Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Rumor) Jason Kinner out as Paintsville's head coach.
TheBigLebowski Wrote:Great post :Thumbs:
Joe would be the best choice for the job by far. The people in Paintsville really love him as a coach and even more as a person.
I like that choice myself.:welcome::worthy::Thumbs::Cheerlead:please:
Ik when I played we all loved Chirico.
a name that no one has mentioned is Thacker at Pikeville. Thacker was a head coach in Sc and from what i understand he was very succeful there. i know he was a college coach for years. he has done a great job with Pikeville the last two years and would be a great fit there. Just a thought??
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:From what I have heard Chirico has applied. I really hope this is true.
Where did you hear this from? I hope the Tigers wise up and bring Chirico back. They screwed up when they let him and Jim Tom go.
Not sure what happened with Kyle Moore at Breathitt (I don't think he's teaching/coaching anymore), but he was a heck of an asst. coach with several years of experience. With the success that program's had, he would be somebody I would at least check out.
I've heard Paintsville is wanting to hire Joe Chirico back to be the head coach. Is this true or is this just another rumor? I think this would be a great choice because of his football background and coaching experience.
If I were Paintsville I would see if Tony Burchett from Powel would be interested. He has done an excellent job at Powell since leaving JC.
Any progress being made?
TheBigLebowski Wrote:Any progress being made?

There have been quite a few applications put it.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:There have been quite a few applications put it.
Such as?
TheBigLebowski Wrote:Such as?

I have heard the following info all of this is to be treated as a rumor. In order of who IMO should get the job if they actually applied.

1- Bill Letton. Don't believe it but id love to see it.
2- Joe Chirico, love to see it happen
3- Chester McCoy, Another Hire I would love to see.
4- Shawn Hager, DK if it is true but it would be a good hire.
5- BMR, He would build a good staff, but not a great hire.

A very very distant #6 Jimmy Daniels. Nuff said.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I have heard the following info all of this is to be treated as a rumor. In order of who IMO should get the job if they actually applied.

1- Bill Letton. Don't believe it but id love to see it.
2- Joe Chirico, love to see it happen
3- Chester McCoy, Another Hire I would love to see.
4- Shawn Hager, DK if it is true but it would be a good hire.
5- BMR, He would build a good staff, but not a great hire.

A very very distant #6 Jimmy Daniels. Nuff said.

If Bill Letton applied (Which I don't know why he'd leave Lexington Catholic) he'd be my choice IMO. He has done a terrific job at Lexington Catholic and he has his Knights ready to play every single year in every single game
Strikeout King Wrote:If Bill Letton applied (Which I don't know why he'd leave Lexington Catholic) he'd be my choice IMO. He has done a terrific job at Lexington Catholic and he has his Knights ready to play every single year in every single game

The rumor is he wants to get back into eastern kentucky. But once more I don't believe it for a second. But yes he coached My older brother Larry at P-Burg both as a HC, and a Linebacker coach. Larry got hand written letters from Penn State, But chose UK. Either way though he is the man that made Larry great.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:The rumor is he wants to get back into eastern kentucky. But once more I don't believe it for a second. But yes he coached My older brother Larry at P-Burg both as a HC, and a Linebacker coach. Larry got hand written letters from Penn State, But chose UK. Either way though he is the man that made Larry great.

we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the offseason I guess
to get a guy like Letton, Paintsville would need some curb appeal.
We would have to throw out some of the money we have in the schools saving account. But there is no shot of that happening.
This could be very interesting lol
I had a Paintsville parent tell me that they were going to hire Joe Chirico.
Hate to hear that (for Prestonsburg) if true...

Joe may be one of the best coaches I have seen in any sport. He has the total package for a coach: superior knowledge, great motivational skills, ability to communicate with kids, and just a great, likeable guy. I know this past year was tough for him, with his daughter cheering for Paintsville and him coaching at Prestonsburg, so I can definitely see him making the move. I was just kinda hoping he would stay at Prestonsburg...

If true, Paintsville got a great coach.
cat86 Wrote:Hate to hear that (for Prestonsburg) if true...

Joe may be one of the best coaches I have seen in any sport. He has the total package for a coach: superior knowledge, great motivational skills, ability to communicate with kids, and just a great, likeable guy. I know this past year was tough for him, with his daughter cheering for Paintsville and him coaching at Prestonsburg, so I can definitely see him making the move. I was just kinda hoping he would stay at Prestonsburg...

If true, Paintsville got a great coach.

If he is to become paintsville's head coach It will make me one happy man. Like I said above he is a guy that will get the numbers up, and have them ready to play.
Here is keeping the fingers crossed. Perhaps "A day late and dollar short", but "Better late than never".
This job will get more lookers than people think as the Elementary and Middle School Program has some strong talent. With the schedule they have been playing, no reason they can't make a turnaround with the right system and coach. I do think there will be some outside the norm names apply perhaps some from central Ky. With what we know of the area however, here would be who i would consider Paintsville's Top 4.....

1. Shawn Hager- Sheldon Clark- Desite his poor season this year he is a proven winner. Had his team not have had multiple turnovers on the goal line 2 years ago at Somerset in the Regional Finals and he would have probably been a state championship coach at SCHS. The opportunity at Paintsville would be there almost every year seeing as how i think he would be able to get the talent on the field and is a very fundamental oriented coach. Good blocking and tackling is what Paintsville has lacked in recent seasons. That is something that would be back almost immediately.

2. Chester McCoy- Magoffin County- Doesn't have a stellar record but has won games and competed in 80% or better of the games he has coached. The administration at Magoffin County, namely the Supt, wants the program to end and frankly has tried to make it happen. This year McCoy coached the team by himself with the help of a couple parents after the Supt didn't hire McCoy's son back and for the most part ran off most of the para-proffessionals. Not saying this should matter, but certainly explains why McCoy hasnt won more games. McCoy is also a blocking and tackling first coach.

3. James Derosset- Prestonsburg- The long time D-Coordinator is still a relatively young man and may be ready to move out of the shadows of his brother. Derosset has coached in several big games and won a ton of them because of his defense. Would be crazy for the administration not to give him a call and ask him to apply.

4. Justin Haddix- Perry Central- I know what you are saying.. "Why would he come to Paintsville when he is having success at Perry Central?" Here's why, Perry Central is 5A. It will be close to a miracle for them to advance past the regional finals even in their best year. At Paintsville with their schedule and Haddix' wide open and most importantly well coached offense, they could get the kids back out they need to compete. Again, this would be a call I would make if i was the Administration.

Here is a list of names that people are talking about and why i dont think they are candidates.......

Burr Lemaster- He is in administration at Painstville. Not sure on the school districts rules, but most don't allow administrators to be head coaches. Plus, he gave up the coaching job so he could be an administrator.

Joe Chirico- I can't see him coming back after the way Paintsville did Coach Allen.

Bill Mike Runyon- Great coach and great motivator, but this isnt the sport he can do it in. He had a decent record in his one season as Fball coach but it was because they were more talented than 80% of the teams they played and he had Jim Tom there doing most of the coaching.

Jimmy Daniels- He was the OC this year for Paintsville... Nuff Said.
I think your coach comes from one of your bottom four mcdaddy........
MCDADDY Wrote:This job will get more lookers than people think as the Elementary and Middle School Program has some strong talent. With the schedule they have been playing, no reason they can't make a turnaround with the right system and coach. I do think there will be some outside the norm names apply perhaps some from central Ky. With what we know of the area however, here would be who i would consider Paintsville's Top 4.....

1. Shawn Hager- Sheldon Clark- Desite his poor season this year he is a proven winner. Had his team not have had multiple turnovers on the goal line 2 years ago at Somerset in the Regional Finals and he would have probably been a state championship coach at SCHS. The opportunity at Paintsville would be there almost every year seeing as how i think he would be able to get the talent on the field and is a very fundamental oriented coach. Good blocking and tackling is what Paintsville has lacked in recent seasons. That is something that would be back almost immediately.

2. Chester McCoy- Magoffin County- Doesn't have a stellar record but has won games and competed in 80% or better of the games he has coached. The administration at Magoffin County, namely the Supt, wants the program to end and frankly has tried to make it happen. This year McCoy coached the team by himself with the help of a couple parents after the Supt didn't hire McCoy's son back and for the most part ran off most of the para-proffessionals. Not saying this should matter, but certainly explains why McCoy hasnt won more games. McCoy is also a blocking and tackling first coach.

3. James Derosset- Prestonsburg- The long time D-Coordinator is still a relatively young man and may be ready to move out of the shadows of his brother. Derosset has coached in several big games and won a ton of them because of his defense. Would be crazy for the administration not to give him a call and ask him to apply.

4. Justin Haddix- Perry Central- I know what you are saying.. "Why would he come to Paintsville when he is having success at Perry Central?" Here's why, Perry Central is 5A. It will be close to a miracle for them to advance past the regional finals even in their best year. At Paintsville with their schedule and Haddix' wide open and most importantly well coached offense, they could get the kids back out they need to compete. Again, this would be a call I would make if i was the Administration.

Here is a list of names that people are talking about and why i dont think they are candidates.......

Burr Lemaster- He is in administration at Painstville. Not sure on the school districts rules, but most don't allow administrators to be head coaches. Plus, he gave up the coaching job so he could be an administrator.

Joe Chirico- I can't see him coming back after the way Paintsville did Coach Allen.

Bill Mike Runyon- Great coach and great motivator, but this isnt the sport he can do it in. He had a decent record in his one season as Fball coach but it was because they were more talented than 80% of the teams they played and he had Jim Tom there doing most of the coaching.

In its best days, Paintsville rarely was a serious contender for a state title. Whoever takes the job will be a miracle worker if he returns the program to where it can be competitive in some years with Pikeville and Hazard. Paintsville has a relatively small enrollment and it has a soccer program that competes for talent. Short of hiring an outstanding recruiter and giving him a big budget to work with, it is unrealistic for Paintsville fans to expect more than a rare regional title. (I am kidding about hiring a recruiter.)
MCDADDY Wrote:This job will get more lookers than people think as the Elementary and Middle School Program has some strong talent. With the schedule they have been playing, no reason they can't make a turnaround with the right system and coach. I do think there will be some outside the norm names apply perhaps some from central Ky. With what we know of the area however, here would be who i would consider Paintsville's Top 4.....

I'm not sold on Hager. You say he is a fundamentals coach, but blocking was Sheldon Clarks biggest weakness this year.

I like Chester, I think he would do a good job. If he doesn't get the job, I hope whoever does could somehow talk him into coming over to be an assistant. I sure wouldn't sit back at MC and let the admin run my program into the ground and shut it down, leave and let em do what they want with it.

IDK if Haddix would PCC or not. You make a good point about Region Finals, but I don't think the people at PCC would let him go ($$$$).

Joe Chirico would be GREAT. Not sure what you have heard but he applied for the job. Why would he apply for the job if he didn't want it.

Coach Runyon is a good coach and great motivator, just like you said. But I don't think you and alot of others give him credit for being a good football coach. I've heard all the stuff that supposedly went on in 05' when he was the head. I can tell you and everybody else who doubts him, the man knows football. He was an assistant all 4 years I played, and called 90% of the plays. Two Region Finals and one State Semi-Finals, and that was back when we only had 4 Classes, and the competition level was much higher then it is now, especially in Class A football.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In its best days, Paintsville rarely was a serious contender for a state title. Whoever takes the job will be a miracle worker if he returns the program to where it can be competitive in some years with Pikeville and Hazard. Paintsville has a relatively small enrollment and it has a soccer program that competes for talent. Short of hiring an outstanding recruiter and giving him a big budget to work with, it is unrealistic for Paintsville fans to expect more than a rare regional title. (I am kidding about hiring a recruiter.)

Late 70's and most of the 80's would be considered Paintsville's best days. Paintsville was a serious contenter to win a state title most of those years. Only the district champion made the playoffs back in those days. Paintsville was ranked one of the tops in the state every year for a reason. When it came playoff time, you didn't see these crazy blowouts you see now days, any team could win on any night. No, Paintsville doesn't have a state championship trophy, they do have a couple runner-up trophies.
Redneck Wrote:Late 70's and most of the 80's would be considered Paintsville's best days. Paintsville was a serious contenter to win a state title most of those years. Only the district champion made the playoffs back in those days. Paintsville was ranked one of the tops in the state every year for a reason. When it came playoff time, you didn't see these crazy blowouts you see now days, any team could win on any night. No, Paintsville doesn't have a state championship trophy, they do have a couple runner-up trophies.
Football was king in those days at Paintsville, there was no soccer program, and Johnson Central had a weak program during most of that era. Even then, when the Tigers met the top Class A teams in the state, they almost always lost. I remember watching the Tigers play Lynch several times (before the big mines there closed), and I remember that Paintsville sometimes hung around for a half but the second half always belonged to Lynch. Likewise, I also remember some very good Paintsville teams getting blown out by Belvue and Beechwood.

I am not trying to insult Paintsville's football program or its fans - but whoever takes this job will not be stepping into a position where they will be able to build a team that will compete with Mayfield, Beechwood, and other top Class A teams for state titles. A state title for the Tigers in today's world would be a miracle.

That being said, Paintsville has a very rich football tradition and strong community support. Even Walter Brugh never won a state title at Paintsville, so the likelihood of winning a state title should not factor into anybody's decision of whether to take the job. I think that the Paintsville job, especially with the recent success of the young Tigers teams, is a plum.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Football was king in those days at Paintsville, there was no soccer program, and Johnson Central had a weak program during most of that era. Even then, when the Tigers met the top Class A teams in the state, they almost always lost. I remember watching the Tigers play Lynch several times (before the big mines there closed), and I remember that Paintsville sometimes hung around for a half but the second half always belonged to Lynch. Likewise, I also remember some very good Paintsville teams getting blown out by Belvue and Beechwood.

I am not trying to insult Paintsville's football program or its fans - but whoever takes this job will not be stepping into a position where they will be able to build a team that will compete with Mayfield, Beechwood, and other top Class A teams for state titles. A state title for the Tigers in today's world would be a miracle.

That being said, Paintsville has a very rich football tradition and strong community support. Even Walter Brugh never won a state title at Paintsville, so the likelihood of winning a state title should not factor into anybody's decision of whether to take the job. I think that the Paintsville job, especially with the recent success of the young Tigers teams, is a plum.

I wasn't around during those days, but I can't remember ever seeing anywhere that Paintsville got blown out by any of those teams during that time.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Football was king in those days at Paintsville, there was no soccer program, and Johnson Central had a weak program during most of that era. Even then, when the Tigers met the top Class A teams in the state, they almost always lost. I remember watching the Tigers play Lynch several times (before the big mines there closed), and I remember that Paintsville sometimes hung around for a half but the second half always belonged to Lynch. Likewise, I also remember some very good Paintsville teams getting blown out by Belvue and Beechwood.

Hoot, I'm sorry you have alzheimers. Paintsville was never a victom of blowouts by anyone in the mid 70's thru the mid 80's. In 76 Bellevue beat PHS 17-16 in the semis. In 78 we beat Beechwood 7-0 in the semis. In 79 Bellevue beat us 7-0 in the semis.

We regularly pasted Johnson Central and other local teams. The Pikeville game was always a good one, though.
JarrBill525 Wrote:Hoot, I'm sorry you have alzheimers. Paintsville was never a victom of blowouts by anyone in the mid 70's thru the mid 80's. In 76 Bellevue beat PHS 17-16 in the semis. In 78 we beat Beechwood 7-0 in the semis. In 79 Bellevue beat us 7-0 in the semis.

We regularly pasted Johnson Central and other local teams. The Pikeville game was always a good one, though.
I never said when Paintsville was blown out by Bellvue and Beechwood - it may have been the late 80s or the 90s.

The bottom line is that Paintsville may never compete for another state title regardless of who they hire because of their small enrollment and the other factors mentioned above - but that does not mean that the right coach cannot rebuild the program into one that can compete with the best small schools in the eastern Kentucky and with most small schools across the state. Paintsville's population has been shrinking and the district boundaries have not expanded. Johnson County and Paintsville may grow but the Paintsville Independent school district is as big as it is going to get.

BTW, I did find the two scores below on the KHSAA website and I think that they qualify as blowout losses, so maybe I have not developed Alzheimer's just yet.

1998 Beechwood 39-8
2001 Newport Central Catholic 59-8