Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Team That Didn't Win State
1994 Leslie Co.

Rolled through the season 13-0 and topped most state polls throughout the year. Jumped up 6-0 on Covington Catholic @ home, and the wheels just fell off. That was a very good football team.

1995 Leslie Co. team was very good too. If they would have done like our district foe for so long(Breathitt Co.) and dropped to 2A, maybe could have been a state championship trophy at Leslie Co. Instead, they get out of 3A and go undefeated..
I attended the 2009 and 2010 Boyle/Bell games. IMO the 2009 team that lost at Boyle was the better team.
As some have already mentioned, i'm gonna go with the Michael Bush lead 2002 Male Bulldogs. Lost a 59-56 thriller to a Brian Brohm led Trinity team.
94 and 95 leslie county. My nephew played and graduated with tim couch. in 94 they won every game up until cov cath beat them and went on to win state. lc may have had some ranking nationally cant really remember. in 95 they beat jarrod lorenzan and highlands before gettin beat in a controversial game by none other than highlands in 95. pikeville had some great teams and i even think 2011 hc, 2008 breathitt, and even 88 corbin team has to be mention as well
ive seen the '97 bourgon county team mentioned alot. wasnt they coached by dudley hilton and DID win state? i could be wrong
THE X FACTOR Wrote:ive seen the '97 bourgon county team mentioned alot. wasnt they coached by dudley hilton and DID win state? i could be wrong

Bourbon is mentioned, not because they were a great team, but they got on a tremendous roll that defeated some very good teams on their way to the title. They upset an undefeated Boyle (who had defeated them earlier in the season), a good Lex Cath squad (who likewise beat them earlier) and an undefeated Lawrence County on the way to the Final.

That's the tie in to this thread. Some have spoken out for those Lawrence County squads in '97 to '99.
Hatz Wrote:Bourbon is mentioned, not because they were a great team, but they got on a tremendous roll that defeated some very good teams on their way to the title. They upset an undefeated Boyle (who had defeated them earlier in the season), a good Lex Cath squad (who likewise beat them earlier) and an undefeated Lawrence County on the way to the Final.

That's the tie in to this thread. Some have spoken out for those Lawrence County squads in '97 to '99.

I don't think that Lex Cath beat them that year they finished 4th and beat Danville in the second round to go to Bourbon for the Regional Finals.
Amped 88 Wrote:I don't think that Lex Cath beat them that year they finished 4th and beat Danville in the second round to go to Bourbon for the Regional Finals.

You're probably right, my memory is faulty with age. :biggrin:

:Thumbs: