Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Rumor) Jason Kinner out as Paintsville's head coach.
1998 Beechwood 39-8
2001 Newport Central Catholic 59-8

That was not Paintsville's glory days.
JarrBill525 Wrote:1998 Beechwood 39-8

That was not Paintsville's glory days.
Maybe not, but any Paintsville fan who expects a new coach to field a team that will compete for the state title is being unreasonable. Perry County Central has a much better chance of winning a 5A title someday than Paintsville has of winning a 1A title, IMO, because the difference in enrollment between a small 1A school and a large 1A school is a huge factor compared to the difference that it makes between the largest and smallest 2A through 5A schools.

If a new coach can return Paintsville's program to the point that it can compete with Raceland and Fairview consistently and occasionally beat Pikeville, Prestonsburg, and Hazard, then nobody should expect any more. If they do, then they will be disappointed.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe not, but any Paintsville fan who expects a new coach to field a team that will compete for the state title is being unreasonable. Perry County Central has a much better chance of winning a 5A title someday than Paintsville has of winning a 1A title, IMO, because the difference in enrollment between a small 1A school and a large 1A school is a huge factor compared to the difference that it makes between the largest and smallest 2A through 5A schools.

If a new coach can return Paintsville's program to the point that it can compete with Raceland and Fairview consistently and occasionally beat Pikeville, Prestonsburg, and Hazard, then nobody should expect any more. If they do, then they will be disappointed.

I agree because that guy can walk on water.
It will take a few years under a good coach to get Paintsville back. Paintsville was very fortunate to come from behind and beat Jenkins. That's a level Paintsville does not want to be.
JarrBill525 Wrote:2001 Newport Central Catholic 59-8

I was kicked off another board for a comment that I made about this game. All I said was that I thought it was supposed to be a varsity game, not a freshman game. No, this wasn't glorious by any standard. Reach higher.
Kinda scary that it was that long ago......:okay:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I never said when Paintsville was blown out by Bellvue and Beechwood - it may have been the late 80s or the 90s.

The bottom line is that Paintsville may never compete for another state title regardless of who they hire because of their small enrollment and the other factors mentioned above - but that does not mean that the right coach cannot rebuild the program into one that can compete with the best small schools in the eastern Kentucky and with most small schools across the state. Paintsville's population has been shrinking and the district boundaries have not expanded. Johnson County and Paintsville may grow but the Paintsville Independent school district is as big as it is going to get.

BTW, I did find the two scores below on the KHSAA website and I think that they qualify as blowout losses, so maybe I have not developed Alzheimer's just yet.

1998 Beechwood 39-8

Yea, that wasn't Paintsville's glory days. You said you remembered Paintsville playing Lynch back before the big mines closed down, and Paintsville getting blowed out by them, Bellvue, and Beechwood. That would have been around the mid 70's to mid 80's, which Paintsville did not get blew out by those teams. Close games, won some, lost some. As for the 2001 Pville/NCC State Semi-Final game, NCC was loaded, had their All-State RB not got injured in the game against us and missed the State Championship, NCC wins, should have won anyways. There's not one of Matney's JC teams that could have played with NCC, Beechwood, or Danville back then. I am in no way saying that with the right hire that Paintsville could compete for State, that's just not realistic. Mayfield and Beechwood are in a league of their own. Look how good Hazard has been the last few years, and look how they faired at State. Right now, I think all the Paintsville fans will be happy just to be competitive in district and region play.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Can you dig it? Wrote:I was kicked off another board for a comment that I made about this game. All I said was that I thought it was supposed to be a varsity game, not a freshman game. No, this wasn't glorious by any standard. Reach higher.
Kinda scary that it was that long ago......:okay:

I played in it. No doubt that NCC was the better team, but we sure didn't come out ready to play. Had we played that game like we did against Middlesboro and Fleming Neon, that game wouldn't have been so lopsided.
Redneck Wrote:Yea, that wasn't Paintsville's glory days. You said you remembered Paintsville playing Lynch back before the big mines closed down, and Paintsville getting blowed out by them, Bellvue, and Beechwood. That would have been around the mid 70's to mid 80's, which Paintsville did not get blew out by those teams. Close games, won some, lost some. As for the 2001 Pville/NCC State Semi-Final game, NCC was loaded, had their All-State RB not got injured in the game against us and missed the State Championship, NCC wins, should have won anyways. There's not one of Matney's JC teams that could have played with NCC, Beechwood, or Danville back then. I am in no way saying that with the right hire that Paintsville could compete for State, that's just not realistic. Mayfield and Beechwood are in a league of their own. Look how good Hazard has been the last few years, and look how they faired at State. Right now, I think all the Paintsville fans will be happy just to be competitive in district and region play.
I wish that the scores for those seasons were still available so nobody would need to rely on their memories. My memories of the games that I watched Paintsville play in the 70s are fading fast but I don't think that the Tigers can return to the level that they were at during that era regardless of who coaches the team. I just want to see them compete for district titles again. Anything beyond that will be gravy.
Redneck Wrote:I'm not sold on Hager. You say he is a fundamentals coach, but blocking was Sheldon Clarks biggest weakness this year.

I like Chester, I think he would do a good job. If he doesn't get the job, I hope whoever does could somehow talk him into coming over to be an assistant. I sure wouldn't sit back at MC and let the admin run my program into the ground and shut it down, leave and let em do what they want with it.

IDK if Haddix would PCC or not. You make a good point about Region Finals, but I don't think the people at PCC would let him go ($$$$).

Joe Chirico would be GREAT. Not sure what you have heard but he applied for the job. Why would he apply for the job if he didn't want it.

Coach Runyon is a good coach and great motivator, just like you said. But I don't think you and alot of others give him credit for being a good football coach. I've heard all the stuff that supposedly went on in 05' when he was the head. I can tell you and everybody else who doubts him, the man knows football. He was an assistant all 4 years I played, and called 90% of the plays. Two Region Finals and one State Semi-Finals, and that was back when we only had 4 Classes, and the competition level was much higher then it is now, especially in Class A football.

Redneck, I agree with you on Chester McCoy and Joe Chirico being a good hire for Paintsville. I know for a fact that BMR didn't call the plays when Burr was the head coach. He may have suggested a play here and there but that is the extent of it. To say he called 90% of the plays is way off. I really don't remember BMR giving any plays to Travis or Chas to send into the game. You say BMR has all of this "football knowledge" but my question is, was he keeping it to himself in '05? From what I hear from parents and players he really didn't anything on that team. For a man that you say called 90% of plays as an assistant and has all of this knowledge, why would he not put all of this experience and knowledge to use when he was the head coach? I just punched that in my calculator and that just isn't adding up. You were right on him being a first class motivator!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I never said when Paintsville was blown out by Bellvue and Beechwood - it may have been the late 80s or the 90s.

The bottom line is that Paintsville may never compete for another state title regardless of who they hire because of their small enrollment and the other factors mentioned above - but that does not mean that the right coach cannot rebuild the program into one that can compete with the best small schools in the eastern Kentucky and with most small schools across the state. Paintsville's population has been shrinking and the district boundaries have not expanded. Johnson County and Paintsville may grow but the Paintsville Independent school district is as big as it is going to get.

BTW, I did find the two scores below on the KHSAA website and I think that they qualify as blowout losses, so maybe I have not developed Alzheimer's just yet.

1998 Beechwood 39-8
Hoot you may very well be correct about the future even if there is an an out of sight hire. Remember that Paintsville has been further down the road than some, with two runner-up trophy's but not as far as others. Would one not think that Class A easier than a higher class?
delete
Redneck Wrote:Yea, that wasn't Paintsville's glory days. You said you remembered Paintsville playing Lynch back before the big mines closed down, and Paintsville getting blowed out by them, Bellvue, and Beechwood. That would have been around the mid 70's to mid 80's, which Paintsville did not get blew out by those teams. Close games, won some, lost some. As for the 2001 Pville/NCC State Semi-Final game, NCC was loaded, had their All-State RB not got injured in the game against us and missed the State Championship, NCC wins, should have won anyways. There's not one of Matney's JC teams that could have played with NCC, Beechwood, or Danville back then. I am in no way saying that with the right hire that Paintsville could compete for State, that's just not realistic. Mayfield and Beechwood are in a league of their own. Look how good Hazard has been the last few years, and look how they faired at State. Right now, I think all the Paintsville fans will be happy just to be competitive in district and region play.
My memory Red says you are correct. Let me help just a little. No blow outs per say. Very easy KHSAA back then (monitoring??), I can suggest 61-62 with an All=American Halfback at Tigerville. A tough loss at Lynch. FB on that team has score probably. Your G-father may have been on that team.
The 1962 Paintsville Tiger Football team was 11-0 for the entire season. Their playoff bid was halted following a 0-0 tie with Mt. Sterling in the Class A Regiion 3 Championship game. The infamous Mud game was presented to Mt.Sterling following the then utilized Dickenson System. A blowout I do not think. The 60-61 teams
I remember as being much better. Opinion I suppose. A few D-1 Signees in these three years. Mike Minnix,John Porter and Basil Mullins. And yes folks they all three lived,went to school and were reared in the city limits.John Porter's father was the county Super. for a number of years but the family lived on 2nd street. It has in fact dipped very low compared to the "Way We Were". As to wheither any of it can be retrieved ??? This Super and Board just may have the answer!!!
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:The 1962 Paintsville Tiger Football team was 11-0 for the entire season. Their playoff bid was halted following a 0-0 tie with Mt. Sterling in the Class A Regiion 3 Championship game. The infamous Mud game was presented to Mt.Sterling following the then utilized Dickenson System. A blowout I do not think. The 60-61 teams
I remember as being much better. Opinion I suppose. A few D-1 Signees in these three years. Mike Minnix,John Porter and Basil Mullins. And yes folks they all three lived,went to school and were reared in the city limits.John Porter's father was the county Super. for a number of years but the family lived on 2nd street. It has in fact dipped very low compared to the "Way We Were". As to wheither any of it can be retrieved ??? This Super and Board just may have the answer!!!

Guys can you please spare us the history lesson? This thread is about the future of Paintsville football and what coach will be hired to rebuild.
IBleedTrueBlue Wrote:Guys can you please spare us the history lesson? This thread is about the future of Paintsville football and what coach will be hired to rebuild.
Well now TB I would respectfully submit to you that an overhaul of the Paintsville Football Program is much more comprehensive than the naming of a coach and the magical waving of the wand. If a positive change is to occur,it is my position that many factors are to be considered and the least of which would not be the past. This thread by title did not have its origin in "Building" but rather a possible "Changing Of The Guard". Like many others it certainly has developed. By the way may I ask how long your blood has been blue?
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Well now TB I would respectfully submit to you that an overhaul of the Paintsville Football Program is much more comprehensive than the naming of a coach and the magical waving of the wand. If a positive change is to occur,it is my position that many factors are to be considered and the least of which would not be the past. This thread by title did not have its origin in "Building" but rather a possible "Changing Of The Guard". Like many others it certainly has developed. By the way may I ask how long your blood has been blue?
Since you ask, my blood has been blue my whole life. Played for Brugh in the early 90's in his last few years. What year did you graduate from PHS? Wasn't trying to offend you with the history comment but I felt like the majority of the thread was about who would be a good fit for Paintsville, not talk about the glory days. I agree Paintsville has a great tradition but it isn't the 60's anymore. The real discussion should be about what are we going to do to turn the program around?
IBleedTrueBlue Wrote:Since you ask, my blood has been blue my whole life. Played for Brugh in the early 90's in his last few years. What year did you graduate from PHS? Wasn't trying to offend you with the history comment but I felt like the majority of the thread was about who would be a good fit for Paintsville, not talk about the glory days. I agree Paintsville has a great tradition but it isn't the 60's anymore. The real discussion should be about what are we going to do to turn the program around?
TB my blood was Blue probably 30+ years before you were born. Had my first Tiger Uniform in the 50's. I did graduate from there thanks to the likes of Lorraine Wiley, Mary McClafferty and Roger Lyons, without whose help Grad. work not have been possible. You may have to research those individuals, but I assure you it won't be hard. My whole intent during the last post was to say that the hiring of a coach is only a small part of this rebuilding process.The reflection of the past could serve as a motivational tool to assist the process. It is very sad but most people do not understand what PHS was all about. As Hoot has said on here the task at best, may not be possible. We have simply slipped to far with the variables that currently exist.When you think of the student athletes that have been lost(recently) you certainly are correct that it is a long way from 1960.
who all has applied?
Everyone I have talked to that works at the school has no idea who will get it. But I was told it will be announced relatively soon.
I am really hoping Joe Chirico get's this job. The man had an outstanding career at Marshall and has coached in Eastern KY for quite sometime. He would turn it around.
dirtybird Wrote:Redneck, I agree with you on Chester McCoy and Joe Chirico being a good hire for Paintsville. I know for a fact that BMR didn't call the plays when Burr was the head coach. He may have suggested a play here and there but that is the extent of it. To say he called 90% of the plays is way off. I really don't remember BMR giving any plays to Travis or Chas to send into the game. You say BMR has all of this "football knowledge" but my question is, was he keeping it to himself in '05? From what I hear from parents and players he really didn't anything on that team. For a man that you say called 90% of plays as an assistant and has all of this knowledge, why would he not put all of this experience and knowledge to use when he was the head coach? I just punched that in my calculator and that just isn't adding up. You were right on him being a first class motivator!

I played, I think I would know if he called any plays or not. 90% was a stretch though, I'll give ya that. If an assistant makes a "suggestion" and the head coach runs that play, wouldn't you say that the assistant pretty much called the play?