Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin - 2012
Corbin should be bigger, faster and stronger this year after playing a lot of freshman and sophomores in 2011 while graduating a small senior class. I expect them to go back to playing a lot more power football than they have in many years, and let their big sophomore running backs, Powers(weighed in around 210 last year) and Coppock(185 last year) chew up some yardage. The QB(Waddle) will also get a lot of carries, which should add a new dimension that Corbin has been lacking for a very long time. Jewell(second leading rusher last year) also returns and is a very good blocker along with senior Nick Mills, who missed last year with an injury after starting at FB his sophomore year. They also return 3, two year starters on the offensive line and should be solid up front. The 2 top receivers return in Josh Jewell and Hunter Grubb,

Defensively they will be led by 2nd team all-state defensive lineman Myrvin Grigsby as well as 4 year starter Cody Harp on the line. Cody Deaton also retuns at NG and DT. They return 3 starting LB's in Jewell, Powers and Jackson and 2 DB's in Hunter Grubb and Reedy.

They have several more good athletes who did not play much, if any varsity last year who may step up and jump into starting roles as well this year such as Cupp, Ingle, Ledford, Taylor, Adams, Anderson, Hopper, Chadwell, Hubbard and Reedy.
Whats Corbins schedule look like this year.
Corbin's schedule will play out this way....

second (maybe third) in the district and a quick exit from the playoffs.....

After feasting for years in a 2A second class district and region reality is setting in.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Whats Corbins schedule look like this year.

They play Danville, Lexington Christian, Harlan, South Laurel and maybe Tates Creek or Knoxville Karnes as their out of district games.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Corbin's schedule will play out this way....

second (maybe third) in the district and a quick exit from the playoffs.....

After feasting for years in a 2A second class district and region reality is setting in.

Sad, but true.
Being in one of the easiest districts in the state, as well as region for many years has finally caught up.
Even Wayne has gotten a little better while it seems Corbin has stayed stagnant.
IMHO, it wont be long before Corbin finds a new coach.

Corbin has some great young talent, but it depends on how Jewell uses it will determine how good they can be. Id like to see Corbin schedule some tougher mountain teams every year.
Theyve played some good competetion in Clark County, Tates Creek, and out of state teams like Karns, but Corbin should really try to get back into mountain football and schedule some Breathitts, Belfry, Pburgs, etc. and see how good they do against their class around the mountains. This year will make it 30 years since Corbins last state championship.
Id love to see next years team run some kind offense similar to Whitley's and get back to power football. Moderizing the offense isnt helping them like they had originally thought. In 3A, you dont have to have a balanced offense. You can power your way to a state title game like Bell and Belfry have done.

IMO, Corbin finishes around 6-4 or 5-5, with a second round loss.
However, the future is bright and there is some really good young talent. Remember how many good middle school teams the Hounds have had.

Goodluck in 2012 Corbin. Should be a decent year for all 3 Whitley County teams.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Sad, but true.
Being in one of the easiest districts in the state, as well as region for many years has finally caught up.
Even Wayne has gotten a little better while it seems Corbin has stayed stagnant.
IMHO, it wont be long before Corbin finds a new coach.

Corbin has some great young talent, but it depends on how Jewell uses it will determine how good they can be. Id like to see Corbin schedule some tougher mountain teams every year.
Theyve played some good competetion in Clark County, Tates Creek, and out of state teams like Karns, but Corbin should really try to get back into mountain football and schedule some Breathitts, Belfry, Pburgs, etc. and see how good they do against their class around the mountains. This year will make it 30 years since Corbins last state championship.
Id love to see next years team run some kind offense similar to Whitley's and get back to power football. Moderizing the offense isnt helping them like they had originally thought. In 3A, you dont have to have a balanced offense. You can power your way to a state title game like Bell and Belfry have done.

IMO, Corbin finishes around 6-4 or 5-5, with a second round loss.
However, the future is bright and there is some really good young talent. Remember how many good middle school teams the Hounds have had.

Goodluck in 2012 Corbin. Should be a decent year for all 3 Whitley County teams.

If Corbin goes 6-4 or 5-5 in the regular season, I think you are right and the heat will be on Jewell. This team should be better than the 2010 team that plastered Prestonsburg on the way to the state semifinals before losing to New Cath, but the road is harder now and have to beat arguably the 2 best teams in 3A just to get out of the region.

This Corbin team should be able to play with anyone in 3A, not sure if they will or not, may depend upon how certain players are utilized. They may be a year away though, considering they will start 5-6 sophomores.
^
As you know, most everyone around here in Corbin is use to hearing the same last names every year ue to the fact that Corbin breeds a lot of good football players and is family rich. Here lately, it seems you dont hear those usual last names playing at Corbin.

Is those years of family generations playing football over, or is it just that there literally are none in the school right now?

Whos the Waddle kid? How's he shaping up?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
As you know, most everyone around here in Corbin is use to hearing the same last names every year ue to the fact that Corbin breeds a lot of good football players and is family rich. Here lately, it seems you dont hear those usual last names playing at Corbin.

Is those years of family generations playing football over, or is it just that there literally are none in the school right now?

There are several kids on this year's team that are related to some players from the past that you may remember, here are a few.

Corey Taylor, soph. QB is the brother of Matthew & Dakota Tayor and the son of Roy Taylor.
Harrison & William Reedy are sophomores and the sons of Nooners Reedy.
Cai Jackson, a jr. LB is the brother of Mitch & Chaz Jackson, son of Terry Jackson.
Myrvin Grigsby, sr. DE son of Myrvo Grigsby.
^
I actually remember all of them.
I know one very well, but had completely forgotten about him.
SEKYFAN Wrote:There are several kids on this year's team that are related to some players from the past that you may remember, here are a few.

Corey Taylor, soph. QB is the brother of Matthew & Dakota Tayor and the son of Roy Taylor.
Harrison & William Reedy are sophomores and the sons of Nooners Reedy.
Cai Jackson, a jr. LB is the brother of Mitch & Chaz Jackson, son of Terry Jackson.
Myrvin Grigsby, sr. DE son of Myrvo Grigsby.

I believe Harrison Reedy was among several others that quit. I think the number is around 8-10 players that have quit since the first of the year. Several of which would have either started or contributed.
^
It seems these really good middle schoolers who won a lot have quit the program.

Is it time for a change on the high school level?
It seems these really good middle schoolers who won a lot have quit the program.

Is it time for a change on the high school level?

[SIZE="2"]Wonder whats going on and why are they quitting? I always look forward to our game with corbin we had some very good games.. i am glad they have to play us now! i really hated it when they dropped us in 2006 which was a really great classic mountain football game that we won with a walk off field goal! Good luck to corbin and i hope things get better for them...[/SIZE]
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I believe Harrison Reedy was among several others that quit. I think the number is around 8-10 players that have quit since the first of the year. Several of which would have either started or contributed.

Who else has left the team? This seems to be a yearly occurrence with several sophomores and juniors to be leaving the team.
^
Since about 02 or 03 it seems they have a group of players quit every year.
What happened to all the Corbin fans that use to roam these boards as well?
How is Cai doing?

Wish he would've stayed in Pikeville! Hope he does well for the Redhounds!
Panther Thunder Wrote:How is Cai doing?

Wish he would've stayed in Pikeville! Hope he does well for the Redhounds!

Cai will start on defense, also did the PAT's last year.

Taylor Waddle was the backup QB last year and also played some safety. He started one game and I believe ran for more than 100 yds in that game. He is a pretty big kid, about 6'1" or 6'2", and is one of the fastest kids on the team. His dad is Creston Waddle, who played basketball for Corbin back in the 80's.
^
Any chance Jewell gets away from the balance offense and get more into ing the ball this year.
Any chance Jewell gets away from the balance offense and get more into ing the ball this year.

I would think so, but I doubt he cares what I think.:biggrin:
^
Maybe the super can change his mind :biggrin:
Maybe the super can change his mind :biggrin:

I do not believe that football is a high priority for the Superintendent. I guess that could change if he started getting some heat.
^
Thats not something ive understood in quite some time.
Athletics, especially football has always been a main priorty for the adistration, but Mcneel doesnt seem to bother much with it.
I cant believe there hasnt already been a lot of heat coming from the alums.
Most schools have kids that make the choice not to play one sport or another and only play one sport so Corbin not having all the kids play is not a real surprise.

The REAL question is this: Why is Corbin not getting all the high profile transfers that they used to get from neighboring schools.

1. The neighboring schools are getting better and kids have no reason to leave.
2. Corbin is no longer in the weakest district, region and semi state in the weakest class, so they no longer have a paved road to the region or semis every year and people see that.
3. Corbin chooses not to play high profile games outside of the playoffs and district schedule.
4. Jewell
5. Corbin's glory days have long since passed.

With all that being said, it is more important to get their own kids out for football and they are struggling doing that. (like a lot of other schools)
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Most schools have kids that make the choice not to play one sport or another and only play one sport so Corbin not having all the kids play is not a real surprise.

The REAL question is this: Why is Corbin not getting all the high profile transfers that they used to get from neighboring schools.

2. Corbin is no longer in the weakest district, region and semi state in the weakest class, so they no longer have a paved road to the region or semis every year and people see that.
3. Corbin chooses not to play high profile games outside of the playoffs and district schedule.
4. Jewell

With all that being said, it is more important to get their own kids out for football and they are struggling doing that. (like a lot of other schools)

1. True
2. Urban legend
3. Not really
4. Good football coach, probably could use new blood in asst coaches
5. True
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Most schools have kids that make the choice not to play one sport or another and only play one sport so Corbin not having all the kids play is not a real surprise.

4. Jewell

It is a huge deal that Corbin cant rip players from other schools like they use to.
Theyve had atleast 10 from Whitley alone back in the days of doing that, and now it seems nobody really cares if they go to corbin or not.

Ill agree that the district and region Corbin was in was just god awful. You are correct that this might have been the easiest ride to the playoffs every year.

Im not sure why Corbin dont schedule more high profile mountain teams instead of signing themselves up for teams that are out of the area. They need to get back into mountain football.
There out of district schedule should include Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Knox Central, and A belfry or breathitt.

I too agree its time for a change.
And yes, the glory days are long gone.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It is a huge deal that Corbin cant rip players from other schools like they use to.
Theyve had atleast 10 from Whitley alone back in the days of doing that, and now it seems nobody really cares if they go to corbin or not.

Ill agree that the district and region Corbin was in was just god awful. You are correct that this might have been the easiest ride to the playoffs every year.

Im not sure why Corbin dont schedule more high profile mountain teams instead of signing themselves up for teams that are out of the area. They need to get back into mountain football.
There out of district schedule should include Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Knox Central, and A belfry or breathitt.

I too agree its time for a change.
And yes, the glory days are long gone.

I can think of 2 players that came from Whitley to Corbin after reaching high school and a couple of others that came in the 6th or 7th grade, but I'm sure there could be more. I also remember 2 or 3 that went to Whitley after attending Corbin.

Would I rather drive 1 hr and 15 minutes to Lexington/Winchester or 4 hours to Belfry.:pondering:
SEKYFAN Wrote:I can think of 2 players that came from Whitley to Corbin after reaching high school and a couple of others that came in the 6th or 7th grade, but I'm sure there could be more. I also remember 2 or 3 that went to Whitley after attending Corbin.

Would I rather drive 1 hr and 15 minutes to Lexington/Winchester or 4 hours to Belfry.:pondering:

Im not going to name any names on here , but i could pm you atleast ten since 2000 that has went to Corbin and played significant factors in their success.
However, as i said, it didnt break the bank at Whitley, although there was one year in particular, (2001) that one player could have helped Whitley a lot. I know you know who im referring to and that was one of the best Whitley teams to ever step on the field. With that player, IMO, it could have put them over the top or atleast got them to a regional final.

As far as Belfry, i always think a team should make one good road trip a year and if i was a Corbin diehard, id rather play Belfry than GRC. As far as the others i mentioned are concerned, they could of already had a game with Whitley, had they agreed to a home and home like everyone does instead of them wanting Whitley to play in a bowl game at Corbin only. You know the gate for that game would be unreal. Knox is only 10 minutes up 25E and theyve already been playing South every year along with North on and off again, which again is a 10 minute drive.
So, with four district games, the six non district games im referring to are all almost within a 15 mile radius.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im not going to name any names on here , but i could pm you atleast ten since 2000 that has went to Corbin and played significant factors in their success.
However, as i said, it didnt break the bank at Whitley, although there was one year in particular, (2001) that one player could have helped Whitley a lot. I know you know who im referring to and that was one of the best Whitley teams to ever step on the field. With that player, IMO, it could have put them over the top or atleast got them to a regional final.

As far as Belfry, i always think a team should make one good road trip a year and if i was a Corbin diehard, id rather play Belfry than GRC. As far as the others i mentioned are concerned, they could of already had a game with Whitley, had they agreed to a home and home like everyone does instead of them wanting Whitley to play in a bowl game at Corbin only. You know the gate for that game would be unreal. Knox is only 10 minutes up 25E and theyve already been playing South every year along with North on and off again, which again is a 10 minute drive.
So, with four district games, the six non district games im referring to are all almost within a 15 mile radius.

There is no excuse for Corbin not to play Whitley home and home. I don't think that Corbin will play Knox Central until Hulett is gone as Superintendent though.
SEKYFAN Wrote:There is no excuse for Corbin not to play Whitley home and home. I don't think that Corbin will play Knox Central until Hulett is gone as Superintendent though.

I agree.
Whitley was ready to sign on the dotted line last year as long as Corbin agreed to play a return game at Whitley. But, IMO Jewell doesnt want to play Whitley for a variety of reasons, but in all honesty it would be a pretty competetive game most years. The Varsity club at Corbin was ready to get a Whitley game once they seen the Pigskin Classic in trouble money wise, which is something Jewell has no control over, but i think it will eventually happen.
IMHO, i think within five years Whitley will replace Lynn Camp with Corbin on the schedule, as long as Corbin agrees to a home and home game and wants to sign a contract. For all we know, Russell might not want to play Whitley and might end the series (which is what i would do) and move on to more competetive competetion. The one thing that kept it going so long was Mitchell always wanting to schedule us, for which i give him kudos for, but its clearly time to move on.
One thing is for sure, Whitley and Corbin need to be playing football, it would help both teams get better every year and make one of the biggest gates in all of KY year in and year out.

I agree with you that until Hulett is gone it probably wont happen. With all of the bad blood between Knox and Corbin right now, it may never happen.
Why doesn't Corbin play rockcastle anymore?