Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(9) Duke 75 - (3) Kentucky 68
I think they said Coach K is now 5-1 vs. UK.
^ and 2-0 against Cal
if Kyle cant start getting open and make shoots,this team wont go far..seemed like most there points came off dunks,not from beyond 12ft..
It's the second game of the season.
^ It's Kentucky fans. This is a shock??????
Stardust Wrote:^ It's Kentucky fans. This is a shock??????

This game has been begged for on this board for years...
We lose and everyone acts like it's not a big deal.
^ LOL, 100% accurate. It's been more Crickets than anything else.

I'm a UK fan, but if I was OBSERVING this game from the outside, I'm sure I could come up with all kinds of excuses.....

[Image: http://paulvoltaire.files.wordpress.com/...1/woof.jpg]
toussaints Wrote:Kentucky will get better, but I wasn't impressed with Duke at all. UK won't dominate like last year, but a national title is still a possibility

Dead on. This team is just what most people on here keep saying:
very young and inexperienced, but with a lot of potential. Watching
that game last night exhibited that perfectly. Duke simply cannot
match the talent and ability UK has, but used their experience
to win the game. If this game replayed in 6 weeks, are there
any serious people that wouldn't expect UK to be the much
better team by then.

One unfortunate thing here though is, that come March,
there will be some ACC-ers pointing to this UK game as a
star on Duke's resume, and lobbying for them to get a #2
seed they probably won't deserve.
Stardust Wrote:^ LOL, 100% accurate. It's been more Crickets than anything else.

I'm a UK fan, but if I was OBSERVING this game from the outside, I'm sure I could come up with all kinds of excuses.....

[Image: http://paulvoltaire.files.wordpress.com/...1/woof.jpg]

From the capitalization I guess you're directing this to me.
But I can't see how last night's game disproves anything I've
said. I said UK IS extremely young and will need to come together,
adn that Duke would use it's experience to keep it close
and maybe even win. That would be dead on the money.

And from watching last night it's also pretty evident that Duke doesn't have top 10 talent. Were some run of the mill sideliner coaching this bunch
instead of K, they probably wouldn't be top 20. Come March
the Pukies will probably get an undesrved #2 seed, and part
of the reason they do will be a win over UK, even though
the tema they beat last night won't be close to the team
UK is by March.
Stardust Wrote:Where is Wildcatk23 at. He is the one to always point out how TERRIBLE the refs are. And last night, UK was the benefactor of HORRIBLE ref calls. Where are you cat?????

UK was the benefactor of horrible calls? Are you familiar with the term
"revisionism"? I'm not going to blame the game on missed calls,
but the dookies certainly netted out on top in that dept. Curry's
big travel down the lane with about a minute to go blunted the
last of UK's comeback for example. Not to mention the patented
dookie flops. No it wa UK's youth that cost them this game,
but it's beyond ridiculous to try to paint Duke as being
victimized by calls.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I agree. It was pathetic to watch Wiltjer last night. There is just not way he can create his own shot against elite competition. He could barely even get position to catch the ball, let alone get off a shot. UK needs his shooting this season to be as successful as possible. Cal and the staff will figure it out.

I hope you're wrong that there's "not a way for him to get shots".
But his lack of effort to do so last night was certianly disappointing.
Game Ball: Alex Poythress - He grew up a bit tonight. He played much more under control, scored inside and out, and terrified Duke on the offensive glass with 5 offensive rebounds, most of them for thunderous dunks. Poythress scored 20 points and had 8 rebounds.

Nerlens Noel - He was very good tonight, and showed many of the things that you don't expect him to bring to the floor. He had 4 steals and probably created 2 more, had 3 blocks, 8 rebounds, 16 points and only 1 turnover. The amazing thing is, he is much, much better than this.

Archie Goodwin - He did a lot of good. But he also did a lot of bad. He was not a very good point guard tonight, but he was decent at initiating the offense. My personal view is that he did not attack the basket enough, especially considering the size and athletic advantages he had. Still, not bad: 16 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 turnovers and 1 block.

Julius Mays - I thought, played a very immature game for him. He took bad shots, he made some bad decisions, and he generally did not have his best game all the time. But he wasn't awful either and did have 7 points and 3 assists, although that goes with 4 turnovers.

Jarrod Polson - He did about what you'd expect. He had 1 turnover and 1 rebound, but he took care of the ball and didn't get burned much on defense except for one play where he got picked off. As a backup point guard, he was serviceable, and that's all I'd ever really ask of him.

Willie Cauley-Stein - He did not have a good game. He never seemed comfortable, he was always biting on fakes, and he simply didn't play to the level that we have seen up until now. In short, he was a freshman. 4 points, no rebounds, 1 turnover.

Kyle Wiltjer - He was a complete non-factor for his age and experience. If I had to point to one reason why we did not win this game, I would point to Wiltjer's ineffectiveness. Wiltjer had 5 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists. That is not what we need to see from him. But it's early, so I think he's entitled to a bad game or two.
zaga_fan Wrote:This game has been begged for on this board for years...
We lose and everyone acts like it's not a big deal.

Because its a second game if he season with 4 freshmen.
Louisville, North Carolina, Duke. UK lives to play and beat these three teams, so any fan who says this loss doesn't get their goat is either trying to fool you or themselves. Wouldn't care if it's a summer league game. This was the hated Blue Devils. Plus they haven't played in 11 years. Just hope they get together in the NCAA Tour.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Because its a second game if he season with 4 freshmen.

Now c'mon - we've been praising these big name one and dones for the last few years - now we want to blame them for a loss.

When this game was set up a couple of years ago we all looked forward to it.
It's blown up my facebook and twitter feed for days...
now no one wants to make a big deal of it.
The fact that duke let this game be close at all shows they arent top level this year. This Kentucky team will be fine come tourney time but not right now, we played like shit and still kept it close.
zaga_fan Wrote:Now c'mon - we've been praising these big name one and dones for the last few years - now we want to blame them for a loss.

But then we won a national championship and lost 8 players.

Bringing in a freshmen class that is a few months out of high school. While duke has an aged team. We played awful and still held our own.

I told Britany at the Dixie stampede that I expect Kentucky to lose by no less than 6. This team is beyond young. And a little overrated at this point in the season. Now the talent and goal this team can achieve is national title level. But come on, to say this was a huge game for either team is far fetched.
Vegas line was 4 1/2.
zaga_fan Wrote:Now c'mon - we've been praising these big name one and dones for the last few years - now we want to blame them for a loss.

We?
Stardust Wrote:Where is Wildcatk23 at. He is the one to always point out how TERRIBLE the refs are. And last night, UK was the benefactor of HORRIBLE ref calls. Where are you cat?????

The benefactor? Plumblee should have fouled out 3 times over. Not to mention his 4-5 walks.

But like I said . It's early.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:We?

"We" is a reference to the BGR community as a whole.
The statements that I used that term in have been echoed by the vast majority of this board.

"We" can also be used to reference UK fans in general.
As the same sentiments were echoed by that community as well.

I'm a member of both communities so I'm allowed to use "we"TongueirateSho
Duke earned this win...

[Image: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxq3ehL8631qh0asv.jpg]

No one's "blaming" them in the sense of doing something
particularly wrong. Just pointing out that they're not
ready yet. Duke won't want a rematch come March
if these kids make just a little progress. If they make the typical
progress Cal has demonstrated over 3 years, the dookies
REALLY won't want a rematch. Toss around all the usual adjectives
for a coach K team, heady, scrappy, smart, sound; they
apply and explain why they won this game. Just don't
try to toss out "legit top 10", cause this bunch AIN'T.
They're weaker than the 2010 dookies.
Hate to lose to Duke, but they looked way better in this loss than in the win against Maryland IMO. I think they'll lose 4 or 5 games or so, but they should be pretty solid by March.
These excuses are pathetic. Just take the lost and move on. Do you think duke was at there best either. NO!!! So we got, blaming the refs, our team is full of freshman. Your team will always be full of freshman. Love it!!!
NYY10 Wrote:These excuses are pathetic. Just take the lost and move on. Do you think duke was at there best either. NO!!! So we got, blaming the refs, our team is full of freshman. Your team will always be full of freshman. Love it!!!

Calling Duke "we" when you have no ties to the program whatsoever. Not bandwagon-like at all.

Love it!
NYY10 Wrote:These excuses are pathetic. Just take the lost and move on. Do you think duke was at there best either. NO!!! So we got, blaming the refs, our team is full of freshman. Your team will always be full of freshman. Love it!!!

:flame:
zaga_fan Wrote:"We" is a reference to the BGR community as a whole.
The statements that I used that term in have been echoed by the vast majority of this board.

"We" can also be used to reference UK fans in general.
As the same sentiments were echoed by that community as well.

I'm a member of both communities so I'm allowed to use "we"TongueirateSho

BGR community? Yes.

UK fan community? Ehh.

If you're favorite team team is not UK (I assume yours is Gonzaga seeing your BGR name and favorite team logo) then you really can't claim to be apart of this fanbase to start with, especially if you have no ties or no reason to be rooting for said school. If this is not that case, and you are one of those people that claim to be fans of Kentucky but do nothing but criticize each and every move Coach Cal, the team, and "real" fans make (and there are plenty of these people from the BGR community, I won't mention names), then those of us in the "UK fan community" don't exactly claim you.

When I've made this argument in the past, people say "I don't care, I have a right to say what ever I want." Sure, you do. But, it's really nothing but aggravating.