Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin - 2012
wildone89 Wrote:I sat in the stands and heard time and time again how they wanted an up to date offense and needed to get out of the stone age! Whitaker and the possibility of couch was all that was needed to do Adams in! It really was sad from an outsider looking in but that's all water under the bridge! The grass isn't always greener on the other side! They should do a 60 on 60 for the stupidest ever move by a school adm. Lol

I can agree, and finally a post that has something to do with Corbin.

Cotton was the best thing to step on that field, and it just goes to show how greed will always get the best of you. The fact that they havent won a state championship since he was there and this year will mark 30 years. Never should have let him go.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin never had to play anyone until the state semis.
Every now and then they would have to get ahold of a good Pburg team in the Region championship and thats as hard as it ever got.
Im not a khsaa.org hound like all of you Corbin fans, so im not going to go post results and spend 30 minutes telling you the easy schedule and playoff that Corbin has had in the past.

They played and beat some good Class 2A teams in the playoffs, such as E'town(who had 3 players who started multiple years in the SEC), Prestonsburg, Louisville Western, Bardstown, Larue Co., etc. These may not be Trinity, Bowling Green or Highlands, but those teams are in a higher classification for a reason.
hoops_town Wrote:Tom Greer coaching at Corbin could indeed be in the near future. I heard he was recently hired as an asst. principal at Corbin.

Greer was hired as the Principal at the Corbin Educational Center. You are not allowed to be a Principal and also a coach in the Corbin School System, so I doubt you will see him on the field.
the fact of the matter is its time for Jewel to go he has had his time and couldnt get it done. If Corbin isnt careful they will end up like Lynn Camp ( a coach that needed to go 20 years ago), Its time they get new blood in there. Dont get me wrong Dave Mitchell was a good coach but 34 years come on people!! back to Corbin Jewel has showed he cant get it done, not with what the fans of Corbin expect of a team
SEKYFAN Wrote:Greer was hired as the Principal at the Corbin Educational Center. You are not allowed to be a Principal and also a coach in the Corbin School System, so I doubt you will see him on the field.
You wouldnt want Greer even if he could be on the field, Just look what he did at Bell Co. he cant handel the pressure,
First of all, let me say that when it comes to pure knowledge of the game, Jewell and Farris are among the best in the state. I don't think anyone with a sane mind would deny that. However, I think a lot of people would agree that stubborness and/or ability to come through in the clutch has hurt them a lot. (Larue County 2001) (Owensboro Catholic 2004).

I honestly like Steve a great deal. He's a good man and really wants to shape these kids into men. However, unlike what many here at Corbin expect, he seems to want them to be better men rather than athletes. Morally, that is the way to handle it but here at a pressure cooker program, that ruffles some feathers. Also, I think a lot of people are more negative about Jewell because his personality is more of an introvert. With a community who loves their football, I think the natives want to see their coach out in town, shaking hands, and talking the game. Face it, being the football coach at Corbin used to be bigger than being The Mayor.

I really want Steve to succeed here. Sure it's been an easy road most years but some seasons, Corbin really was one of, if not the best team in 2A. The non district schedule didn't do any favors when it came to preparation for the playoffs. Lord knows, they weren't getting prepared by the district slate.

If it were up to me, I would drop the dead weight from the schedule. If it were up to me, I'd want to see a schedule similar to this.

District
Bell County
Casey County
Wayne County
McCreary Central

Non District
-Pigskin Classic (Knox Central, Lexington School, TN School, Prestonsburg, Belfry, etc with the other game being a big time game with powerhouses)
-Whitley County
-Middlesboro (Should play every year..It's a rivalry)
-Rockcastle/Somerset (rotating to keep old rivalries)
-Harlan County/Pulaski County/Southwestern (rotating)
-Maybe a smaller school like Williamsburg, Lynn Camp, Harlan etc to make for a good gate and in most years be a sure win to get kids PT, and healing time.

I honestly don't like the series with the Laurel County schools. I don't want to sound like an elitist and yes in fact some years South has fielded some fine teams. I'd just rather play the teams from the south rather than London. Whitley in my mind is a better preparation game for what lies ahead. Plus the gate would be better as they tend to care more for football.
HAROLD Wrote:First of all, let me say that when it comes to pure knowledge of the game, Jewell and Farris are among the best in the state. I don't think anyone with a sane mind would deny that. However, I think a lot of people would agree that stubborness and/or ability to come through in the clutch has hurt them a lot. (Larue County 2001) (Owensboro Catholic 2004).

I honestly like Steve a great deal. He's a good man and really wants to shape these kids into men. However, unlike what many here at Corbin expect, he seems to want them to be better men rather than athletes. Morally, that is the way to handle it but here at a pressure cooker program, that ruffles some feathers. Also, I think a lot of people are more negative about Jewell because his personality is more of an introvert. With a community who loves their football, I think the natives want to see their coach out in town, shaking hands, and talking the game. Face it, being the football coach at Corbin used to be bigger than being The Mayor.

I really want Steve to succeed here. Sure it's been an easy road most years but some seasons, Corbin really was one of, if not the best team in 2A. The non district schedule didn't do any favors when it came to preparation for the playoffs. Lord knows, they weren't getting prepared by the district slate.

If it were up to me, I would drop the dead weight from the schedule. If it were up to me, I'd want to see a schedule similar to this.

District
Bell County
Casey County
Wayne County
McCreary Central

Non District
-Pigskin Classic (Knox Central, Lexington School, TN School, Prestonsburg, Belfry, etc with the other game being a big time game with powerhouses)
-Whitley County
-Maybe a smaller school like Williamsburg, Lynn Camp, Harlan etc to make for a good gate and in most years be a sure win to get kids PT, and healing time.

I honestly don't like the series with the Laurel County schools. I don't want to sound like an elitist and yes in fact some years South has fielded some fine teams. I'd just rather play the teams from the south rather than London. Whitley in my mind is a better preparation game for what lies ahead. Plus the gate would be better as they tend to care more for football.

Let's hope that Corbin has a very good season, maybe that will stem the criticism, although I'm not sure what it would take to satisfy some of them.
HAROLD Wrote:First of all, let me say that when it comes to pure knowledge of the game, Jewell and Farris are among the best in the state. I don't think anyone with a sane mind would deny that. However, I think a lot of people would agree that stubborness and/or ability to come through in the clutch has hurt them a lot. (Larue County 2001) (Owensboro Catholic 2004).

District
Bell County
Casey County
Wayne County
McCreary Central

Non District
-Whitley County

Great post Harold.
Im like you, and know the life around here.
Steve, like you said i a great guy, and one of the best high school teachers around. I believe he teaches biology or some sort of science unlike many coaches who teach P.E. or conditioning, and he is a very smart man. However, like you said, he's not the type of coach that you see out in town shaking hands and kissing babys, which is what many of the Corbin faithful, especially alumni want. I do believe he's more interested in getting the kids to grow into young men ad get into a college somewhere, which is a great thing, but after years of getting to a region or semi and getting blown away has ruffled some feathers.

Like you said, I also hate how Corbin has scheduled the Laurel County teams year after year, when i they could just agree to a contract with Whitley, would be a much better game. In no way is playing a north and south laurel going to prepare you for a Bell County like Whitley would. A Rock/Somerset game would be great also, and would bring back a lot of old memories for Corbin alums im sure. IMO, if they did schedule down for a game, as you said, a Lynn Camp or Williamsburg game would be a great gate, however, i dont think Corbin will ever schedule either one of those two again.
Would love to see Whitley vs Corbin myself but have no control over that.But saying corbin doesnt play any hard games is bull WAYNE,BELL,DANVILLE,TATES CREEK are all good football teams.Coach black need to cut back on his schedule that my opion.
fence jumper Wrote:Would love to see Whitley vs Corbin myself but have no control over that.But saying corbin doesnt play any hard games is bull WAYNE,BELL,DANVILLE,TATES CREEK are all good football teams.Coach black need to cut back on his schedule that my opion.

There you go again telling Whitley what they need to do with there schedule in a Corbin thead.
As for nt playing us, we agreed to play Corbin at Corbin as long as they would come to Whitley the next year and Jewell refused. If it wasnt for the varsity club at Corbin being ovr the pigskin then the game at Corbin would have never been mentioned. Balls in Corbins court, its up t them and every year that goes by that he doesnt play Whitley just further proves everyones point.
Corbin does play a pretty good schedule. Danville is no doubt an elite opponent. While Tates Creek will never be a power house, they are a big city school and the local talent alone will make them a respectable opponent. They usually get beat up on by the other bigger schools which likely shakes some confidence but they do present a look that prepares you.

GRC is similar to Tates Creek. Very solid opponent but just doesn't sustain the success due to being stuck in the district and regions that they are in.

I guess that I would just rather Corbin face local teams who would provide good gates and good match ups in most years. If nothing else, it would improve community morale. I can remember as recently as 10-12 years ago when Friday nights were big events. People would look forward all week long for 7:30 on Friday night to roll around. Now it seems like more of a ho-hum attitude. With realignment killing old rivalries (Rock, Somerset, Middlesboro, etc), nobody got fired up for 50 point blowouts each week. If some local flavor was added and almost assured of a fun game to watch, we could get back to those fun friday nights.
^
If I could set the Corbin schedule myself, this is what id do.

District Games
Bell County
Casey County
Wayne County
Mccreary County

The district alone should be where the majorities or the "easier" games come from.
Every year Corbin should blow out all of those teams except for Bell, which mean the out of district schedule needs to be tougher.

Non District
Whitley County- No Brainer

South Laurel- While this game is no help for Corbin, its still a good gate and a rivalry as old as time, however, North should never be on the schedule.

Rockcastle County- This use to be one of the best games in the mountains, but that flame went out a few years ago. I would like to see it restarted.

Somerset- Good, solid opponent that would be a good gate every year. I know Somerset fans would also like to see it also.

Lynn Camp- These two schools are literally like 5 or 6 miles away, and the fooball fields are even closer. While i dont like playing down, this game would be one of the best gates every single year. If you could keep the emotions down, which is possible, this could turn into a great rivalry.

This last spot give Cobin a chance to schedule anyone they want to. In my opinion they should rotate teams like Middlesboro, Prestonsburg, Belfry, and Breathitt around.
Can't wait until the Bobcats go to Corbin and play this season. It has been a few years since they have traveled to Redhound country and played.
^
I was actually there the last time they did.
what happened to Corbin? I know a few years back they had an 8th grade team that was outstanding. looking at the roster from last year, i see that most of the kids from that team don't play anymore.
^
Thats the question a lot of people are asking.
the A team Wrote:what happened to Corbin? I know a few years back they had an 8th grade team that was outstanding. looking at the roster from last year, i see that most of the kids from that team don't play anymore.

Last years senior class had around 5 of their top 8 players(plus many others) leave the team before their junior year or they decided not to play at all in high school and focus on another sport.

This year's senior class has kept most of the main players on the roster.

The junior class, who were middle school state runner-ups, have had a couple leave the program that would have been major contributors.

The sophomore class, which is the arguably the most talented group to come up in a while, have lost 4 or 5 really good players from their championship team. The best lineman had to transfer to South Laurel because he moved, another transferred to Williamsburg(where he led the Jackets in tackles last year), but would have stayed if Corbin would have been receptive to Dalton Sizemore transferring in last year.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Last years senior class had around 5 of their top 8 players(plus many others) leave the team before their junior year or they decided not to play at all in high school and focus on another sport.

This year's senior class has kept most of the main players on the roster.

The junior class, who were middle school state runner-ups, have had a couple leave the program that would have been major contributors.

The sophomore class, which is the arguably the most talented group to come up in a while, have lost 4 or 5 really good players from their championship team. The best lineman had to transfer to South Laurel because he moved, another transferred to Williamsburg(where he led the Jackets in tackles last year), but would have stayed if Corbin would have been receptive to Dalton Sizemore transferring in last year.

Corbin could possibly be a state contender if all the kids would have stayed. with a school the size of Corbin that amount of kids leaving or not playing, really puts a dent in the program.
Corbin had 29 kids out today, me and my buddies drove around and counted them, Whitley had 28 and Williamsburg 40
Corbin had 29 varsity 55 total
fence jumper Wrote:Corbin had 29 varsity 55 total

thought that was the middle school on the lower end of the field or was that freshman, could someone please clarify this don't want to give false info on the site
topnotch Wrote:Corbin had 29 kids out today, me and my buddies drove around and counted them, Whitley had 28 and Williamsburg 40

Whitley has never had 28. They have stuck with 38 about everday. You must have driven someplace else
topnotch Wrote:thought that was the middle school on the lower end of the field or was that freshman, could someone please clarify this don't want to give false info on the site

They were the non-varsity on the other end, mainly freshman.
footballfever Wrote:Whitley has never had 28. They have stuck with 38 about everday. You must have driven someplace else

I counted 37 when i wentout to catch a practice the other day.
Maybe he was counting the freshman, which there is not that many of, so i dont know what field he was on.
He may have stopped by the middle school field and seen the 8th grade practicing.
There are 60 players on Corbin's Roster.
14 Seniors
10 Juniors
20 Sophomores
16 Freshmen
Any news on Corbin from their practices? I have heard that they will be going from the pistol or shotgun formation on just about every snap this year. Any truth to that?
you heard right not throwing as much this year
fence jumper Wrote:you heard right not throwing as much this year

Sounds like a good plan to me. Corbin has not had a good passing game since Cashen graduated several years ago.
The GRC game is huge for Corbin, but it will be a tough task as GRC has 31 seniors on their roster this year. Confidence seemed to be a problem last year, so a loss this week could snowball on them with LCA, Tates Creek and Danville following.

Tates Creek may be the best public school team in Lexington this year and Oxendine the best RB in central Ky.

LCA's passing attack will give Corbin fits, especially if Grubb is still out and I H. Reedy not playing as well. Corbin has not fared well vs. passing teams in the past anyway.

Danville is expected to be back to the Danville of old this year, so that game will be a toss-up as well.

South Laurel follows with another good passing game.

Then Wayne Co., who is expected to have their best team in many years.
SEKYFAN Wrote:The GRC game is huge for Corbin, but it will be a tough task as GRC has 31 seniors on their roster this year. Confidence seemed to be a problem last year, so a loss this week could snowball on them with LCA, Tates Creek and Danville following.

Tates Creek may be the best public school team in Lexington this year and Oxendine the best RB in central Ky.

LCA's passing attack will give Corbin fits, especially if Grubb is still out and I H. Reedy not playing as well. Corbin has not fared well vs. passing teams in the past anyway.

Danville is expected to be back to the Danville of old this year, so that game will be a toss-up as well.

South Laurel follows with another good passing game.

Then Wayne Co., who is expected to have their best team in many years.

Could be a very long season for the Hounds.