Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan Co. Black Bears
Probably Morristown West
HDE Wrote:Probably Morristown West

I don't know anything about them other than they are traditionally better than Morristown East.

Anyone know about them?
I think Whitley could be a tighter game, it being at HC does give the bears a boost tho
From seeing Knox, they are loaded
Knox will be very talented this year!!
Gate City will be a good test for the Bears.
New topic: Most valuable coach for the Bears not named Larkey? They are all quality, but which coach would the Bears miss the most if not there? Just food for discussion while we wait for the season.
Tobin Frost Wrote:New topic: Most valuable coach for the Bears not named Larkey? They are all quality, but which coach would the Bears miss the most if not there? Just food for discussion while we wait for the season.

That is easy! Donnie Roark. Hands down!
I'm guessing he is the indispensible equipment/water/do everything guy that most every team has?
Tobin Frost Wrote:I'm guessing he is the indispensible equipment/water/do everything guy that most every team has?

He what be the MAN. Every team might have one, but none as important as Donnie. He does it all!
Donnie has been around the football programs of the local teams since the early 70s he really enjoys the kids and being a part of a program, hats off to Coach Larkey and staff for finding him a place.
Speaking of indispensable, how will the Black Bears find a replacement for the most valuable player of last years team, in quarterback, safety, punter returner and kick returner, Jordy Brewer. From the games I attended Jordy was involved in 75% of all plays from scrimmedge. IMO he will be the hardest player that Coach Larkey has had to replace since the three schools combined to form Harlan County High School.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Speaking of indispensable, how will the Black Bears find a replacement for the most valuable player of last years team, in quarterback, safety, punter returner and kick returner, Jordy Brewer. From the games I attended Jordy was involved in 75% of all plays from scrimmedge. IMO he will be the hardest player that Coach Larkey has had to replace since the three schools combined to form Harlan County High School.

Good player, great kid.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Speaking of indispensable, how will the Black Bears find a replacement for the most valuable player of last years team, in quarterback, safety, punter returner and kick returner, Jordy Brewer. From the games I attended Jordy was involved in 75% of all plays from scrimmedge. IMO he will be the hardest player that Coach Larkey has had to replace since the three schools combined to form Harlan County High School.

He was a great leader.
I think I might rate T.J. Green a tad ahead for all he did. T.J. just took over some games his senior year.
HDE Wrote:He was a great leader.
I think I might rate T.J. Green a tad ahead for all he did. T.J. just took over some games his senior year.

He certainly carried the Black Bears against Perry Central that year...well at least he carried them the last 2 minutes! Jordy was also a leader it will be hard to replace him in so many ways! but seems like we have to replace a leader every year!
Anxious to see Treyvon Long in the backfield!
Treyvon's cousin Lance Simmons was a heck of a player/back^! Let us hope Treyvon is the same.
I wonder if he'll return punt's like Simmons did for the Black Bears?
Ohh, all this talk about football is really getting me excited for the games!!!!
Can't wait til next Thursday!!

Go Black Bears!!!
Treyvon was the punt returner for about 80 percent of the season last year.
Yogibear Wrote:Treyvon was the punt returner for about 80 percent of the season last year.

You seem to know a lot about the Black Bears yogi! How did camp go? Will the Bears be able to stop the D-1 TE and running back MO -WEST has? Will the bears be able to score enough to beat a very good Mo- West team? Fill us in because everyone is excited!
Any one can tell who returns punts. Just look at the field. You seem to know a lot about everything. You tell us.
Yogibear Wrote:Any one can tell who returns punts. Just look at the field. You seem to know a lot about everything. You tell us.

Well, I not with the team everyday but from watching last year I am concerned about us on the offensive side of the ball. I know we lost a bunch of MEN upfront on the line. I think until we find our niche we could struggle on offense. We play some very stout comp the first couple of weeks with several D-1 players on the first couple of teams we play. On defense, we should be even better than last year with several kids returning and possible stronger and quicker on the defensive side of the ball. However, it's seems to me that as good as we are defensively , that a well coached ball club that can play a little with a weapon or two always seems to trick us for a least a score or maybe two a game. To start the season off, I don't know if we are capable on the offensive side of the ball to win if our defense isn't very good? Just my opinion from someone looking on, but I do know that if anyone can get the offense clicking it is coach Larkey! Also, Canady gets a lot out of his defense but it has to happen fast because we don't play Jenkins the first week!
Even the thought of HC playing Jenkins makes me hurt.

I get the worries or concerns every year until new guys in new spots prove it on the field, but I could see HC being better than last year by the end of the season.
Dungy Wrote:Even the thought of HC playing Jenkins makes me hurt.

I get the worries or concerns every year until new guys in new spots prove it on the field, but I could see HC being better than last year by the end of the season.

Nice to be able to gauge a team and never be around them.
Anyone have an update on the new stadium? My head just about blows off every time I drive by that place. The progression has been nothing short of pathetic.
Bear_Paw Wrote:Anyone have an update on the new stadium? My head just about blows off every time I drive by that place. The progression has been nothing short of pathetic.

I have heard money is the problem.
Money could very well be one of the problems but there is more.... The has been severe planning issues by the contractor. Permits not applied for in a timely manner, equipment issues, work schedule issues. The place is going to be awesome....I just wish they would get in gear and get it done. I have lost all hope of my son ever getting to play a game there.
Why would Harlan Co struggle on the offensive side of the ball this year? They have some very good skill kids back from last season. Harlan Co. has had some really nice groups of RB's every year since the school has been open. I do not see anything changing this season from years past. Good Luck Black Bears
Bear_Paw Wrote:Money could very well be one of the problems but there is more.... The has been severe planning issues by the contractor. Permits not applied for in a timely manner, equipment issues, work schedule issues. The place is going to be awesome....I just wish they would get in gear and get it done. I have lost all hope of my son ever getting to play a game there.

Sounds like a lawsuit may be needed.
It should have been done and if a lot of it falls on the contractor not getting it done, id make sure he was doing it for pretty much nothing.