Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Football Conference?
I think this is a good thing for getting football down here much more better.
With all of the consolidations and stuff happening in high schools around the state, middle schools can all finally start playing as 1 team in most places and get use to a high school system together.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I know of the 4 State Championships (Northern and Southern both with 2, each with a 7th & 8th grade). And I know that Bell & Whitley have a state runner up and Knox with a State Semi-Final. I will do my best to compare to another conference.

There is another conference who has 4 State Championships (3 8th grade & 1 7th grade). They also have 1 State Runner up and 3 State Semi-Finals.

BTW the year Southern Pulaski won their 8th grade State Championship I would be willing to say that they weren't even the third best 8th grade team in the State Tournament.

That's interesting. What conference is this and what teams are in it? Also, are the teams D-1, D-2, or D-3? To me that also makes a difference, to others, it may not.

You may be right about Southern Pulaski, but it is what it is. Heck, 2 of my final 4 predictions lost in the 1st round of the tournament this year (Bell & Lone Oak). That's just how tournaments go I guess.
Wildcat18 Wrote:That's interesting. What conference is this and what teams are in it? Also, are the teams D-1, D-2, or D-3? To me that also makes a difference, to others, it may not.

You may be right about Southern Pulaski, but it is what it is. Heck, 2 of my final 4 predictions lost in the 1st round of the tournament this year (Bell & Lone Oak). That's just how tournaments go I guess.

The conference is made up of Meece, Corbin, South Laurel, North Laurel, and Clay County. Also Bell County's only state championship appearance was while they were a member of this conference. Every year this conference has had a representative playing for a state championship. 3 of the schools are D1, and there is 1 D1 and D2.

And I was referring to the D2 and D3 state champions as being better than SW Pulaski the year they won.
^
Everybody runs from that conference as fast as they can.
Nobody like the hear all the whining.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:The conference is made up of Meece, Corbin, South Laurel, North Laurel, and Clay County. Also Bell County's only state championship appearance was while they were a member of this conference. Every year this conference has had a representative playing for a state championship. 3 of the schools are D1, and there is 1 D1 and D2.

And I was referring to the D2 and D3 state champions as being better than SW Pulaski the year they won.

I'll keep this short, hopefully without stepping on any toes. I have little respect for teams who won't play other teams unless they think they have a good shot at beating them. I'm not referring to Corbin, the Laurels, or Clay County.

You are probably right about last year's champions. Corbin may very well have been the best overall team in the state, regardless of division. But that don't happen often in my opinion. This season Meece would have won D-2, may have made a small run in D-1, but would have been eaten alive in later rounds.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^

Who was whining? Whitley left the conference because the conference upheld their ruling that holdbacks can't play during the year they are being held back. Bell left the conference after their coach had disagreements with all the other member schools. As for Whitley I don't agree with playing holdbacks during their holdback year, but if that's what a school/parent thinks is best I understand, and I have no problem with them. However, with Bell County if 6 other schools have a problem with you than maybe everyone should look at the common denominator.
I have a lot of respect for the Pulaski County, Whitley, and Knox programs. However I have a feeling it won't be long before there will be an altercation (not necessarily a fight, but an argument/disagreement) between Bell and other members of the conference. Bell has been in multiple conferences and their coaching staff just seems to have trouble co-existing in a conference.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I'll keep this short, hopefully without stepping on any toes. I have little respect for teams who won't play other teams unless they think they have a good shot at beating them. I'm not referring to Corbin, the Laurels, or Clay County.

You are probably right about last year's champions. Corbin may very well have been the best overall team in the state, regardless of division. But that don't happen often in my opinion. This season Meece would have won D-2, may have made a small run in D-1, but would have been eaten alive in later rounds.

I believe that there has been a clear cut best team regardless of the division the last three years. Bowling Green, Corbin, and Northern Pulaski IMO were all above the rest of the competition. I'm not so sure it will be that way this year though. Depending on whether or not Southern has any holdbacks to join their already great 7th grade squad.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I have a lot of respect for the Pulaski County, Whitley, and Knox programs. However I have a feeling it won't be long before there will be an altercation (not necessarily a fight, but an argument/disagreement) between Bell and other members of the conference. Bell has been in multiple conferences and their coaching staff just seems to have trouble co-existing in a conference.

I dont see why there would be an argument.
Bell was in a conference with Whitley, Knox North, Knox South, Middlesboro, and Harlan back in the day for a VERY long time and there was never any problems.
I dont see Bell having a problem with these schools, its putting up with schools like Corbin and Meece that you run into problems all the time...
There is always problems in middle and elementary games because no visiting team feels like they get a fair called game. The conference should give Paul Pietrowski the schedule of conference games and let him assign 4 registered high school officials for each game. The officials should NOT be from the area of the visiting or home school. If this was done 3-6 weeks in advance it would be no problem for Mr. Pietrowski to have it done.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont see why there would be an argument.
Bell was in a conference with Whitley, Knox North, Knox South, Middlesboro, and Harlan back in the day for a VERY long time and there was never any problems.
I dont see Bell having a problem with these schools, its putting up with schools like Corbin and Meece that you run into problems all the time...

Now I understand, sorry it took me a while... You were referring to Bell and Whitley whining when they don't get their way. I understand completely it's what everyone should do, when things don't go your way just quit.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Now I understand, sorry it took me a while... You were referring to Bell and Whitley whining when they don't get their way. I understand completely it's what everyone should do, when things don't go your way just quit.

When did Whitley or Bell quit ? I'm not sure about Bell because I am not associated with their program but I can't think of anytime Whitley quit.
footballfever Wrote:When did Whitley or Bell quit ? I'm not sure about Bell because I am not associated with their program but I can't think of anytime Whitley quit.

He obviously has small school syndrome or something.

The conference i was referring to was a great conference.
Every team was very competetive.

This new conference is even better though in my opinion.

Whitley has never quit any conference to my knowledge, but since bigblue is so knowledgable of the situation maybe he can let us know what year and conference it was that Whitley "quit".

Its the schools like Corbin and Meece that want to bow out when they know there outmatched. They definitely want to play though when they know they can win.
footballfever Wrote:When did Whitley or Bell quit ? I'm not sure about Bell because I am not associated with their program but I can't think of anytime Whitley quit.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:He obviously has small school syndrome or something.

The conference i was referring to was a great conference.
Every team was very competetive.

This new conference is even better though in my opinion.

Whitley has never quit any conference to my knowledge, but since bigblue is so knowledgable of the situation maybe he can let us know what year and conference it was that Whitley "quit".

Its the schools like Corbin and Meece that want to bow out when they know there outmatched. They definitely want to play though when they know they can win.

Whitley was in the conference with Clay, Corbin, Meece, Bell, and the Laurel County Schools. After the 2008 season Dalton Sizemore's first 8th grade season, Whitley wanted to vote on changing the conference by laws stating that hold backs cant play during their hold back year. Sizemore was holding back and they wanted him to play. At the conference meeting the conference voted to uphold their by laws. Whitley didn't take it very well and decided they would leave the conference in order to be able to play Sizemore during conference games and keep their QB of the future.

As for Bell County they had several altercations with every team in the conference. After the 2009 season Bell didnt want to participate in any of the off-season conference meetings and were unanimously voted out of the conference.

As for you RunItUpTheGut, anytime you want to talk sports that's fine cause I'm more than willing to give you facts. But you sit back with asinine comments such as the ones you have posted, and it doesn't even warrant a response from me. You act like you are in the know in whitley county sports yet you dont post anything that is factual. You just hope that footballfever will come to the rescue with real information. Finally, I'm a sports fan I like all area teams around the tri-county and keep up with them. So don't assume you know me or what kind of person I am.
Gobigblue
The rule of no holdbacks was added after it was found out Sizemore was holding back.
I'm not sure if allowing holdbacks to play is something i'm in favor of but my ? is if I have a 8th grader who holds back and will turn 15 in april and you have a 8th grader who held back in 6th grade and will turn 15 in april what is the difference?
footballfever Wrote:Gobigblue
The rule of no holdbacks was added after it was found out Sizemore was holding back.
I'm not sure if allowing holdbacks to play is something i'm in favor of but my ? is if I have a 8th grader who holds back and will turn 15 in april and you have a 8th grader who held back in 6th grade and will turn 15 in april what is the difference?

I don't have anything against holding back. If you look at other forums addressing holding back kids I've always been pro holding back and giving kids the best opportunity for their future. With that said to answer your question the difference is being allowed to play 2 consecutive years in the same grade. Should a kid be allowed to compete for 2 8th grade state championsips? Idk where the line should be drawn in this situation, just giving you my opinion.

And as far as the conference backlash with whitley, the other schools site base councils had the policy in effect as far as I can remember. So whitley still had the decision to stay in the conference and be compliant with the rules voted on by the teams or leave the conference which they did.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I don't have anything against holding back. If you look at other forums addressing holding back kids I've always been pro holding back and giving kids the best opportunity for their future. With that said to answer your question the difference is being allowed to play 2 consecutive years in the same grade. Should a kid be allowed to compete for 2 8th grade state championsips? Idk where the line should be drawn in this situation, just giving you my opinion.

And as far as the conference backlash with whitley, the other schools site base councils had the policy in effect as far as I can remember. So whitley still had the decision to stay in the conference and be compliant with the rules voted on by the teams or leave the conference which they did.

I agree with you about holdbacks. I dont want to and mine is not going to graduate at 17 or just turning 18. I wasn't associated alot with Whitley at that time but my conversation with coaches was rule was put in after player was said to be holding back not by schools but by coaches. Either way Whitley had choice not play in conference or not play kid. Since school board allowed holdbacks to play it would have been hard to not allow him.
I agree I'm not sure where line should be drawn. Holding 4-6-8 8th back 1 year I dont like.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Whitley was in the conference with Clay, Corbin, Meece, Bell, and the Laurel County Schools. After the 2008 season Dalton Sizemore's first 8th grade season, Whitley wanted to vote on changing the conference by laws stating that hold backs cant play during their hold back year. Sizemore was holding back and they wanted him to play. At the conference meeting the conference voted to uphold their by laws. Whitley didn't take it very well and decided they would leave the conference in order to be able to play Sizemore during conference games and keep their QB of the future.

As for Bell County they had several altercations with every team in the conference. After the 2009 season Bell didnt want to participate in any of the off-season conference meetings and were unanimously voted out of the conference.

As for you RunItUpTheGut, anytime you want to talk sports that's fine cause I'm more than willing to give you facts. But you sit back with asinine comments such as the ones you have posted, and it doesn't even warrant a response from me. You act like you are in the know in whitley county sports yet you dont post anything that is factual. You just hope that footballfever will come to the rescue with real information. Finally, I'm a sports fan I like all area teams around the tri-county and keep up with them. So don't assume you know me or what kind of person I am.

lol you mad sweetheart?
Youre completely right what can i say.
Ive actually never even been to the Whitley County campus, im a complete fraud:eyeroll:

You hate the thought of getting proved wrong...

I dont understand what your getting at. Ive made my case very clear. As for fever, its stupid to say something like that. Ive had a lot more heated discussions with him than i have you.

Better get YOUR facts straight...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:lol you mad sweetheart?
Youre completely right what can i say.
Ive actually never even been to the Whitley County campus, im a complete fraud:eyeroll:

You hate the thought of getting proved wrong...

I dont understand what your getting at. Ive made my case very clear. As for fever, its stupid to say something like that. Ive had a lot more heated discussions with him than i have you.

Better get YOUR facts straight...

You have proved nothing on the subject we were talking about. The only thing you have proved is when you can't win a sports argument you decide to just attack others personally. I don't get my feelings hurt by people talking on the Internet, I just rather not respond to those who can't stay on the topic at hand. In your last post not once did you refer to the topic that was previously mentioned.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:You have proved nothing on the subject we were talking about. The only thing you have proved is when you can't win a sports argument you decide to just attack others personally. I don't get my feelings hurt by people talking on the Internet, I just rather not respond to those who can't stay on the topic at hand. In your last post not once did you refer to the topic that was previously mentioned.

:Sad04:
This is the whining part i was talking about.

If anyone hasnt proved anything its you.
You called Bell and Whitley quitters and full of holdbacks. But then you say you dont have a problem with holdbacks so i really dont even understand what youre rambling about now.

Holdbacks are legal as long as you within the age requirements.
As long as you dont turn 19 before Aug 1st of you senior year you still have all four years of eligiblity.
Schools in that conference like Corbin were getting mad because Whitley had more kids to choose from and by holding 1-2 backs they felt they were getting the shaft.

Thats why i enjoy the division set up more now than ever. You now have three divisions that teams are seperated out evenly by numbers.
If anyone like Corbin has a problem with holdbacks and doesnt allow it at there school, then why not just start your own league called the no holdback league and that way all 4 teams in the sstate that do that can live happily ever after.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::Sad04:
This is the whining part i was talking about.

If anyone hasnt proved anything its you.
You called Bell and Whitley quitters and full of holdbacks. But then you say you dont have a problem with holdbacks so i really dont even understand what youre rambling about now.

Holdbacks are legal as long as you within the age requirements.
As long as you dont turn 19 before Aug 1st of you senior year you still have all four years of eligiblity.
Schools in that conference like Corbin were getting mad because Whitley had more kids to choose from and by holding 1-2 backs they felt they were getting the shaft.

Thats why i enjoy the division set up more now than ever. You now have three divisions that teams are seperated out evenly by numbers.
If anyone like Corbin has a problem with holdbacks and doesnt allow it at there school, then why not just start your own league called the no holdback league and that way all 4 teams in the sstate that do that can live happily ever after.

HAHAHAHAHA... now you're just cracking me up. You say that I haven't proved anything, yet you asked me to provide the year and conference they quit, and I did. As far as me complaining about holdbacks, IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!!! You find a post when I have complained about kids holding back and I will NEVER post on this site again. And as far as me whining I've been smiling after every post I've read of yours, they are comical, you are comical.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:HAHAHAHAHA... now you're just cracking me up. You say that I haven't proved anything, yet you asked me to provide the year and conference they quit, and I did. As far as me complaining about holdbacks, IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!!! You find a post when I have complained about kids holding back and I will NEVER post on this site again. And as far as me whining I've been smiling after every post I've read of yours, they are comical, you are comical.

And you post again doing the same thing....

Can i get you a tissue?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:And you post again doing the same thing....

Can i get you a tissue?

It's okay just keep running from the topic at hand, I wouldn't expect anything else from you.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:It's okay just keep running from the topic at hand, I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

Worthless....

Why is it that no matter what happens, Corbin people always find a way to blame things on the other group(s) involved? It seems as if nothing is ever their fault. Whitley Middle was in a conference with Corbin, Clay, Bell, Meece and others but they were pushed out along with Bell. Say what you want, nobody wanted either of those teams in that conference for fear of finishing behind them in the standings. This now is a moot point and will forever be one since most of the teams in the old conference will not play Whitley or Bell. Oh by the way Corbin holds kids back too, it is not just a thing that happens in the county schools.
Just to clear up some of the non factual statements in this thread. We (Meece) don't refuse to play Northern because of their holdbacks. We refuse to play them because in the past their coach has made classless moves in games against our legitimate middle schoolers. Half back passes as time expires when you are up 50 something is not the way we play and is not something we want our kids to think is ok. Personal grudges between coaches has no place in middle school athletics, bottom line. Not saying that Max is a saint, but I fully respect and stand behind his decision to not play Northern. Do we back away from other teams with holdbacks?
^
Good post, havent you seen you in a while.

Sites pretty dead this time of year.
Good post, havent you seen you in a while.

Sites pretty dead this time of year.

Yeah, I still read and post some in the high school and politics forums but I've been working and training for the Air Force so I don't have as much time as I did when I was still in school. I finished my degree last year so I had a lot of time then. Here in a few months though I probably won't be on much at all for a year or two. I'll try to drop in from time to time but unfortunately I will probably be missing out on next season and maybe the one after that for my Jumpers, barring an unexpected issue at MEPS next week. Won't make the rematch with you guys next season, sad to say.
RoShamBo Wrote:Just to clear up some of the non factual statements in this thread. We (Meece) don't refuse to play Northern because of their holdbacks. We refuse to play them because in the past their coach has made classless moves in games against our legitimate middle schoolers. Half back passes as time expires when you are up 50 something is not the way we play and is not something we want our kids to think is ok. Personal grudges between coaches has no place in middle school athletics, bottom line. Not saying that Max is a saint, but I fully respect and stand behind his decision to not play Northern. Do we back away from other teams with holdbacks?

You sound very believable, but you're incorrect in most of your assessments. Northern's coach has only been the head man here for 2 seasons, only playing Meece in both grades his first year. We've never led Meece by 50 (to Meece's credit). I believe 38 points in one game was the max. I know Meece was on the schedule a few weeks prior to the start of this last season, the same time in which your coach posted a "Looking For" game on the listserv for the same date we were scheduled to play. He never notified our coach from the way I understood it. Our coach contacted yours to verify, in which your coach used a lot of profanity and hung up. So honestly, it's not really fair in my opinion for you to get on here and bash our guy when yours is no better. Everyone knows there is a little tension, but I personally don't think our coach holds a grudge (we've been friends for a long time, he hasn't said anything about it to me since the game was unknowingly canceled), but I've seen first hand that yours does.

On a more important note, I appreciate your endeavors with the Air Force, as I'm sure a lot of others do as well. I have a cousin who was the QB for AFA back a few years ago and is currently serving in Afghanistan. Good luck with all of that man. Some things are more important than athletics.
^
With the recent alignment and the way things are now, i think it benefits schools to NOT play down in division.
For example, i see nothing wrong with Meece and Northern now as they have nothing to do with each other when it comes to state.

Putting in the system we have right now was really good for middle school football.