a cut of the gate from this tournament? Nope is your answer on that. Does kba put together an all-star team for these kids to participate in? Nope is your answer on that.
Seems to me all you get is someone to draw out a bracket, take fans money and hire rec league officials.

Some may question kymsfa but compared kba it's a professional organization.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Do the middle schools get a cut of the gate from this tournament? Nope is your answer on that. Does kba put together an all-star team for these kids to participate in? Nope is your answer on that.
Seems to me all you get is someone to draw out a bracket, take fans money and hire rec league officials.

Some may question kymsfa but compared kba it's a professional organization.

These were high school officials in this tournament. I have seen many of them referee in the Lexington Metro area.

Think about what you write before you make a blanket statement like that.
William Muney Wrote:I think both are but at least football has some organization.

You know what your getting with the kba . Seem to me kmsfa kind of makes it up as you go.
Found it.

Final

Southern Pulaski 42
Meece Middle 30

http://kentucky-basketball-academy.ezlea...-Four.aspx
All of them are hs officials? Really? Really? Your statement was as blanket as mine. No way high school coaches would tolerate some of those jokers.
Sorry if I offended some of you talking about kba. In MY EXPERIENCE the ms football side seems more concerned with the well being of the development of ms football.
Cardfan1 Wrote:All of them are hs officials? Really? Really? Your statement was as blanket as mine. No way high school coaches would tolerate some of those jokers.

Which refs are you referring to?

I knew about 3 or 4 from past experience. They did an excellent job.
Question that surfaced during the tournament for Southern Pulaski:

What are the dates-of-birth for Danny Butt, Logan Dykes, and Steven Fitzgerald?
Cardfan1 Wrote:All of them are hs officials? Really? Really? Your statement was as blanket as mine. No way high school coaches would tolerate some of those jokers.
Sorry if I offended some of you talking about kba. In MY EXPERIENCE the ms football side seems more concerned with the well being of the development of ms football.

I seen several games at the KBA at this tournament and was very impressed with all officials. I didn't see anything that would make you say a statement like this. Was you even at this event? Or are you one of those people that can't be pleased? I even over heard a fan talking to an official and asked the official if he was from the London area because he seen him calling high school games there. Honestly, I didn't even hear any coaches complaining, parents,,,,, well they are parents enough said. You should attend next weekends event card and see first hand about what your complaining about.:Thumbs:
Two guys we had were so young they could have never have been more than a kba official. There was one guy who may have been a hs official until every coach blackballed him. This old fella probably called 10 technicals: I saw 6 in the 4 games we played.

Leave those kids alone. They are the right age. We've been trying to beat them since they were babies. Others need to work harder.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Two guys we had were so young they could have never have been more than a kba official. There was one guy who may have been a hs official until every coach blackballed him. This old fella probably called 10 technicals: I saw 6 in the 4 games we played.

Leave those kids alone. They are the right age. We've been trying to beat them since they were babies. Others need to work harder.

Complain about the refs and then you can't even answer a question about the age of those three players.

I would say 15 but I am sure that I would be wrong.

14?

What are their birth dates?

My son is a 7th grader and he was born in April, 2000 and is already 5' 8". No way he can compete with those 3 teenagers.

These players had to have been born in 1997 or 1998.
Will they be 19 before aug 1 of their senior year? That is the only date that is important!!!

Who won 3rd place?
William Muney Wrote:Will they be 19 before aug 1 of their senior year? That is the only date that is important!!!

Who won 3rd place?

If we had their birth dates, then we would know that information.

I do not believe they intended to play a 3rd place game.
In July, 2008, Butt and Fitzgerald were playing in a 10U baseball tournament.

That puts them at around 14 or 15.

In 2008, my 7th grader was 8 years old and playing 8U ball.

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...castle-6-2

The game started off with Lake Cumberland’s Jake Johnson reaching first on a Rock fielding error and Danny Butt reaching base on a single. Logan Ramsey grounded out back to the pitcher to score Johnson. Steven Fitzgerald reached base on an infield single to score Butt to give the local team a 2-0 lead after one.
I was there this weekend. Watched games I had no dog in too ,and well the officiating still was very questionable. Won't be there next weekend, sorry.
Two of those mentioned played football which has an organizing body and requires birth certificates and verified rosters by principals. Meaning they will not turn 19 before August first or 15 before August 1st in 8th grade.

Don't know the exact dates
Cardfan1 Wrote:Two of those mentioned played football which has an organizing body and requires birth certificates and verified rosters by principals. Meaning they will not turn 19 before August first or 15 before August 1st in 8th grade.

Don't know the exact dates

I was told that 2 of them are 14 and one of them is already 15.

Is that true?
Very possible as long as they are not 19 before aug 1st sr. Year.
They can read rule books in this area.