Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Team That Didn't Win State
I did something like this last off-season with football programs, but I'm going to open it up again and make it a little different.

Who is the best team to not win a state title? They could have lost in the state finals, semi finals, regional finals, any round in the playoffs. Could even be a team that didn't make the playoffs because they had to forfeit their spot. Also talk about how good they were, why they didn't win state, etc.

For example, in Ohio, 1995 Colerain Cardinals were undefeated, ranked nationally, but had to forfeit their spot in the state finals for using an ineligible player. That's a team many Ohioans consider the best to never win a title. Obviously this isn't Ohio, but that's an example.

A few teams that come to mind:
1997 Highlands
2002 Male
2007 St. Xavier
2011 Mayfield
Going by class the 1982 Somerset team has to be up there in 2A. This was back in the days when only the district champion made the playoffs. The Briar Jumpers lost to Boyle County 28-27 when a last minute 2 point conversion was stopped. That was the only game that Somerset lost all season. 2 weeks later the Jumpers went to Corbin and beat the eventual 2A champion Redhounds 3 or 4 touchdowns--I can't remember the exact margin.
2008 Estill County. 2 Wins away from playing for a State Championship (Best team in school history)
2002 Male.

That was the best football game I ever watched in person.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2002 Russell

Lost 28-27 to Breathitt in OT on a missed extra point in the semis. Breathitt beat Corbin50-0 I believe in the state title game.
1991 & 1994 Pikeville Panthers
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:1991 & 1994 Pikeville Panthers
Not sure, have only seen film of both, but could you throw 1999 in there as well?

1999 was tragic.
I would go 2002 Male. From teams I have seen.
1984 Newport Wildcats.
LWC Wrote:2002 Male.

That was the best football game I ever watched in person.

I was there and agree.
FBALL Wrote:2002 Russell

Lost 28-27 to Breathitt in OT on a missed extra point in the semis. Breathitt beat Corbin51-0 I believe in the state title game.

Russell was the best team Breathitt played that year, so they get my vote.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My nephew played on the 94 team. They were pretty good.

My nephew played on the 94 team. They were pretty good.
1993 Prestonsburg. Ended Danville's 60 game win streak. Winning touchdown in finals called back on a holding penalty.
2008 Raceland Rams, 12-1 ranked #1 in the state; beat Ashland, Russell, Greenup, Lexington Christian, trouble was they coud not beat LC twice.
Cranium Wrote:1993 Prestonsburg. Ended Danville's 60 game win streak. Winning touchdown in finals called back on a holding penalty.

Good call
Norm Peterson Wrote:Going by class the 1982 Somerset team has to be up there in 2A. This was back in the days when only the district champion made the playoffs. The Briar Jumpers lost to Boyle County 28-27 when a last minute 2 point conversion was stopped. That was the only game that Somerset lost all season. 2 weeks later the Jumpers went to Corbin and beat the eventual 2A champion Redhounds 3 or 4 touchdowns--I can't remember the exact margin.

I thought of them as well. They were the best team I saw that year in AA. It's still the most complete Jumper team I saw back in those days.
Cranium Wrote:1993 Prestonsburg. Ended Danville's 60 game win streak. Winning touchdown in finals called back on a holding penalty.

I would say Danville in '93. Perstonsburg played the perfect game to beat the Admirals that season in the semi-finals. Danville wins 9 out of 10 but the Blackcats won when it mattered most. (BTW it was a 42 game winning streak. The state record is 50)

That Danville team beat the AAA and AAAA runners-up convincingly that season. It was the best of that 4 year juggernaut run Danville had.
2002 Russell gets my vote as the best that I have ever seen play and not win a state title. Gave Breathitt all they wanted and then some in front of one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen in Jackson. Breathitt scored anytime they wanted on anyone that year and Russell shut them down and forced a bunch of TO's in the first half. Breathitt's complete dismantling of Corbin in the title game that year should tell you how good Breathitt and Russell were that year compared to the rest of 2A.

Best HS football game I have ever watched by far. The 2nd half Justin Haddix played the best half of football I have ever seen a QB play considering the circumstances and what was on the line. Breathitt had to have every yard and every completion to pull it out.

Danville didn't have a 60 game win streak. They had one but it wasn't that many Trinity has the record with 50.
Yeah, whoops on the Danville streak numbers. Memory is getting worse by the day.
Cranium Wrote:Yeah, whoops on the Danville streak numbers. Memory is getting worse by the day.

I know that they did have a win streak can't remember what it was.
Amped 88 Wrote:I know that they did have a win streak can't remember what it was.

42 games.

57 out of 58 from 1991 through 1994.
That 93 game is still one of the most exciting games I've ever seen on any level of sports. I didn't think it would ever end. I remember the fog being so thick we had to leave the stands and go to field level to be able to see anything late in the game.
2007 Hazard- loss of MLB Bart Teague let Hayden run all over hazard
2008- Hazard- Runner up
2009- Hazard- 1 player quit and i believe hed would of made the difference.
WOW!! Cant believe nobody has mentioned the 97 or 99 Lawrence County Bulldog teams.
StrayBullet Wrote:WOW!! Cant believe nobody has mentioned the 97 or 99 Lawrence County Bulldog teams.

The '97 team came close but lost in the semi-finals to Cinderella Bourbon. The '99 team got steamrolled by the Birds.

A team that loses 76-36 doesn't deserve mention under this heading.
StrayBullet Wrote:WOW!! Cant believe nobody has mentioned the 97 or 99 Lawrence County Bulldog teams.

The 97 LC team in all honesty should have made it to the carpet. I think the emotional win and breaking Breathitt's streak the week before had them a little drained for the Bourbon game. I was at the Lawrence/Bourbon game and Lawrence came out flat.
I think it was either the 91 or 93 Hazard team. Pete Combs and Warren in the backfield. Beat Beechwood first game of the season that year. I think they ended up getting beat by Pikeville in the regional. Beechwood went on to win it.
The 97' Breathitt team. IMO had the makings to be the best Breathitt team ever. Had a ton back from the 15-0 2A title team.