Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Somerset Schedule
Norm Peterson Wrote:I think Somerset is way better than Southwestern. I'm not so sure about Pulaski. The Maroons will still be young this season but with that game being early they will actually be more experienced at a lot of spots than the Jumpers. The Maroons played a lot of young players last season so, while they may be young, they will have some experience. Also Somerset's defense will have to take a step back, at least early in the season, this year. Pulaski can put up some points. I think that game will be a tossup.

Norm, I agree Somerset will be better than Southwestern. I think the Somerset vs. Pulaski Co. game will be a High Scoring ball game and a very close Game. I know Somerset will be able to Score and I can see where the Def. has most parts to be Good. Looking FWD. to the Season.
Hazard playes Pikeville in the Pike Co Bowl so that should put Belfry against Somerset at Belfry.
ballboy Wrote:Hazard playes Pikeville in the Pike Co Bowl so that should put Belfry against Somerset at Belfry.

Last time the Jumpers visited the CAM it was a great ball game... Even if they fell short by 5 points. Somerset will be dynamite offensively this year and still very good defensively. Should be a hard hitting fun game to watch, if the Jumpers can match Belfry's physicality in this ball game I look for it to be close either way. The Jumpers will be anchored by a group of seniors that have been starting (for the most part) since they were sophomores... There aren't a whole lot of games that prepare you to play in a bowl at what I consider to be the nicest stadium in the state of Kentucky (facility wise anyway, we all know the Belfry fans can wreak havoc on opposing fans and players). The contract dispute notwithstanding in this ball game I think it will be a great early season test for both ball clubs win lose or draw on the Jumpers part.
I'm looking very forward to seeing a rematch between somerset and middlesboro it was a very good game last year. How many starters did somerset loose
Somerset lost 4 Studs on Def. Slaughter, Williams, Mcgargel and Smith, 2 of these played Off. Williams and Slaughter. But Somerset will be Loaded again and this should be a Very Good Football Game.
RisingJackets Wrote:I'm looking very forward to seeing a rematch between somerset and middlesboro it was a very good game last year. How many starters did somerset loose

Jumpers lost some talented Seniors from last year no doubt, but the backbone of this Jumper team has been the class of 2014. Somerset will return a TON of senior talent this year and should be able to score in bunches. Defensively they will be very good, possibly not as good as last year but a very good high school defense. Somerset will cause matchup problems offensively on the edges with 4.4 speed in Cam Cheveraunt, 4.5 speed with Will Lange, Addison Thompson with 4.6 speed, and newcomer Jordan Doan is really going to impress some people this fall. Castle Hatcher will also be a year older at QB, and he may be one of the best in 2a, possibly the best QB in the state from a team not named Trinity/Highlands by the time he reaches his Junior/Senior seasons. Up front they're going to have the best offensive line since the 2010 state runner up team. This team will once again be in contention to represent the east for the 2a state title game. While I agree that Middlesboro has gotten significantly better (and I do believe they may come in 2nd in the district this year) It is difficult to play outside the unfriendly confinds of the crater, and they play the Jumpers at the patch this coming season. In two years Middlesboro will be the team to beat in the district however with all of the Junior talent they have this coming year.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Jumpers lost some talented Seniors from last year no doubt, but the backbone of this Jumper team has been the class of 2014. Somerset will return a TON of senior talent this year and should be able to score in bunches. Defensively they will be very good, possibly not as good as last year but a very good high school defense. Somerset will cause matchup problems offensively on the edges with 4.4 speed in Cam Cheveraunt, 4.5 speed with Will Lange, Addison Thompson with 4.6 speed, and newcomer Jordan Doan is really going to impress some people this fall. Castle Hatcher will also be a year older at QB, and he may be one of the best in 2a, possibly the best QB in the state from a team not named Trinity/Highlands by the time he reaches his Junior/Senior seasons. Up front they're going to have the best offensive line since the 2010 state runner up team. This team will once again be in contention to represent the east for the 2a state title game. While I agree that Middlesboro has gotten significantly better (and I do believe they may come in 2nd in the district this year) It is difficult to play outside the unfriendly confinds of the crater, and they play the Jumpers at the patch this coming season. In two years Middlesboro will be the team to beat in the district however with all of the Junior talent they have this coming year.

Sounds like a lot of pressure on the coach to win with all that talent.
HAT51 Wrote:Sounds like a lot of pressure on the coach to win with all that talent.

No Pressure, 4 straight Dist, Titles, 4 straight Regional Titles. Just need to take next Step and play on Carpet and Win.lol
It might kill coach Lucas if he gets to semi state one more year and doesnt atleast get to the state game.. It took it hard after the loss to NCC last year
JumperPride1 Wrote:Jumpers lost some talented Seniors from last year no doubt, but the backbone of this Jumper team has been the class of 2014. Somerset will return a TON of senior talent this year and should be able to score in bunches. Defensively they will be very good, possibly not as good as last year but a very good high school defense. Somerset will cause matchup problems offensively on the edges with 4.4 speed in Cam Cheveraunt, 4.5 speed with Will Lange, Addison Thompson with 4.6 speed, and newcomer Jordan Doan is really going to impress some people this fall. Castle Hatcher will also be a year older at QB, and he may be one of the best in 2a, possibly the best QB in the state from a team not named Trinity/Highlands by the time he reaches his Junior/Senior seasons. Up front they're going to have the best offensive line since the 2010 state runner up team. This team will once again be in contention to represent the east for the 2a state title game. While I agree that Middlesboro has gotten significantly better (and I do believe they may come in 2nd in the district this year) It is difficult to play outside the unfriendly confinds of the crater, and they play the Jumpers at the patch this coming season. In two years Middlesboro will be the team to beat in the district however with all of the Junior talent they have this coming year.

I think the offense will be way better than last season. The defense will definitley take a step back. There's no way that you lose two D-I players and replace them with someone as good. However, I think the offensive improvement will more than offset the losses on defense. I'm not seeing the offensive line being better this season. They have to replace 3 starters in the interior 5 plus Williams at tight end. That's 4 out of 6 positions that will have new starters. Skidmore and Perdue are two big pieces to return but I don't think you can expect to plug in 4 new starters and be improved--especially early in the season. The good thing is with the speed the Jumpers have they don't have to have a physically dominant line. Coach Perkins always does a great job and I'm sure he'll turn the line into an asset instead of a question mark. Who will be the 4 new starters?
Norm Peterson Wrote:I think the offense will be way better than last season. The defense will definitley take a step back. There's no way that you lose two D-I players and replace them with someone as good. However, I think the offensive improvement will more than offset the losses on defense. I'm not seeing the offensive line being better this season. They have to replace 3 starters in the interior 5 plus Williams at tight end. That's 4 out of 6 positions that will have new starters. Skidmore and Perdue are two big pieces to return but I don't think you can expect to plug in 4 new starters and be improved--especially early in the season. The good thing is with the speed the Jumpers have they don't have to have a physically dominant line. Coach Perkins always does a great job and I'm sure he'll turn the line into an asset instead of a question mark. Who will be the 4 new starters?

Coach Doan's other son, at one of the guards I'm assuming. Coomer at the tight end who played a lot last year. Mcguffey at one of the other guards or tackle. And Hayden Fox in there somewhere.. They will be behind but by the end of the year it wont be much if not better. Skidmore will be the anchor with out a doubt. We've not had a body on the line like his since Billy Roberts who played a successful college career.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:Coach Doan's other son, at one of the guards I'm assuming. Coomer at the tight end who played a lot last year. Mcguffey at one of the other guards or tackle. And Hayden Fox in there somewhere.. They will be behind but by the end of the year it wont be much if not better. Skidmore will be the anchor with out a doubt. We've not had a body on the line like his since Billy Roberts who played a successful college career.

Is McGuffey back at Somerset? I hadn't heard that. He will be a big help on the line. I had forgotten about Coomer as well, he'll be a nice replacement for Williams.
Norm Peterson Wrote:I think the offense will be way better than last season. The defense will definitley take a step back. There's no way that you lose two D-I players and replace them with someone as good. However, I think the offensive improvement will more than offset the losses on defense. I'm not seeing the offensive line being better this season. They have to replace 3 starters in the interior 5 plus Williams at tight end. That's 4 out of 6 positions that will have new starters. Skidmore and Perdue are two big pieces to return but I don't think you can expect to plug in 4 new starters and be improved--especially early in the season. The good thing is with the speed the Jumpers have they don't have to have a physically dominant line. Coach Perkins always does a great job and I'm sure he'll turn the line into an asset instead of a question mark. Who will be the 4 new starters?

I can assure you... The o-line is going to be very good Norm. If there is one person not to question about this issue it would be me Smile
Jumper Pride, what do you know about O line?!?! LOL!!!

Anyways, to chime in on a few things, personally I can't speak of how good the line is but I can speak to the fact that they are the strongest kids we have put on the field as a group in my short time here! We will average 300+ pound bench and 500+ pound squat across the front line. I believe we have great offensive line coach's that will get them where they need to be technique wise. You have to add Bailey McEnroe in the mix as he is the strongest kid we have. McEnroe is also very athletic. As far as the defense is concerned I think we will be much stronger in one area and thats at the DB spot. Linebackers will be very experienced and solid as well. The loss of Bridge, Tyler, Tyson, Tevin and Will Hinton will be felt but we have very good players that will step up and IMHO one of the best young D coordinators in the state!
Briar jumper bd Wrote:Jumper Pride, what do you know about O line?!?! LOL!!!

Anyways, to chime in on a few things, personally I can't speak of how good the line is but I can speak to the fact that they are the strongest kids we have put on the field as a group in my short time here! We will average 300+ pound bench and 500+ pound squat across the front line. I believe we have great offensive line coach's that will get them where they need to be technique wise. You have to add Bailey McEnroe in the mix as he is the strongest kid we have. McEnroe is also very athletic. As far as the defense is concerned I think we will be much stronger in one area and thats at the DB spot. Linebackers will be very experienced and solid as well. The loss of Bridge, Tyler, Tyson, Tevin and Will Hinton will be felt but we have very good players that will step up and IMHO one of the best young D coordinators in the state!

That's gonna go to his head man!!!
All of your stats crack me up! "We got this and we got that". What you didn't get last year was a state championship and we'll see how far your talk goes this year! (Probably the same as last year). I'm glad you feel excited for your team but bring them to Northern Ky and watch them get beat and out coached week after week.
I think you guys are getting a little over your head if these guys are as good as you're saying then you should have no problem but I don't see them being as spectacular as you guys are saying. As far as 40 times middlesboro has at least 4 backs that run at least a 4.6
RisingJackets Wrote:I think you guys are getting a little over your head if these guys are as good as you're saying then you should have no problem but I don't see them being as spectacular as you guys are saying. As far as 40 times middlesboro has at least 4 backs that run at least a 4.6

Good Luck... You still have to have a hole...
RisingJackets Wrote:I think you guys are getting a little over your head if these guys are as good as you're saying then you should have no problem but I don't see them being as spectacular as you guys are saying. As far as 40 times middlesboro has at least 4 backs that run at least a 4.6

This could be one of the more talented teams in the past 20 years at Somerset. Senior class and Sophomore class both won state championships as 8th graders. Most of the Seniors on this team have been big time contributors since their Freshman and Sophomore years. Almost all of the skill positions are back. I think the Jumpers are in for another impressive season.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:All of your stats crack me up! "We got this and we got that". What you didn't get last year was a state championship and we'll see how far your talk goes this year! (Probably the same as last year). I'm glad you feel excited for your team but bring them to Northern Ky and watch them get beat and out coached week after week.

Oh great. Another nky arrogant yank. Their fans sure stick to the same profile.

I know your talent isn't any better, however I'm not going to argue that we werent outcoached last season.

And for those asking, McGuffey is back at Somerset and has already been cleared.
Dumpster Diving Wrote:Oh great. Another nky arrogant yank. Their fans sure stick to the same profile.

I know your talent isn't any better, however I'm not going to argue that we werent outcoached last season.

And for those asking, McGuffey is back at Somerset and has already been cleared.

Glad to hear it. He'll be a big help on the offensive line.
Can't wait for the game guys. Hopefully we can close out unlike last year.
RisingJackets Wrote:Can't wait for the game guys. Hopefully we can close out unlike last year.

In two years you'll have your shot, but not this year. District will be tough once again.
JumperPride1 Wrote:In two years you'll have your shot, but not this year. District will be tough once again.

This is best 2A District in the State from top to bottom. Somerset, Danville, Lex. Christian and Middlesboro. Middlesboro will be much improved but must come to Briar Patch. All Dist. Teams will be good. Looking FWD. to the Season.
Where did McGuffey go to school last year?
McGuffey played at Lincoln County last year.
You obviously don't know the talent on middlesboro. Middlesboro had 22 sophomores on the team last year. They only lost one starter. A score in under the final minute of the game beat middlesboro last year when the two teams played. So I think our chance may be this year after this sophomore class leaves middlesboro will not even be able to compete.
RisingJackets Wrote:You obviously don't know the talent on middlesboro. Middlesboro had 22 sophomores on the team last year. They only lost one starter. A score in under the final minute of the game beat middlesboro last year when the two teams played. So I think our chance may be this year after this sophomore class leaves middlesboro will not even be able to compete.

I'm very well aware of your sophomore, now junior class. Somerset, however, is anchored by a similar class except they are seniors to be. The vast majority of the Somerset's returners have been starting since they were sophomores. You don't have to lecture me on last years ball game, I was there. I wish you guys nothing but the best, but outside of the crater that you play in you don't beat the Jumpers in THIS PARTICULAR YEAR. Somerset returns 95% of their offensive production, they're gonna be very good on that side of the football and no slouch defensively. Somerset was very heavily penalized in the game at Middlesboro, and played quite possibly their worst game of the season and still came out with a win. Food for thought I suppose. All that said, I do agree that the sophomore class from this past season is a very good group, but its not enough to beat a loaded senior class that the Jumpers will have this season.
RisingJackets Wrote:You obviously don't know the talent on middlesboro. Middlesboro had 22 sophomores on the team last year. They only lost one starter. A score in under the final minute of the game beat middlesboro last year when the two teams played. So I think our chance may be this year after this sophomore class leaves middlesboro will not even be able to compete.

If you're looking for someone to agree with you on this point you should probably check a misguided Middlesboro thread. This one is all purple and gold.
I don't need any of you guys to agree with me. I just don't see how you can set and tell me that this isn't middlesboro's year. You have a big surprise ahead of you all of you.